2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it too late to submit a secondary here?

ORM male 512 4.0

You have great stats so I think you'll be fine if you submit soon

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where to find the list of faculty for the school? I'm writing my thank note and can't find the name of my interviewer.

II here! All the dates until December all filled up though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They only had like Dec 4th and like Dec 10th (not sure about this one).

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, their II dates are so much later than the other schools I've recently scheduled interviews for! Can anyone who's interviewed here say approximately how many interviewees they have in a day?

Does anyone know where to find the list of faculty for the school? I'm writing my thank note and can't find the name of my interviewer.
I feel you, one of my interviewers wasn't even a faculty member and I'm finding it impossible to get his contact info. You could definitely contact Admissions and get your interviewer's name.
Wow, their II dates are so much later than the other schools I've recently scheduled interviews for! Can anyone who's interviewed here say approximately how many interviewees they have in a day?

My interview had 15 of us, and I really wouldn't expect much more than that.

Their site says they interview into January, so I bet there are more than two dates left.

Bummer. Only two dates left?:(
I think we all only got 2 possible dates to choose from. At least I did and that was for early October dates. I think they just schedule 2 dates at a time until they fill up. Don't lose hope.

People read into the interview dates too much. When I got my II over a month ago, I was given only early November dates and people were freaking out then, but since then they've given a bunch of people September and October dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does their "secondary selection" work? Some people are saying that they don't screen and some people say they do a holistic review before sending secondaries. It does state that they do screen for secondaries. hmm? Anyone have input?

How does their "secondary selection" work? Some people are saying that they don't screen and some people say they do a holistic review before sending secondaries. It does state that they do screen for secondaries. hmm? Anyone have input?
They definitely review the applications in some way for secondary selection. Last year I applied and heard nothing until rejection, and this year I got a secondary invite fairly quickly after transmission. So they definitely do review it. Idk if it's holistic or just certain factors though... Hope that helped!

They definitely review the applications in some way for secondary selection. Last year I applied and heard nothing until rejection, and this year I got a secondary invite fairly quickly after transmission. So they definitely do review it. Idk if it's holistic or just certain factors though... Hope that helped!
Exact same thing happened to me. Not sure what it is, but they definitely review some aspects before sending secondaries.

I'd be willing to pick up anyone from either airport for the 10/7 interview date. I'm flying into McAllen late on the 5th and renting a car. I fly out on the morning of the 8th. Decided to come a day early to visit family. It was actually only $380 for my flight into McAllen (AA) so I guess I just got it on a good day. I'm staying in McAllen but could also pick people up OMW to the interview.
Is this offer still open? My life just so happens to be falling apart atm.

Got an email last week about secondaries literally one day after my TMDSAS went through, so idk how much they really look into it.

Not sure I have any chance getting into this school as a white guy who speaks little spanish, but hey, might as well try.

Are they making the interviewees dance again this year?

II just now! I'm from SoCal do I actually have a shot?

II just now! I'm from SoCal do I actually have a shot?

Last year they interviewed 29 OOS students, and 5 matriculated. I'm guessing they accept anywhere from 5-10 students, out of those 29.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm definitely gonna go and try my best. Still can't believe a Texas school showed me some love!

Hey loves. Just wanted to share some info that was put out during our very long (and awesome) interview day:

- They have made 16 selections so far for the entering class. I assume the rest have been waitlisted. But the waitlist moves quickly, so they say. If you call, they can't tell you anything until after pre-match. And even then, they may just give you a generic answer.
- The next committee meeting will be 10/12. So if you're OOS you MAY hear back as early as next week. Or not.
- They are accepting 50 in state and 5 OOS students this year. They plan to interview around ~450 of the 4500+ applicants (til January).
- There will be scholarships, which may be up to 50% for all students. Scholarships are not merit-based. I.e. if they have $500,000, then divide that by ~50 and that's how much each person gets in scholarship. Pretty sweet.
- OOS students in the past have gotten scholarships to reduce their tuition down to IS rate. They anticipate the same for this class.
- Clerkships are held in either Harlingen (Valley Baptist or the VA) or McAllen (DHR, which you will tour while there)

