2017-2018 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II rejection just now. 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA (did poorly in pre-reqs but straight A's in upper divs), 519 MCAT, extraordinary ECs, strong personal statements. Submitted early in July.

A little bit sad because I had some hope for getting in here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly wish I knew. To be honest, I thought I tanked my faculty interview because I was almost arguing with him towards the end.

Thats a little encouraging, I felt like my faculty interviewer was getting a little nit picky with some of my answers during my interview and made the experience more difficult than it should have been. I didn't argue with him, but I did have to clarify something that I thought was pretty obvious. I did not get upset or anything during the interview and thought I just bombed it lol. I only put together his more "difficult" tendencies that gave me a hard time while I was talking to some of my friends and family later. I just want to get in haha because this school definitely blew me away

Has anyone who’s been admitted received an email from USC or Certiphi regarding the background check? Seems like students at many other programs have already gotten them. I just wanted to check here before bothering USC with an email.

Has anyone who’s been admitted received an email from USC or Certiphi regarding the background check? Seems like students at many other programs have already gotten them. I just wanted to check here before bothering USC with an email.
I did the Certiphi background check already, but unsure whether through Keck specifically or another institution's request.

So I emailed USC. They said I should have received an email from Certiphi by now. They told me to call Certiphi. I called Certiphi and they told me to call USC...

Edit: Just received the email from Certiphi. Unclear who is responsible.

Last edited:
Interviewed today loved everything! Dr. Arias is seriously all that and a bag of chips.

Mentioned that we should hear back by the 29th.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is there anyone who's interviewed already ok with me pm'ing them a couple of questions I have?

Ok I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to PM people on SDN. Can current USC students @nylock10, @Gibbward, & anyone else lurking answer a few questions for me?

1. Do you feel like there are opportunities to seek out mentors? Like for life/professionally, not just for research goals.

2. I’m confused about the curriculum…what exactly are MDLs? I'm confused by descriptions I've come across. What is Foundations of Medical Sciences - is that just like introductions to basic sciences before delving into systems-based?

3. Do you think the exams are written fairly? Also are they written to prepare you for Step 1 (I know some schools do that)?

4. Also could you speak more about the timeline with the required scholarly project?

5. Where do you think there’s room for improvement at your school/the program? What do you think they excel at?

6. Do you have any suggestions to read up on to better understand topics of healthcare/the future of medicine? I'm not the most educated person on these topics and don't want to sound like a joke if I get these types of questions.

Not a current student, but I interviewed here and hope to provide some answers.

1. Do you feel like there are opportunities to seek out mentors? Like for life/professionally, not just for research goals.

My student interviewer said that he frequently dropped by the administrative office seeking personal "life-goal" advice. I'm not sure if you specifically have someone in the office whose job specializes in this.

Also could you speak more about the timeline with the required scholarly project?

A 4th year passing by our interview group shared some light on this. The required scholarly project is pretty much whatever you make of it. Some gunners seeking competitive specialties are seeking to publish their work, while others just spent a few weeks data crunching and called it a day. The 4th year said that he was basically starting his project now with hopes of finishing/presenting it towards the end of this year. Some 1st year students said that they were currently seeking topics and mentors to get their projects started.

Do you have any suggestions to read up on to better understand topics of healthcare/the future of medicine? I'm not the most educated person on these topics and don't want to sound like a joke if I get these types of questions.

I was asked about current issues in the healthcare industry in my faculty interview. I wasn't grilled or anything, but tried to show that I had some general knowledge of what's going on and some benefits/disadvantages of the current state of things. There were a couple of resources floating around (I'll link if I can find them), but I wouldn't stress too hard about hammering down the nitty gritty details.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to PM people on SDN. Can current USC students @nylock10, @Gibbward, & anyone else lurking answer a few questions for me?

2. I’m confused about the curriculum…what exactly are MDLs? I'm confused by descriptions I've come across. What is Foundations of Medical Sciences - is that just like introductions to basic sciences before delving into systems-based?

3. Do you think the exams are written fairly? Also are they written to prepare you for Step 1 (I know some schools do that)?

4. Also could you speak more about the timeline with the required scholarly project?

5. Where do you think there’s room for improvement at your school/the program? What do you think they excel at?

6. Do you have any suggestions to read up on to better understand topics of healthcare/the future of medicine? I'm not the most educated person on these topics and don't want to sound like a joke if I get these types of questions.

1. There's a lot of opportunities in my experience. For example, groups of us are assigned to physicians who periodically meet with us one-on-one to check in. They're also available whenever for advice, guidance, shadowing, etc. We're also assigned physicians who proctor us when we visit the hospitals during MS1/2. Student interest groups can also get you connected with mentors. For example, the student group for the specialty I'm interested in matched me with a resident in that field. I also found an attending who offered to be a career/research mentor in that specialty/department just by asking around. So in short, I've had a lot of success with finding mentors. There's also administrative staff who offer career advising if that's more your thing.

2. One of our buildings has a bunch of rooms called MDLs. Each MDL is assigned to a group of ~24 students. Each of those students has a personal desk inside the MDL with their name on it. They can store stuff in them, study in the MDLs, decorate their desks, etc. MDLs are basically community groups for us to all study in, have small group-based discussion sessions, club meetings, etc.

Foundations of Medical Sciences is exactly that. We cover topics like biochemistry, genetics, immunology, microbiology, and so on. It prepares you for the rest of the systems-based curriculum starting second semester of MS1.

3. I think they're pretty fair. Every exam has an odd question or two but they're usually thrown out. I haven't taken Step 1 yet but our exams are all multiple choice, computer-based exams, and have clinical vignettes. (More so I'm just happy that our exams are entirely pass/fail).

