2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Called them..said they couldn't verify my identity and the registrar had to vouch for me? Did you get the same ?

Nah they asked for my id #, then said he had to check on something, and came back asked my bday and SS# and then gave me a new password.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m writing a new holiday song “All I want for christmas is my UTSW email and financial aid package” :laugh:

Lol at least you have an acceptance!!! Some of us would do anything to be in your shoes! Enjoy this moment :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Nah they asked for my id #, then said he had to check on something, and came back asked my bday and SS# and then gave me a new password.

Yeah. This is not working..I'm just gonna enjoy my Christmas and think about this sometime in January. Thanks for the help tho

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on the Paris Exchange program? How popular is it, does it affect the graduation timeline (i.e. requires an extra year)/residency interviews, and does it require fluency in French?

Can any current students comment on the Paris Exchange program? How popular is it, does it affect the graduation timeline (i.e. requires an extra year)/residency interviews, and does it require fluency in French?
From what I've been told, it shouldn't affect graduation timeline because it's just some rotations you have to do. Fluency in French is required, because you will probably be interacting with French-speakers and French doctors.

From what I've been told, it shouldn't affect graduation timeline because it's just some rotations you have to do. Fluency in French is required, because you will probably be interacting with French-speakers and French doctors.
Sorry I'm going to rain on your parade. It DOES affect graduation timeline, which is the reason why I won't end up doing it despite being bilingual. If you do the program, it requires 6 months in Paris, and then 2 more 3 month rotations in underserved countries of your choice (those last 2 can sometimes be in the same country). People love doing it because it gives them amazing experiences they wouldn't otherwise have, but it doesn't replace any of your required UTSW clerkships so it adds a year to your graduation.
You do need to be pretty close to bilingual but not quite bilingual, there's a standardized language proficiency test you have to get a certain grade on.
There's about one or two students going every year, so it's not a very large program, probably due to a mix of lack of language proficiency + having to graduate a year late. Everyone I've met that's done it absolutely loved it, so it's worth the extra year in the right circumstances.

Is there anyone on here named Kyle? I'm trying to find someone I met on my interview day. Lolol

So with the loans, if we don’t use the laptop loan for the laptop can we still receive it as a refund? Or does that $2,500 get sent back if I already have my own laptop?

So with the loans, if we don’t use the laptop loan for the laptop can we still receive it as a refund? Or does that $2,500 get sent back if I already have my own laptop?

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure the loan can be used for whatever and is not restricted to just a laptop.

I'd contact financial aid about that to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't fully understand how financial aid works so I apologize in advance for my question. Why do you intend to take the $2500 as a loan if you don't plan on purchasing a laptop?

I think they will offer you an amount of loans and if you want to take less than that you can decline however much you don't want.

I don't fully understand how financial aid works so I apologize in advance for my question. Why do you intend to take the $2500 as a loan if you don't plan on purchasing a laptop?

They break down what the entirety of the loan is supposedly used for throughout the year. It’s how they calculate your cost of living and how much they can give you in loans. I’d like the $2500 so I can use it to live off of even if I decide not to get a laptop with it. I just wasn’t sure if it’s strictly for laptop use only. I’ll call financial aid soon and figure it out for sure.

I also have a financial aid question, for those who are OOS are we eligible for any scholarships beyond the In-State tuition thing? The scholarship they give us is already really generous so I’m just curious

For anyone with financial aid questions, I would suggest just contacting the financial aid office since anything here is just going to be speculation or second-hand.

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone here submitted letters of intent to UTSW? to whom should they be sent and are they receptive?

I noticed today that "Bed and Breakfast" and "Day with a doc" appeared in my portal under the MyMS0 link. Does anyone know what we're supposed to use them for?

has anyone here submitted letters of intent to UTSW? to whom should they be sent and are they receptive?
You can send it to the admissions office (the address is on the website somewhere), or email it to admissions itself. Idk if they're receptive, but I got a response along the lines "we don't really need this, because we're sure you'd consider going here if you got an acceptance" when I sent one last year. Still got in though, but I don't know if that was because of the letter of intent.

