2017-2018 UNTHSC Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompt:
TCOM seeks applicants who also have exceptional skills outside of academic performance. Please provide an example where you may have demonstrated one of the following (optional essay with 2000ch limit)
a. Leadership over a project that involved interaction with people outside your organization
b. Developed a plan to work through a specific situation where your ethics or moral code was challenged
c. Ability to improve by developing and executing a plan to succeed in an endeavor after previously being unsuccessful

If you attended more than two colleges/universities, explain why. (no obvious ch limit)

If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS app. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (no obvious ch limit)

What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (1000 ch max)

Please describe your most meaningful health-related experience. (1000 ch max)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@chizledfrmstone Here are the prompts for this year:

TCOM seeks applicants who also have exceptional skills outside of academic performance. Please provide an example where you may have demonstrated one of the following (optional essay with 2000ch limit)
a. Leadership over a project that involved interaction with people outside your organization
b. Developed a plan to work through a specific situation where your ethics or moral code was challenged
c. Ability to improve by developing and executing a plan to succeed in an endeavor after previously being unsuccessful

If you attended more than two colleges/universities, explain why. (no obvious ch limit)

If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS app. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (no obvious ch limit)

What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (1000 ch max)

Please describe your most meaningful health-related experience. (1000 ch max)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am able to check, but so far all it says is "Your application has been received. Please check your "to do" list for any outstanding items." I don't have any to do items, so I guess its just waiting at this point. Any word on II's this early?

I am able to check, but so far all it says is "Your application has been received. Please check your "to do" list for any outstanding items." I don't have any to do items, so I guess its just waiting at this point. Any word on II's this early?
Mine says the say thing!

Not sure when the first IIs get sent out.

Has anyone applied here without a DO or MD recommendation letter? I haven't sent in my secondary because I don't have either of those things. I'm wondering if I should just send it in and then send in a letter when I find a letter writer (I'm currently shadowing a DO who went to TCOM but I can't ask him yet cos I've shadowed him only a few times)

Has anyone applied here without a DO or MD recommendation letter? I haven't sent in my secondary because I don't have either of those things. I'm wondering if I should just send it in and then send in a letter when I find a letter writer (I'm currently shadowing a DO who went to TCOM but I can't ask him yet cos I've shadowed him only a few times)
I would just ask the Doc, most (I assume) understand that if you are shadowing them, there is a good chance you will ask for a letter. They know that when they agree to let you shadow. They have all been through the same hoops, just years before us.

I did. The only LoR I had was a committee letter, and not a packet of included letters. Literally one letter.
I obtained MD lor, volunteer letters, but never sent them in. Got accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys know when this school will begin sending out interview invites?

I would just ask the Doc, most (I assume) understand that if you are shadowing them, there is a good chance you will ask for a letter. They know that when they agree to let you shadow. They have all been through the same hoops, just years before us.

Yea that's true.. I should go ahead and ask :) Thanks!

I did. The only LoR I had was a committee letter, and not a packet of included letters. Literally one letter.
I obtained MD lor, volunteer letters, but never sent them in. Got accepted.

Oo that gives me a lot of hope. Thank you so much! Looks like I need to finish up my last essay question for the secondary and send it in. What year are you at TCOM?

C
Oo that gives me a lot of hope. Thank you so much! Looks like I need to finish up my last essay question for the secondary and send it in. What year are you at TCOM?
Class of 2021, starting school next month.

Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning when I checked my portal!!!!!

LizzyM ~ 62 but I'm told I have nice eyes

Reactions: 7 users
I need some advice.

I submitted my TMDSAS a few weeks ago, and my first MCAT score along with it (499). I'd like to re-take it in August but am wondering if it'll delay my application if I indicate I'm retaking it? Or will they evaluate with the first score? It it better to just sit tight and keep that sub-par score and plan on a re-take for next cycle?

Thanks

I need some advice.

I submitted my TMDSAS a few weeks ago, and my first MCAT score along with it (499). I'd like to re-take it in August but am wondering if it'll delay my application if I indicate I'm retaking it? Or will they evaluate with the first score? It it better to just sit tight and keep that sub-par score and plan on a re-take for next cycle?

Thanks
If you indicate a retake, I'm almost certain that they'll withhold judgement until your next score is released. Now, since you will retake in August, they won't see your score until September.

Are you willing to wait until September to effectively have your application complete and reviewed? Do you have any special circumstances that you feel can make up for a sup-par MCAT (i.e. GPA, URM, outstanding EC's (to an extent) etc.)? Are you confident that you can increase your MCAT score by 2-4 percentiles from now until August? These are some questions to ask yourself if you're deciding on a retake and applying now vs. next year.

If you indicate a retake, I'm almost certain that they'll withhold judgement until your next score is released. Now, since you will retake in August, they won't see your score until September.

Are you willing to wait until September to effectively have your application complete and reviewed? Do you have any special circumstances that you feel can make up for a sup-par MCAT (i.e. GPA, URM, outstanding EC's (to an extent) etc.)? Are you confident that you can increase your MCAT score by 2-4 percentiles from now until August? These are some questions to ask yourself if you're deciding on a retake and applying now vs. next year.
I can personally attest that this is not true. I submitted my TCOM app with the intention of retaking the MCAT in august. I ended up having my interview on the same day that my score came out.

Congrats!

I've been wondering, how does it show in your portal? Does the This Application Is Complete change?

When you go to the Applicant Status page everything looks the same except above the box/table it says "You have been invited for an interview."

When you go to the Applicant Status page everything looks the same except above the box/table it says "You have been invited for an interview."

Have you received an email from them with II info or just that quote in your portal?

Have you received an email from them with II info or just that quote in your portal?

I remember getting a call from Caroline first, because I was checking my portal every few hours obsessively. I wouldn't have missed it. The call was around noonish, so she must have been at work for what, 4 hours? Perhaps she changed it afterward?

Reactions: 1 users
My portal changed. I called TCOM to see how I was supposed to set up the date/time. Caroline said that she would be calling in a week or so once she had the interview dates set.

I can personally attest that this is not true. I submitted my TCOM app with the intention of retaking the MCAT in august. I ended up having my interview on the same day that my score came out.

This is very helpful for me! Thank you! App submitted fingers crossed and while I wait I'm going to make a run at retake!

Also, II calls can take place on the weekend! Caroline called me on a Sunday around 11AM. If you see an (817) number, better to answer it than assume it's a spam call.

-Class of 2021

How are the interviews? 1 vs. 1, group, MMI, etc? Any additional advice to make the process less stressful? Thanks!

How are the interviews? 1 vs. 1, group, MMI, etc? Any additional advice to make the process less stressful? Thanks!
1 on 1 interviews.
2 of them, 30 minutes each. Faculty members. One of mine was an MD and other a DO. Be able to answer the typical standard questions. They only have your essays in front of them, not your stats. Don't bring up shortcomings in stats or red flags you may have had on your application. Know your personal statement. Be confident. Answer the questions and don't ramble off on a tangent.
Reread your own personal statement before your interview to refresh yourself.

The interview was pretty casual, but others had different experiences. Be prepared for an ethical dilemma question.
Have a few questions ready for the end of interview, but something meaningful and specific to TCOM to show it's not just some backup plan to the state MD schools. Show that you are interested in Rural Primary Care if you truly are. The presentation we got was about the school's mission to help address the Primary Care shortage in rural or underserved areas.
Act nice to everyone on interview day even on the hospital tour. I had some patient's family member walk up and ask for directions in the hospital while on tour. You are being watched.

Last edited:
1 on 1 interviews.
2 of them, 30 minutes each. Faculty members. One of mine was an MD and other a DO. Be able to answer the typical standard questions. They only have your essays in front of them, not your stats. Don't bring up shortcomings in stats or red flags you may have had on your application. Know your personal statement. Be confident. Answer the questions and don't ramble off on a tangent.
Reread your own personal statement before your interview to refresh yourself.

The interview was pretty casual, but others had different experiences. Be prepared for an ethical dilemma question.
Have a few questions ready for the end of interview, but something meaningful and specific to TCOM to show it's not just some backup plan to the state MD schools. Show that you are interested in Rural Primary Care if you truly are. The presentation we got was about the school's mission to help address the Primary Care shortage in rural or underserved areas.
Act nice to everyone on interview day even on the hospital tour. I had some patient's family member walk up and ask for directions in the hospital while on tour. You are being watched.

That's awesome! Thank you!

Word on the street (from some UNTHSC administrators I know) is that TCOM is trying to shift to MMI this coming cycle or next cycle.

Word on the street (from some UNTHSC administrators I know) is that TCOM is trying to shift to MMI this coming cycle or next cycle.

A high ranking faculty told me this during my interview last November. Someone from admissions can probably tell you. Next person who gets an II, ask the lady on the phone :D.

Just checked my portal and it says "invited to interview"! Aaaaaaaa! This was a really fast turn around time. I sent in my secondary 4 days ago!

Reactions: 5 users
Question, are there items on your "To Do Items" list?

I have a meningitis request, final high school transcript request, and official community college transcript request. Is this stopping my file to be reviewed?

I have a meningitis request, final high school transcript request, and official community college transcript request. Is this stopping my file to be reviewed?
I can't imagine that's it, I have never sent high school transcripts and usually they don't care about **** records until your in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

No idea why that made it look like a swear word, it was shot record

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have that too! I realized that was the checklist for when I applied to UNT as a highschool senior. I don't think that matters for us now

I have that too! I realized that was the checklist for when I applied to UNT as a highschool senior. I don't think that matters for us now
Ohhhh... makes sense! I was really confused.

Have the II been mostly for IS students? My professor sent in my letter a week ago but it still hasn't been updated on the TCOM portal.

Have the II been mostly for IS students? My professor sent in my letter a week ago but it still hasn't been updated on the TCOM portal.

Just checked my portal, it says I have been selected for an interview and I am OOS!

Reactions: 2 users
When was everyone that got II complete?