2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

The prompt should be the same as previous years:

1. If you think that one or more of the following interests apply to you, check the appropriate box(es) and list specific experiences (academic, co-curricular, employment, personal, etc.) related to and supportive of this interest in the text box provided below. Do not use a paragraph format; list in bulleted format.

Interested in establishing a medical practice in an underserved area
Interested in a career in research
Interested in a career in teaching
Interested in a career in primary care medicine

2. In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

@WedgeDawg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Friendly almost-MS2 checking in. Hit me up with any questions :)

Hi, thanks for offering to answer questions! For the first question, if I chose research as one of my interests, do you know if it's appropriate to list research experience that is not medical in nature (from before I decided on pre-med)?

Also, do you know if the adcom is looking for us to simply list the experiences (and perhaps a description) or also add in a bullet about how the experience led to our interest? For the research example, I feel like listing research experiences under that interest is pretty self-explanatory as to how they relate?

Hi, thanks for offering to answer questions! For the first question, if I chose research as one of my interests, do you know if it's appropriate to list research experience that is not medical in nature (from before I decided on pre-med)?

Also, do you know if the adcom is looking for us to simply list the experiences (and perhaps a description) or also add in a bullet about how the experience led to our interest? For the research example, I feel like listing research experiences under that interest is pretty self-explanatory as to how they relate?

I would definitely list non-medical research.

I don't think you'll find a definitive answer to your second question. On the one hand, they stress bullet pointing which seems to indicate a preference for brevity. On the other hand, you get 3500 characters, which is pretty excessive for bullet pointing.

I personally chose to stick with pretty concise bullet points because I felt the essay gave me a good opportunity to expand on some of those experiences. I can't say that's the right approach though, it's just what I opted for.

Reactions: 1 users

Yes it's absolutely appropriate to list non-medical research. It shows you have broad interests.
For your second question, I think keep it short, and if any of them need an extra little explanation, add that at the end of the bullet point. Definitely no need to say "research applies to the research category," but if you feel like anything needs an extra little description of what you learned, I added those on my secondary and it turned out fine (in one very short sentence, no long drawn-out sentences in this question).

I'm almost done with my secondary, just a quick question for you guys:
For the first part, if I'm CURRENTLY working with a primary care doctor, should I write it down as past tense or present tense? It's a trip abroad in an underserved area, and I finish here in mid-July.

I'm almost done with my secondary, just a quick question for you guys:
For the first part, if I'm CURRENTLY working with a primary care doctor, should I write it down as past tense or present tense? It's a trip abroad in an underserved area, and I finish here in mid-July.
Present tense!

Thanks! Also, I'm not sure if you'll know this, but do you know if classes like "Biostatistics" or "Statistics and research design" (offered by my psychology department) will count towards the statistics requirement?
There's a statistics requirement? I don't remember there being one when I applied. If there was, I only took a business statistics class and it apparently sufficed. You can just contact admissions and ask though, to be safe with your specific class!

There's a statistics requirement? I don't remember there being one when I applied. If there was, I only took a business statistics class and it apparently sufficed. You can just contact admissions and ask though, to be safe with your specific class!
Yeah I emailed them, thanks!

I think it's one semester of either stats or calculus.

Thanks! Also, I'm not sure if you'll know this, but do you know if classes like "Biostatistics" or "Statistics and research design" (offered by my psychology department) will count towards the statistics requirement?

According to the UTSW page, "The statistics course must be math based and preferably taught in the math department." Therefore I don't think psych stats counts. Biostats maybe depending on how math-heavy it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's one semester of either stats or calculus.

According to the UTSW page, "The statistics course must be math based and preferably taught in the math department." Therefore I don't think psych stats counts. Biostats maybe depending on how math-heavy it is.

There is a page from TMDSAS that shows what statistics classes have been approved for what undergrad schools. E.g my school's biostats has been approved so there is no need to ask the individual texas med school if the course is valid

Reactions: 2 users
For the prereq coursework, could I include my SMP courses or does it have to be undergraduate courses? I didn't so well during undergrad hence the SMP.

