2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone got an email offer from the school? Also, is there a Facebook group for incoming students?
I just got an email this morning, and one of the things I did not understand was welcome back weekend

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an email this morning, and one of the things I did not understand was welcome back weekend

I think it’s just a second look weekend. You get to meet the faculty and your fellow classmates before orientation

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Did it state anything that was going on like plans or schedule? Does it last all weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Didn’t state anything specific about the weekend. I’ll send you a copy of the email since I think they only sent it to instate Match kids!

Reactions: 1 users
I matched yesterday! I'm beyond excited, I can't wait to start my journey to be an MD!

Reactions: 5 users
So just double checking, do we have to pay anything to hold our seat?

So just double checking, do we have to pay anything to hold our seat?
I don't think so, since the match has already been done, I don't think that is necessary. And it does not say anything about payment in the congratulatory email they sent out

I don't think so, since the match has already been done, I don't think that is necessary. And it does not say anything about payment in the congratulatory email they sent out

Yeah it says nothing about it which is why i wanted to double check if there was a typo or not.

Yeah it says nothing about it which is why i wanted to double check if there was a typo or not.

Speaking of typos, there was a typo in the acceptance email. It said that orientation starts on Monday July 7th, 2018. July 7 is a Saturday. They meant Monday, July 9th as the first day of orientation.

Speaking of typos, there was a typo in the acceptance email. It said that orientation starts on Monday July 7th, 2018. July 7 is a Saturday. They meant Monday, July 9th as the first day of orientation.

I emailed Ms. Betty and she confirmed Monday, July 9th, 2018.
I'm not sure if this has already been addressed but are there any current students that would like to share what first year has been like for them?
I am so excited that this is finally happening, but slightly nervous and would gladly appreciate any tips/advice :)

I emailed Ms. Betty and she confirmed Monday, July 9th, 2018.
I'm not sure if this has already been addressed but are there any current students that would like to share what first year has been like for them?
I am so excited that this is finally happening, but slightly nervous and would gladly appreciate any tips/advice :)

From what I've seen, first year (or more likely the first semester) will be highly dependent on how your college work ethic was like. Students from the more competitive schools saw it as easier just because they knew how to study while others had a reality check after the first exam. The hardest thing for any medical student is the transition into medical school as it means a new place (for many not all), new expectations, etc. Just enjoy your summer, pick up a hobby you've always wanted to do and develop good de-stressing methods now. Our school isn't cut throat so you won't have to worry about that. It's more that some modules will have high stakes exams (none during your first semester) so you'll want a way to be able to balance life/school when this happens. The school does a good job of making things manageable (I've never had two exams on one day thank god). Reach out to the MS2's and MS3's (half of the MS3's will still be in the city so you'll probably see them around). Also, study with others sometimes. Trust me, it'll help.

Does anyone know if there’s a Facebook group that will be made for our class? I’d love to meet my classmates!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any information on what the best apartment complexes would be for housing or have any news on word of a facebook group? I figure they may cover some of this information on second look day but you can't be sure

Hello future classmates,

There are a lot of comments about wanting a Facebook page for our class, and I am in agreement that such a page would be beneficial for many reasons including getting to meet each other and finding potential roomies.

I have created a secret group on FB for our class. No doubt the administration has such a group in the works, but there is no telling when that will be. If you want an invite to this (unofficial) fb group, feel free to send me a PM with your name so I can add you. You can make a throwaway account on sdn for this purpose if you are worried about anonymity on your main account (which you always should be online).

Limitations to this group would obviously be that it is limited to people who browse this thread, and people inviting people they know, which could make the group size anywhere from 6-25ish of our class of 50.

Let me know what you all think of this idea. We could also not do it and wait for the admin-made page (the unofficial group would be deleted once the admin makes a group, anyway).

I am excited to meet you all and start school!

Have you guys checked the veranda place? 375 per month and close to the campus. So pretty much no car for the first two years. I was actually thinking of living further south for 300 so i can buy a car with the remaining amount. I just feel like having a car is a must in mccallen (i.ei. food, going volunteering, etc,,)

Anyne else feels that way?

There's an overall school FB page, but I'll go bug some people so you guys can have an official class one soon.

Reactions: 3 users
Any accepted student gonna be going to the second look weekend and has an idea of what to do for accommodation. Any good places close to the school

Any accepted student gonna be going to the second look weekend and has an idea of what to do for accommodation. Any good places close to the school

I have the same question, I haven't heard much about the second look visit yet but who knows when they are gonna send an email concerning the details.

I have the same question, I haven't heard much about the second look visit yet but who knows when they are gonna send an email concerning the details.
All I know so far is that the activities start on Friday 6th April at 6pm and ends on Sunday at like 2pm.

I sent the MD admissions office an email cause I was trying to book my flight for the weekend

Awesome thank you for letting us know. I’m about to book my flight pretty soon too! Excited to meet you all.

