2017-2018 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi fam, i interviewed at lehigh valley and won't have the chance to make it to second look at Tampa ($$$). would someone mind telling me what the facilities were like? where do people study? how did you feel about the faculty/etc? did you get to interact with any faculty/how were they?

Members don't see this ad.

hi fam, i interviewed at lehigh valley and won't have the chance to make it to second look at Tampa ($$$). would someone mind telling me what the facilities were like? where do people study? how did you feel about the faculty/etc? did you get to interact with any faculty/how were they?

So we only saw the main campus during interview day, but I'm sure someone going to 2nd Look will fill you in on the downtown aspects.

Facilities: Ultimately the school seems a little older. The main lecture areas looked nice, but the study areas and library were a little dingy. Not disgusting or unusable by any means, but would probably benefit from an update. Of course, we will theoretically be getting nee stuff once the school moves downtown completely. The anatomy lab was the only main campus lab I remember seeing, and it was spacious and well ventilated.

Studying: There appeared to be several areas someone might like to study. The library, group study rooms, a courtyard, a luncheon area, various random seating areas throughout the main buildings.

Faculty: I found the faculty to be very personable and genuine, although I found that some of them had difficulty answering questions outside of their immediate area of expertise. For example, the woman who presented our curriculum map couldn't tell me if we did certain rotations concurrently or in separate weeks within the block. I did eventually get this answered however. Mainly I interacted with administrative faculty and my two interviewers. As before, everyone was very pleasant, but no real indication of how they would be as mentors or professors. The students I spoke with did appear to like the faculty, and even named a few specifically that had gone above the typical to help them succeed.

I've been to camls a few times, but when I went it was part of usf but not 100% part of the medical school yet i don't think. It's very state of the art, they literally have a simulation room with surgical areas etc with large screens surrounding the walls to simulate anything. When I was there they had the desert on the screens (for military stuff) and, at least when I went, they even have combat noises playing on the speakers like trucks, weapons etc it's crazy.

I think there's patient simulation stuff and fake rooms etc to simulate a real doctors office. There's a lot of lecture halls too and there was a place on the top floor where they help develop new medical devices with companies etc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some one posted this over at UCF section.

Is it true?

Hello everyone! I’m an accepted student for the UCF COM Class of 2022 and I’m writing to share some comparative data from the 2018 match lists for medical schools in the state of Florida (I had the day off from work and stumbled onto this project lol). Some quick background info; I have some significant experiences in a certain “competitive” surgical subspecialty field and I’m convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that I will be pursuing this field. My question was quite simple: which Florida medical school most successfully matched students into “competitive” specialties in 2018. I defined a competitive specialty as one that had an average Step 1 score of over 240. This left me with Derm, Plastics, Rads, Ophtho, Ortho, ENT, Uro, and Neuro Sx. The methods and data should be self-explanatory. Without further adieu:

UCF: 32/114 = 28%
UM: 43/190 = 23%
UF: 27/130 = 21%
USF: 26/158 = 16%
FSU: 11/108 = 10%
FAU: NO DATA
FIU: NO DATA

I hope that this info will be useful to those who hold multiple acceptances to Florida medical schools and are interested in a “competitive” specialty. I hope that you all will choose UCF and join me in leading this program to continued preeminence in medical education and match.

- Future Knight

Is it true?

Hello everyone! I’m an accepted student for the UCF COM Class of 2022 and I’m writing to share some comparative data from the 2018 match lists for medical schools in the state of Florida (I had the day off from work and stumbled onto this project lol). Some quick background info; I have some significant experiences in a certain “competitive” surgical subspecialty field and I’m convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that I will be pursuing this field. My question was quite simple: which Florida medical school most successfully matched students into “competitive” specialties in 2018. I defined a competitive specialty as one that had an average Step 1 score of over 240. This left me with Derm, Plastics, Rads, Ophtho, Ortho, ENT, Uro, and Neuro Sx. The methods and data should be self-explanatory. Without further adieu:

I hope that this info will be useful to those who hold multiple acceptances to Florida medical schools and are interested in a “competitive” specialty. I hope that you all will choose UCF and join me in leading this program to continued preeminence in medical education and match.