4. During MS1 they just intend for you to get a feel for everything and explore ideas that might interest you. At the beginning of MS2 you formally identify your RSP mentor and work on a proposal. At MS3, you submit the research proposal. By MS3/4 you submit the actual final RSP project.

5. I'd probably pretty up the campus a bit but they're working on it. (I visited the main USC campus and was blown away by how nice it looked.) They're doing sidewalk construction now to match the main campus aesthetic a bit more which is nice. As for the program itself, it's so far so good. I genuinely don't have any major complaints so far. I've found a study system that works great for me and really enjoy school. At worst some of the lecturers need to redesign their slides but that's kind of expected everywhere.

6. I didn't specifically study that before interviewing here and I personally don't ask interviewees that unless they bring it up (but YMMV I guess). But I thought The Health Care Handbook was a good book and if you're interested you might want to check it out.

Reactions: 3 users

Just to add on to what @nylock10 mentioned.

1. Also, M1s get M2 big sibs that you can text with incase you need help with anything. There are also academic coaches... more so for academics but I know people that talk to theirs about life stuff too.

3. Exams are fairly written and you are given enough time to take the tests. And also they give you FREE FOOD :p

4. I'd like to correct the timeline for the RSP. As an M2, you need to submit your proposal, do some of your project, write a progress report and abstract, and present a poster by the end of the year. Then, you need to turn in a completed RSP report before you graduate.

5. I'm also a big fan of the school. I really like the people that go there and I've had a great time so far. No major complaints. Some lecturers are def better than others but that's for every schools. Lots of free lunch talks :D They def need more food options on campus, though I live off campus so it's only an issue for me if there is no lunch talk or if I forgot to pack my lunch.

6. I think just read up on healthcare related news, know generally what is happening in terms of policy, and how these changes could impact people's access to health care. I highly doubt that interviewers are going to grill you on the nitty gritty wonky aspects of health policy, but make sure you have an opinion on certain things. I personally give my interviewees one healthcare related question, but it's an easy open ended one so don't worry too much about it ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Have any accepted students received physical letters of acceptance in the mail or does anyone know if we can be expecting these?

Have any accepted students received physical letters of acceptance in the mail or does anyone know if we can be expecting these?

I have not gotten one. It's been a while, so now I'm doubting that we will be getting physical letters.

what’s the deal with the 515 references? What’s the significance of 515 haha

what’s the deal with the 515 references? What’s the significance of 515 haha
there's just a lot of people on here (myself included) who happen to have 515s and a fair amount of research experience. we were all surviving each wave of rejections until about last week so it felt like they were avoiding decisions on us for some reason. still don't understand why though

Hi all - finally made an account so I can jump in on this thread. I am an admitted student, and am super excited!

Does anyone know anything about second look day? I emailed the office and they don't know when it will be, but I'm more interested in what the format is / what I can expect.

Additionally... any insight on financial aid from current students?

Hi all - finally made an account so I can jump in on this thread. I am an admitted student, and am super excited!

Does anyone know anything about second look day? I emailed the office and they don't know when it will be, but I'm more interested in what the format is / what I can expect.

I think previous posters mentioned that there is no second look day. Their version of "second look" is an informal dinner with some current medical students. I could be wrong though.

The studen host I stayed with said it probably wasn’t worth going to if you’re out of state.

Rejected pre-II just now. LM ~80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an FYI:

Admissions committee meets Monday, January 29th (and every second monday before/after this date). Interviewees discussed in that meeting are notified of either Accept, Waitlist, or Rejection on Wednesday, January 31st by 4pm PST.

If you recently interviewed, but haven't received a decision by 1/31 at 4pm, add 2 weeks to the ^ dates, and same process applies. If two adcom meetings + wednesday notification days have passed since you interviewed, call the admissions office.

Just got rejected, complete late July with a 520 MCAT

As an FYI:

Admissions committee meets Monday, January 29th (and every second monday before/after this date). Interviewees discussed in that meeting are notified of either Accept, Waitlist, or Rejection on Wednesday, January 31st by 4pm PST.

If you recently interviewed, but haven't received a decision by 1/31 at 4pm, add 2 weeks to the ^ dates, and same process applies. If two adcom meetings + wednesday notification days have passed since you interviewed, call the admissions office.

Thank you for clearing this up!

HOLY MOLY I GOT ACCEPTED!!! TOO LIT RN, Interviewed 1/9

Reactions: 7 users
Waitlisted. Pretty crushed right now, really fell in love with the school and would have been over the moon to go here :(
Happy to have been given a chance to interview though.

Accepted!!!!! Email came through about 1 hour ago! Top choice!!! interviewed last week

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if USC does merit based scholarships? If so, what percentage of the class is rewarded/ how would we apply for it? I tried looking it up, but really only found info on fafsa. Thanks for any help!

Does anyone know if USC does merit based scholarships? If so, what percentage of the class is rewarded/ how would we apply for it? I tried looking it up, but really only found info on fafsa. Thanks for any help!
Copied directly from the admissions packet:

Keck Scholarship Opportunities

a. Merit-Based
i. Overall Strength of Application for Admission
ii. Interviewer Recommendation
iii. No separate application required
iv. Highly competitive

b. Service/Leadership/Financial Need Based Scholarship Opportunities
i. Awarded in the fall and spring semesters
1. Require separate applications
a. Will be disbursed via email by the Student Affairs Office

Does anyone know if the student interview really matters? Faculty interview was fine, hard to tell. Student interview was like an 11/10

Does anyone know if the student interview really matters? Faculty interview was fine, hard to tell. Student interview was like an 11/10
Considering that they’re both blind interviews and Dean Arias stressed fit, I’d guess it prob matters as much as the faculty interview

Dean Arias told us they value the student interviews highly because they want to build a new class that will get along well with their existing students.

Last edited: