2017-2018 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the under review email. Submitted 6/29.

Members don't see this ad.

When people say submitted, does that mean when they submitted their primary via TMDSAS? Doesn't it take 3-4 weeks for TMDSAS just to verify information before they send it out to schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
When people say submitted, does that mean when they submitted their primary via TMDSAS? Doesn't it take 3-4 weeks for TMDSAS just to verify information before they send it out to schools.
You're correct. The above poster meant to say "transmitted" 6/29. There's actually a feed on the TMDSAS homepage that announces the submission date for the apps they're reviewing that day. Today they were reviewing apps submitted on the 12th.

What kind of diversity do you see in the students?
I would say our class is diverse! Overall, most people are from Texas and most people went to college in Texas - so that one thing is very common. However, racially, religiously, and based on past experiences, I'd say we have a diverse group in our class. We held a diversity week this past semester that was really great, it was a lunch lecture each day that discussed some aspect of diversity in medicine, whether it be dealing with disability or racial prejudice. Do you have any more specific questions related to that?

Thanks a lot! Could you please fill us in on what factors made you decide on attending McGovern? Thanks in advance!
First off - you'll have to choose based on where you get in - because honestly that is what drives a lot of people's decisions whether you want it to or not. But, reasons why I chose McGovern specifically (it was my first choice of TX schools):
1. Location - nothing can honestly beat the Texas Medical Center, it is it's own downtown and it's the best place to get medical training. There's access to any type of research and shadowing in any field you can think of. Another important factor when it comes to residency is knowing program directors and there's multiple residencies in Houston aside from those with McGovern, so that's also an important factor. The school is just in such a great location that was the most important factor for me. Secondly with location, I am from Houston so I wanted to be in Houston anyway to be close to family. Also, Houston has a ton going on and is a fun city to be in. I knew schools in smaller cities in TX would not interest me at all because I much prefer big cities - but that's specific to me.
2. Price - all the TX schools have the great cheap price, but I was also considering out of state schools and for this reason ended up choosing to stay in TX.
3. Interview day - the McGovern interview day is amazing, they truly try to impress you, and it worked for me!

Now that I have gone to the school for a year, I know that I chose right for me. I love my classmates and I've greatly enjoyed the school and the medical center.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions - I'll respond when I can! :)

Reactions: 1 user
What type of questions did they ask you during your interview? Are they looking for anything specific?
They asked me the usual questions - why medicine, why this school, why Houston, any thought on what specialty you want to do, describe yourself and your background, any research/clinical experience

I didn't get any unusual questions at McGovern, it was mostly conversational!

They asked me the usual questions - why medicine, why this school, why Houston, any thought on what specialty you want to do, describe yourself and your background, any research/clinical experience

I didn't get any unusual questions at McGovern, it was mostly conversational!
Was this an MD-PhD interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when they typically start sending out II's?

II by email, transmitted 6/12

Reactions: 2 users
II, transmitted early June

Last edited:
Also II here. transmitted early June. IS, Lizzy 75+

Reactions: 1 users
II, transmitted late May, IS, Lizzy M 76

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just received an II! Transmitted early June , 72 LM , IS

Also received an II this afternoon! IS, LM ~70-71. So excited because this is one of my top choices!! Transmitted 6/13

Also received an II this afternoon! IS, LM ~70-71. So excited because this is one of my top choices!! Transmitted 6/13

Same! Even though there are higher ranked schools in Texas, this is probably my favorite school in Texas.

This is considered the third best in Texas right?

I think you could argue 3rd or 4th. Baylor and UTSW are definitely the top. Dell is either equivalent or slightly lower because of its newness. I do believe that Dell will eventually surpass Mcgovern and maybe it has already.

I think you could argue 3rd or 4th. Baylor and UTSW are definitely the top. Dell is either equivalent or slightly lower because of its newness. I do believe that Dell will eventually surpass Mcgovern and maybe it has already.
I dunno. I think you need to produce at least one physician before you can start claiming to be better than any other medical school.

Reactions: 8 users
I dunno. I think you need to produce at least one physician before you can start claiming to be better than any other medical school.

I agree. All we know is that Dell is highly selective. That says nothing about the quality of its curriculum until we can see some real stats.

That's true! Definitely a risk going there. In my personal opinion, Dell has a quirky curriculum and selection process. If they wanted to though, they could easily have class profiles similar to UTSW & Baylor. Definitely a "different" school and mission.

Man, I'm pretty sure McGovern will be one of my top choices. Congrats to everyone with an II, I hope I get one soon!

McGovern is definitely my top choice. Hope to get an II here soon too!

Anyone get an II who transmitted Late June?

Does McGovern tend to invite high stats applicants first and then go back to the more average stats? My app transmitted 6/20 LizzyM 69 ORM
I really want to go here and just want to know if I should be worried or not

Last edited:
Does McGovern tend to invite high stats applicants first and then go back to the more average stats? My app transmitted 6/20 LizzyM 69 ORM

I'm in the same boat :( I have LizzyM 69 as well IS applicant. I have other interviews from UTSanAntonio and Texas Tech but Houston's my top choices. Trying not to be discouraged

LizzyM 74 and nothing from here but have heard from Baylor/Southwestern etc. Don't fret at all is my point.

Reactions: 4 users
LizzyM 74 and nothing from here but have heard from Baylor/Southwestern etc. Don't fret at all is my point.
I'm in the same boat. LizzyM 75 and I have IIs from all Texas schools I applied to except McGovern.

Does anyone know if any of the TX schools practice yield protection?

Does anyone know if any of the TX schools practice yield protection?

At the beginning of the cycle I was worried they might, but I'm more doubtful now. At least in my case, I'm a high LizzyM applicant whose heard back from all the texas schools except A&M and Southwestern

Last edited:

They've only sent out a single batch of IIs two weeks ago. I obviously would have preferred to get one in that initial batch but not getting one yet is nothing to worry about at this point.