Did anyone else receive an e-mail stating "The application process has begun" today? Or is this e-mail dependent on when we submit our secondary?

Did anyone else receive an e-mail stating "The application process has begun" today? Or is this e-mail dependent on when we submit our secondary?

I got it today, and I'm pretty sure that's only an indication that they received your TMDSAS primary. There's a separate email for receipt of secondary.

Got it, I was just wondering since I also submitted my secondary this morning. I guess it was just a coincidence!

I got it today, and I'm pretty sure that's only an indication that they received your TMDSAS primary. There's a separate email for receipt of secondary.

Did you receive this separate email acknowledging receipt of your secondary? I don't remember getting it.

Did you receive this separate email acknowledging receipt of your secondary? I don't remember getting it.

I submitted my secondary a while back, after I submitted my primary but before it was verified. I got an email confirming receipt within 24 hours. Maybe check your spam? It's a pretty inconspicuous email with no subject from the sender Admissions I think.

EDIT: Just checked, and the subject is this: Submission Confirmation - UT Southwestern Medical School Secondary Application

I submitted my secondary a while back, after I submitted my primary but before it was verified. I got an email confirming receipt within 24 hours. Maybe check your spam? It's a pretty inconspicuous email with no subject from the sender Admissions I think.

EDIT: Just checked, and the subject is this: Submission Confirmation - UT Southwestern Medical School Secondary Application

Thanks. I went back and checked and I got it too shortly after submitting. I was worried for a minute there.

For the secondary question, if we are interested in serving underserved communities, but not in opening up a private practice (Interested in establishing a medical practice in an underserved area), do we still check this? Or is this pretty specific to opening up a practice and rather address interest in serving underserved communities in the 3500 essay?

For the secondary question, if we are interested in serving underserved communities, but not in opening up a private practice (Interested in establishing a medical practice in an underserved area), do we still check this? Or is this pretty specific to opening up a practice and rather address interest in serving underserved communities in the 3500 essay?

pretty sure it's opening a practice in an area since that's what it says

i'm pretty sure almost every applicant would be interested in serving underserved communities since that's so broad

Because the prompt asks about the setting you envision conducting your medical career, I took this to mean whether clinic, hospital, or both. It doesn't specify, so I don't think interest in opening a private practice or not matters. Just as long as you can justify your reasoning for your decision.

There are plenty of underserved areas within Dallas city limits, so you wouldn't need to open your own practice to serve the underserved. Heck, Parkland serves the underserved. If you have things to back up that you want to serve the underserved, then I'd say checking that box is fine.

Would volunteering at a pediatric hospital count for an interest in primary care? It was an inpatient floor and I didn't really help out with any of the pediatricians working during my time volunteering. I mainly spent time hanging out with the kids when I was there.

Okay so like what is a normal amount of activities to put for each one for the first prompt? Say if I plan on clicking underserved area and primary care and put 3 activities down for each would that be considered not enough?

Okay so like what is a normal amount of activities to put for each one for the first prompt? Say if I plan on clicking underserved area and primary care and put 3 activities down for each would that be considered not enough?
That should be okay. You should do whatever you think is reasonable and you could address convincingly in an interview if it is asked about. Don't feel like you need to stretch it. Also remember you submitted a primary app which probably has all your activities that aren't mentioned in your UTSW secondary

I remember the struggle and nervousness with not knowing what they expect. Relax. (or try to relax)
Whatever you think fits into a category, just go ahead and put it!
However many or few things you want to put into a category, just do that, it will be OK.
I know how stressful it is, so hopefully this helps! As long as you're not lying and making things up to fill in the blanks, you will be just fine. Be honest.

Does anyone know from MSAR what the updated average MCAT/GPA are for the Fall 2017 entering class? The data on their site is for Fall 2016.

When was your application transmitted? Did you have all your LOR, transcripts and secondary completed before they sent it?
Transmitted 5/25, nah I still haven't submitted my secondary and an MCAT retake pending. They just said they received it and if everything is in place they're reviewing.

