2017-2018 Long School of Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's only TMDSAS for me. Sorry to disappoint.:)
What are you gonna do with your extra 12-15 mcat points? Perhaps there's a donation process?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you not apply Baylor?

No I didn't. Their website explicitly says no online prereqs. I had to take two because of my military schedule. I emailed them about an exception to policy and they ignored my email. Whether they strictly enforce that policy, I do not know. But I wasn't going to spend my time filling out the AMCAS app for a single school only to find out I was ineligible.

Reactions: 3 users
No I didn't. Their website explicitly says no online prereqs. I had to take two because of my military schedule. I emailed them about an exception to policy and they ignored my email. Whether they strictly enforce that policy, I do not know. But I wasn't going to spend my time filling out the AMCAS app for a single school only to find out I was ineligible.
Dang man, that's why I dislike a bunch of the red tape and requirements around admissions. They should definitely put more emphasis on your background in decisions!

Reactions: 1 user
Dang man, that's why I dislike a bunch of the red tape and requirements around admissions. They should definitely put more emphasis on your background in decisions!

I agree but I'm not too upset. There are enough great schools in TX and none of them appear to have any problem with my background except Baylor.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree but I'm not too upset. There are enough great schools in TX and none of them appear to have any problem with my background except Baylor.
We have quite a few former lawyers at UTHSA!

JAMP program kids interviewed today. Hope you guys liked the school :) we MS1's were right next door to you guys in the ALT-C.

Anyone here interviewing on 8/18? If you have an interest in splitting a hotel room send me a private message!

Does anyone know when we hear back about student housing if interviewing here? Interview's getting close and still silence about that

To my other $$$-conscious interviewees:
I think someone mentioned this in last year's thread so I was looking out for it. Just made a reservation at the La Quinta in the medical district and the "special rate" that you get when you tell them you're a UT Health applicant is actually $20+ more per night (for 2 double beds) than their online/ 20% off rate... which added up since I'm coming early for touristing! The receptionist matched the online price when I brought it up. So make sure to check online rates so ya don't get gypped!

Don't forget to take advantage of student housing as well!

Does anyone know when we hear back about student housing if interviewing here? Interview's getting close and still silence about that
Unfortunately, it can be up to a few days beforehand before you'll hear anything about it. The student is supposed to contact you directly. If they haven't, I'd send a follow up email

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, it can be up to a few days beforehand before you'll hear anything about it. The student is supposed to contact you directly. If they haven't, I'd send a follow up email
Mine just did. Thanks

Don't forget to take advantage of student housing as well!
Thanks for the advice! I'm traveling with a family member though, otherwise that would be ideal!

Still nothing from Long med/McGovern ಠ_ಠ

Best of luck to you guys on interview day tomorrow! All the MS1's are going to be in the area between Starbucks and we'll all be in scrubs/white coats. Feel free to ask us questions if you see us standing around!

@TexasSurgeon, can you please speak about what you like about UTHSCSA, and why you picked this school?

When I got the II, I was totally shocked. I knew nothing about this place and frankly didn't think too much of it since San Antonio is a smaller city compared to the big Houston and Dallas ones and Weird Austin. When I came here, I was totally blown away. The facilities here are state of the art- everything we do is in teams. The technology used to teach anatomy is very helpful. I also realized that from the student vibe, everyone fosters collaboration. We are involved in so many groups from the moment you start classes. We have a group for anatomy, a group for team based learning, a group for Friday case synthesis, a group for mentorship (which is made up of MS2s, MS3s, MS4s, a resident, and an attending that mentor us). These groups foster collaboration from day 1. My classmates and I also constantly share study materials thought FB groups and google drives. You don't get this feeling at a lot of other Texas schools. This was the biggest point for me. There's a reason we're considered the happiest medical school in Texas and it's because of this. I have so many new groupmes and FB groups going on right now but everyone helps each other. So from all the schools I spent time at, this one sort of clicked best with me and I'm from Houston so it's not too far of a drive away.