- Future Knight

Feel like this is all subjective, not everyone wants to go into an ultra-competitive specialty.

Reactions: 3 users

Is it true?

- Future Knight

Responded to this in the UM thread, but doing so here for posterity as well.

Look at the overall quality of USF's match list. They put ~7 IM matches into very good programs. Look at USF 2016 Match List, iirc there were 35+ competitive specialities as described in the UCF post. So again, this is all class specific.

Is it true?

- Future Knight
Dude looks like a delight to go to school with. Also shouldn't radonc be in there.

Reactions: 1 users
Just accepted off of waitlist! I interviewed 1/16

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance. You all are amazing and I hope that one of you waitlisted folks gets my position!

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know how USF views applicants who have previously been accepted and withdrew at other med schools prior to matriculation?

I’ve been accepted to several schools this cycle, but my fiancé just got transferred to Tampa for her job and I’m not holding any acceptances in Florida. So I’m considering withdrawing from the schools I’ve been accepted to, moving to Tampa to live/work, and reapplying next cycle to FL schools.

Anyone know how USF views applicants who have previously been accepted and withdrew at other med schools prior to matriculation?

I’ve been accepted to several schools this cycle, but my fiancé just got transferred to Tampa for her job and I’m not holding any acceptances in Florida. So I’m considering withdrawing from the schools I’ve been accepted to, moving to Tampa to live/work, and reapplying next cycle to FL schools.

Meaning you'll decline an MD acceptance and reapply to USF etc.? Did you not apply to USF this cycle?

I wouldn't do that at all- I always thought all schools view that negatively and you may not be able to get in again but who knows

Meaning you'll decline an MD acceptance and reapply to USF etc.? Did you not apply to USF this cycle?

I wouldn't do that at all- I always thought all schools view that negatively and you may not be able to get in again but who knows

Yes, I would turn down MD acceptance this cycle to reapply to USF and other FL schools next cycle. I did not apply to USF this cycle because a move to FL was not expected.

Yes, I would turn down MD acceptance this cycle to reapply to USF and other FL schools next cycle. I did not apply to USF this cycle because a move to FL was not expected.

Common opinion is that this is generally frowned upon, but the only way to know for sure is to contact the schools directly.

Common opinion is that this is generally frowned upon, but the only way to know for sure is to contact the schools directly.

I’m aware of the common opinion on turning down an acceptance to reapply the following cycle. Just curious if anyone has any info on USF specifically. I’m planning to contact admissions to see what they say about it as well.

I’m aware of the common opinion on turning down an acceptance to reapply the following cycle. Just curious if anyone has any info on USF specifically. I’m planning to contact admissions to see what they say about it as well.

I feel like USF wouldn't have a different opinion on this.

This is frustrating for you, I am sure. I planned all of my applications around my husband's work possibilities, and I know there's still a chance he won't be able to move with me - at least for a while. But he's having that meeting today and we're going to see what happens.

First, I think you should at least contact USF and explain the situation. There's no hurt in asking and this might be one of those odd situations where weirder things have happened. I definitely think you should not withdraw from all schools, though, until you have answers. Also, if you're okay with going DO, there's always LECOM, but it's a drive.

Second, you need to consider whether your fiancé might be transferred *again*. It sounds like there was little control over this move, and I would be concerned about cancelling all acceptances to move to a different location only to find out your fiancé has to move to another new location. Do you have any idea how that works with her job? Did she have any say in it? What are her thoughts right now? Are you holding an acceptance to a school in a location where she could conceivably transfer again? I lived apart from my husband for one year and it was a really hard year. We saw each other most weekends and really cherished the breaks. As hard as it was, I would do it again if necessary. So if there is a chance you could be apart only for one year, I'd stick with your current acceptances. This might also be one of those few times you could defer a year to move with your fiancé. I think there are multiple ways to approach this issue and reaching out to the schools you've been accepted to might be helpful - there's a good chance they've seen this at least once before and can give you guidance. Good luck - it's a tough position to be in. Also keep in mind that you'll have even less control in the match.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think you’ll be a Florida resident in time for the next application cycle. You’d have to wait a year, you’d also have to get a job in Florida. Also banking on getting into one of the medical schools near Tampa is foolhardy. If you actually want to be a doctor, you’re making a massive mistake.

