2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really? Where did you read this? Do other TX schools do the same as well?
they're pretty open with that info... can't cite my source but can confirm SW is like that. Mcgovern and A&M are known to be very conservative while SW is pretty aggressive

Members don't see this ad.

You are right. I was under the impression though that UTSW basically fills its class on 11/15 and further movement occurs only to the extend those people chose to go elsewhere. That's just based on stuff I've read here.
Don't forget that a single applicant may get several prematch offers but he or she can only choose one school in the end. Also many get offers with no prematches at all. A Texan who prematches may also get in OOS and leave all the prematches behind. It ain't over till June 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
-_-
Is stealth II a common practice? I only know after logging in the portal to check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all -- please don't worry about not interviewing before 11/15! I promise it doesn't mean you can't be accepted. UTSW does heavily fill its class during prematch BUT that does not mean if you don't get in 11/15, you're doomed. Last year I interviewed in September and was crushed when I didn't get accepted on the first day. I ended up getting in in December! 11/15 is not the only day of the prematch period -- there are other waves of prematches all through November and December. And many people also get in off the waitlist. Relax!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all -- please don't worry about not interviewing before 11/15! I promise it doesn't mean you can't be accepted. UTSW does heavily fill its class during prematch BUT that does not mean if you don't get in 11/15, you're doomed. Last year I interviewed in September and was crushed when I didn't get accepted on the first day. I ended up getting in in December! 11/15 is not the only day of the prematch period -- there are other waves of prematches all through November and December. And many people also get in off the waitlist. Relax!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your encouragement. I needed this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I'll also throw in the fact that I interviewed on match day and pre-matched about 2 weeks later. I think it is true that a lot of prematches happen on the first day it's allowed, but it doesn't end there. I'm an MS4 now but I would imagine it is still similar.

Reactions: 3 users
II last night over email!! Over the moon! Scheduled for Oct 28th - Saturday.

Does anyone know where to get a TB test for cheap? Also, for the Friday rounds, they said they do not require documentation for the shots, but they require you to attest to them... does that mean we just sign something off stating we got the shots or do we have to bring some kind of proof?... Thanks in advance

Does anyone know where to get a TB test for cheap? Also, for the Friday rounds, they said they do not require documentation for the shots, but they require you to attest to them... does that mean we just sign something off stating we got the shots or do we have to bring some kind of proof?... Thanks in advance

Check your uni's nurse if you're still in school. Mine did it for $5. Or you can see if there's a health clinic in your county, they'll usually do it pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Is this required only if you get an II? I don't recall seeing anything about a TB test.

Also wondering if we need to bring proof/documentation.

Maybe because I'm blind I don't see where it says we need a TB test, where is it at?

Good luck on your interviews guys. Wish you well. It's a huge accomplishment and honor to be interviewing at UTsouthwestern! Enjoy

So I'm currently scheduled for a late October interview, but now I'm wondering if I should move it up a few weeks to give a better chance of prematching. I don't think it should matter because it seems like most schools are assigning point values to everyone and then uses those to send out offers, so when you interview is less important than when you got the invite in which case there would be no difference in what date you go to. Thoughts?

So I'm currently scheduled for a late October interview, but now I'm wondering if I should move it up a few weeks to give a better chance of prematching. I don't think it should matter because it seems like most schools are assigning point values to everyone and then uses those to send out offers, so when you interview is less important than when you got the invite in which case there would be no difference in what date you go to. Thoughts?

I read this on a previous years thread. When they send prematch offers they evaluate everyone they interview. And before they send another -later- smaller batch of offers they evaluate everyone again. So they are constantly evaluating everyone again and again. However, in my opinion one should always take the earliest possible date offered just as a rule of thumb. If you can interview earlier, I would do that. That way you can be "on the table" longer.

If you can do both, then just pick whichever works best with your schedule. If they work equally well, then pick the earlier one, not because it actually will help you get in, but because that way you won't always wonder whether you'd have gotten in if you interviewed earlier...

This was a great interview! Very conversational. Definitely the opposite of their reputation for being "cut-throat." Nicely done, UTSW!

Reactions: 6 users
This was a great interview! Very conversational. Definitely the opposite of their reputation for being "cut-throat." Nicely done, UTSW!

If only UTSW would give me that II. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
August 25 was the last reported II. Maybe they took a break last week

Doesn't matter as long as it's before Nov 15.

Doesn't matter as long as it's before Nov 15.

It can even be after November 15 -- there are definitely people who prematch who interview later.

Glad you enjoyed your interview!

Last year there were 14 interview dates this year there are only 11, so they may be interviewing less people this year or having bigger interview days who knows

Last year there were 14 interview dates this year there are only 11, so they may be interviewing less people this year or having bigger interview days who knows

I heard last year they had 75 ppl per interview. Idk how many people that interview per day this year

I think it definitely depends on the interviewer. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews.

I heard last year they had 75 ppl per interview. Idk how many people that interview per day this year

My boyfriend interviewed yesterday said there was around 50 people.

I can't find any OOS IIs in the thread. Does utsw only focus on IS at first, or am I missing something?

I can't find any OOS IIs in the thread. Does utsw only focus on IS at first, or am I missing something?
It's hard to tell who's truly from out of state when people come and interview. We had a few people from OOS colleges this past weekend, but they might all have been TX residents for all I know...
Don't worry though, OOS IIs will come eventually if they haven't yet. I interviewed mid October my year.

It's hard to tell who's truly from out of state when people come and interview. We had a few people from OOS colleges this past weekend, but they might all have been TX residents for all I know...
Don't worry though, OOS IIs will come eventually if they haven't yet. I interviewed mid October my year.
I didn't meet anyone OOS this week. Largely dominated by JAMP which is of course all IS. So, +1 to above regarding OOS.

Haven't heard a thing from them, despair is setting in :(

Haven't heard a thing from them, despair is setting in :(

Same. There's hasn't been a reported II in a while :/
I'm taking that as a good thing- we haven't necessarily been missing out. My guess is they want to focus a little on september interviews before sending out more invites. Let's stay positive and hopeful!

does anyone know the history of UTSW turnaround time after interview. Do you usually hear an acceptance/reject/waitlist within say three weeks?