Also, UTHSA is located kind of in the central Texas region so it's not too far of a drive from your hometown if you live in Houston, Dallas, Austin, or even El Paso

The other thing is that the San Antonio Medical Center contains only 1 school: UTHSA, and none other. You're not competing with other schools for rotations or feeling like you have another school next door with kids down your throat. Everything you do with networking is solely geared with UTHSA and University Hospital is nationally ranked. We get all kinds of pathology from a 100 mile radius of South Texas. People who say that cases here aren't as intense as Houston or Dallas are flat out wrong. It's just that Houston and Dallas have bigger centers so the volume is higher. That doesn't mean you won't get your fair share of cases. Everyone is willing to help you from your classmates to the Dean of Admissions, who even knows my family now through meetings.

It's been only 2 weeks of classes and it's so hectic. I don't know how I'm going to manage all this material. But in attending talks by an embryologist last Monday and a case study yesterday by a former anatomy professor here at UTHSA, I'm always reminded of the bigger picture that despite all the power points we have to get through, medicine is a fundamentally humanistic profession. It's just hard to see that during studying. We have a 20 month curriculum that emphasizes rotational learning through clinical skills as well as studying skills. I will say that the quizzes and pace of information can get hectic and I wish the curriculum would give us more time off in the afternoons to study on our own but that's the only "negative" I can think of.

Oh and we had a better residency matching rate this 2016 year than BCM, so take that!

Reactions: 4 users
When I got the II, I was totally shocked. I knew nothing about this place and frankly didn't think too much of it since San Antonio is a smaller city compared to the big Houston and Dallas ones and Weird Austin. When I came here, I was totally blown away. The facilities here are state of the art- everything we do is in teams. The technology used to teach anatomy is very helpful. I also realized that from the student vibe, everyone fosters collaboration. We are involved in so many groups from the moment you start classes. We have a group for anatomy, a group for team based learning, a group for Friday case synthesis, a group for mentorship (which is made up of MS2s, MS3s, MS4s, a resident, and an attending that mentor us). These groups foster collaboration from day 1. My classmates and I also constantly share study materials thought FB groups and google drives. You don't get this feeling at a lot of other Texas schools. This was the biggest point for me. There's a reason we're considered the happiest medical school in Texas and it's because of this. I have so many new groupmes and FB groups going on right now but everyone helps each other. So from all the schools I spent time at, this one sort of clicked best with me and I'm from Houston so it's not too far of a drive away.

Also, UTHSA is located kind of in the central Texas region so it's not too far of a drive from your hometown if you live in Houston, Dallas, Austin, or even El Paso

The other thing is that the San Antonio Medical Center contains only 1 school: UTHSA, and none other. You're not competing with other schools for rotations or feeling like you have another school next door with kids down your throat. Everything you do with networking is solely geared with UTHSA and University Hospital is nationally ranked. We get all kinds of pathology from a 100 mile radius of South Texas. People who say that cases here aren't as intense as Houston or Dallas are flat out wrong. It's just that Houston and Dallas have bigger centers so the volume is higher. That doesn't mean you won't get your fair share of cases. Everyone is willing to help you from your classmates to the Dean of Admissions, who even knows my family now through meetings.

It's been only 2 weeks of classes and it's so hectic. I don't know how I'm going to manage all this material. But in attending talks by an embryologist last Monday and a case study yesterday by a former anatomy professor here at UTHSA, I'm always reminded of the bigger picture that despite all the power points we have to get through, medicine is a fundamentally humanistic profession. It's just hard to see that during studying. We have a 20 month curriculum that emphasizes rotational learning through clinical skills as well as studying skills. I will say that the quizzes and pace of information can get hectic and I wish the curriculum would give us more time off in the afternoons to study on our own but that's the only "negative" I can think of.

Oh and we had a better residency matching rate this 2016 year than BCM, so take that!
Thanks for the input! I have my first interview here next Friday, and you just got me pretty excited about it.

Guess I should start preparing now...

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you so much! I know nothing about San Antonio either, so your insight was incredibly helpful. What kind of clinical opportunities (either as part of the curriculum or medical student run clinics) are available for MS1 and MS2 students?

