2017-2018 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you share why you think it didn't work out post interview?

I'll first refer you to this: Facepalm interview moments 2016 edition

And then I'll follow up with this: My application at the time was pretty devoid of experiences and was crutched up by a good MCAT. It really showed in the interview and I couldn't really articulate a lot of my motivations and qualities. To that point I had also only had one real interview in my life - for a bus boy job.

Any hints on how to prep for this interview? (Sorry for late reply - I got the notice during class then worked until 10 PM, so I'm just getting caught up).

Honestly, my interviews were low stress and touched on the standard points - why medicine/why a doctor, what will you add to your class, tell me about yourself. My impression afterwards was that they were looking for students with maturity and leadership. But again, this was now 4 years ago so much may have changed and my memory may be a bit faint. I do assure you that you'll walk away knowing that the school is committed to their students.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So they only give out II to high MCAT scorers o_Oo_O

Members don't see this ad :)
II for CORE! :) 515/cGPA 3.83/ sGPA 3.85, in state, complete 8/11. Received II yesterday.
Anyone else going on 9/5?

Reactions: 4 users
Note to anyone flying in to Tampa: they had a water main break that's really screwing up traffic patterns so be prepared for some traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yah, I would try to stay at a hotel close to campus. The traffic is really bad right now.

Any hints on how to prep for this interview? (Sorry for late reply - I got the notice during class then worked until 10 PM, so I'm just getting caught up).

I interviewed last cycle, and it was a pretty chill interview. Know the answers to standard questions. I would say know your application. Try to have some USF spirit! :)

For those with IIs, did your portal status ever change from "application is ready!"? I've been showing that since 7/26.

For those with IIs, did your portal status ever change from "application is ready!"? I've been showing that since 7/26.

I think that's all mine said, but I didn't check each day.

To any 9/5 interviewees:
1. Best of luck!!
2. If you are willing to share any advice/impressions from your experience, I would love to hear them.

does anyone know how the interviews actually work? like is it just 1 on 1, or group etc?

does anyone know how the interviews actually work? like is it just 1 on 1, or group etc?
My friend who interviewed last year said it was two 1 on 1s, about an hour long. However she also said that they were asked to (briefly) explain why they wanted to be a doctor in a group setting.

So sounds like two specific interviews, but of course, you're making an impression throughout the day.

Reactions: 1 user
Last year mine was two one-on-one interviews
My friend who interviewed last year said it was two 1 on 1s, about an hour long. However she also said that they were asked to (briefly) explain why they wanted to be a doctor in a group setting.

So sounds like two specific interviews, but of course, you're making an impression throughout the day.
this is how my interview was last year as well.

So I'm wondering what will happen with 9/12 interviews if the hurricane actually hits us. These are so unpredictable until the last minute that it is impossible to make any plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm wondering what will happen with 9/12 interviews if the hurricane actually hits us. These are so unpredictable until the last minute that it is impossible to make any plans.

USF sent an e-mail today in regards to the hurricane. In the e-mail it was stated that another update (on whether or not there will be school closures) will go out later this week. I am assuming interviewees will most likely receive an e-mail around that time if they will be canceling interviews.

They just sent an email; basically: "we're watching it and will let you know"

Really hoping we get to reschedule our interviews ASAP. Was really looking forward to being on one of the first available dates

Really hoping we get to reschedule our interviews ASAP. Was really looking forward to being on one of the first available dates

I'm so glad I live nearby and didn't have to cancel or change travel plans.

Yeah, just a 4-5 hour drive for me. Not too bad so can't complain
Wholeheartedly agree with all of this. At least there's some extra
time to prepare now.

Really enjoyed what I read about this school while researching for the secondary. Best of luck to you Florida folks and interviewees with Irma! Hope it doesn't mess anything up too badly.

Wholeheartedly agree with all of this. At least there's some extra
time to prepare now.

I don't mind - I was having a hard time getting my suit dry cleaned because I didn't want to drop it off this week only to find out the cleaners would be closed on Friday or something. Should be an interesting week. I'm interested to find out what they do to reschedule. I'm really hoping it's another Tuesday.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I think it's likely that it will be rescheduled on another Tuesday, they said to me once that they only do interviews on Tuesdays. (That was before the whole hurricane situation though, so don't quote me on it! Just a prediction.) If it eases anyone's nerves, it is a very relaxed and laid back interview day for most. It seemed like most people felt good about their interviews. I liked mine, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Really love this school, and they really left a good impression on me.

I think it's likely that it will be rescheduled on another Tuesday, they said to me once that they only do interviews on Tuesdays. (That was before the whole hurricane situation though, so don't quote me on it! Just a prediction.) If it eases anyone's nerves, it is a very relaxed and laid back interview day for most. It seemed like most people felt good about their interviews. I liked mine, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Really love this school, and they really left a good impression on me.
Did you interview there this cycle?

Maybe select is different but I'm interviewing on a Monday

Yeah, I interviewed for CORE. They have a different interview process for CORE vs. SELECT so it seems likely that they would do them on different days of the week. All of the students there on 9/5 were CORE. They absolutely may reschedule the 9/12 interview day for a different weekday, I don't know, but Tuesday seems likely if it's CORE.

Isn't select in a different state? Because there is no way that interview would be happening here in Florida on Monday.

Isn't select in a different state? Because there is no way that interview would be happening here in Florida on Monday.
You can do Allentown or Tampa for Select I believe.

Good Luck to everyone applying! This school has an awesome culture, would love to attend!

They give you the option of Allentown or Tampa, I chose Tampa!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They give you the option of Allentown or Tampa, I chose Tampa!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Are you interviewing this Monday? I can't imagine the school will even be open this Monday.

Are you interviewing this Monday? I can't imagine the school will even be open this Monday.

The governor mandated all public universities be closed on Monday

The governor mandated all public universities be closed on Monday

Finally. I mean, the hurricane is coming through on Monday. I laughed when they cancelled Thursday and Friday classes but didn't want to call anything for Monday.

I just got like, 10 emergency alerts on my phone for a hurricane warning.

Things are looking bad for us :(

I just got like, 10 emergency alerts on my phone for a hurricane warning.

Things are looking bad for us :(

Yeah, things really don't look good. Best of luck and stay safe, fellow Floridians. (And everyone else in this thing's path.)

Reactions: 3 users
Irma is pretty much coming directly towards Tampa right now. If anyone is there and not in a safe place, you should find one ASAP. ArcGIS Web Application. A list of open shelters

Hope everyone and their families made it through the storm okay.

Friends at USF said they return to school on Thursday, so perhaps word of reschedules will come soon.

I'm in-state with a 3.94/509 do you guys think it's even worth the money/time filling out the secondary due to their focus on high mcat?
I would. Your GPA is high and if you have good extra curriculars, you might stand a chance. It is late to submit secondaries, but no sense throwing away an in-state app, imo.

Just got the call to reschedule: anyone else 9/19 now?

Hi guys! Interviewed in Allentown on Monday for SELECT. Absolutely loved the staff and the medical students, and they all really liked the school. The program itself seems more and more awesome the more I learn about it, and the students talked about how it was useful. They all said the interview was laid back and stuff but personally I still thought it was pretty nerve-wracking. It is closed file. There were 8 people interviewing and all of them were super awesome (hi! if any of u are reading this) Anyway, good luck to all of you, and hope to see some of you next year!!!

Reactions: 3 users
To people who went/are going to the meet and greet the night before: what sort of outfits are appropriate? I know it's a casual event, but does that mean jeans casual, or more business casual?

Hi guys! Interviewed in Allentown on Monday for SELECT. Absolutely loved the staff and the medical students, and they all really liked the school. The program itself seems more and more awesome the more I learn about it, and the students talked about how it was useful. They all said the interview was laid back and stuff but personally I still thought it was pretty nerve-wracking. It is closed file. There were 8 people interviewing and all of them were super awesome (hi! if any of u are reading this) Anyway, good luck to all of you, and hope to see some of you next year!!!
Hi, I will be interview for SELECT too. Do you mind if I PM a few questions?

To people who went/are going to the meet and greet the night before: what sort of outfits are appropriate? I know it's a casual event, but does that mean jeans casual, or more business casual?

I talked to someone at the school - it's casual like shorts and t-shirt if you want. I'll be wearing flip flops for sure. My outfit depends on how cold they keep the buildings on campus next week.

I talked to someone at the school - it's casual like shorts and t-shirt if you want. I'll be wearing flip flops for sure. My outfit depends on how cold they keep the buildings on campus next week.

Oh sweet, thanks!