2017-2018 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh no. I didn't say you had a problem. I'm just curious. CONGRATS!

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Haha no worries, thank you!! It was the weirdest feeling having to decline the offer, I stared at that button for a good 30 minutes before doing it. It's my third time applying and I would have been begging for anyone to offer me before, now I had to decline one

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha no worries, thank you!! It was the weirdest feeling having to decline the offer, I stared at that button for a good 30 minutes before doing it. It's my third time applying and I would have been begging for anyone to offer me before, now I had to decline one
We keep pushing! That's all we can do! Glad to hear your finding success

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely agree with that. I guess my only concern is that I have a previous MCAT score from 2016. Won't they assume to use that one?
When I retook, I had went back into my application and under the testing section there was a spot to enter a new testing date. Then I resubmitted. I also wrote an email to the admissions office explaining I got a low score, what I was doing to improve, and when I planned on retaking so they were very aware that I knew that score wasn’t good and that I was actively working on it

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in September. Got a secondary in October. Got around to doing it in November. By late November got an interview. Mcat matters to an extent. I didn't have an amazing mcat score but enough to prove I can handle school. I also interview at my in state MD school whose mcat is around a 510 and mine was below that. Many schools look at your app from a holistic perspective. You will be fine. Also this school asks you how you studied for the mcat on your secondary app if I'm not mistaken.
How many of you were July applicants? I originally had my eyes set on the end of March/beginning of April for my MCAT, but I’m revamping to dedicate so much time to study now that I left my full-time job. I got a 495 on my last practice test, so I might push back my date until the end of May due to a huge lack of content and slow learning curve.

This means I won’t apply until end of June/beginning of July. Is this a little risky? I’m assuming mass majority of people are applying during that time.

Also, I don’t know if I can send primaries without my new MCAT score. I’ve taken it before and I’m assuming that’s the score that will be considered for primary applications.

I will be declining my acceptance to UIWSOM to attend a school near home. I hope this helps someone!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone done any research to see when they started taking people off the waitlist last year?

I thought I saw people being pulled off the wait list in this thread already? Maybe I'm wrong? Too lazy to look

II today received hold email back in Setempber, will end up declining so another person can get my spot.

They are STILL interviewing? Not sure if that is good or bad for us wait listers lol

They are STILL interviewing? Not sure if that is good or bad for us wait listers lol
The tmdsas match just ended so they are holding out for applicants that want to stay in Texas. If you look at last year they gave twice the amount of acceptances compared to those that matriculated

Anyone know when they stop sending IIs?
At my interview day said they would interview through April, but II are usually sent about a month in advance so the March dates are probably all scheduled and April may go out soon, if not already

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my MCAT in July and I wasn’t complete until end of October. Sent my primaries in end of September, did secondaries in October and still got an II from this school.

I mean in general, for the whole cycle, my primary wasn’t submitted until literally 9/28. I think the last secondary I completed was the first week of November (not for this school). I applied to 12 schools and got 5 IIs. It might be a little late, because my counterparts who applied earlier interviewed earlier whereas my interviews were December-Feb (coming up)... but I don’t think it’s a death sentence. If anything just apply in August then. I think it’s better to have a well put together application vs a rushed application because you feel like you need to apply on the first day.

And no, I don’t have stellar stats; LM ~65.

Feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hi! Thank you for the response. What does LM ~65 mean?

Hi! Thank you for the response. What does LM ~65 mean?

From the website (LizzyM Score Calculator | Student Doctor Network) that lets you calculate your Lizzy M score:
"About the LizzyM Score
LizzyM, SDN member and medical school admissions committee member, is the inventor of theLizzyM Score. The score allows you to see if you are a competitive applicant at a given school. If your LizzyM Score is far below or above the average, you may not be a good fit. If your score is far below, your application may be screened out due to numerical cutoffs. If it is far above, the school may assume they are your “safety” school and that you won’t attend if they offer an acceptance. This score should be used only as a guide to help you select schools and is not a guarantee of acceptance at any school. If you use this as your sole criteria to select medical schools to apply to, you don’t deserve to get in anyway."

