2017-2018 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In past threads, there are people who are periodically pulled of the hold list throughout the interview season. However, they said this interview season is lasting longer than most (mid-April). Based on calculations on how many people are on interviews (6-8) as said in previous responses and 3 interviews a week excluding the last two weeks in March, they have about 60-70 more people to interview before the end of the season.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have an idea on when people who were put on hold should hear back? Does UTHSC historically just finish up interviews and then look at people on hold or is there the possibility that people on hold will hear back at any point?

I had talked to Nelson Strother a few weeks ago about the hold list. I asked whether the committee usually reviews and accepts off hold in the middle of the cycle or near the end of the interview season. He said it varies cycle to cycle and either can happen, but this cycle looks most likely to be the latter.

Has anyone on this thread actually been pulled off the hold list yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone on this thread actually been pulled off the hold list yet?
There may end up being like one or two people who make it off the hold list (If you go through last years thread it looked like one or two people did), but "hold" is very likely wait list purgatory. Just take solace knowing that the wait list at UT is pretty dynamic. In past threads top 50 has almost guaranteed an acceptance.

It would be great if I could interview lmao

It would be great if I could interview lmao
Its been so long at this point im just thinking im going to get an email saying, " we had every intention to interview you, but due to scheduling issues we were unable to. Now go cry in your corner as you wait"

Its been so long at this point im just thinking im going to get an email saying, " we had every intention to interview you, but due to scheduling issues we were unable to. Now go cry in your corner as you wait"
“Congrats on being some of the first people that we sent a secondary to that didn’t get interviewed”

Reactions: 1 users
I think somebody above said that they are behind schedule.

Does anyone have an estimate of how long it takes for letters to go out after a committee meeting?

Does anyone have an estimate of how long it takes for letters to go out after a committee meeting?

When I interviewed last week, they said the letter should be mailed this week. Although most people get an email to say it's on the way.

Did anyone that interviewed last week get any emails this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone that interviewed last week get any emails this week?
Interviewed last week and haven't heard anything :/ I thought they were going to try to send them this week. Although I heard through the grapevine that the scholarship interviews were last week (aka people who were invited to compete for merit scholarships interviewed) so they may have put others on hold to make those decisions...

Received the letter today - on hold. For those keeping track, I interviewed in early March and received the survey email on 3/21.

Adcom still has interviews through the second week of April. This is a long process and the 'list' usually is not finalized until the end of May. Even then there is some shuffling of roster spots that goes on throughout the summer. It is worth inquiring where you are on the final hold list if you haven't heard more by the end of May, just don't blow their email up with incessant status checking.
If you want real feedback on how to improve your odds, either email Nelson and ask specifically or get in touch with your interviewer.

Source: Current Student

Just got the email saying that the survey is on the way and postmarked on Friday. Interviewed week of March 11.

II just now! Completed 09/02/17. Good luck everyone!

II offered last night for 2 weeks from today .. does anyone know the current admissions profile? I wasn't sure if UTHSC updated their admissions like Quillen COM at ETSU does. Just curious about the current number of acceptances offered. It's pretty late in the game for an interview

Any word on that Facebook group for accepted students? Started apartment hunting and would also be interested in finding a roommate

II last night for next week. Is it even worth going this late in the cycle for UT?

You will definitely want to go to your interview. UTHSC is very very personal, and they want to get to know you (that's why the max they'll interview at a time is 10... usually 6ish). The more they see you, the better! So even if its a long shot, you want to go... If not for this cycle, next cycle.

I got accepted last week so it’s still possible to be accepted.
Wow congrats! Were you on hold and got off hold, or your first decision after interviewing was an acceptance?

Anybody know anything about 3rd and 4th year rotations in Nashville? Would be a lot more appealing if one could do away rotations there. Thanks

Does anyone get rejected post interview or just placed on hold?

I got rejected post-interview. Maybe my case is an outlier, as I was under the impression originally everyone got placed on hold too looking at my friends/this forum

Have no fear people without an II, I called and the office said they’re going well into april

To second what the above person said, I know two people off the top of my head that have gotten rejected post interview. They definitely seem to prefer to place people on hold, but post-interview rejections do happen.

Reactions: 3 users
Any word on that Facebook group for accepted students? Started apartment hunting and would also be interested in finding a roommate
So there is a group that was created but I tried getting in and I got no response..

To second what the above person said, I know two people off the top of my head that have gotten rejected post interview. They definitely seem to prefer to place people on hold, but post-interview rejections do happen.
I can third this I know of a few people who were rejected post interview

Anybody know anything about 3rd and 4th year rotations in Nashville? Would be a lot more appealing if one could do away rotations there. Thanks
What Nelson said was we will have full rotations available in Nashville by our time. That’s their goal. They have several open already.

Also, does anyone know if most first year students tend to live in Mud Island or Midtown?

Also, does anyone know if most first year students tend to live in Mud Island or Midtown?

Most students live in Mud Island. Pretty much the entire place are either students or people who work at St Jude. Students tend to move to midtown when they start to feel more comfortable around Memphis. So if you're from the Memphis area most of them live in midtown since they know the area.

Don't count on it, there are a few and they are working to expand them...but by and large the site is not quite ready for several of the core rotations. It is purely speculation as to when the rest will be ready.

Knoxville, Chatt, Memphis have every rotation. Muph, Jackson have community family inpt and there are several rural rotations for FM. You can get plenty of variety if you so desire

Guys and gal Facebook page is up. See u on there!

So.... it's Thursday and I still haven't gotten an interview invite lol

Did you get a secondary?
Yep, and I even emailed them asking about my status. they said essentially, " thanks for being patient, we do plan to interview you, keep in mind, our interviews are going well into April. Once scheduled, you will receive all pertinent details."

please tell me im not the only one..... lol, im so frustrated with this crap

please tell me im not the only one..... lol, im so frustrated with this crap
You are not the only one. I called them and they said the same. I’m just really frustrated because I’m across the state and I’ll be in Memphis this weekend anyway.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how they communicate acceptances? I am currently on hold, but wondering if they did accept me should I expect a phone call, email, or snail mail letter?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how they communicate acceptances? I am currently on hold, but wondering if they did accept me should I expect a phone call, email, or snail mail letter?

Snail mail (or at least it was for me)

Snail mail (or at least it was for me)
Thank you for this information! Did they also send you an email before that a decision was on its way, or a confirmation email after the matter?

Thank you for this information! Did they also send you an email before that a decision was on its way, or a confirmation email after the matter?
They will send you an email about an interview survey. That email means that your decision was sent in the mail. However since you were put on hold this may not apply since they probably already sent you that email, u might just get a letter in snail mail.

Well another week, hopefully an II. I’m rooting for everyone to get one lmao