Also, all the schools I have interviewed at so far seem to say that their students are collaborative. How do you suggest trying to getting a better sense of their level of collaboration?

Thanks for the input! I have my first interview here next Friday, and you just got me pretty excited about it.

Same!! Haha see you there! I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that my first interview is at a school I may really like...

This week is a lot more relaxing for us MS1s since we'll finally have some downtime to study things. If you see us on Friday in the starbucks area feel free to ask us questions.

Thank you so much! I know nothing about San Antonio either, so your insight was incredibly helpful. What kind of clinical opportunities (either as part of the curriculum or medical student run clinics) are available for MS1 and MS2 students?

Also, all the schools I have interviewed at so far seem to say that their students are collaborative. How do you suggest trying to getting a better sense of their level of collaboration?

Ask them what collaboration means to them. Are there mentoring groups that meet? How do classes study? Are there google drives for classes to post info? Are students posting information on groups? Do people share study materials? You need to absolutely get a feel for the vibe of the students.

Over here at UTHSA we have:
  1. Veritas Peer Advising groups
  2. Google drives made by upperclassmen for us
  3. Our own google drive made by us
  4. Groupmes all over the place
  5. Groups for every major activity
  6. individual quizzes followed by team quizzes
  7. Constant collaboration and note sharing
  8. Willingness of faculty to spend time with students in dissections and teaching
I'm not saying other schools don't have this but you just have to see if the places you interview at also have this.

This week is a lot more relaxing for us MS1s since we'll finally have some downtime to study things. If you see us on Friday in the starbucks area feel free to ask us questions.

Ask them what collaboration means to them. Are there mentoring groups that meet? How do classes study? Are there google drives for classes to post info? Are students posting information on groups? Do people share study materials? You need to absolutely get a feel for the vibe of the students.

Over here at UTHSA we have:
  1. Veritas Peer Advising groups
  2. Google drives made by upperclassmen for us
  3. Our own google drive made by us
  4. Groupmes all over the place
  5. Groups for every major activity
  6. individual quizzes followed by team quizzes
  7. Constant collaboration and note sharing
  8. Willingness of faculty to spend time with students in dissections and teaching
I'm not saying other schools don't have this but you just have to see if the places you interview at also have this.
Plus everyone should know that you're still being internally ranked by the school - for residency purposes - wherever you go... the competitiveness of the school depends on the people who go there, not the grading system

For those who interviewed last Friday or before, what was the interview like?

Lurker checking in. II received yesterday!
LizzyM ~69, IS, non-URM, app transmitted 5/23, MCAT released 7/18.

Best of luck to everyone interviewing this Friday!
JAMP interviews here are officially over as of this past Tuesday.

I think only Jamp kids have interviewed so tomorrow is the first set of regulars
They have had one interview day so far outside of JAMP. My friend interviewed there on the 11th.

Last Friday (August 11) was when there was an "actual" interview day. I think there might have been one before that as well but I can't remember.

Last Friday (August 11) was when there was an "actual" interview day. I think there might have been one before that as well but I can't remember.
Can confirm - my friend interviewed last Friday and is not in JAMP.

Is anyone else still missing IIs from here and McGovern despite getting them from multiple other TMDSAS schools?

Is anyone else still missing IIs from here and McGovern despite getting them from multiple other TMDSAS schools?
I'm not missing from here but I'm missing from McGovern despite getting invites from UTSW and Baylor.

If you think about it, it would be hard for one person to fit the profile of all the Texas schools. Nonetheless, there are a few high stats individuals each year who may get invited to them all.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm missing ii from only UTSW at this point

I'm curious to know what you guys as applicants think of this place. What are your thoughts on it from the knowledge you can gather so far?

I really love the school! I saw Dr. Kellaway's interview on YouTube and she is so nice and I watch America's YouTube channel (ever single video) so I feel like I know a lot about your school and how you guys work. I'm in love with UTSA. Also, I visited utsa quite often growing up because I was a science fair nerd and that's where state science fair competitions were held

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: