2017-2018 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So a parka?

Yes. Pretty much. Plus long underwear and my flip flip wool socks (yes, they make those).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! Interviewed in Allentown on Monday for SELECT. Absolutely loved the staff and the medical students, and they all really liked the school. The program itself seems more and more awesome the more I learn about it, and the students talked about how it was useful. They all said the interview was laid back and stuff but personally I still thought it was pretty nerve-wracking. It is closed file. There were 8 people interviewing and all of them were super awesome (hi! if any of u are reading this) Anyway, good luck to all of you, and hope to see some of you next year!!!
I interviewed the same day there! I agree with everything that you said, except I enjoyed the interview itself. I was worried that all of the "extra" education was just for show, but it seems like SELECT is graduating out really great students. I don't think SELECT is really changing healthcare right at this moment, but when more students graduate, the program will develop a better reputation for making healthcare better. LVHN apparently really pours into the students, too. Some students told me that you do not compete with the other students to get exposure to the things you want to learn about. He kept saying "just ask, they'll teach you". Overall I was pleasantly surprised.

P.S. Hi to you too, acetylcholinesterasee

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone-- just completed my interview day for CORE.

Overall, very relaxed and friendly vibe. There were presentations on curriculum (it was okay), their standardized patient experience (loved it), student affairs/financial aid (good info, but not too exciting), and a short tour (good, but a little irrelevant). My interviewers were both very amicable, and easy to talk to. One was super enthusiastic and had a med student shadowing her which was neat.

Overall pros:
1. Very low stress all day
2. School is very focused on students
3. Staff and faculty were super courteous and helpful.

Overall cons:
1. A lot of the resources are downtown so we didn't get to see them.
2. I had trouble getting some questions answered by presenters (although I eventually did).

If anyone has other questions about the day, just tag/reply or PM :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone-- just completed my interview day for CORE.

Overall, very relaxed and friendly vibe. There were presentations on curriculum (it was okay), their standardized patient experience (loved it), student affairs/financial aid (good info, but not too exciting), and a short tour (good, but a little irrelevant). My interviewers were both very amicable, and easy to talk to. One was super enthusiastic and had a med student shadowing her which was neat.

Overall pros:
1. Very low stress all day
2. School is very focused on students
3. Staff and faculty were super courteous and helpful.

Overall cons:
1. A lot of the resources are downtown so we didn't get to see them.
2. I had trouble getting some questions answered by presenters (although I eventually did).

If anyone has other questions about the day, just tag/reply or PM :)
Congratulations! Were there any tough or unusual questions they asked you?

Congratulations! Were there any tough or unusual questions they asked you?
The toughest/most unusual:

1. If your mom had to complain about one thing about you, what would it be?
2. Can you think of a time you worked really hard and it didn't pay off? How did you react.

Honestly, they were pretty straight forward and what I expected.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with this. I'm a recent USF Alum and while I maybe would have made it in to USF (had a decent MCAT although a pretty crappy GPA), many of my classmates would not have. Their average MCAT has gone up significantly in the last couple years and Dean Lockwood has emphasized that he wants to recruit for high stat students.
Does anyone know the minimum MCAT score required or do they look at the application as a whole?
Also does anyone who applies to USF receive a secondary?
Thank you in advance,

Does anyone know the minimum MCAT score required or do they look at the application as a whole?
Also does anyone who applies to USF receive a secondary?
Thank you in advance,

The 10th percentile in the MSAR is showing a 510. I do not know if that is a hard cutoff or if they are more holistic. I do know that they have a reputation for wanting higher MCAT scores. If I hear of someone with a lower score who got in, I'll let you know!

MSAR also states that secondary is sent to all applicants.

The 10th percentile in the MSAR is showing a 510. I do not know if that is a hard cutoff or if they are more holistic. I do know that they have a reputation for wanting higher MCAT scores. If I hear of someone with a lower score who got in, I'll let you know!

MSAR also states that secondary is sent to all applicants.

Is it too late to submit a secondary for this school?

Do they still have the "application last viewed" date on the status? If I don't have a date, does that mean my application hasn't been viewed at all yet? It's been over two months.....

Do they still have the "application last viewed" date on the status? If I don't have a date, does that mean my application hasn't been viewed at all yet? It's been over two months.....
Hey, complete 07/12 over here and no "application last viewed" either. If I'm not mistaken people who already received IIs from USF did not have any "application last viewed [date]."

