2017-2018 UNTHSC Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Logistical Questions: 1. Do they offer student housing the night before interviews? 2. Do they give you breakfast/lunch the day of? Gotta prep my snacks appropriately!
I cannot remember if they offered student housing. But they provided lunch and breakfast (Panera sandwiches/salad for lunch).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No formal student housing, but if you are really in a bind, someone can probably post it on the very active facebook groupS we have.

Is this year's MMIs open file or closed file? I heard that some stations are traditional?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, does UNT require us to bring anything to the interview (i.e. personal statement copies, essay copies, notebook, pictures of self, ect.)
I know it sounds dumb, but apparently some schools expect it and I can't find anything regarding what UNT wants.

Quick question, does UNT require us to bring anything to the interview (i.e. personal statement copies, essay copies, notebook, pictures of self, ect.)
I know it sounds dumb, but apparently some schools expect it and I can't find anything regarding what UNT wants.
Nope! Just bring yourself :)

Is this year's MMIs open file or closed file? I heard that some stations are traditional?

I heard it's MMI with the essays from your application only.

I submitted my application on 9/12. Last LOR arrived 9/20. Received II this morning from an UNKNOWN number. It was Caroline. I nearly cried. It was my first II. UNT is my Alma Mater but I'm not sure if that's a factor.

STATS:
LizzyM 64. GPAs 3.6 MCAT 503

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I submitted my application July 10th and have yet to get an interview. TCOM is my first choice and I'm getting pretty stressed because September is almost over. Is there no chance of me getting in at this point? I have extensive extracurricular activities, 3.6 GPA, and 501 MCAT.

I submitted my application July 10th and have yet to get an interview. TCOM is my first choice and I'm getting pretty stressed because September is almost over. Is there no chance of me getting in at this point? I have extensive extracurricular activities, 3.6 GPA, and 501 MCAT.

They are constantly reviewing and re-reviewing applications! Just because you didn't get an II yet doesn't mean you never will! Hang in there! There's still PLENTY of time in the cycle! There's probably still 3 interview dates left to be filled in October, 3-5 novemeber dates, 3-5 December dates, and a few January dates! So many opportunities still left to interview. Some people submitted before you last cycle and interviewed in December. Don't worry and keep being positive.

Reactions: 3 users

I got interviewed in November and got early acceptance before Christmas, way before a lot of people that waited for the match in February. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
So after we interview, no matter what, the earliest date for a acceptance or rejection is 11/15?

09/15 is the Early Decision program deadline to receive admission decision.
11/15 to 12/31 is the pre-match offer period when schools you interviewed at can extend offers and you can accept it if you know it's the school you want to go to or hold onto your offer(s) and wait for the match during which you will rank both the schools you got prematch offers from and just interviews
02/01 is when the match results are announced (you rank the schools you interviewed at as well as the ones you received a prematch offer from on TMDSAS and they rank you and do a big match)

I believe they can extend rejections at any point but I do not know for sure. Often you will be put on a waitlist rather than flat out rejected if you interviewed.
Also, some people don't get any prematch offers from schools they interviewed at and end up matching in February. Some end up not matching in February but end up on the waitlist and get accepted between February and first day of med school so it's never over until its over

All this is on the TMDSAS website if you want further clarification :)

Last edited:
Anyone have any clue how many OOS applicants receive IIs from here?

Not sure. But with them only having 10% of their seats for out of state (20 or so), they wouldn't interview you unless they were serious about you. Being as post interview acceptance is ~50%, my guess would be about 40-50 OOS interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for the MMI? Interviewing here next week. I've been googling many MMI questions and plan to go over my app a few times.

Any advice for the MMI? Interviewing here next week. I've been googling many MMI questions and plan to go over my app a few times.

I have my interview this Friday. I'll tell you how it goes afterwards! Good luck!

During MMI will we have a chance to write down notes/thoughts before presenting our answer?

