2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The day of reckoning is nigh.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like they sent out the round of MSTP acceptances regardless of interview date, I know of people who interviewed early in the season and just now got accepted.

EDIT: Okay, ignore what I said about MSTP offers being sent out through February. It looks like the MSTP class is officially full for the season... For now at least, until people start dropping out and they replace them. Not sure if the replacements will be regular acceptance offers or people being bumped off the waitlist. I'm playing with incomplete information here

Last edited:
Hi I have a question, hope I do not offend anybody? But Is this thread for pre-meds applying or MSTP's or both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I have a question, hope I do not offend anybody? But Is this thread for pre-meds applying or MSTP's or both?

Both I guess. It was mainly regular MD applicants but the MSTPs hijacked it for the last few posts :p

How can you tell if you've been waitlisted versus just straight rejected on match day?

If we didn’t get a email at 8 am this morning, it means waitlisted or rejected correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how/when OOS acceptances come through?

A little disappointed I didn't match here today, thought with my median mcat I'd at least be close? Anyway, I'll be happy with my acceptance at UTMB and hope I get in off the waitlist.

A little disappointed I didn't match here today, thought with my median mcat I'd at least be close? Anyway, I'll be happy with my acceptance at UTMB and hope I get in off the waitlist.
We're in the same boat, buddy!

Hey everyone, MS3 here! I was in some of your shoes a few years ago, I matched to another school on match day (pre-match) and was holding out hope for UTSW. I (and many, many others) got in off the waitlist later in the season. Don't give up hope! There is a LOT of waitlist movement later in the season! PM me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Been wondering the same

OOS acceptances are usually via email (at least last year it was and from what I heard from someone this year). If it's early enough they mail you a packet that you sign and stuff and send back. If it's late in May then they just include documents in an email to sign to save time and then mail the informational stuff later. I know they have already been accepting OOS throughout the year, so I'm not sure how many spots they had left to send out with match day. After that it's to the waitlist. It's generally pretty quiet until end of April, and then picks up in May as everyone typically narrows their acceptances to one school and some OOS will withdraw from UTSW and UTSW will extend the acceptance to someone else.

For IS people who didn't match here, as others have said, there will likely be a lot of waitlist movement in March/April/May, so you still might get in! And even if you don't, sounds like you matched elsewhere so you will be an MD which is pretty cool regardless of where you get it from!

For OOS, I doubt there will be any waitlist movement for a while (based on my experience when I applied), but there historically has been waitlist movement in April/May (whenever the deadline is at which point people can't hold more than one acceptance, things start moving).

MS2 here: we don’t do much matching at utsw (single digits/teens) so don’t be dismayed. You will see about 1/4-1/3 of the class shift via the waitlist though so unfortunately there is some waiting still to be done! Don’t give up hope!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any information on UTSW policy on sending application updates- e.g. new research projects, last semester's transcripts

Person at admissions office says they're working on a waitlist email right now.

Just got the waitlist/alternate list email!

Same. Just got the waitlist email. Relieved to have some communication!

Waitlist here as well, Anybody know how many get accepted off the list?

So everyone receives the waitlist email yah?

I got the email 12 minutes after first poster. This must mean I’m screwed.

*neuroticism intensifies*

(this is a joke. It’s probably because I interviewed on the last day and was at the bottom of the pile)

Hey y'all, current student here. Not sure how many people get off the list, but anecdotally I can say it seems like quite a lot! I have many friends who got off the waitlist. I know it sucks to keep waiting but keep the hope alive :)

Hey y'all, current student here. Not sure how many people get off the list, but anecdotally I can say it seems like quite a lot! I have many friends who got off the waitlist. I know it sucks to keep waiting but keep the hope alive :)

I see you all over last year’s threads ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Based on knowledge of a bunch of others in my class (myself included) and her class who got in off the waitlist, definitely lots of spots :)

How do they decide who to take off the waitlist if the waitlist is unranked? Is it stats driven?

How do they decide who to take off the waitlist if the waitlist is unranked? Is it stats driven?
It most definitely is ranked. They just don’t want people to keep asking for their position on the waitlist.

It most definitely is ranked. They just don’t want people to keep asking for their position on the waitlist.

This is probably true.

My thought is that the wait list is “tiered” (there is block 1, 2, 3 etc.). Then, as spots become available, they’ll holistically re-review from block 1, until it’s empty, then 2, then 3.

Of course, that could be totally wrong and off base...

Oh I see. So in the email when they said it’s unranked they weren’t telling the truth?

Oh I see. So in the email when they said it’s unranked they weren’t telling the truth?
They just say that so people won’t be bugging them every day to see if their rank has changed. It may not be a true rank; it could be a structured tier of people they review when spots become available, like someone mentioned earlier - so I don’t think they blatantly lied.

From what I've heard since becoming a student here, I don't think it's ranked. It might be tiered though, that would make sense, otherwise that's a lot of applications to review every time a spot becomes available.

Does anyone know how/when OOS acceptances come through?
I was accepted here around December 20th, after having interviewed December 1. I think that OOS acceptances are done on a rolling basis. I'm not sure how many (if any) acceptances go to OOS applicants post-match, besides those that come from off the waitlist.

Current students: does anyone have advice for finding an apartment / recommendations on areas that would be good for students? I can’t do campus housing as I will be bringing my pet with me. (sorry if this is the wrong thread for this post!)