2017-2018 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any WWAMI students here? I would love to ask a few questions if possible!
Go to the email titled "UWSOM Application: Interview Confirmation" and sign in to the second link with the given login.
Boise->scroll down to Additional Information->Idaho Medical Students Contact List

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those on the Spokane waitlist, does the portal say they have accepted 3 applicants as well? I wonder if they are lumping numbers at this point. The portal page isn't clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
how is the WWAMI safari? how much does the school help with finding housing in a new place every 6 weeks?

I’m doing safari, but that’s a choice. You don’t have to just because you are from WWAMI. I think it’s legit, but just because you do safari doesn’t mean you’ll get to go everywhere. Alaska and Idaho rotations are scarce, or at least it seemed like they were this year. They always provide housing outside Seattle if you are a safari student. You absolutely do not have to find your own. If you are not a safari student, but do an elective somewhere that is not your “home base” you have to figure it out on your own.

For those on the Spokane waitlist, does the portal say they have accepted 3 applicants as well? I wonder if they are lumping numbers at this point. The portal page isn't clear.
The Spokane portal says that no applicants have been accepted yet, so they definitely aren't lumping the two sites together.

Maybe we should update the 2022 Waitlist Movement google doc so that there is a separate column for Spokane?

Reactions: 1 users
The Spokane portal says that no applicants have been accepted yet, so they definitely aren't lumping the two sites together.

Maybe we should update the 2022 Waitlist Movement google doc so that there is a separate column for Spokane?
updated.

MS1 here Currently in class but our professor is late..... ask any questions you have

Members don't see this ad :)
3 sounds correct.

To clarify, did you mean 3 sounds correct for Seattle, or 3 sounds reasonable for upcoming Spokane movement? Just curious, seems like you're pretty well informed on the Spokane cohort.

Do 4th years get time off for interviews? how does that work?

From what I know, forth year schedule is kind of up to you to a certain extent. You can get your required 4th year rotations done by the fall and schedule sub-Is and interviews in the blocks that sound most beneficial to you.

Does anyone have a more current step 1 score from UW? Wishing their average was a little higher.
WjxjMvR.png

Does anyone have a more current step 1 score from UW? Wishing their average was a little higher.
View attachment 232861

I can’t quite remember but a friend of mine said at second look some wellness dean/associate dean said 228 or 227. So still around the spreadsheet number. I think a lot of people were kind of in shock when they heard the number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 232861

At second look at current student told me the step 1 scores are pretty low because half the class wants to do primary care so they put more effort into extracurriculars than studying because the primary care residencies are less competitive.

Reactions: 2 users
At second look at current student told me the step 1 scores are pretty low because half the class wants to do primary care so they put more effort into extracurriculars than studying because the primary care residencies are less competitive.
This is what I was told as well, which makes sense. I also heard from a 4th year gunning for a more competitive specialty that the UW name carried a lot of weight for them obtaining good away rotations. So if you're interested in a non-primary care specialty, it doesn't sound like you're impeded in any way. Just score well on your own boards. Worry less about the average.

This is what I was told as well, which makes sense. I also heard from a 4th year gunning for a more competitive specialty that the UW name carried a lot of weight for them obtaining good away rotations. So if you're interested in a non-primary care specialty, it doesn't sound like you're impeded in any way. Just score well on your own boards. Worry less about the average.

Agreed. Name and good connections carry heavier weight if you come from a reputable school.

wow that's pretty low

Scored like a ~230 still interviewed at UCSF, UC Stanford, UWash, UM, Mayo, etc. and matched at my top program in my field. You honestly don’t know what it means to go to UW until you interview as a 4th year. It’s a top 10 school and that means a lot. The name carries you a lot and will help a ton when it comes to interviews. Currently I’m ranked as a top performing intern despite average board scores. It’s all about the name in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Soooo 4/30 is coming up. Is it safe to withdraw from other schools if I'm top 10 on the alternate list? I don't know why I'm scared lmao.

Soooo 4/30 is coming up. Is it safe to withdraw from other schools if I'm top 10 on the alternate list? I don't know why I'm scared lmao.

I mean you should not withdraw from your alternate choice until you have an acceptance from UWSOM (probs soon after 4/30) -- that would be a risk I wouldn't take, but the others you can withdraw from.

It is okay to hold a single acceptance, plus a waitlist spot after 4/30. It is just not okay to hold multiple acceptances after 4/30.