During MMI will we have a chance to write down notes/thoughts before presenting our answer?
Nope... you're not allowed to bring anything with you to the MMI rooms! And once you start the first station, there aren't any pauses until you've gone through all the stations. It's an intense lil chunk of time!
Also there have been mixed opinions on stress level -- I actually did find them to be pretty stressful. If you've taken debate or a speech class before, I bet you'd do well! For me it felt much more stressful than my past 1-on-1 interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't understand. I've been complete for almost a month now and I haven't heard anything. My LizzyM is 73. I have lots of community service, clinical volunteering, shadowing, leadership, unique ECs, research, and strong essays and LORS. I didn't just check off the boxes but demonstrated true passion for all that I did. TCOM is my top-choice DO school. I seriously love it so much and I'm just confused why I'm not hearing anything back. Have they already given out all their interviews or are their requirements for OOS just really high?
To put it briefly: don't set your heart on one school.
Yes, being an OOS is a huge disadvantage seeing as this is a public TX school (90% have to be IS). Additionally, TCOM may just be looking for a specific type of applicant that some people just simply aren't. There are plenty of med schools and with stats like yours I'm sure you'll get in somewhere, but every school is different and will be looking for applicants that fit their profile, whatever that may be. This is why applicants apply broadly; you just don't know if the admissions committee at your dream school will like you as much as you like them.

I don't understand. I've been complete for almost a month now and I haven't heard anything. My LizzyM is 73. I have lots of community service, clinical volunteering, shadowing, leadership, unique ECs, research, and strong essays and LORS. I didn't just check off the boxes but demonstrated true passion for all that I did. TCOM is my top-choice DO school. I seriously love it so much and I'm just confused why I'm not hearing anything back. Have they already given out all their interviews or are their requirements for OOS just really high?

I'm in in the same position as you, I had completed everything in May but took my second mcat in June (got a 504)

Hey guys! Interview day here is amazing. Everyone is super friendly and MMI is very low key and fun.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm in in the same position as you, I had completed everything in May but took my second mcat in June (got a 504)
I've also been complete for the better part of 2 months without a word. Hopefully there's gonna be another wave of II coming soon here.

I can second that the MMI was fun! Yes it is definitely stressful not knowing what to expect, but if you go into it with confidence and the mindset that you're gonna make the most of it, it will go smoothly!

Hey guys! Interview day here is amazing. Everyone is super friendly and MMI is very low key and fun.
I can second that the MMI was fun! Yes it is definitely stressful not knowing what to expect, but if you go into it with confidence and the mindset that you're gonna make the most of it, it will go smoothly!

That's awesome. I've heard so many good things from here; I'm excited for mine! Do ya'll have any other tips?

So glad y'all thought the MMIs went well! :claps: Some people on my interview day also described them as "fun" hahaha, then others felt more like I did. Either way, glad y'all loved it! The school is pretty neat. I think the osteopathic manual manipulation (OMM) training sounds so cool!
Edit: Also, if you're interested in OMM, make sure to ask the student tour guides or faculty members you may meet about it (Keep in mind that about 1/2 the class likes OMM and 1/2 doesn't... so your tour guide's opinion of it may not be representative of the majority of the class!) because I don't remember them mentioning it at all in the official orientation.

Last edited:
So glad y'all thought the MMIs went well! :claps: Some people on my interview day also described them as "fun" hahaha, then others felt more like I did. Either way, glad y'all loved it! The school is pretty neat. I think the osteopathic manual manipulation (OMM) training sounds so cool!
Edit: Also, if you're interested in OMM, make sure to ask the student tour guides or faculty members you may meet about it (Keep in mind that about 1/2 the class likes OMM and 1/2 doesn't... so your tour guide's opinion of it may not be representative of the majority of the class!) because I don't remember them mentioning it at all in the official orientation.

Yeah! Don't get me wrong there were definitely ways I could have improved, but the interviewers were not intimidating and scary and the questions weren't as left field as I was expecting like some questions I was practicing with online.

OMM here is very reasonable. Compared to the schedule and grading of the other students posting on sdn, we got it good. : )

Interviewed here today as well. MMIs were much less stressful than I anticipated and actually fun. Everyone at the school was really nice. Pretty fun and relaxed experience overall!

Just interviewed today. It went better than I expected. I am normally really soft spoken, quiet, and not outgoing so that’ll give u an idea. Also, the interviewers didn’t make u feel uncomfortable even if u come up with a stupid answer haha.

I got interviewed in November and got early acceptance before Christmas, way before a lot of people that waited for the match in February. Hang in there!
Could you share your stats please? I still haven't heard back, but found out that the DO physician that wrote my extra recommendation letter just submitted it last Friday...

Submitted my TMDSAS primary and my TCOM secondary on the same day in mid-July. Unfortunately, TMDSAS was not transmitted to schools until almost September, so this school has had my application for about a month now. I have not heard anything and am really crossing my fingers. This is my top DO choice, and as a Texas resident, I really hope I have a shot here. Stats: cGPA 3.67, sGPA 3.44, MCAT: 510. I'm wondering if sending a letter of interest or calling their admissions office would make a difference or if I should just wait it out.

Is the interview open file?
I'm not sure if the interviewers saw our apps prior to the MMIs starting, but I'm pretty sure the only thing sitting in front of them was a stack of evaluation papers!

I'm not sure if the interviewers saw our apps prior to the MMIs starting, but I'm pretty sure the only thing sitting in front of them was a stack of evaluation papers!

Can confirm. I’m fairly sure they hadn’t seen or read my file.

Thanks! Any tips? This is my first interview so I'm not sure what to expect.

Make sure you actuallyanswer the question presented

Also, if you’re towards the end of the interview and you know you’ll have trouble answering the question, add some fluff to the beginning of your answer so the timer cuts you off before you finish the statement :rolleyes:

Make sure you actuallyanswer the question presented

Also, if you’re towards the end of the interview and you know you’ll have trouble answering the question, add some fluff to the beginning of your answer so the timer cuts you off before you finish the statement :rolleyes:

Thanks! I've been going over some basic questions and ethical dilemmas. Would it be okay to bring a padfolio?

Thanks! I've been going over some basic questions and ethical dilemmas. Would it be okay to bring a padfolio?

I reckon it wouldn’t hurt you, but I’d advise against bringing it to the interview. You’ll be allowed to leave your items in the reception room.

I reckon it wouldn’t hurt you, but I’d advise against bringing it to the interview. You’ll be allowed to leave your items in the reception room.

Honestly, just bring yourself. I took my pen to the interview area and they even had to take that up. Absolutely nothing allowed but yourself. On another note, the interviewers know nothing about you. You actually have to tell each interviewer your name.

Does anyone know when TCOM stops offering interviews

Does anyone know when TCOM stops offering interviews
I second this. Since they got my application pretty late after I submitted the secondary in July, I want to know if I still have a chance here.

I second this. Since they got my application pretty late after I submitted the secondary in July, I want to know if I still have a chance here.

I actually asked this question to the guy who gave our orientation. His name is Mike Kennedy, Director of Admissions, and he said interview season ends in January. (he also gave us the hospital tour) IMO your stats are great and he said it's still early so don't worry! And here's a tip when you're there for your interview; sucking up to him won't hurt ;-)

Congrats to those that received an II! I've been complete since 8/17 with a 3.72 GPA and 509 MCAT, should I be worried? I'm in-state and also provided a DO letter in my secondary to emphasize my interest in osteopathic medicine, but I'm concerned if it's getting a bit late in the game or if there's anything wrong processing-wise.

Congrats to those that received an II! I've been complete since 8/17 with a 3.72 GPA and 509 MCAT, should I be worried? I'm in-state and also provided a DO letter in my secondary to emphasize my interest in osteopathic medicine, but I'm concerned if it's getting a bit late in the game or if there's anything wrong processing-wise.

I wouldn't worry. They interview all the way until January, and they interview people every tuesday and Friday. This means there are a lot more chances to get an interview invitation!

Just interviewed here today. I was very impressed. It really has a family vibe and feels really collaborative. One of the faculty members was telling my group about how some students stay at her house when they have short rotations in the area, before going somewhere else. Also it seems like there are a ton of opportunities to rotate in other cities and areas. They also gave us a copy of their match list for their last graduating class, it was quite impressive.

The MMI was not bad at all. Some interviewers were a bit intimidating with their emotionless faces, but it was mostly just active conversations. It didn't feel like something you could really prep for, you just had to be honest and confident.

Thank you guys for your helpful and informative feedback! You have lessened a great deal of my stress related to my chances at this school :)

Great interview experience here today!

October 16th can't come soon enough.....this is my dream school and I'm dying to hear back already!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users