2017-2018 University of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed regular MD on 11/21. Called the admissions office on 12/22 since the interview packet says to call if you don't hear anything after 4 weeks. I got a call back on 12/28 as I'm guessing the offices were closed for holiday. The person I spoke to said there has been a lot of delay between Thanksgiving and winter breaks, and that my file hadn't been presented to the committee yet. She said I should expect to hear back around the 3rd or 4th week of January. So it sounds like they're a bit behind on their typical 4-week turnaround, which is understandable this time of year. The person I spoke with was super nice, and it was very relieving to know all the waiting is just because I haven't been reviewed yet.

Not all heroes wear capes

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted by mail. Any idea on the acceptance rate from the waitlist?
Are you IS or OOS? Also, when did you get the letter? I interviewed before you and have had silence and multiple call attempts to Admissions fail (has been going to voicemail every time).

Are you IS or OOS? Also, when did you get the letter? I interviewed before you and have had silence and multiple call attempts to Admissions fail (has been going to voicemail every time).
If you leave a voicemail they do usually get back to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any course recommendations from the UW online system for the humanities class with the writing requirement? My 3-4 3000 level psych classes didn’t have quite that much writing and my university doesn’t offer a class I could get into that would meet the requirement.

Any course recommendations from the UW online system for the humanities class with the writing requirement? My 3-4 3000 level psych classes didn’t have quite that much writing and my university doesn’t offer a class I could get into that would meet the requirement.

I'm curious about this as well. I believe that English 201 will meet this requirement because it is a replacement for UW's Comm B, which the website states meets their writing intensive requirement. I have a friend who goes to Madison right now who said that this was the course she took to meet the requirement. Have you applied to the UW online system yet? Because I submitted my application in early December and haven't heard back yet.

I'm curious about this as well. I believe that English 201 will meet this requirement because it is a replacement for UW's Comm B, which the website states meets their writing intensive requirement. I have a friend who goes to Madison right now who said that this was the course she took to meet the requirement. Have you applied to the UW online system yet? Because I submitted my application in early December and haven't heard back yet.
I haven’t, but thanks, I probably should!

I totally saw this on the admissions website before in the premedical requirements course list page, but it is no longer there. odd..

Does anyone know where I can find the match list for UW? Cannot seem to find it anywhere!

English 201 is online through the UW Independent Learning, or UW Stevens Point has a biomedical writing class online which works.

Thank you for bringing this up! I graduated 1 year ago and completely overlooked this requirement. I think my World Religions class would work but I took it 3 years ago and have no syllabus. I just want to be prepared just in case I get A or even WL!

Do you know what your friend thought about it? I am trying to decide between ENG 201 and the biomedical class in the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know what your friend thought about it? I am trying to decide between ENG 201 and the biomedical class in the summer.
The biomedical class looked interested. They emailed me a flyer about it. It’s basically just a class to meet this specific requirement

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else on the waitlist know if UW is receptive to letters of intent? I know they are not receptive to updates but maybe a letter of intent is different?

She didn't think it was hard at all, but it wasn't necessarily interesting either. I thought that in order to meet the requirement the class has to be in the humanities. Wouldn't a biomedical class not meet the requirement? I personally enrolled in ENG 201.

That biomedical class was designed specifically for students to meet the requirement, so it must be fine.

That biomedical class was designed specifically for students to meet the requirement, so it must be fine.
Yeah, its one the school recommends and the info flyer about it specifically says it meets the requirement.

Just got the acceptance phone call a couple hours ago!!! I also got an email about a half hour after the call. Interviewed 11/17 IS 511 3.71. Can’t wait to start here next fall!

Just got the acceptance phone call a couple hours ago!!! I also got an email about a half hour after the call. Interviewed 11/17 IS 511 3.71. Can’t wait to start here next fall!
Congratulations! How exciting! And thanks for posting.

What were the interview days that followed this? I was early December.

Congratulations! How exciting! And thanks for posting.

What were the interview days that followed this? I was early December.
I believe there was an interview day the Tuesday before thanksgiving. And then every Friday in December leading up to Christmas.

Do you know how you would go about taking this class coming from an OOS school?
The same way as anyone else who doesn't attend that school for undergrad.. Look into registering for online courses at that school and contact the school if you have questions..

