2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my II today at 7:00pm. Now I have to decide to if I'm going to push the date back a month to Nov 18th (post prematch), or interview at two schools in one weekend.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got my II today at 7:00pm. Now I have to decide to if I'm going to push the date back a month to Nov 18th (post prematch), or interview at two schools in one weekend.
Congrats, what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations on your II! When were you complete and what dates were you offered?

Congratulations on your II! When were you complete and what dates were you offered?

The only dates left are October 14th, November 18th, and December 2nd. I'm an anomaly for SDN and submitted my primary late (end of July), so all my information was not transmitted until the beginning of this month.

The only dates left are October 14th, November 18th, and December 2nd. I'm an anomaly for SDN and submitted my primary late (end of July), so all my information was not transmitted until the beginning of this month.

Wow you had a really fast turnaround! That's awesome! Have you heard from any other schools? Thanks for your reply

Oh wow! Does that mean UT Southwestern is almost done sent out all the IIs?

Just checked last year's thread. They only opened up november dates around mid october. It seems as if this year they are moving a lot faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked last year's thread. They only opened up november dates around mid october. It seems as if this year they are moving a lot faster.

I also just read that thread and honestly a lot of the IIs reported in that thread were late September, October and November. Hence I don't really think it's late. Maybe not early but not late

I also just read that thread and honestly a lot of the IIs reported in that thread were late September, October and November. Hence I don't really think it's late. Maybe not early but not late

Yeah it shouldn't be late, but by this time last year they hadn't even opened november, let alone december. I think this year they are moving a lot faster. I think it's because there was a HUGE flurry of early applicants this year. I listened to the TMDSAS podcast and this year had a record amount of early apps and TMDSAS was more backed up than it ever has been before in many years. For reference, someone last year submitted their primary to TMDSAS on July 11th and was verified by July 28th. I submitted June 30 and wasn't verified until August 7. I think this means that there were enough early applicants that UTSW liked so they aren't really seeing a point in waiting around and they are just sending out a bunch of II. Unfortunately, this year in particular, if you weren't early it really hurt.

Yeah it shouldn't be late, but by this time last year they hadn't even opened november, let alone december. I think this year they are moving a lot faster. I think it's because there was a HUGE flurry of early applicants this year. I listened to the TMDSAS podcast and this year had a record amount of early apps and TMDSAS was more backed up than it ever has been before in many years. For reference, someone last year submitted their primary to TMDSAS on July 11th and was verified by July 28th. I submitted June 30 and wasn't verified until August 7. I think this means that there were enough early applicants that UTSW liked so they aren't really seeing a point in waiting around and they are just sending out a bunch of II. Unfortunately, this year in particular, if you weren't early it really hurt.

Lol. I submitted UTSW secondary early July and have heard nothing so it's hard to say

Reactions: 1 users
Where in the world are the OOS IIs???

Reactions: 3 users
Last year, I got a call from UTSW on 10/22, interviewed on 12/2 and prematched
on 12/12. IS, GPA 3.78, MCAT514

Reactions: 4 users
my interview is this coming weekend. anyone have any suggestions as to preparing for their interview?

my interview is this coming weekend. anyone have any suggestions as to preparing for their interview?
My interview was fine, the interviewers didn't ask any questions that were abnormal or anything. Just make sure, as in all interviews, you know yourself well and can articulate your ideas in a sophisticated manner.

The interview program is 2 days long, so by the time you're at your interview you're pretty well-acquainted with the school and its curriculum. Try and visualize yourself at the school and see if you think UTSW is a good 'fit' for you. Other than that, the interviews themselves aren't any different from the other schools I've interviewed at. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Ok so, it definitely seems to have moved a lot faster this year for UT Southwestern. I know someone that works in a UTSW lab, whose PI is an interviewer and is intimately involved with the admissions committee and overall process at UT Southwestern. Unfortunately, he seems to indicate is that UTSW only has about 70 interview spots left to give out for the rest of this cycle, which is worryingly low for those of us that are IS and haven't got an interview yet. This is kind of a bummer but still....hope it turns out well for everyone.

Ok so, it definitely seems to have moved a lot faster this year for UT Southwestern. I know someone that works in a UTSW lab, whose PI is an interviewer and is intimately involved with the admissions committee and overall process at UT Southwestern. Unfortunately, he seems to indicate is that UTSW only has about 70 interview spots left to give out for the rest of this cycle, which is worryingly low for those of us that are IS and haven't got an interview yet. This is kind of a bummer but still....hope it turns out well for everyone.