I never saw any change in the portal before my II, but that came so quickly I didn't think to look (IS applicant wth high MCAT). BUT - please let me know if you get an II as I would love to meet up.

Potentia Virus, every time I see you on these threads I feel like I'm applying to med school alongside Jeff Bridges, and I gotta say that eases my anxiety just a little bit.

I never saw any change in the portal before my II, but that came so quickly I didn't think to look (IS applicant wth high MCAT). BUT - please let me know if you get an II as I would love to meet up.
Yeah! Fingers crossed. I know we have very similar stats and you've had a decent amount of success so far this cycle. I'd love to get the chance to come interview in Florida and meet up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Potentia Virus, every time I see you on these threads I feel like I'm applying to med school alongside Jeff Bridges, and I gotta say that eases my anxiety just a little bit.
The Dude abides.

big-lebowski-wait-on-couch.gif
Yeah! Fingers crossed. I know we have very similar stats and you've had a decent amount of success so far this cycle. I'd love to get the chance to come interview in Florida and meet up.

This basically sums up how I feel this week about doing homework while waiting for IIs.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, I just realized there would be potential for being in the same med school class (mind blown!).

If I'm OOS with a 3.7/510, and submit my primary to this school today, do you think I even stand a chance at this school?

If I'm OOS with a 3.7/510, and submit my primary to this school today, do you think I even stand a chance at this school?
Do you know the secondary fee for OOS students? If it's no different than IS, it's super cheap and so you may be at a disadvantage time-wise, but you have little to lose monetarily. I would select Core and Select for the broadest opportunity.

Do you know the secondary fee for OOS students? If it's no different than IS, it's super cheap and so you may be at a disadvantage time-wise, but you have little to lose monetarily. I would select Core and Select for the broadest opportunity.

I think it's still $30? Can't find anything on the website suggesting it's different for OOS people. I was mainly trying to judge if I was at too big of a disadvantage now if I got my secondary turned in later this week (assuming they send one to me this week)

I think it's still $30? Can't find anything on the website suggesting it's different for OOS people. I was mainly trying to judge if I was at too big of a disadvantage now if I got my secondary turned in later this week (assuming they send one to me this week)

It's really hard to tell. Of the Florida schools, they seem to be friendliest to OOS, but they also prioritize high MCAT scores over a lot of other factors (rumor is that the new dean is pushing to get it into the top 20). On the other hand, they are only one of two schools that have given me an II and that was within week so submitting the secondary. But I'm IS and have a high MCAT. I still feel like it might be a worthwhile gamble since it's a lot less expensive than other schools. Your GPA certainly isn't too low, so it really depends on a lot of other factors.

One other note - it took me a few weeks to get the secondary, but I was verified before July 1, so they might have taken that long with all the applications. Let us know what you decide! I'd love to see you apply and get in, but I also don't want to give any false hope =)

It's really hard to tell. Of the Florida schools, they seem to be friendliest to OOS, but they also prioritize high MCAT scores over a lot of other factors (rumor is that the new dean is pushing to get it into the top 20). On the other hand, they are only one of two schools that have given me an II and that was within week so submitting the secondary. But I'm IS and have a high MCAT. I still feel like it might be a worthwhile gamble since it's a lot less expensive than other schools. Your GPA certainly isn't too low, so it really depends on a lot of other factors.

One other note - it took me a few weeks to get the secondary, but I was verified before July 1, so they might have taken that long with all the applications. Let us know what you decide! I'd love to see you apply and get in, but I also don't want to give any false hope =)

Hmmmmm alright, I might apply and give it a shot. Don't have much to lose. I'm really interested in their Moffitt Cancer Center and their mathematics/oncology division, so it would be so cool to get to be a part of that.

Hmmmmm alright, I might apply and give it a shot. Don't have much to lose. I'm really interested in their Moffitt Cancer Center and their mathematics/oncology division, so it would be so cool to get to be a part of that.
I would seriously consider choosing Select because they favor OOS.

He should use the both option, because then they will evaluate him for SELECT and CORE. His chances of getting into CORE might not be great, but I do know OOS people who are in it.

He should use the both option, because then they will evaluate him for SELECT and CORE. His chances of getting into CORE might not be great, but I do know OOS people who are in it.
Right but you have to pick a preference too.

