2017-2018 Long School of Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does this school even have a social?

There is a student-run social the evening before from 6:30-8:30 with first and second year students.

Members don't see this ad.

I really love the school! I saw Dr. Kelkaway's interview on YouTube and she is so nice and I watch America's YouTube channel (ever single video) so I feel like I know a lot about your school and how you guys work. I'm in love with UTSA. Also, I visited utsa quite often growing up because I was a science fair nerd and that's where state science fair competitions were held

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting! Also just fyi, UTSA and UTHSA aren't affiliated with each other- one is the undergrad campus and the other is the med school so just don't get it mixed up if you interview here since it annoys some people

Interesting! Also just fyi, UTSA and UTHSA aren't affiliated with each other- one is the undergrad campus and the other is the med school so just don't get it mixed up if you interview here since it annoys some people
Also
The interview day at Long is way above expectations. They feed you well, like real food and everyone here is super nice and chill. Dr. K puts a lot of effort into this and everyone I talked to left the campus with better view of the school. Plus, they ended with ice cream!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also
The interview day at Long is way above expectations. They feed you well, like real food and everyone here is super nice and chill. Dr. K puts a lot of effort into this and everyone I talked to left the campus with better view of the school. Plus, they ended with ice cream!
Was your interview today?

Did any of you interviewees today get to talk to MS1s? How'd you find us?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol IMO it's very general but whatevs. He's such a nice guy! Just because you have a lot of interviews...stay kind!

Lol. Stay kind? Not sure if joking or serious. But I've been pretty 'kind' I think. And it's not really general. Two people on here already know who I am in person (tbh it's probably way more) cos you run into a lot of the same folks on the interview trail.

But yeah. Id be nice from here on

Reactions: 1 user
Lol. Stay kind? Not sure if joking or serious. But I've been pretty 'kind' I think. And it's not really general. Two people on here already know who I am in person (tbh it's probably way more) cos you run into a lot of the same folks on the interview trail.

Yeah I was just kidding. I understand.

Last edited:

Lul

Had my interview here today, and wow! I have to be honest this school wasn't really on my radar as somewhere I could see myself, but that definitely changed today.

The students get along extremely well -- and there is surprisingly a lot of camaraderie within and between each class. I think this is because they have a lot of programs to help students get advice from the upperclassmen/women. The students also made a lot of effort to say hi and talk to the interviewees, even if they weren't involved with interview day whatsoever. Overall, they all seemed VERY laid back and happy. Despite classes being graded, there didn't seem to be any cut-throat competition like you might expect.

The campus (or at least the parts they showed us) was also very impressive. A lot has been renovated there recently, so it has a very modern and campus-like feel to it.

One of the most shocking things to me was how much time this school gives you off for dedicated STEP1 study -- 4 months!! Also up to 5 or 6 free CBSE exams + uWorld access. This is definitely an attractive feature of the curriculum. Most students don't use the entire 4 months for step. If you take step in the first 1-2 months, you have the option to take electives, start rotations early, or do whatever.

EDIT: Dr. Kellaway promises the best lunch on the texas interview trail. This was my first interview, so I can't confirm whether the promise was delivered. Nonetheless, it was a great meal! Breakfast and post-interview snacks were also provided and fantastic.

Reactions: 8 users
WOW! Thanks for the detailed review! This makes me even more excited to hopefully get an II from here. That 4 months of board prep time is a godsend. I can't believe they give you that! It's amazing! Very attractive feature.

Reactions: 1 users
How was the social? Is it a pretty chill thing where we can wear shorts/collared t-shirt? Not familiar with how formal the restaurant is

Also, 2x 30 min interviews where they can see only essays right?

How was the social? Is it a pretty chill thing where we can wear shorts/collared t-shirt? Not familiar with how formal the restaurant is

Pre-Interview social was great! The medical students were really open with us, and encouraged us to bombard them with any questions we wanted. Great conversations with both the med students and fellow interviewees. I definitely recommend attending, as it will help you get some friends to hang out with in the morning when you are inevitably nervous.

No need to worry about dress for the social. Very casual restaurant.

I think they were open file. Dr. Kellaway stated "the interviewers have EVERYTHING."

EDIT: Thinking back, they were definitely open file. Some interviewees said their interviewer was going through their EC's during the interview.

Yeah I was just kidding. I understand.

It's always nice talking to applicants once you're out of the app cycle and in med school. It's crazy to think that I was in your shoes just a year ago. That being said, there's always a jackass on every SDN thread, so I've gotten used to it lololol

Your interview will be open file. When I interviewed, an MS4 had my file pulled up on his computer

Wow congrats!

Thanks! It's my only II so far, so super grateful for the opportunity. From the looks of it, seems like it's going to be a pretty good experience!!

It is revealing info
Ladies and gents, it isn't playing by the rules of SDN to try to figure out who someone is by asking too many personal questions. Anonymity gives everyone the freedom to be honest on here with their requests for help. @BlackOrthoSurg is right, chill with the prodding questions.

Ladies and gents, it isn't playing by the rules of SDN to try to figure out who someone is by asking too many personal questions. Anonymity gives everyone the freedom to be honest on here with their requests for help. @BlackOrthoSurg is right, chill with the prodding questions.