Does anyone know from MSAR what the updated average MCAT/GPA are for the Fall 2017 entering class? The data on their site is for Fall 2016.
It won't be updated for a while. Most likely very similar to last year anyway though.

What about AP Calculus and AP Statistics one can take in high school? Will that count?
UTSW accepts Calculus credits from online and community college classes, but considers AP Calculus credits on a case-by-case basis. Each school has different preferences and requirements so it is best to buy yourself a valuable subscription to the MSAR for the low low price of $28 and look at the prerequisites for each school.

UTSW accepts Calculus credits from online and community college classes, but considers AP Calculus credits on a case-by-case basis. Each school has different preferences and requirements so it is best to buy yourself a valuable subscription to the MSAR for the low low price of $28 and look at the prerequisites for each school.
Thanks

If you have Calc AP credit, and have a statistics class you actually took in person, would look much better! Especially biostats
I took AP Calculus ( 2 semesters) and AP Statistics (1 semester) at high school and they appear on my transcript.

Is it true that you have to submit your secondary within 2 weeks? If that is the case, isn't it better to submit your AMCAS with limited number of schools and then add other schools , as you get secondaries, to control the flow of secondary submission?

@prenses There is no hard rule about when to get a secondary application submitted. Write it and revise it until it is a great representation of you. Keep all your essays, labeled, in a file for your own records. You will probably find that common themes keep coming up and you will be able to use your older ones as a guide. BUT be very careful and don't copy/paste too much as you might accidentally use one school's mission or name in an essay you meant for another!
The advantage of doing them promptly is, of course, so they can see your complete file and decide on interviews.

@prenses There is no hard rule about when to get a secondary application submitted. Write it and revise it until it is a great representation of you. Keep all your essays, labeled, in a file for your own records. You will probably find that common themes keep coming up and you will be able to use your older ones as a guide. BUT be very careful and don't copy/paste too much as you might accidentally use one school's mission or name in an essay you meant for another!
The advantage of doing them promptly is, of course, so they can see your complete file and decide on interviews.
Thank you! So the applicant has to submit the secondary within 2 weeks is a myth then? i was trying to figure if I should select all my schools and then submit AMCAS, or submit the AMCAS with the schools on my top list, so I can control the flow of secondaries....Any ideas?

Last edited:
Thank you! So the applicant has to submit the secondary is a myth then? i was trying to figure if I should select all my schools and then submit AMCAS, or submit the AMCAS with the schools on my top list, so I can control the flow of secondaries....Any ideas?
Yes of course you have to submit secondaries. You don't seem to have a very good understanding of the application process so please spend some time reading through the AMCAS instruction materials.

Yes of course you have to submit secondaries. You don't seem to have a very good understanding of the application process so please spend some time reading through the AMCAS instruction materials.
Sorry. It is my mistyping. I meant "so the applicant has to submit within 2 weeks is a myth then.". I know the process...

Thank you! So the applicant has to submit the secondary within 2 weeks is a myth then? i was trying to figure if I should select all my schools and then submit AMCAS, or submit the AMCAS with the schools on my top list, so I can control the flow of secondaries....Any ideas?

Addendum to this:
While a majority of schools have, simply, a stated deadline for secondary submission (all Texas schools), I have encountered secondaries that "must be submitted within 1 month of receiving the secondary invitation [or your application will be withdrawn]".

Make sure you check on your AMCAS schools before selecting them all if you think time may be a factor!

EDIT: fixed a funny typo.

Addendum to this:
While a majority of schools have, simply, a stated deadline for secondary submission (all Texas schools), I have encountered secondaries that "must be submitted within 1 month of receiving the secondary invitation [or your application will be withdrawn]".

Make sure you check on your AMCAS schools before selecting them all if you think time may be a factor!

EDIT: fixed a funny typo.
I know this is not somewhat relevant, but CWRU says that "while the deadline for submission is X, it's preferable that you complete the secondary within 2 weeks of receipt"