I actually applied to Core and they offered me an interview for SELECT instead

I've never heard of that happening before but an interviews an interview! Did they mention that discrepancy on the phone/email invite?
I only ask because I chose Core > Select but I'm having second thoughts as to whether choosing both would've broadened my opportunities for an invite!

Does anyone know if they've given any II recently (like post-hurricane?) I don't remember seeing any on here

I've never heard of that happening before but an interviews an interview! Did they mention that discrepancy on the phone/email invite?
I only ask because I chose Core > Select but I'm having second thoughts as to whether choosing both would've broadened my opportunities for an invite!
They called me and just kind of explained more about what SELECT was and said they'd like to interview me for that instead of Core. I asked if I could interview for Core instead, and they were like NOPE. I know SELECT is more focused on leadership in medicine and I've got a strong background in leadership so maybe they just thought I'd fit better in that program or something.

They called me and just kind of explained more about what SELECT was and said they'd like to interview me for that instead of Core. I asked if I could interview for Core instead, and they were like NOPE. I know SELECT is more focused on leadership in medicine and I've got a strong background in leadership so maybe they just thought I'd fit better in that program or something.
Haha well at least they're frank with you about your options! And that sounds reasonable, my app was less focused on leadership and more research driven so I doubt I'd be offered that opportunity. Thanks for replying & best of luck with the rest of the admissions process! :)

II!

Complete end of July fwiw

Omg congratulations! When did you receive it, and if you don’t mind, could you share your stats?

Signature for stats. And I'm abroad right now so sometime in the past day - I don't know when I am right now.

Haha well at least they're frank with you about your options! And that sounds reasonable, my app was less focused on leadership and more research driven so I doubt I'd be offered that opportunity. Thanks for replying & best of luck with the rest of the admissions process! :)

I have heard about that happening pretty commonly. My guess is that they probably would not have gotten an interview at all had they not taken the option for SELECT. Despite the increased tuition, I think it's a great program and I really enjoyed my time up in Pennsylvania.

Has anyone been accepted yet?

Only if someone applied Early Decision. I have heard that a friend of a friend was accepted back in September. Otherwise they have to wait until October 15 to send acceptances or waitlist decisions. Rejections are fair game any time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Only if someone applied Early Decision. I have heard that a friend of a friend was accepted back in September. Otherwise they have to wait until October 15 to send acceptances or waitlist decisions. Rejections are fair game any time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
October 15 can't come soon enough, the waiting has been torture

October 15 can't come soon enough, the waiting has been torture

I second that. At first I wondered if they were going to release decisions behind schedule due to the hurricane, but I think they might start on October 16th. I interviewed pre-Irma so at that point they weren't sure. Anyway, I've been on pins and needles, this school is my top choice.

I second that. At first I wondered if they were going to release decisions behind schedule due to the hurricane, but I think they might start on October 16th. I interviewed pre-Irma so at that point they weren't sure. Anyway, I've been on pins and needles, this school is my top choice.
We were told to expect news not long after Oct. 15th, and I was the first reschedule after Irma.
I can totally relate, my top choice as well

I had the same experience. SELECT won't work for me because of some personal circumstances, so I had to decline. I'm guessing I won't be getting an II for Core. :(

I had the same experience. SELECT won't work for me because of some personal circumstances, so I had to decline. I'm guessing I won't be getting an II for Core. :(
Bummer - it would have been great to have you down here!

If I interviewed that first day on Sep 11 for select what are my chances of getting decision Oct 16? This is more agonizing than waiting for the mcat score to release

If I interviewed that first day on Sep 11 for select what are my chances of getting decision Oct 16? This is more agonizing than waiting for the mcat score to release
I don't know precisely about Select, but I was at the Sep 12th Core and they made it pretty clear we would get news within a few days of Oct 16th. I also believe they typically try to do 2wk turn around for post Oct 15th decisions, so I can't imagine Select is much different

I don't know precisely about Select, but I was at the Sep 12th Core and they made it pretty clear we would get news within a few days of Oct 16th. I also believe they typically try to do 2wk turn around for post Oct 15th decisions, so I can't imagine Select is much different
Thanks fam. Sigh

I'm guessing I interviewed with that person. I applied ED as well. Was it a guy or a girl?

No idea! It's a friend of a friend and I didn't catch the name or anything else!

Got an II today! The dream is still alive! Confirmed for 11/7...hope to see some of you there!