2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow! That's a very quick turnaround. Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! My TMDSAS was transmitted to schools late September, and I just submitted my secondary Saturday night.

Wowza!!! that's a really fast turnaround! :) Congrats! Your application must have knocked their socks off!

Just a friendly reminder that a significant portion of the class comes from the waitlist. All hope is not lost if you don't end up prematching!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS and I know I don't quite have the stats to merit an II from this school, but having a father who graduated from here and a grandparent who taught here for around 20 years makes the radio silence from UTSW hurt even more...

I'm OOS and I know I don't quite have the stats to merit an II from this school, but having a father who graduated from here and a grandparent who taught here for around 20 years makes the radio silence from UTSW hurt even more...

Same boat. Worked at UTSW for a while and am still working here, but haven't heard a thing. And I'm IS, so it should be much easier for me. It only hurts a lot. PM me if you wanna cry together.

Same boat. Worked at UTSW for a while and am still working here, but haven't heard a thing. And I'm IS, so it should be much easier for me. It only hurts a lot. PM me if you wanna cry together.
I’ve never felt so unwanted :*(

For those that attended rounds, how did the ladies dress? I know the email says business casual, but I just don't want to underdress.

Is it still preferable to select an earlier date to interview after Nov. 15th? Current dates available include Nov. 18th, Dec. 2, Dec. 9, and Jan. 6.

Is it still preferable to select an earlier date to interview after Nov. 15th? Current dates available include Nov. 18th, Dec. 2, Dec. 9, and Jan. 6.

Probs not lol. But probably beneficial to select a date before prematch period ends though, i.e. not Jan. 6

I didn't do the rounds, but the ladies I saw who did basically wore business professional without a jacket. Nice dress pants and nice blouse will serve you well.

*edited for quoting the wrong post*

waiting for the prematch date is like watching the grass grow

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For OOS, most people get in early and then there's no more movement until waitlist because they can't exceed the 10% OOS. So Probably any of the dates you mentioned will be the same. If you're able to do an earlier one, you'll be less likely to come on a snow day (last year's equivalent of the Jan 6 interview was super cold and it snowed, which shuts down airports here, which is inconvenient if you want to fly home).

Does anyone know what the process will look like for UTSW on Nov 15? If we are accepted on that day, are we going to see an update in TMDSAS or get an email from the school or both? Does this happen at 12:00 am?

Does anyone know what the process will look like for UTSW on Nov 15? If we are accepted on that day, are we going to see an update in TMDSAS or get an email from the school or both? Does this happen at 12:00 am?

Looking at last years thread, UTSW sent out a big batch of prematch offers via email shortly after midnight on the 15th. Good luck mate

I didn't get in on Nov 15, but I distinctly recall everyone reporting that they got in around midnight and in the hours after that on Nov 15 my year. I think for a lot of people it showed up on the portal before they got emails.

For OOS, most people get in early and then there's no more movement until waitlist because they can't exceed the 10% OOS. So Probably any of the dates you mentioned will be the same. If you're able to do an earlier one, you'll be less likely to come on a snow day (last year's equivalent of the Jan 6 interview was super cold and it snowed, which shuts down airports here, which is inconvenient if you want to fly home).

Does this mean that OOS interviews after the 15th are for waitlist spots?

I've got a question for the folks that have done the clinical rounds on Friday or interviewed here. Is there a place for us to put our coats? It's going to be in the 30s Friday morning. As a native Texan, I am going to freeze my glutes off.

I've got a question for the folks that have done the clinical rounds on Friday or interviewed here. Is there a place for us to put our coats? It's going to be in the 30s Friday morning. As a native Texan, I am going to freeze my glutes off.

You might be able to leave it in the admissions office, but other than that I can't think of anything. I'd say just tough it out, the only time you'll be outside is the two minute walk from your car to the meeting spot.

Does this mean that OOS interviews after the 15th are for waitlist spots?
I don't remember OOS reporting acceptances after November 15th, but not everyone is on SDN. You can go through the old threads if you'd like, because my memory is far from perfect, especially after this long.

You can leave it at the admissions office! It's in the same building breakfast is at, so it should be easy enough.

Do you mean architecturally? Can you be a tiny bit more specific? :S not sure exactly what aspect of the environment you mean.
Lol sorry. I meant student-wise. Like do the students get along well or is it still a bit of a cut-throat environment? When I interviewed the students didn’t seem to be very happy and I’m not sure if I just caught them on an off week or something.

Lol sorry. I meant student-wise. Like do the students get along well or is it still a bit of a cut-throat environment? When I interviewed the students didn’t seem to be very happy and I’m not sure if I just caught them on an off week or something.