I'm good with it tho. Not too stressed about anon and want to meet most of y'all. So if you think you see me/know me just hi

MS1's join the interviewees on Friday mornings during breakfast to just talk to the applicants about how they're doing, answer any questions, explain the school, and calm them down and let them meet people who were just recently in their situation. There's about 70-80 interviewees every Friday. So no, asking someone on here if their II was today (which people have revealed on SDN w/o me asking to begin with) and their thoughts on the MS1s is not "revealing information". If you think it's revealing bc of potential URM status, there's URMs at every interview as well. Don't really feel like fighting on here.

Last edited:
anyone that interviewed...was the interview laid back? high stress? conversational? any tips?

anyone that interviewed...was the interview laid back? high stress? conversational? any tips?

They were really just conversations (e.g. "Tell me about x, y, z experience.") and it flowed from there. I will say that a few other interviewees did get "tougher" interviewers who were less eager to talk. Overall, though, very laid back, conversational interviews across the board.

They were really just conversations (e.g. "Tell me about x, y, z experience.") and it flowed from there. I will say that a few other interviewees did get "tougher" interviewers who were less eager to talk. Overall, though, very laid back, conversational interviews across the board.

I definitely got a tougher interview. Lots of ethical questions for me.

Your interview will be open file. When I interviewed, an MS4 had my file pulled up on his computer

So the interviews are done by a faculty member and an MS4? Would you say that the interviewing style varies between these two people?

So the interviews are done by a faculty member and an MS4? Would you say that the interviewing style varies between these two people?
Yes, everyone has 1 faculty member and 1 MS4! Mine were both great. Dr. Kellaway told us that they don't like to ask curveball questions and really just want to get to know us! I think tough interview questions here are rare.

The MS4 who interviewed me had my application on her computer and would scroll through it then ask me about activities she saw on there. She also led the interview a little off-topic/ just casual conversation not related to my app at all, so that may have been different from how faculty would do it haha. Also, everyone gets asked an ethical question, and I think it's always the MS4 who asks them!

My faculty member had written out all my activities on a blank piece of paper before I came in, and she made notes/ drew lines between them while we talked to help herself understand what all I'd done. Not in a high-pressure type of way, but in a way that showed that she really wanted to understand me and the things I've been involved in!

Last edited:
Dose the MD/PhD program send verification that they received your application? I know MD program does. I added the school on 8/1 but have not heard anything from the school.

There's definitely an MS4 on an interview, and your other person will be either an MD or a PhD in faculty, or someone in higher administration (not 100% sure), or even an MD/PhD

They've cancelled the interviews for tomorrow.

They've cancelled the interviews for tomorrow.

Oh no! Does this mean that that's one less interview date available for other applicants? Or will they have an extra interview date in January to make up for this? :(

Oh no! Does this mean that that's one less interview date available for other applicants? Or will they have an extra interview date in January to make up for this? :(

Haha chill. They'll set a new date.

Haha chill. They'll set a new date.

Hopefully this hurricane doesn't dwindle chances for an interview invite even more lol. It's nice they are rescheduling for everyone supposed to interview tomorrow. I think there's a med school that hasn't cancelled their interview date yet. It's the safest thing to do. Everyone stay safe from Harvey!

Last edited:

They called and said we would be able to reschedule for a date in September and that there were a lot of spots still open. They also said they wouldn't send out any more IIs until they've made sure they have enough spots for us in September. We just need to look out for our emails where they'll send info about rescheduling.

Hopefully this hurricane doesn't dwindle my chances for an interview invite even more lol. It's nice they are rescheduling for everyone supposed to interview tomorrow. I think there's a med school that hasn't cancelled their interview date yet.

UTMB also cancelled their interviews for tomorrow I've heard

They called and said we would be able to reschedule for a date in September and that there were a lot of spots still open. They also said they wouldn't send out any more IIs until they've made sure they have enough spots for us in September. We just need to look out for our emails where they'll send info about rescheduling.

Ohhhh so this does mean that it reduces the chances of those who haven't heard back yet. :(

Ohhhh so this does mean that it reduces the chances of those who haven't heard back yet. :(

Yeah, so I just got the email to choose from one of the September dates. It was around 40 people that have to reschedule so I hope this doesn't really affect the other applicants. But I'm sure they'll think of something to not reduce the chances for everyone else

Best of luck dude

Yeah, so I just got the email to choose from one of the September dates. It was around 40 people that have to reschedule so I hope this doesn't really affect the other applicants. But I'm sure they'll think of something to not reduce the chances for everyone else

Best of luck dude

Thank you! This gives me hope. This was the safest and best decision for the school to make. Maybe they will squeeze in like 5 more II for the upcoming dates in order to make up for the lost spots by not having an interview day tomorrow. I'm surprised they still have a lot of september open!

Thank you! This gives me hope. This was the safest and best decision for the school to make.

Yeah, I was literally about to leave the house when they called lol

Though I already made a 5 hour drive down to Houston yesterday to be with my family the night before. Guess I'm chillin this weekend

II recieved! Dates available still were the rest of the fridays in September starting from 9/8. No dates offered in October

II recieved! Dates available still were the rest of the fridays in September starting from 9/8. No dates offered in October

Congratulations on your II! Best of luck. Thanks for the info

Got an II about an hour ago! They offered the four fridays in September. LizzyM ~71 IS.