2017-2018 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
to those of you who have already gotten an II - did your reference mention that he or she was contacted by the adcom?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a separate application/II for HTE? I checked Yes on the "interested in HTE" box, but didn't write an essay for it or anything

I think you fill something out if you get an II? Maybe? We have yet to find someone who applied HTE who has actually gotten an II, so if someone has please chime in! A few of us are waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when USC will start rejecting folks

USC was my first rejection last cycle. Got the email on 8/22. So I guess they're running behind this year cause I haven't been axed yet :p

Reactions: 3 users
USC was my first rejection last cycle. Got the email on 8/22. So I guess they're running behind this year cause I haven't been axed yet :p
Cant wait :)

Reactions: 7 users
I think you fill something out if you get an II? Maybe? We have yet to find someone who applied HTE who has actually gotten an II, so if someone has please chime in! A few of us are waiting.

According to the website, after you receive a II, you're supposed to submit 2 extra essays for HTE before the interview. (Admissions | Health, Technology, and Engineering | USC) From a friend last year, submitting the 2 essays isn't entirely necessary because she was contacted a couple days before her interview when she still hadn't submitted the essays to have an extra interview anyways. So basically if you're interested, and are finished with secondaries, work on the essays. If not, probably not a huge deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Throwing my hat in the ring this week. How heavily rolling is USC?

For those of you who received interviews, who were your LORs from? Just curious over here.

For those of you who received interviews, who were your LORs from? Just curious over here.
it probably wouldn't matter, aside from their requirements..... quality of the letter > class taught, am I wrong?

it probably wouldn't matter, aside from their requirements..... quality of the letter > class taught, am I wrong?
Nah, you're definitely right. This is an oddly specific question to ask that I guarantee has no specific trend or impact on selection for a II. Quality >>> everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8/519, complete 7/7 and complete silence. I wonder why :')

3.8/519, complete 7/7 and complete silence. I wonder why :')
They already have Sam Darnold. Wait until the season starts...if Darnold goes down, you may get a call. :D

Nah, you're definitely right. This is an oddly specific question to ask that I guarantee has no specific trend or impact on selection for a II. Quality >>> everything.

Well yes, that's definitely true. I was asking just to see if they place an emphasis on letters from professors who have taught you.We only get 3 letters after all...

Well yes, that's definitely true. I was asking just to see if they place an emphasis on letters from professors who have taught you.We only get 3 letters after all...
uh, they should be letters from professors that you actually had.....

uh, they should be letters from professors that you actually had.....

You're misunderstanding my question, but ok...
I just wanted to know if they welcome getting letters from activity and work supervisors, rather than 3 letters from professors you've had. That's all.

I just wanted to know if they welcome getting letters from activity and work supervisors, rather than 3 letters from professors you've had. That's all.
i'm sorry, that's not what it sounded like

I sent a letter packet, but here is info from their website: "A committee letter is sufficient. Alternatively, 2 or 3 letters from professors, PI’s or work experience are acceptable."

And for more info: http://keck.usc.edu/education/md-program/admissions/faqs/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

annndddd rejected! guess I wasn't what they were looking for.

annndddd rejected! guess I wasn't what they were looking for.

+1 just now. First one of the season oh well. Was my last secondary and wrote about Steve Irwin lol. Good luck y'all!

We all expect it during this process, but it still stings! When were you complete?
Mid-July. I live on the East Coast so I'm not overly bummed, saves me travel expenses lol. I don't think I fit their mission anyways. Best of luck to everyone else! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just got rejected as well!! Here is the link to the rejection survey, feel free to share this link in other threads as well! 2017-2018 Rejection survey

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

USC/Caltech MSTP II! Complete early August

Rejected. Saw while I was at another interview. Disappointed cause I thought I was a good fit for their HTE program and they supposedly like high MCAT. Realistically wouldn't have attended cause of cost. Would've been nice to visit friends though

Show us the rejection email response. I'd like to preview it before receiving it. I think that I won't feel as bad that way

Rejected. Saw while I was at another interview. Disappointed cause I thought I was a good fit for their HTE program and they supposedly like high MCAT. Realistically wouldn't have attended cause of cost. Would've been nice to visit friends though
I also thought I saw on previous thread that reapplicants get rejected pretty freq at USC

Rejected today at 2:15pm. IS, LM ~70.
"We are grateful to you and to thousands of your colleagues across the country for applying to the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California. Unfortunately, I am writing to tell you that you have not been chosen to interview this year. I still hope that your desire to be of service will be fulfilled."
I read the email at work in the middle of a three-hour negotiation/meeting that just ended. Not exactly an energy boost! lol
It was a reach school for me, so I'm not surprised.
Best of luck to the rest of you!

Rejected today at 2:15pm. IS, LM ~70.
"We are grateful to you and to thousands of your colleagues across the country for applying to the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California. Unfortunately, I am writing to tell you that you have not been chosen to interview this year. I still hope that your desire to be of service will be fulfilled."
I read the email at work in the middle of a three-hour negotiation/meeting that just ended. Not exactly an energy boost! lol
It was a reach school for me, so I'm not surprised.
Best of luck to the rest of you!
When complete?