Ummmm I think that's the important stuff. One thing I noticed: a lot of interviewees were 2nd or 3rd time applicants, so it seems they don't look down on that. Students I talked to seemed to think that MOST of the current students are non-trad (at least 1-2 years since graduation). Everyone there is super nice. But since they're such a small, family-like program, they want to make sure students that matriculate are comfortable in that close-knit, non-competitive environment. Oh, and ASK QUESTIONS. They love questions. Buena suerte!! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hey loves. Just wanted to share some info that was put out during our very long (and awesome) interview day:

- They have made 16 selections so far for the entering class. I assume the rest have been waitlisted. But the waitlist moves quickly, so they say. If you call, they can't tell you anything until after pre-match. And even then, they may just give you a generic answer.
- The next committee meeting will be 10/12. So if you're OOS you MAY hear back as early as next week. Or not.
- They are accepting 50 in state and 5 OOS students this year. They plan to interview around ~450 of the 4500+ applicants (til January).
- There will be scholarships, which may be up to 50% for all students. Scholarships are not merit-based. I.e. if they have $500,000, then divide that by ~50 and that's how much each person gets in scholarship. Pretty sweet.
- OOS students in the past have gotten scholarships to reduce their tuition down to IS rate. They anticipate the same for this class.
- Clerkships are held in either Harlingen (Valley Baptist or the VA) or McAllen (DHR, which you will tour while there)

Ummmm I think that's the important stuff. One thing I noticed: a lot of interviewees were 2nd or 3rd time applicants, so it seems they don't look down on that. Students I talked to seemed to think that MOST of the current students are non-trad (at least 1-2 years since graduation). Everyone there is super nice. But since they're such a small, family-like program, they want to make sure students that matriculate are comfortable in that close-knit, non-competitive environment. Oh, and ASK QUESTIONS. They love questions. Buena suerte!! :)

Last year they interviewed ~250. Do you think the number increases to 450 this year? Also, do know how many acceptances they hand out? 100?

Last year they interviewed ~250. Do you think the number increases to 450 this year? Also, do know how many acceptances they hand out? 100?
Yes, the number increased this year. They don't know how many acceptances because that's based on the number of people that accept or decline after the initial 55 invitations...

I don't know whether you just made me feel better or infinitely more nervous.
Breathe in, breathe out. 5 more weeks til some possible answers... If you really feel like you belong here, it'll happen. That's what I keep telling myself anyway. ;)

I don't know whether you just made me feel better or infinitely more nervous.

I agree with you lol. They interview into Jan, so there's still a chance for and II

Congrats, but if that is your real name, I would ask one of the SDN mods to see if you can change it to something more anonymous. Schools' Admissions have been known to frequent SDN.

Congrats, but if that is your real name, I would ask one of the SDN mods to see if you can change it to something more anonymous. Schools' Admissions have been known to frequent SDN.
THANKS!!! I didn't even realize that. It's not my real name anymore (maiden name), but still... a little anonymity would be nice. For some reason my account doesn't have the username that I originally selected. I will check up on that.

For anyone that is curious, I just submitted my secondary application this morning (I know-no badgering about just submitting it plz lol) and the confirmation email said that their interview season ends at the beginning of January. Good luck to everyone still waiting for an interview!

Out of curiosity, on interview day did they mention if they're going to ever increase the class size in the upcoming years? (Although I do love the idea of a small, close knit class)

Out of curiosity, on interview day did they mention if they're going to ever increase the class size in the upcoming years? (Although I do love the idea of a small, close knit class)
I think they are going to keep it this size at least until the first cohort goes through the entire 4 years and the school gains full accreditation. Class size incoming year 1 was 55, year 2 50, and by reports above, year 3 will be 55.

Has UTRGV popped up on anyone's rank list? I interviewed on their first day and still nothing