2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious as well. I interviewed a month ago and still nothing.
They’re testing you guys to see who is brave enough to call and inquire on their status.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If UTRGV SOM is listed under "School Rank Preference" in the TMDSAS portal, and there aren't any pre-match offers, does that mean I've been waitlisted? I haven't received any emails regarding my status.

If UTRGV SOM is listed under "School Rank Preference" in the TMDSAS portal, and there aren't any pre-match offers, does that mean I've been waitlisted? I haven't received any emails regarding my status.

It doesn't mean that you've been 'waitlisted'. It just means you haven't been accepted. If you interviewed really recently, odds are they haven't even reviewed your file post-interview.

FWIW, the whole waitlist thing isn't really an official waitlist. It's just the list of those who are below the threshold for pre-match period acceptances. A legitimate waitlist, like the ones that the other TX schools have, won't exist until after match day when their matriculating class has been tentatively set in place.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy holidays guys!

Reactions: 2 users
It doesn't mean that you've been 'waitlisted'. It just means you haven't been accepted. If you interviewed really recently, odds are they haven't even reviewed your file post-interview.

FWIW, the whole waitlist thing isn't really an official waitlist. It's just the list of those who are below the threshold for pre-match period acceptances. A legitimate waitlist, like the ones that the other TX schools have, won't exist until after match day when their matriculating class has been tentatively set in place.

Thanks for the info. It's just that they told us that the adcom would meet yesterday and send out decisions today. I've been refreshing my email and the TMDSAS page, pero nada.

Just an FYI. Be sure to check your spam folders! My acceptance email was in there and it seems like other people's were also.

I think its safe to say that if we don’t hear back by 5 then we are not hearing back at all.

You guys are spasing too much about this , just chill and wait till match day. There will be lots of surprises there. Just my two cents :)

I think its safe to say that if we don’t hear back by 5 then we are not hearing back at all.
I thought someone mentioned the 24? What were you told friend, as far as the timeline is concerned?

I thought someone mentioned the 24? What were you told friend, as far as the timeline is concerned?

I had a friend call and ask this week. She spoke with the admissions secretary and they said that they “do it in batches” and that the last couple of interviews were scheduled to find out this week.

So confused why people who interviewed this month have heard back, and I still haven’t :/

Maybe because there are only 5 Out of State spots? There is a lot of WL movement at this school too. Hang in there
That’s probably accurate, but not even a WL is making for a very difficult wait

Members don't see this ad :)
Spoke too soon, WL today :(
Lol damn. At least you heard back! Thats what you wanted, right? Keep the faith. Send a letter of interest or something if this is where you really want to be. I havent heard anything either (also OOS October interview) but I've heard back from other schools so i can't complain.

Lol damn. At least you heard back! Thats what you wanted, right? Keep the faith. Send a letter of interest or something if this is where you really want to be. I havent heard anything either (also OOS October interview) but I've heard back from other schools so i can't complain.
Very true, hope you hear good news soon :)

Also, I would’ve thought they would fix their email. It’s not really fun to get an email saying “Dear FIRSTNAME”

Will there be anymore interviews in January. Patiently :shrug:waiting

Will there be anymore interviews in January. Patiently :shrug:waiting

I've seen you post on several TX threads. To be completely honest, I'm fairly certain that all TX schools have finished sending out IIs. Several (Tech, A&M, Long SOM) have already completed all their interview dates. There is still a chance that someone somewhere will withdraw their interview spot, but it's not really something to bank on unfortunately.

If anyone is ranking UTRGV pretty highly in their rank list, please pm me! :) Thank you

Can any second year student comment on their experiences here? How prepared do you feel for Step1?

Can any second year student comment on their experiences here? How prepared do you feel for Step1?

At my interview, they all said that they were very prepared.

At my interview, they all said that they were very prepared.

I don't know how accurate that is because they haven't really started to dedicated study/take full practice exams. With that said, I think NBMEs are included in the curriculum. That's definitely a positive.

I don't know how accurate that is because they haven't really started to dedicated study/take full practice exams. With that said, I think NBMEs are included in the curriculum. That's definitely a positive.
NBME sure are because some of the student that I talked to, said that they were doing well on theirs. But to be fair, the school can only do so much to prepare you for step.

Gonna echo some prior comments. Students at interview day all said that they *feel* prepared. Additionally, there is a hefty amount of dedicated study time (2-3 months I believe). But we won't know exactly how well prepared everyone was until the school's first round of results come in. Kind of part of the risk of a new school.

All that said, I have faith that they'll perform well. UT-system school at the end of the day, and it seemed to me like they were erring on the side of over-preparation if anything for the first class.

All of this is really great to hear :) I didn't know they had NBME's as part of the curriculum. That's really good! There's always a risk with new schools, but hopefully it's all worth it!