I don’t think you’ll be a Florida resident in time for the next application cycle. You’d have to wait a year, you’d also have to get a job in Florida. Also banking on getting into one of the medical schools near Tampa is foolhardy. If you actually want to be a doctor, you’re making a massive mistake.

I get that withdrawing an acceptance to reapply the next cycle is sacrilege on SDN, but I’m wondering if there is any data/official sources to back that up.

It’s not like I was accepted at schools I don’t want to attend and now I’m trying to reapply to get into better schools. I’ve been accepted into several of my top choice programs, some with merit aid. I’ve just been thrown into an unfortunate situation very recently and am trying to weigh all of my options. For me, being close to my fiancé is more important than going to medical school this year, but if withdrawing this cycle means elimating my chances of going to medical school, then it’s not worth it.

I’m just looking for some legitimate sources on the topic to guide my decision making over the next few weeks. If anyone has any (in general or specifically for USF), please let me know.

I get that withdrawing an acceptance to reapply the next cycle is sacrilege on SDN, but I’m wondering if there is any data/official sources to back that up.

It’s not like I was accepted at schools I don’t want to attend and now I’m trying to reapply to get into better schools. I’ve been accepted into several of my top choice programs, some with merit aid. I’ve just been thrown into an unfortunate situation very recently and am trying to weigh all of my options. For me, being close to my fiancé is more important than going to medical school this year, but if withdrawing this cycle means elimating my chances of going to medical school, then it’s not worth it.

I’m just looking for some legitimate sources on the topic to guide my decision making over the next few weeks. If anyone has any (in general or specifically for USF), please let me know.

Many of the people who say this on SDN are themselves AdComs... that is the source of this information. Your best bet is to reach out to USF specifically, because as far as I know none of the active AdComs on SDN are from there. You should also consider deferring one of your acceptances with merit aid for a year to see if your fiancé could move there rather than just pulling your acceptance altogether.

OK, if you don't believe me (and you'd be dead meat at my school...we do ask about other accepts), let's ask:
@Med Ed
@LizzyM
@gyngyn
@HomeSkool
@Lannister
@mimelim

Reactions: 4 users
OK, if you don't believe me (and you'd be dead meat at my school...we do ask about other accepts), let's ask:
@Med Ed
@LizzyM
@gyngyn
@HomeSkool
@Lannister
@mimelim

I have no idea who you are, so why my lack of faith in your anonymous online posts would surprise you is beyond me. I just started researching this topic yesterday, as I got the news about the move last Friday. Withdrawing and reapplying is never something I would consider under ordinary circumstances. Like I said, I’ve been thrown into a tough situation, and I just wanted to make sure I was weighing all of my options with fact-based info.

I do appreciate that you seem to have my best interests at heart. Just out of curiosity, are there any approved answers to your school’s question about other accepts (I’m assuming it’s either in your program’s secondary or interview)?

Withdrew my seat from SELECT. Congrats to the person who gets in off the waitlist! It's a great program.

@DienophileMD
This doesn't come up often enough that there is a rule about it at my school or a specific way it would be handled.

1. you will be a re-applicant. Some schools will look at your application, realize that you could have applied and been admitted to start in 2018 (you took the MCAT in 2017 or earlier, graduated in 2018 or earlier, etc) and wondered why you had not applied, or applied and did get in, during the previous cycle. That could be a question at an interview. How you answer could determine whether you get an offer (in other words, turning down the offer will not have matter) or not. Of course, there is also the chance that you won't get the opportunity to be interviewed because someone will read the application, and think, "this is someone who should have had multiple offers with merit scholarships last year -- if that didn't happen, must be something wrong with him." or "he's too good for us, and he'll throw us over for one of the top schools that will offer merit aid, we shouldn't even bother inviting for interview."
2. Although this is a difficult thing to bring up, what if your relationship is history a year from now? Will you regret having to reapply because you made a decision that, in hindsight, turned out to be foolish?
3. As has been brought up before, what if she is transferred (or let go), before 2023 (your graduation year if you start next year and finish in 4 years)?
4. Is there any chance she can move a year from now and take a job closer to where you will be matriculating in a few months?
5. Will you limit your application solely to schools within 100 miles of Tampa. Do you realize that applying to so few schools is having too few irons in the fire?