I'm not the one you asked but just wanted to give you my input as well! I'm not sure when you interviewed but the MS1s tend to have exams on Fridays (the same days as the interviewee dinners) so there's a good possibility you just caught people on a bad day. As a current MS1 I would say the environment is very friendly. I think the college system and carrels help a lot with that -- we all have a little home base and a group we can always catch up with and it really helps make med school less lonely. I wouldn't call our school cutthroat at all -- we have a super active Facebook group where people are always posting helpful Anki decks and practice problems and the like.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah it's been a Friday tests for us MS2s as well, so I think it's just when interviews happen we're all a little sleep deprived and looking forward to the weekend! Tomorrow the MS1s have a final exam and then some of them will go straight to the applicant lunch, so the scenario will likely repeat.
Besides tests though, people are generally very happy, and even on test days, it's super cohesive, lots of people walk around the test room and chat with friends if they are early. Plus we are pass fail and not ranked, so there's no reason to be competitive/cut-throat.
Anyway students get along well, mostly within their own class but we also try to foster inter-class friendships with a big/little system, and events within the colleges. We also have a joint Halloween party and a joint Winter Formal. I've been really enjoying watching the current MS1s get to know each other, because last year I feel like I woke up a month into school and realized I felt like I'd known my classmates for years, and I wondered if that was going to happen to the MS1s, and it seems like it did!
That was a novel... But yeah people here are very close and friendly and not cut-throat at all.

I'm not the one you asked but just wanted to give you my input as well! I'm not sure when you interviewed but the MS1s tend to have exams on Fridays (the same days as the interviewee dinners) so there's a good possibility you just caught people on a bad day. As a current MS1 I would say the environment is very friendly. I think the college system and carrels help a lot with that -- we all have a little home base and a group we can always catch up with and it really helps make med school less lonely. I wouldn't call our school cutthroat at all -- we have a super active Facebook group where people are always posting helpful Anki decks and practice problems and the like.

Yes, I agreed with Skittsie13, As a MS1, I have been very tight schedules on Fridays. Beside that, the work environment here is very supportive and loving.

Any word on when out of state applicants might hear back?

what can we expect to hear on the prematch date (11/15). if we interviewed in september will we hear a decision for sure (accepted, WL, rejected)?

what can we expect to hear on the prematch date (11/15). if we interviewed in september will we hear a decision for sure (accepted, WL, rejected)?

The only thing you can get during the prematch period is an acceptance of silence. UTSW has been prematch heavy in the past but people continue to prematch throughout the prematch period (i.e. if you don't hear on Nov 15, it doesn't mean you can't hear later in Nov or Dec). That said, given you applied in September, I would be hoping to hear on Nov 15 (as am I). In past years, some schools, including UTSW, sent out emails immediately after midnight and the prematch is reflected around the same time on the TMDSAS portal. Other schools, such as Dell, call prematches before sending out emails or updating the TMDSAS portal. I believe the first person on SDN to hear from Dell heard on Nov 17.

Last edited:
Can people who interviewed in October expect to hear back Nov. 15? Or is that too quick of a turnaround?

Any word on when out of state applicants might hear back?
Historically November 15th. UTSW doesn't offer spots until then, even thought they could for OOS applicants, they just don't.

Can people who interviewed in October expect to hear back Nov. 15? Or is that too quick of a turnaround?
I don't think that's too quick.

Reactions: 2 users
Historically November 15th. UTSW doesn't offer spots until then, even thought they could for OOS applicants, they just don't.

I don't think that's too quick.
Do you think end of October interviews can still hear back Nov.15th?

Do you think end of October interviews can still hear back Nov.15th?

Yes. Most schools review interviewees literally the week after interview day.

Just got an II here by email!!! 12/2. 12/9 and 1/6 still available. complete late july. LizzyM ~71, ORM, IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II here by email around 7pm!!! I was assigned 12/9 but I switched to 12/2. The only other date available was 1/6. My primary transmitted 07/21 and secondary complete 07/24. LizzyM ~71

I'm not sure how my chances look since it's after November 15th, but I'm just happy I got an interview.

Congrats!!!

II earlier today for December 2nd. 12/09 and 01/06 were also available. Completed around the middle of September. LizzyM~70 and URM. The last interview invites for this cycle are likely happening withing the next 2 weeks, depending if there are still more left.

What time does the interview day typically end on Saturday?

All the interviews proper are done by 11am. Lunch ends around 1pm. You can be out by 2pm if you skip tours.
What time does the interview day typically end on Saturday?

Tours go to the Parkland helipad now, so if you're able to go, that's a ton of fun (and a beautiful view of Dallas)

Any advice from people that have already interviewed? Also, what’s the day like and the activities the day before?