Will there be anymore interviews in January. Patiently :shrug:waiting

I noticed today that "Bed and Breakfast" and "Day with a doc" appeared in my portal under the MyMS0 link. Does anyone know what we're supposed to use them for?
I *think* that the bed and breakfast isn't for us but is instead for residency interviews or something like that

Will there be anymore interviews in January. Patiently :shrug:waiting
The last interview weekend is this Friday and Saturday, and the list of interviewees has already been sent out to us, so I think that's it for this cycle, sorry :(

To all of you that received scholarship offers, had you all completed the fafsa prior to receiving them?
I received a scholarship offer and had my fafsa completed back in October before I even interviewed. However, I’ve heard that the merit based scholarships can be awarded to you regardless of whether or not you’ve completed your fafsa.

So y'all can take this or leave it, but I spoke to a member of the admissions committee this past weekend and he said that they will be accepting more applicants on match day this year than compared to previous years.

Reactions: 8 users
So y'all can take this or leave it, but I spoke to a member of the admissions committee this past weekend and he said that they will be accepting more applicants on match day this year than compared to previous years.
You Sir, give me hope

(Or Ma'am it's 201678 and it's wrong to assume gender)

Soooooo what you're saying is there's a chance! Sweet

How did you speak to them?

Soooooo what you're saying is there's a chance! Sweet

upload_2018-1-16_0-37-58.png

So in my offer letter, it says that they can guarantee a "minimum of $1000 in additional scholarship support each year" did anyone else have the same language in their letter/know what this means? Will we be hearing back again about what the actual amount will be?

So in my offer letter, it says that they can guarantee a "minimum of $1000 in additional scholarship support each year" did anyone else have the same language in their letter/know what this means? Will we be hearing back again about what the actual amount will be?

Are you OOS? Might be in there so you are guaranteed in state tution

Are you OOS? Might be in there so you are guaranteed in state tution

I thought that might be it, but I called to ask about my residency status (I moved OOS for graduate school), and they have me in the system as a resident. I asked about the $1000 and they said they'll get back to me, but it's been a while. I'm going to follow up with them, but figured I'd see if anyone else got the same message.

I thought that might be it, but I called to ask about my residency status (I moved OOS for graduate school), and they have me in the system as a resident. I asked about the $1000 and they said they'll get back to me, but it's been a while. I'm going to follow up with them, but figured I'd see if anyone else got the same message.
Either way, sounds like you're getting in-state tuition.

Hey y'all, I'm an OOS applicant and I had my interview last year in late October. I haven't heard anything since then... do you think I still have a chance at acceptance? I know utsw started notifying in-state applicants quite early for pre-match, but I'm not sure what the timeline is for OOS applicants. Should I begin losing hope? :bucktooth:

Hey y'all, I'm an OOS applicant and I had my interview last year in late October. I haven't heard anything since then... do you think I still have a chance at acceptance? I know utsw started notifying in-state applicants quite early for pre-match, but I'm not sure what the timeline is for OOS applicants. Should I begin losing hope? :bucktooth:

Absolutely not. There is a good amount of movement in April/May from the alternate list (the email for that goes out in February). It's a long waiting game but all we can do is hope for the best

I was in the same situation as you last year, and I ended up getting in late May... Very last minute but since I LOVED UTSW I just changed my plans and moved to Dallas!

Has any MD/PhD applicant who had an interview in November received any information on the status of their application?

I know the MSTPs in my class all heard back after MS0 weekend for some reason. MSTPs have a separate MS0 weekend later on though. So maybe mid-February is when y'all would hear back? (this is all speculation and hearsay)

Not sure why this thread alerted me, considering I haven’t contributed to it in months and didn’t get alerted for the previous few replies, but I feel like it’s calling me :p

Anyways, this is right around the time (end of Jan, early Feb) when a lot of people are hearing back about their MSTP application. I think acceptances go out through the end of February but not sure about the exact cutoff. Even if you hear a bit later or end up on the waitlist, don’t despair, there’s a lot of movement. Second look weekend isn’t till April, and a few people in our class didn’t get off the waitlist until after that (like in May/June) but still chose to come here.

MSTP Acceptance!!!! via email ~11PM last night. I am so pleasantly surprised, after waiting so anxiously all week!

Reactions: 2 users