Some schools will entertain an application from a transfer after M2 year if there is a good reason. Would you have any intention of marrying her before starting M3 year? That and a super strong record in the first 2 years and on the boards might get you in as a transfer meaning you'd only have to do two years long distance.

To me, there seem to be many good reasons not to let go of an offer this year. Of course, I did 2 years long distance and then got married while the ink on my diploma was still wet. Thirty plus years and still going strong.

@DienophileMD Sorry to hear about your situation, that's tough. At my school, I think we would be very unlikely to consider an applicant who had previously been accepted. I'm sure such an applicant would be thoroughly discussed and argued about, but in the end I think there would just be too much doubt.

I have no idea who you are, so why my lack of faith in your anonymous online posts would surprise you is beyond me. I just started researching this topic yesterday, as I got the news about the move last Friday. Withdrawing and reapplying is never something I would consider under ordinary circumstances. Like I said, I’ve been thrown into a tough situation, and I just wanted to make sure I was weighing all of my options with fact-based info.

I do appreciate that you seem to have my best interests at heart. Just out of curiosity, are there any approved answers to your school’s question about other accepts (I’m assuming it’s either in your program’s secondary or interview)?
Adcom member with close to 20 experience at a DO school somewhere west of the Missouri River.
Because we don't pre-screen, we would interview you, but historically, people who we know were in your position would be viewed as "this person clearly doesn't want to be a doctor that badly."

Being a medical student means that have to be somewhat selfish. You're going to be so busy anyway that you and your SO have to get used to this line of conversation:
Fiance: What are you doing?
You: Studying.

Reactions: 2 users
It's like the plot of La La Land, someone has to compromise on their dreams

This isn't a risk worth taking. You and your fiancé will commit to spending decades together. Proximity issues in the short-term can suck, but they will fade into the much larger story of your lives. Starting medical school, however, is more of a fork in the road. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
There's probably also not that much data about this situation because...most people understand how valuable a med school acceptance is and if they got far enough to be accepted in the first place, they'd understand that sacrifices sometimes need to be made to attend

I interviewed the day before. Someone in our group asked if we were interviewing for the wait list and they wouldn't give us a straight answer. Seems to be what happened though

Hahah I wish I had the guts to do that. Of course they're being political about it though.

I interviewed the day before. Someone in our group asked if we were interviewing for the wait list and they wouldn't give us a straight answer. Seems to be what happened though
Someone at the end of my interview day in late February asked the same question and the response they got was, "if you've received an interview, it is for a seat," or some variation of that. Technically, they aren't being disingenuous by saying this because we all have a shot at acceptance. However, they didn't and definitely won't admit that everyone who interviews December or later is going to be waitlisted first.

Someone at the end of my interview day in late February asked the same question and the response they got was, "if you've received an interview, it is for a seat," or some variation of that. Technically, they aren't being disingenuous by saying this because we all have a shot at acceptance. However, they didn't and definitely won't admit that everyone who interviews December or later is going to be waitlisted first.

Yes that’s what they said to us at my interview day as well...

Hahah I wish I had the guts to do that. Of course they're being political about it though.

Lol So I definitely asked. I asked the day before during the student meet and greet and I also asked during my interview. I also discussed the fact that USF has the highest MCAT avg in the state and inquired about how much that weighed on my chances considering that my MCAT wasnt that close to the avg (a little below) and they assured me that they have a holistic review process.

I cant believe I had the guts to do that, but I just went for it lol

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I think theyre using a technicality to get away with saying it. Like if even one person turns down an acceptance, giving up a spot, people interviewing are technically interviewing for a spot. It’s just very unlikely they’d get it, and they probably would rather waitlist everyone and be able to evaluate everyone at one time.