I received information about welcome back weekend around mid-March so it's still a little early to hear any definite plans. I assume when you get information about welcome back weekend, it should also include the FB class group info. I talked to admissions and they said their working on all of it now so they'll probably send all the information out at one time.

Has anyone received a waitlist email yet?

Awesome thank you for letting us know. I’m about to book my flight pretty soon too! Excited to meet you all.
If anyone is flying from the DFW area, flights are pretty cheap right now, I drove down to the interview and since we're only gonna be there for a bit this time i'm gonna fly until i have to drive down to move there.

I received information about welcome back weekend around mid-March so it's still a little early to hear any definite plans. I assume when you get information about welcome back weekend, it should also include the FB class group info. I talked to admissions and they said their working on all of it now so they'll probably send all the information out at one time.
So that's when you're assuming that the FB group will be up and running so we can all get together and start talking about making plans and potentially meeting roommates etc.

So do we bring our parents to second look? or is it just for incoming students?

Oh okay great! My parents really wanna see the school and town! Can't wait to meet yall!

Hey guys, anyone knows how the dorms are. Got an email offering dorm accommodation for the second Look weekend, and It'd be nice to know what the dorms are like

Hey guys, anyone knows how the dorms are. Got an email offering dorm accommodation for the second Look weekend, and It'd be nice to know what the dorms are like
interested in knowng this as well.

You can see what they say about the dorms in Edinburg here. The med school itself does not have any dorms, these would be dorms at the Edinburg campus of the college. And not to dim their sunny prose, but residential life is not really a "significant part" of UTRGV experience at the college, as fewer than 600 students in total live in the dorms, out of an enrollment of 4500 freshman class. UTRGV students are largely from the RGV and tend to live at home with parents or in apartments. UTRGV - <system-page-title/>

Did you guys just get the email about the cost of attendance? What does the in-kind award mean?? I’m confused

Did you guys just get the email about the cost of attendance? What does the in-kind award mean?? I’m confused

I think it explains that term at the bottom in asterisk, but basically it means they give us iPads, stethoscopes, Kaplan for free.

I think it explains that term at the bottom in asterisk, but basically it means they give us iPads, stethoscopes, Kaplan for free.

Ohhh ok, I just thought that they meant those are just some examples of in-kind awards, not specifically ones we will get. Thanks for clarifying!

Ohhh ok, I just thought that they meant those are just some examples of in-kind awards, not specifically ones we will get. Thanks for clarifying!

I think you could be right.... I was about to buy an iPad Pro for school next year but I’m glad I held off. I’ll probably call them to see if they are gonna give us one.

Happy that we got a 15% scholarship though!

I think you could be right.... I was about to buy an iPad Pro for school next year but I’m glad I held off. I’ll probably call them to see if they are gonna give us one.

Happy that we got a 15% scholarship though!

YES me too! Let me know if you find out anything about the iPad, cos I was planning on buying an iPad Pro as well! It would be so nice if they gave them to us lol

You guys got a cost of attendance email? All I got was an email about a CBC and immunizations.

yea! try checking spam

also i never got an email about housing.. wondering if there's some sort of problem with their email server..

What are some good/safe/clean apartment complexes in McAllen/Edinburg?

YES me too! Let me know if you find out anything about the iPad, cos I was planning on buying an iPad Pro as well! It would be so nice if they gave them to us lol
During the interview, I talked with one of the MS1 students and they confirmed that we get iPads since that's where our textbooks will be

What are some good/safe/clean apartment complexes in McAllen/Edinburg?

Edinburg - Legends
McAllen - Residence/Rincon

Can't confirm. Haven't lived there. I just know people who do. It'll be good to make a list and check them out during welcome back weekend. Keep in mind apartments closer to campus (i.e. within walking distance) will have undergrads and might/probably will be louder. Most people I know commute to school and generally live closer to McAllen/in McAllen.

From what I've seen, first year (or more likely the first semester) will be highly dependent on how your college work ethic was like. Students from the more competitive schools saw it as easier just because they knew how to study while others had a reality check after the first exam. The hardest thing for any medical student is the transition into medical school as it means a new place (for many not all), new expectations, etc. Just enjoy your summer, pick up a hobby you've always wanted to do and develop good de-stressing methods now. Our school isn't cut throat so you won't have to worry about that. It's more that some modules will have high stakes exams (none during your first semester) so you'll want a way to be able to balance life/school when this happens. The school does a good job of making things manageable (I've never had two exams on one day thank god). Reach out to the MS2's and MS3's (half of the MS3's will still be in the city so you'll probably see them around). Also, study with others sometimes. Trust me, it'll help.
Yay! Thank you so much! I'm definitely beyond excited for this journey to start. I do really well studying with others because it gives me an opportunity to bounce ideas and help others (which would require me to know my stuff) or vice versa.

I just got an email with my utrgv account details and SID number, time to do the CBC. So excited about it

Did anyone else get the email for the Facebook group

Has anyone received a waitlist email or heard of any movement happening?