2017-2018 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone hear anything today? I was hoping to hear back but sounds like there might still be groups before mine that need to be reviewed

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone hear anything today? I was hoping to hear back but sounds like there might still be groups before mine that need to be reviewed
I haven’t heard anything yet. But i interviewed the week of Valentine’s Day so mine was recent. Was still hoping I would hear something. Guess there’s still two weeks from now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think, if I’m remembering right, Dr. Arias said it will be out by 6pm Pacific. It’s almost 6 there so I’m assuming something went out already. I’m guessing it’s done for today.

I remember Dean Arias saying that if we don't hear back after two decision cycles pass, we should contact her/them. Does anyone remember being told something similar?

Last edited:
I remember Dean Arias saying that if we don't hear back after two decision cycles pass, we should contact her/them. Does anyone remember being told something similar?
I think she told us that too

To be honest, I'm not even sure any decisions came out today. No one really said anything here which was unusual

Whats the waitlist movement like at usc? @current students or anyone who knows
I have a friend whose an M1 at Keck who told me there was significant movement this past year. Not sure if that will be the case this year but one can hope! Would love to hear if anyone else has insight on this..

Has anyone called the admissions office about this decision cycle? It's been two decision cycles for me too and I'm considering calling to check.
Yeah, that's what they said to do if we had not heard back yet. I already called them two weeks ago and they told me to wait. I guess something important to note would be when the next admission committee will be/if there was one this past Monday

Has anyone called the admissions office about this decision cycle? It's been two decision cycles for me too and I'm considering calling to check.

I am really tempted to call as well. I have a feeling though that no decisions were even released yesterday. Maybe they pushed back the meeting to next week?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really tempted to call as well. I have a feeling though that no decisions were even released yesterday. Maybe they pushed back the meeting to next week?

I just called the admissions office and was told that there was no meeting this past Monday and that the admissions committee should be meeting this upcoming Monday.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed a couple weeks ago and just found out that I was placed on the alternate contact list. :/ Yay for not being rejected, but I was so, so excited for Keck. Here's to staying hopeful!

Interviewed a couple weeks ago and just found out that I was placed on the alternate contact list. :/ Yay for not being rejected, but I was so, so excited for Keck. Here's to staying hopeful!

Same!

Congrats to everyone who many be hearing good news today ☺️

ACCEPTED!! Interviewed 2/16. Good Luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users

On the bright side you won't be paying hundreds of thousands for your training if you don't go here! Their lack of financial aid is ABSURD!!

Has anyone from the 2/23 group heard back?

Hey has anyone received information regarding financial aid? Scouring through their website I found an April deadline for financial aid along with the school code for FASFA purposes.
Have we received any instructions from admissions regarding the process?
I think we are just supposed to submit FAFSA and the school specific application, and wait for them to get back to us. I contacted financial aid recently, and they told me they won't be giving us our COA statements until May... and that it would mostly just be loans / not to expect any grant money. T.T

Did you guys get the post-interview survey? I just realized I never got one...

Also the waitlist... keeping my fingers crossed

Do you think it was the student interview that did you in? I'm asking because I was also waitlisted after a subpar student interview and solid faculty interview. Just felt like I couldn't connect to my student as easily, like we had different communication styles or something.

Do you think it was the student interview that did you in? I'm asking because I was also waitlisted after a subpar student interview and solid faculty interview. Just felt like I couldn't connect to my student as easily, like we had different communication styles or something.
I totally second this. My faculty interview went amazingly well- we had a lot in common and he continuously told me how impressed he was and how he enjoyed the interview. My student interviewer started off by telling me he had a negative experience with his student interviewer- he seemed kind of salty about it and was dominating the convo and talking a lot about himself. I hoped the faculty interview would weigh more, but I ended up on the WL.

Although it is true that we are poor judges of our own interviews, I feel like the student interview really mattered. I felt like I was hella vibing with my dude. We had a lot in common (interest in primary care, play guitar, I’m very familiar with his undergrad...) my faculty interview was ayt, but talking to my other friend who also got in, she said something similar in that she really got along with her student interviewer while her faculty interview was meh.

I totally second this. My faculty interview went amazingly well- we had a lot in common and he continuously told me how impressed he was and how he enjoyed the interview. My student interviewer started off by telling me he had a negative experience with his student interviewer- he seemed kind of salty about it and was dominating the convo and talking a lot about himself. I hoped the faculty interview would weigh more, but I ended up on the WL.

Sounds pretty similar to my interview actually. I remember he kind of dominated the conversation by giving very detailed "counter-responses" to my answers to his questions. I didn't know if I was supposed to ask him questions to further the conversation on the topic at hand or just give a short response and wait for his next question. So much ambiguity!

Most likely. My faculty interview went well, but my student interview was okay. It’s okay cuz **** happens. I’m just going to have to email Dean Arias on June 1st since USC is my top choice!

I was told that physician interview and student interview are scored on the exact same scale, and have the same weight for admissions decisions.

Does anyone know how/where to find the USC school-specific financial aid app? Is there one? I already did FAFSA.

Does anyone know how/where to find the USC school-specific financial aid app? Is there one? I already did FAFSA.
I was told via e-mail to complete the Financial Aid Supplement 2018-2019 (in addition to your FAFSA) on their site (googleable - can't post link) and access this by making a myUSC account.

I was having trouble finding this too. I went to the link on the financial aid site and logged in with my usc id but I think it says they haven’t received my fafsa yet? Can you PM me if you ever figure it out?

I was having trouble finding this too. I went to the link on the financial aid site and logged in with my usc id but I think it says they haven’t received my fafsa yet? Can you PM me if you ever figure it out?

I'm on the same boat. I submitted the supplemental form and added USC to my FASFA. The supplemental has been marked as received, but my FASFA still hasn't.
I was planning to call them next week to make sure this is all we have to do to apply for financial aid.

I'm on the same boat. I submitted the supplemental form and added USC to my FASFA. The supplemental has been marked as received, but my FASFA still hasn't.
I was planning to call them next week to make sure this is all we have to do to apply for financial aid.
How did you fill out the supplemental??

+1

How did you fill out the supplemental??

USC Financial Aid

Start at financial aid website -> toolbox drop down-> FAST log in-> myUSC -> financial aid tab -> FAST log in
It should be one of the required documents (if I remember correctly)

Hope this helps!

USC Financial Aid

Start at financial aid website -> toolbox drop down-> FAST log in-> myUSC -> financial aid tab -> FAST log in
It should be one of the required documents (if I remember correctly)

Hope this helps!
Wow, that was really easy. Thank you so much! Btw, if we are offered loans we are allowed to decline them if we need too right?

lol bumping my own question.
From looking at previous threads it looks like everyone is either accepted or waitlisted after the interview. I could be totally wrong thought, but that is just what I have noticed on this forum and prev USC forums. I totally could have missed a few posts though.

From looking at previous threads it looks like everyone is either accepted or waitlisted after the interview. I could be totally wrong thought, but that is just what I have noticed on this forum and prev USC forums. I totally could have missed a few posts though.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I'm hoping someone who knows someone who has been rejected post-II would chime in, haha.

I had noticed the same thing on another school thread that also isn't super active like this one and was curious, but then out of the blue someone said they had been rejected post-II and I realized that those ppl probably don't wanna stick around a thread.

Hey all of you fortunate future Keck MDs, I have a quick question for you.

How many of you had experience with the underserved/poor, how meaningful experience was it and to what extent did you discuss it in your app/how big of a part it played?

I keep hearing how Dean Arias wants people who have served the poor and will continue doing so but I have no experience with the underserved, unless animal shelter counts for the “less fortunate than yourself” theme

How many of you had experience with the underserved/poor, how meaningful experience was it and to what extent did you discuss it in your app/how big of a part it played?

I keep hearing how Dean Arias wants people who have served the poor and will continue doing so but I have no experience with the underserved, unless animal shelter counts for the “less fortunate than yourself” theme

My friend and I, both admitted, have years of experience serving the poor. n=2

Same for me, as well as my friend who also was admitted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serving the poor is really the definition of Keck -- especially when put in direct comparison to other medical schools in Los Angeles (ucla).

The med students share a campus with the Los Angeles county hospital, which serves hundreds of thousands of underserved each year. Med students do almost all of their rotations at county, working with mainly poor patients. The area itself is relatively underserved. It makes sense that service to the community would be a major qualifier for admissions here, compared to ucla on the west side, which certainly places a higher emphasis on research, prestige, etc...

In addition to the underserved focus others have talked about, you'll soon see that Keck's secondary is the most unique out of any out there. There's a huge emphasis on fit - AKA are you a chill person and can you fit in with the great group of students already at school? When you're filling it out, be yourself and speak candidly about your passions/goals/hobbies. I had a blast with mine, speaking about everything from my volunteering to my research to my hobbies to my favorite movies to the NFL lol. Use it as a chance to paint a genuine picture of yourself outside the premed. And above all, just have fun with it! It's a really pleasant break from all the diversity/greatest challenge ones.