2017-2018 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3/5 and no mail yet... I think we're next!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm waiting for mine from 2/26 I'll let you know!!

Edit: yea nothing for me yet but I don't live in FL so who knows I'll check tomorrow

Last edited:
Interviewed late Feb, got my waitlist letter today. I can’t even lie im honored to even be considered/waitlisted at this school tbh.

Members don't see this ad :)
M1 and M2 are graded H/HP/P/F with non-mandatory recorded lectures, not too sure how they rank and if that rank is available in the dean's letter thing for residencies.

Based on some older threads I read, the school actually used to be true P/F but the Step 1 averages went down a little so admin decided to change things up.
This is correct. Pre-clinical and 3rd year clerkships are H/HP/P/F. They do keep an internal ranking but they do not make this information public. On the deans letter they don't report a class rank, but they do make a statement based on the number of honors/high pass you receive in 3rd year clerkships "outstanding, excellent, etc".

Do you know what their step 1 average is?
The step 1 average for the class of 2019 was ~227

There was another question asked about time allowed to study for step 1: they give 10-11 weeks, but strongly encourage you only take 6 weeks maximum and then take the remaining time for vacation (and to move up to PA if you are in Select). Personally, I used that extra time to get started on a research project which has paid enormous dividends. This generous break is one of the best aspects of the USF curriculum.

This is correct. Pre-clinical and 3rd year clerkships are H/HP/P/F. They do keep an internal ranking but they do not make this information public. On the deans letter they don't report a class rank, but they do make a statement based on the number of honors/high pass you receive in 3rd year clerkships "outstanding, excellent, etc".

The step 1 average for the class of 2019 was ~227

There was another question asked about time allowed to study for step 1: they give 10-11 weeks, but strongly encourage you only take 6 weeks maximum and then take the remaining time for vacation (and to move up to PA if you are in Select). Personally, I used that extra time to get started on a research project which has paid enormous dividends. This generous break is one of the best aspects of the USF curriculum.
Isn't 227 below average?

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any way of checking if you are waitlisted on the secondary portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way of checking if you are waitlisted on the secondary portal?
They said that they would update the portal, but it would be updated awhile after the letter was sent out

They said that they would update the portal, but it would be updated awhile after the letter was sent out

Ah gotcha, thanks. Just bit concerned because I interviewed Mid Feb and haven't heard back. I've checked my mail pretty thoroughly everyday, but I'm worried that I may have tossed the letter away by accident. Hopefully I see a status change soon!

they waitlist everyone, dont worry about getting a letter in the mail lmao ur waitlisted dood

they waitlist everyone, dont worry about getting a letter in the mail lmao ur waitlisted dood

They waitlist everyone they interview? So how do they decide who to choose off of the waitlist when there’s a seat available? Thats so much work and money to interview a bunch of people for a waitlist lol

They waitlist everyone they interview? So how do they decide who to choose off of the waitlist when there’s a seat available? Thats so much work and money to interview a bunch of people for a waitlist lol
If they accept people off the waitlist it’s not wasted money

I wish MSAR had the waitlist info for USF with # on it and # offered spots

also no idea how it works for core vs select as I'm with the latter

Edit: But fun fact, out of 10+ random schools I looked at that have a class size ~180 like Morsani, USF had the highest matriculant to interview invite ratio at 0.3 (573 interviews for 172 seats). Most places were around .25 and Einstein and BU were like .15!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Edit: But fun fact, out of 10+ random schools I looked at that have a class size ~180 like Morsani, USF had the highest matriculant to interview invite ratio at 0.3 (573 interviews for 172 seats). Most places were around .25 and Einstein and BU were like .15!
It probably has something to do with their fairly late interview cycle and being a state school so they don't interview kids who withdraw after being accepted at top schools early and I'm sure IS tuition sways a few more to come over higher ranked schools

Congrats on the scholarship! Did they tell you why you received it?

I received my scholarship letter, its a "Scholars Achievement" award. I'm pretty pumped on that! I never, never thought I would get a merit scholarship!!

Reactions: 4 users
I received my scholarship letter, its a "Scholars Achievement" award. I'm pretty pumped on that! I never, never thought I would get a merit scholarship!!
Congrats! Were you ED or RD?

I don’t think it’s a waste for them. My guess is that they only send out enough acceptances to fill their initial seats (like UCF). So that means they will need to take a pretty good amount off their waitlist (~1/3 of them probably) once their initial acceptances start Withdrawing. Thus, the need for a lot of waitlisted folks

I don’t think it’s a waste for them. My guess is that they only send out enough acceptances to fill their initial seats (like UCF). So that means they will need to take a pretty good amount off their waitlist (~1/3 of them probably) once their initial acceptances start Withdrawing. Thus, the need for a lot of waitlisted folks

Oh! That makes sense

Last edited:
Current MS1 here, wanted to respond to earlier questions about laptop requirements. It's mostly about exam software, as some of you guessed. And unfortunately they do actually check. During orientation you have to get your laptop verified by IT. They have loaner laptops for use on exams, though. They're primarily for people who have a tech issue or who accidentally leave their laptops at home, but I suppose theoretically you could use one for every test? I've never used one, so I can't be sure about that. I know for our year we were getting some mixed messages about what the exact requirements were (some from the previous years' class), but if you have any questions email Chad in student affairs (anyone who's been accepted has probably already gotten some emails from him) and ask.

Current MS1 here, wanted to respond to earlier questions about laptop requirements. It's mostly about exam software, as some of you guessed. And unfortunately they do actually check. During orientation you have to get your laptop verified by IT. They have loaner laptops for use on exams, though. They're primarily for people who have a tech issue or who accidentally leave their laptops at home, but I suppose theoretically you could use one for every test? I've never used one, so I can't be sure about that. I know for our year we were getting some mixed messages about what the exact requirements were (some from the previous years' class), but if you have any questions email Chad in student affairs (anyone who's been accepted has probably already gotten some emails from him) and ask.

I actually just sent him an e-mail to ask specifically about the laptop thing. I'll keep y'all updated.

Congrats. Hey uh, USF. I too would like some, uh, money. :help:

Reactions: 3 users
at this point i just want students with multiple acceptances to pick their school and drop usf already lol

Reactions: 6 users
at this point i just want students with multiple acceptances to pick their school and drop usf already lol

Maybe people waitlisted at usf who have multiple acceptances will drop off the waitlist too!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone hear about the prematriculation program and if it has been worth it to students in the past?

Just withdrew today. Good luck with this cycle and I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 10 users
Just declined my admission here. I hope my spot and merit $$ go to someone awesome!

Reactions: 11 users
Just declined my admission here. I hope my spot and merit $$ go to someone awesome!

That’s great of you! Best of luck elsewhere. Can I ask when/how you were notified of merit $?

Rejected pre II. Interesting rejection, it said my application was “strong”. Either they say that to everyone or it’s the their way of giving feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected pre II. Interesting rejection, it said my application was “strong”. Either they say that to everyone or it’s the their way of giving feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My rejection letter from last year had that phrase as well.

" although your application was strong, there are no additional interview seats available."

My rejection letter from last year had that phrase as well.

" although your application was strong, there are no additional interview seats available."

So does every pre-II rejection email have that phrase?

If anyone else's Financial Aid Award posted to Oasis, could you DM me? Mine was, and I wanna ask some questions.

I was bored at work and was looking through old threads and came across this! Not sure how accurate it is since its from 4 years ago but still interesting

I was notified of my wait list status via email the week before the 15th, even though I interviewed on 3/11. When I asked why it took nearly 2 months to put me on the wait list Adrienne told me that the class had been full since the end of February and the few acceptances given were from seats dropped by other students. She also said that in her honest estimation the top 50-66% of the wait list gets in at some point during the summer. I hope this is helpful, I'm going to call to follow up today to see if she has any more information regarding recent movement. This wait is awful, best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone else's Financial Aid Award posted to Oasis, could you DM me? Mine was, and I wanna ask some questions.
Yeah, my offer was posted on oasis today as well. I'm assuming it's not the full amount (which others on the FB group have posted about as well) since it doesn't match the estimated cost of attendance.

Yeah, my offer was posted on oasis today as well. I'm assuming it's not the full amount (which others on the FB group have posted about as well) since it doesn't match the estimated cost of attendance.

In the past it looks like some have said GradPlus isn't added until later on, and scholarship/grant monies aren't allocated until much later.

I was bored at work and was looking through old threads and came across this! Not sure how accurate it is since its from 4 years ago but still interesting
I really hope the odds are that good lol

+1