2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else transmit 7/7 or before and still have not received a secondary?
I transmitted on 7/11 and nothing :( you think it's too soon?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I transmitted on 7/11 and nothing :( you think it's too soon?!

I transmitted 5/25 and received my secondary on 6/1, so it took roughly six days for me.

It's worth noting, though, that the volume of applications they have now is likely higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fingers crossed that there is just a lag in application processing!
transmitted late july, secondary a week after. I don't really understand the screen process. I know people with better stats who submitted before me and haven't received secondary yet

Last edited:
II just now....

my first MD interview. I didn't think this would happen. IS LizzyM ~67. Not from the RGV valley.
complete 06/02

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II Just now!!!!!! first MD II. In state LizzyM 62, complete 6/21, ORM

Only date available was September 11 anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want an invite. I went to undergrad here, where is the love?

I only saw the 11th.

Did you enjoy your time at the School?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes I did! The students are great and faculty are respectful. The only downside for me were the limited research opportunities.

II yesterday!! September 15th interview date

Are there any current students willing to discuss the details of the PBL and the virtual lab?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

II yesterday! Scheduled for 9/18
In-state gringo with no real ties to the area
LizzyM 66

Also, if y'all want a look at what kind of research goes on in the valley, UTRGV SOM is hosting it's first research symposium. Here's a link to the booklet. It'll give y'all a better idea of research opportunities here (not all inclusive, there's still tons more here).
UTRGV - <system-page-title/>

Are there any current students willing to discuss the details of the PBL and the virtual lab?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

hi I'm an MS1 at UTRGV, let me know if you have any questions

hi I'm an MS1 at UTRGV, let me know if you have any questions

I'm OOS, Interviewing early Sept.
I'm from around a big city. How is living in Edinburg? Are there lots of things to do? Easy to make friends at/around the school?

I'm OOS, Interviewing early Sept.
I'm from around a big city. How is living in Edinburg? Are there lots of things to do? Easy to make friends at/around the school?

The school is small (50 in each class), and there's a pretty long orientation program (2.5 weeks for our year, 4 weeks for the MS2s), so it's pretty easy to get to know all of the students, and so far I'm very happy with my class. Very friendly, not many big egos, and there are a lot of non-trad students who bring a lot of unique experience that a lot of traditional students don't have. I'm originally from SA, so it's a very similar vibe here in the Valley, and it feels very similar to home. The Valley is growing to be huge, I believe it's population is around 1.2 million, which is part of the reason why this region needed a medical school and residency program. Edinburg is nice and I live in a gated apartment with other medical and PA students, so at least where I live and the UTRGV campus is pretty safe. That being said, I wouldn't want to try my luck staying out close to the border at night by myself, just be smart about what you do and where you go, like every other city. The McAllen-Edinburg-Mission metroplex is actually a lot bigger than I expected, considering I did my undergrad in a small college town OOS in the middle of nowhere. We have the same amenities that every city has, lots of bars and restaurants, some live music, although big name stars usually don't make it down to the Valley. I would also say due to how fast the region is booming, everything is very brand new, very suburban, and the cities here don't really have a lot of "historic" character, as compared SA, Houston, Austin, Dallas etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a secondary invite the day after my app transmitted, and I turned that it within two days. I think my file was complete last wednesday. Still no II. anyone know if the screening is very selective? I really hope I get an II. Do you think my file is late?

Their secondary appears automatic. They don't seem to be interviewing large numbers of people.
They do screen for the secondary, not all applicants get it. Their class size is 50. Their admissions process I would say lags behind that of the more experienced schools.

The available days were in october!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Does this school send an application complete email? I never got one, but reviewing the secondary it doesn't seem to ask for a new email and I got the secondary just fine. I'm just going through schools to make sure I'm complete/put in information correctly such as emails for updates.

Does this school send an application complete email? I never got one, but reviewing the secondary it doesn't seem to ask for a new email and I got the secondary just fine. I'm just going through schools to make sure I'm complete/put in information correctly such as emails for updates.

I think they just send an email saying they received your secondary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a funny story about this. Embarrassing, but funny. I completed the secondary app on 7/24 and thought I had submitted it. Then about 3 weeks later, I just decided to go in and check all my applications to see if I got any rejections and I noticed the last green check box for this one "Submit Application" was a red X. I realized I never clicked the last tab to submit it, and could have submitted it 3 weeks earlier!! I immediately got an "application submitted" email after I hit submit. I ended up getting an II two days later but sad it could have been a lot earlier. All this to say, check to make sure you actually submitted it!! Especially if you didn't get an email.

I have a funny story about this. Embarrassing, but funny. I completed the secondary app on 7/24 and thought I had submitted it. Then about 3 weeks later, I just decided to go in and check all my applications to see if I got any rejections and I noticed the last green check box for this one "Submit Application" was a red X. I realized I never clicked the last tab to submit it, and could have submitted it 3 weeks earlier!! I immediately got an "application submitted" email after I hit submit. I ended up getting an II two days later but sad it could have been a lot earlier. All this to say, check to make sure you actually submitted it!! Especially if you didn't get an email.

Wow! That's a pretty fast turn around time! When did you end up submitting? I was complete two weeks ago and no II yet

Wow! That's a pretty fast turn around time! When did you end up submitting? I was complete two weeks ago and no II yet

I know I was shocked. I submitted on 8/15. But honestly, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to this process. Don't base your correspondence on anything else because I've been driving myself crazy doing that, and none of it makes sense. On this thread alone, some people had 3-4 week turn-around times, so keep hope alive!!

Last edited:
II today
Earliest date was 10/27
Please do not panic! I am stuck in Harvey, it's possible I don't have the best connection.
Will call admissions office tomorrow to double check and will post again.

Stay safe everyone. Xx

II today
Earliest date was 10/27
Please do not panic! I am stuck in Harvey, it's possible I don't have the best connection.

Stay safe everyone. Xx
This might be true. I scheduled last week and the earliest was 10/13

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

II today
Earliest date was 10/27

Stay safe everyone. Xx

Congratulations on your II and best of luck! Stay safe!

II today
Earliest date was 10/27

Stay safe everyone. Xx

+1... See you on 10/27!

+1... See you on 10/27!

+2

II Today. Options were 10/27 and a few mondays and fridays in November!!

Spent this week dealing with the aftermath of harvey so this has been GREAT news!

+2

II Today. Options were 10/27 and a few mondays and fridays in November!!

Spent this week dealing with the aftermath of harvey so this has been GREAT news!

Congrats! What part of the storm path were you in?

Those of you who got IIs, when did your apps transmit if you don't mind me asking?