I would like to remind everyone that the LizzyM score is a tool and not a predictor of success. I know some people personally with high LizzyM scores that were unable to secure any medical school acceptance. It should be noted, especially when looking at DO schools, that comparing your academic stats to someone else isn't going to glean you much information. It is more likely to either boost or shatter your self-esteem. I recommend everyone tread lightly on that one.

I'm losing my sanity waiting to hear back from the waitlist. :( Hopefully they let us know sooner than later. Even a rejection would give me peace of mind.

I'm losing my sanity waiting to hear back from the waitlist. :( Hopefully they let us know sooner than later. Even a rejection would give me peace of mind.
I imagine waitlist movement won't happen until they stop interviewing, maybe April if it hasn't yet. Might check last year's trend.

I imagine waitlist movement won't happen until they stop interviewing, maybe April if it hasn't yet. Might check last year's trend.

Saw people getting accepted both early March around this time and early April last cycle.

Waitlisted today. Interviewed 2/16. Really sad since I thought this interview went really well

Just received acceptance from a 2/16 interview. So excited! Best of luck to all.

Waitlisted from 9/23 and haven't heard anything. Does anyone know if this school is receptive to letters of intent?

II submitted and approximately two weeks ago, received an email that stated that they didn't have more interview slots. The email did state that will email me with any updates, but was wondering if I should call to learn about the timeline of this process. Any suggestions?

Thanks

II submitted and approximately two weeks ago, received an email that stated that they didn't have more interview slots. The email did state that will email me with any updates, but was wondering if I should call to learn about the timeline of this process. Any suggestions?

Thanks
You applied too late unfortunately. It sounds like they are done with interviews this year. I would look to apply as soon as applications open this year.

Except they didn't post the one thing everyone wants to know... Avg matriculant GPA and MCAT score hahaha

They typically talk about those things in their informational sessions.
Here are the MCAT stats as quoted by the associate dean of admission:

1st Matriculation Class | avg 501
2nd Matriculations Class | avg 502.5

I would assume the 3rd Matriculation Class to be another exponential increase (maybe 505.5, give or take)
Sorry, nothing was mentioned for GPA.

I would assume the 3rd Matriculation Class to be another exponential increase (maybe 505.5, give or take)
I know. I was making a joke about new schools avoiding publishing of those statistics as they typically are on the lower end and don't want to have that detour potential applicants (although 502 is on par with DO average overall). Don't worry, I'm not concerned about it. I'm attending the school next year haha

I know. I was making a joke about new schools avoiding publishing of those statistics as they typically are on the lower end and don't want to have that detour potential applicants (although 502 is on par with DO average overall). Don't worry, I'm not concerned about it. I'm attending the school next year haha

Congratulations!! I think they will be able to post stats after their first class properly matriculates.

Anyone that’s accepted know how many people are in the Facebook group? (Trying to gauge how many seats are still open)

Anyone that’s accepted know how many people are in the Facebook group? (Trying to gauge how many seats are still open)
You know you can search it and see the number? It isn't hidden. I wouldn't use that as a judge though.

Has there been any waitlist movement?

Waitlister here, just received an invite with guaranteed acceptance to UIW's MBS program.

Waitlister here, just received an invite with guaranteed acceptance to UIW's MBS program.
Congrats! I'm praying that I get that email, because I'm also on the waitlist and I'm interested in the MBS program.

Just got waitlisted. Interviewed 3/23

I don't know that they weigh the MCAT as heavily as they do their interview. They may start screening out sub-500s, but they are strongly mission-focused.

Giving up my spot here. Hope it goes to one of y’all!

Reactions: 5 users
I looked on last years forum, and it looks like people should be getting some waitlist movement this week!!! lets see what happens

3 People were just added to the Facebook Group.. Wonder if waitlist announcements went out?

3 People were just added to the Facebook Group.. Wonder if waitlist announcements went out?
i haven't heard anything, been on the wait list since September. They could just be accepted already and just joined the group or they could be fresh wait list movement.