MS-2 here. We are given ample amount of study materials (kaplan, pathoma, etc.) and have multiple seminars about STEP prep. We have up to 12 weeks of dedicated study and many of us have already started studying alongside classes. And yes, the school can only take you so far in STEP prep (no matter what med school you end up at). In the end, it's up to you and your determination to master everything you need to know about STEP.

Reactions: 3 users
MS-2 here. We are given ample amount of study materials (kaplan, pathoma, etc.) and have multiple seminars about STEP prep. We have up to 12 weeks of dedicated study and many of us have already started studying alongside classes. And yes, the school can only take you so far in STEP prep (no matter what med school you end up at). In the end, it's up to you and your determination to master everything you need to know about STEP.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful! You guys are gonna kill STEP! Good luck!

Just wanted to say, goodluck to everyone tomorrow!
I am very excited to meet all my future classmates of 2022

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
At 8 AM, the TMDSAS portal will update with match results.
Are they going to send us an email? Or is the match process totally different from previous match?

Are they going to send us an email? Or is the match process totally different from previous match?
You will log in to your TMDSAS portal and if you have a match, it will tell you where.
If you did not match, but have not been rejected, there are still months of chances left in case others change their decisions on schools.
The site will probably be jammed at 8 am so if you can't sign on, try again in 30 minutes :)

Last edited:
You will log in to your TMDSAS portal and if you have a match, it will tell you where.
If you did not match, but have not been rejected, there are still months of chances left in case others change their decisions on schools.
The site will probably be jammed at 8 am so if you can't sign on, they again in 30 minutes :)
Thanks

Matched and will be attending!
Trollest finally a doctor!

Reactions: 5 users
For those of us that weren't matched, where would we look in the future/check periodically until orientation?

For those of us that weren't matched, where would we look in the future/check periodically until orientation?
I think you'll have to be checking for an email cause that's the only way the schools are gonna contact you

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using SDN mobile

I matched, anyone know the next step cause I have to gotten any emails from the school

I don’t know if it’s different for you guys with the match, but within a few weeks I was sent some contingency forms to my email that I had to return.

Oh okay, so you did not get any email from the school on match day

I am OOS, I was accepted on October 16th (I feel bad for how long you guys had to wait!!)

But within a couple of weeks they sent me an email with forms to complete and return!

ALSO! Congrats to everyone who matched!! Can’t wait to meet you all at orientation!

Thank you, this whole process has been stressful and exciting. Can't wait to meet everyone at orientation

The school is small (50 in each class), and there's a pretty long orientation program (2.5 weeks for our year, 4 weeks for the MS2s), so it's pretty easy to get to know all of the students, and so far I'm very happy with my class. Very friendly, not many big egos, and there are a lot of non-trad students who bring a lot of unique experience that a lot of traditional students don't have. I'm originally from SA, so it's a very similar vibe here in the Valley, and it feels very similar to home. The Valley is growing to be huge, I believe it's population is around 1.2 million, which is part of the reason why this region needed a medical school and residency program. Edinburg is nice and I live in a gated apartment with other medical and PA students, so at least where I live and the UTRGV campus is pretty safe. That being said, I wouldn't want to try my luck staying out close to the border at night by myself, just be smart about what you do and where you go, like every other city. The McAllen-Edinburg-Mission metroplex is actually a lot bigger than I expected, considering I did my undergrad in a small college town OOS in the middle of nowhere. We have the same amenities that every city has, lots of bars and restaurants, some live music, although big name stars usually don't make it down to the Valley. I would also say due to how fast the region is booming, everything is very brand new, very suburban, and the cities here don't really have a lot of "historic" character, as compared SA, Houston, Austin, Dallas etc.
I just matched to the school, how did you go about getting accommodation

MATCHED!!!!!!!!!!
I am SO excited to meet everyone! I’m still in shock... is there a FB page for the class yet?
To all of those that didn’t match, please do not give up. This was my third time applying to medical school. Keep working hard, keep believing, keep trying.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone that matched! Is this any of yalls number one or only choice?

Has anyone heard anything about accepting the offer of admission yet, cause I don't want to miss out on any deadline

Expansion plans for the UTRGV Edinburg Campus. Not sure when this will happen, but good to know. http://riograndeguardian.com/krouse-new-12-million-facility-to-be-built-at-utrgv-school-of-medicine/

The next building phase is slated for August and should take 1-1.5 years. The fourth building is in the planning stages.

Also congratulations for those accepted! If you have any questions about the school/moving/etc., feel free to ask or PM me. Second look should be sometime in April and you can probably find an orientation schedule/timeline on the medical school website. The date may change because I believe they're still tweaking the orientation length.

Has anyone got an email offer from the school? Also, is there a Facebook group for incoming students?