2017-2018 University of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optional Essay

The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them exceptional and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay.

Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a particular passion they have related to their future career in medicine. If you are not a resident of Wisconsin, you may want to tell us why you are interested in the University of Wisconsin or about a special connection that you may have to our state or people who live here.

Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi y'all! I will be an incoming MS1 at UW Madison this fall. Obviously I will know more once I get to campus in August, but please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions! Hearing from current students was really helpful for me going through this process, so I want to help out the next cohort!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi y'all! I will be an incoming MS1 at UW Madison this fall. Obviously I will know more once I get to campus in August, but please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions! Hearing from current students was really helpful for me going through this process, so I want to help out the next cohort!

were you out of state applicant or IS? I really like this school, and city (and weather lol). But i am a OSS applicant.

I am in-state, and obviously since it is a public school there are more WI residents than non-residents. I would advise you in your application to emphasize any connections you have to the Midwest, especially to Wisconsin. But there are definitely still OOS students in each class. According to MSAR, for the class of 2020 66/170 students were OOS!

I am in-state, and obviously since it is a public school there are more WI residents than non-residents. I would advise you in your application to emphasize any connections you have to the Midwest, especially to Wisconsin. But there are definitely still OOS students in each class. According to MSAR, for the class of 2020 66/170 students were OOS!

RIGHT!!!! I was looking at the interveiws granted! 322IS vs 278 OOS! I think this ratio is pretty good for even making it to the II stage.
But ask me "why wisconsin?".... i like the program.... and the weather lol. all of my family is on the eat coast I have no connections anywhere in the midwest or west coast :(. I only have one public state school- maryland so maybe they'll be kind to me:)

Anyone receive secondaries yet?

I didn't get a secondary yet, but I received three of the same email saying they received my application.

Reactions: 4 users
I get the same email at the same times twice a day. Do you all think there's a glitch in their system? This morning marks the 6th email I've received from them...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I get the same email at the same times twice a day. Do you all think there's a glitch in their system? This morning marks the 6th email I've received from them...

I think we can be sure about a glitch in the system. My bet is that they'll stop later today if people are going into the office. Otherwise, I feel like we'll probably keep getting emails until Wednesday.

Just in case someone finds this useful, University of Wisconsin has stated for 2017 - 2018 cycle the MCAT minimum is 503.

Reactions: 1 user
and there's the 7th. i'll give them a call tomorrow morning if I get another

Like tiramisucheese said, nobody is going to be in the office tomorrow. It'll be until Wednesday before anything happens.

7 (and counting ) here as well... definitely issues on the UWM side...

3 more just now...10 total....and no one has contacted them/received any update as to why this is happening?

It's July 4th. Nothing is going to happen until tomorrow at the very earliest.

Just in case someone finds this useful, University of Wisconsin has stated for 2017 - 2018 cycle the MCAT minimum is 503.

Do you think that they would consider this or a 506, as their median mcat is 512? ( i think)
I am an OOS URM, but only have one state school

All those emails about checking my GPA and MCAT score and still no secondary... C'mon U Wisc, ya can't get a girl's hopes up like that and then leave her hangin'.

I also got the secondary, here is the prompt:

Optional Essay

The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them exceptional and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay.

Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a particular passion they have related to their future career in medicine. If you are not a resident of Wisconsin, you may want to tell us why you are interested in the University of Wisconsin or about a special connection that you may have to our state or people who live here.

Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Does anyone know why WI residents can't submit secondaries until 8/20?

Does anyone know why WI residents can't submit secondaries until 8/20?

According to that email it looks like there is some state law in Wisconsin that says that students can't be verified for in-state residency more than a year before the start of classes...so 8/20 I guess.

Anyone have any advice on what to include in the WARM essays? Max is 500 words for each but none of them seem like they'd take anywhere near that many to finish.

Are you guys just doing short descriptions for the activities portion of the secondary? Or are you adding reflection? I was thinking just two short sentences of description.

I also got the secondary, here is the prompt:

Optional Essay

Is this for MD secondary?

Do you think that they would consider this or a 506, as their median mcat is 512? ( i think)
I am an OOS URM, but only have one state school
Hello, current M4 (OOS with no ties) checking in! This is a question we get every year. Minimums exist to facilitate the process of sifting through 5000+ applications, but there are always rare exceptions. Furthermore, despite the extremely low OOS applicant:interview ratio, it is not because of one variable or factor. I still consider our review process to be one of the most holistic among med schools - we take into account everything from the applicant's background, individual accomplishment, academic and non-academic strengths, and other qualities that make you stand out among the thousands hoping for a shot at our school.

Don't listen to what others may say - GPA and MCAT isn't everything. Our median stats could easily be higher, but we don't need to fill a class with all 4.0/515 Mcats. We care more about finding potential leaders in the field of medicine and/Or public health who possess qualities that would enhance the incoming class and positively impact the med school/surrounding community.

Bit of advice for those applying this cycle: take your secondary seriously and put some thought into it - it's your one chance to tell us why UWSMPH even if you don't have any ties.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many activities are allotted for the "Activities" section? I can't believe we have to basically redo our "Experience" section...

"Provide a history of your life activities from the time you completed high school to the present, i.e. volunteer work, service work, research, participation in music, sports, etc., parenting, et al. We realize that this information has already been entered on your AMCAS application; however, when entered into the secondary application, it is formatted in a bar graph, which makes it easy for our reviewers to see an overall history. You may block and copy information from your AMCAS application."

Does this mean we can copy and paste from our AMCAS?!

"Provide a history of your life activities from the time you completed high school to the present, i.e. volunteer work, service work, research, participation in music, sports, etc., parenting, et al. We realize that this information has already been entered on your AMCAS application; however, when entered into the secondary application, it is formatted in a bar graph, which makes it easy for our reviewers to see an overall history. You may block and copy information from your AMCAS application."

Does this mean we can copy and paste from our AMCAS?!
That's literally what I'm doing

For the optional essay, did y'all hit 500 words? is it okay to go slightly below 500?

For the optional essay, did y'all hit 500 words? is it okay to go slightly below 500?
I havent finished it yet, but pretty sure mine will be less. They'll appreciate having to read less words imo. As long as it says what needs to be said

is anyone else's letter of rec requirement not being checked off? Mine should definitely all be in, but it's not showing on the app

anyone still not received the secondary for mstp?