As deeply depressing as this information is, thank you for posting this. Looks like it's game over at utsouthwestern. I don't know why they moved so fast this year and got everything booked up so quickly. I thought they would at least have 150 more interview invites left because there were two dates that they still had not opened up. This is very unfortunate and sad. Excuse me while I go cry and mourn the loss of my childhood fantasy :(

As deeply depressing as this information is, thank you for posting this. Looks like it's game over at utsouthwestern. I don't know why they moved so fast this year and got everything booked up so quickly. I thought they would at least have 150 more interview invites left because there were two dates that they still had not opened up. This is very unfortunate and sad. Excuse me while I go cry and mourn the loss of my childhood fantasy :(

FWIW: I'm not gonna determine the credibility or truth of the post you are replying to, but remember to take SDN posts with a little grain of salt, esp. ones that say they know someone who knows a person who knows another who has an insider's perspective on what is going on in the admissions process. It's hearsay to the nth degree.

Keep your eye on the prize. There are plenty of other great schools still handing out IIs. Good luck!

Keep in mind too that the submission deadline is Sept 29 (in 2 days) so they have pretty much all the possible applications in their hands already. They can go through the apps again and make their final invitations.

Obviously, I myself would take that info with a grain of salt and I really, really don't want to believe it. But, I personally would lean towards believing it because of how fast this process has moved this year in comparison to previous years and the fact that the person in question is also a research technician currently applying to medical school and he personally asked the admissions office at UTSW about the veracity of that info.

Just got offered an early October II. Was beginning to lose hope a bit

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II e-mail. TMDSAS transmitted 8/31. Secondary submitted 9/21. I was given an October 21nd interview date with the options to reschedule to 11/11, 11/18, or 12/2. MCAT 515, Overall GPA: 3.86, BCPM GPA 3.93

Reactions: 2 users
I assume most people are picking the earliest date. UTSW is notorious for filling their class via prematch

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview invitation! Wow! Good news! I'm happy to hear that they seem to still be handing them out. Looks like they sent out a huge batch today. That's awesome for everyone who got one! Thanks for posting :)

Just got an II e-mail. TMDSAS transmitted 8/31. Secondary submitted 9/21. I was given an October 21nd interview date with the options to reschedule to 11/11, 11/18, or 12/2. MCAT 515, Overall GPA: 3.86, BCPM GPA 3.93

Thanks for posting all this info! Really appreciate it! CONGRATULATIONS! :) go celebrate

I heard last year they had 75 ppl per interview. Idk how many people that interview per day this year
Hi. So I'm a current MS1 here, and every interview they send out a list of the interviewees just in case we see anyone we know and want to mingle with them during your lunch(es) here. For the past few interviews, the list has indeed consisted of about 75 people.

II OOS. Offered 4 dates from mid oct through dec
Hi. So I'm a current MS1 here, and every interview they send out a list of the interviewees just in case we see anyone we know and want to mingle with them during your lunch(es) here. For the past few interviews, the list has indeed consisted of about 75 people.

Hmmmm. Nice.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what to wear to the Friday morning rounds/Friday afternoon program?
Other Important Information Attire: It is likely you will be entering patient rooms. Business attire is required. Comfortable shoes strongly recommended as Rounds and Tours involve a lot of walking.
For the gentlemen: Slacks, button-down shirt and tie. Suit jackets are not required, but recommended.
For the ladies: Slacks or skirt with shirt

Straight from the pdf they sent

Other Important Information Attire: It is likely you will be entering patient rooms. Business attire is required. Comfortable shoes strongly recommended as Rounds and Tours involve a lot of walking.
For the gentlemen: Slacks, button-down shirt and tie. Suit jackets are not required, but recommended.
For the ladies: Slacks or skirt with shirt

Straight from the pdf they sent
Or business-type dress for women. (PLEASE make any skirt/dress go almost to your knees)

Do we need to bring anything to the Friday rounds and evening program? Such a notebook and pen?

Do we need to bring anything to the Friday rounds and evening program? Such a notebook and pen?
Definitely no for the morning. For the rest of the day, only if you like writing things down about schools so you can remember them in a few months.

Definitely no for the morning. For the rest of the day, only if you like writing things down about schools so you can remember them in a few months.

Do you happen to know if UT Southwestern provides students a pen/any flyers on Friday afternoon? I'd rather take notes on them that lug a writing pad.

II invite this morning.
Primary verified by TMDSAS 9/13
Secondary Submitted 9/25 (three days ago)

Available dates to interview
Oct 21 (Chose this one)
Oct 28
Nov 11
Nov 18

Stats
In-state
GPA: 3.75 -- Physics -- Cornell University
MCAT: 516 (132/128/128/128)

II invite this morning.

Oct 21 (Chose this one)
Oct 28
Nov 11
Nov 18

Stats
In-state

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Thank you for all the info.

Last edited:
II invite this morning.

Oct 21 (Chose this one)
Oct 28
Nov 11
Nov 18

Stats
In-state

Same reply. That's a lot of info bro

Do you happen to know if UT Southwestern provides students a pen/any flyers on Friday afternoon? I'd rather take notes on them that lug a writing pad.
Sorry I apparently don't go on SDN often enough :( hope they did provide pens! You'll definitely get a packet tomorrow but not sure about pens