It is okay to hold a single acceptance, plus a waitlist spot after 4/30. It is just not okay to hold multiple acceptances after 4/30.
Right. You can hold 1 acceptance but as many waitlists as you want/have.

Is it me, or has this waitlist moved especially slow...

Is it me, or has this waitlist moved especially slow...
I know, right?? Thank you for saying it! I'm trying not to freak out based on previous years' totals, but then again, for the 2020 class, they were already on number 15 at this point...

Last edited:
yes very slow!
For the total waitlist acceptances from previous years, are those numbers are Seattle + Spokane?
Also, do the totals represent the number of people from the waitlist that actually matriculate? Or the waitlist # the admissions office gets to? For example, say #'s 9, 10, 13, 14 all withdraw before their waitlist number is reached. When the office calls # 15 that means that only 11 people have been accepted even though they're on # 15.

yes very slow!
For the total waitlist acceptances from previous years, are those numbers are Seattle + Spokane?
Not sure... UW has always just reported them as WA/OOR. From the title it seems like Seattle+Spokane+OOR, but it doesn't look like it this year.

Also, do the totals represent the number of people from the waitlist that actually matriculate? Or the waitlist # the admissions office gets to?
I don't think this has anything to do with WL->matriculation. Just the number of people that get accepted off of the WL.

For example, say #'s 9, 10, 13, 14 all withdraw before their waitlist number is reached. When the office calls # 15 that means that only 11 people have been accepted even though they're on # 15.
On the portal, they write:
As of x/x/2018, we are currently on alternate number (the actual alternate number), which means that (the actual number of students they accepted off of the WL) alternate(s) have been accepted to the 2018 entering class.

For now, both are #5, but due to people coming off the alternate list, the former may be larger than the latter.

Last edited:
Also, sorry the shortened alternate list spreadsheet keeps changing. I believe the actual longer url keeps changing, causing the longer one to not work. Here is the longer one:
https:// ** docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kbzLljZ_9IMKEW-BMv722GchCRt0hLm9wLpqnaW-fxg/edit?usp=sharing

I used a different site to create the shortened url, so hopefully it works now.

I'm hoping they will update the portal multiple times today.. based on last trends it should be at least 15 today to be on track with previous years

I'm also hoping people can just withdraw early today. Pls help save some bucks :arghh:

I'm hoping they will update the portal multiple times today.. based on last trends it should be at least 15 today to be on track with previous years
They are updating it multiple times per day, apparently. This morning when I checked, they were on #5, but now they're on #7!

On the portal, they write:
As of x/x/2018, we are currently on alternate number (the actual alternate number), which means that (the actual number of students they accepted off of the WL) alternate(s) have been accepted to the 2018 entering class. For now, both are #5, but due to people coming off the alternate list, the former may be larger than the latter.
Interesting; my portal is different. Mine just says "As of x/x/2018, we are currently on alternate number 7, which means that 7 alternate(s) have been accepted to the 2018 entering class."

Interesting; my portal is different. Mine just says "As of x/x/2018, we are currently on alternate number 7, which means that 7 alternate(s) have been accepted to the 2018 entering class."

Oh, I added things after “for now”.

@BelleRose I was alternate #7, and I was accepted last Friday (April 27th). So that may not actually mean they are updating in real time, just that there was a little bit of a delay?

@BelleRose I was alternate #7, and I was accepted last Friday (April 27th). So that may not actually mean they are updating in real time, just that there was a little bit of a delay?

My portal did the same thing. Maybe they just update the portal later.

My portal did the same thing. Maybe they just update the portal later.
suggests that the portal refers to the number of people who have actually been accepted, not necessarily the waitlist number they are on.

Im #13 for the Seattle WL. Just got the call!
I just freaked out bc I'm <13. But I think UW just got a few seats open and <#13 excom members just hasn't called us yet. (at least I hope)

Reactions: 2 users

You all are angels for keeping us all updated :)

Im #13 for the Seattle WL. Just got the call!

Congratulations!!

I just freaked out bc I'm <13. But I think UW just got a few seats open and <#13 excom members just hasn't called us yet. (at least I hope)

Hang in there!

suggests that the portal refers to the number of people who have actually been accepted, not necessarily the waitlist number they are on.

I think it means what it says — they have accepted 7 people off the waitlist and thus #7 should have been notified.

Not every person that is accepted off the waitlist will take the acceptance - so they may have filled < 7 spots so far. I’d suggest not reading any more into it than what they state.

#20 on WA/OOR list, and just got the call!!!! AHHHH!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users