List of UWSMPH interview dates for reference... ~Source- forwarded screen shot from friend's post-II survey~
Fri, Sep. 22*
Fri, Sep. 29*
Fri, Oct. 6
Fri, Oct. 13*
Fri, Oct. 20*
Mon, Oct. 23
Fri, Oct. 27
Fri, Nov. 3
Fri. Nov. 10*
Fri, Nov. 17*
Tues, Nov. 21
Fri, Dec. 1
Fri, Dec. 8
Fri, Jan. 5
Fri, Jan. 12
Fri, Jan. 19
Fri, Feb. 2
Fri, Feb. 9
Fri, Feb. 23

*II dates with acceptances reported to SDN on this thread

Reposting for Reference. I added the 11/17 date. 11/21 and 12/1 are the next dates to hear back.

Question: does anyone know of any apartment complexes near UWSMPH that students tend to live at? also, when is an appropriate time to look for housing / sign a lease?

Reposting for Reference. I added the 11/17 date. 11/21 and 12/1 are the next dates to hear back.
I’m pretty sure the last week of Jan is the next review for admission decisions, FYI.

How do you know this? Just curious
Was told I am being reviewed then, I’m an alternate for WARM who interviewed 9/29 and they didn’t get my **** to regular admissions until like mid Nov/ early Dec. based on the interview dates left to hear I’m guessing those are the dates mine will be reviewed with, and they told me by email I’d be reviewed near the end of Jan.

Question: does anyone know of any apartment complexes near UWSMPH that students tend to live at? also, when is an appropriate time to look for housing / sign a lease?

Look up gold leaf development, madison Wisconsin. They’re a company that has a lot of properties med students normally live in. Also 2550 university is very popular just also very expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Called in yesterday to check-in because I haven't heard back since my interview on Nov. 17. Accepted! I can't even believe it. OOS from a small city in Georgia no ties to WI. So excited to start here!

For other's reference: ORM, LizzyM: ~70

Last edited:
Called in yesterday to check-in because I haven't heard back since my interview on Nov. 17. Accepted! I can't even believe it. OOS from a small city in Georgia no ties to WI. So excited to start here!

God damn you’re lucky. Congrats

For the people who didn’t hear back yet, during the interview yesterday they said that they are running really behind and that the turn around for us is around 7-8 weeks. She said they are still in the process of reviewing apps from earlier interviews, although when the committee meets, they don’t go over applicants based on WHEN they interviewed, it’s all random.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For the people who didn’t hear back yet, during the interview yesterday they said that they are running really behind and that the turn around for us is around 7-8 weeks. She said they are still in the process of reviewing apps from earlier interviews, although when the committee meets, they don’t go over applicants based on WHEN they interviewed, it’s all random.

Are you sure about this? Because they told us the exact opposite thing at my interview.

When you called to check in they told you you were accepted? Congrats!

When you called to check in they told you you were accepted? Congrats!
Thank you! & yes, she told me that they've been attempting to contact me and I wasn't answering the phone calls (never saw WI area codes come through) and that the decision was made and I was accepted. I received acceptance e-mails shortly thereafter.

I interviewed 1/5, they told us they review at random.
Maybe at this late in the game they do review randomly because everyone’s in the final groups before more waitlist review? My guess..

Well, it's been 6 weeks. Might give it another week and then I'll call to see what's up.

Well, it's been 6 weeks. Might give it another week and then I'll call to see what's up.
They’ll tell you they are way behind and probably end of Jan you will hear, like they told everyone else above..

Anyone else on the waitlist know if UW is receptive to letters of intent? I know they are not receptive to updates but maybe a letter of intent is different?
I wanted to know this as well and could not find an answer so I finally emailed the admissions office. They do not accept letters of intent. Not sure if others have had luck sending them, but I was told no so I will not be sending one.

Anyone else’s heart dropped when you got an email from admissions only to open it and see that they are asking for interview feedback?!

Got a call at 9:30 from the MD Admission office but I'm in class. Maybe some kind of decision

edit: Accepted!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted this morning - interviewed Nov 21st
Best of luck to everyone else who interviewed!