2017-2018 UNTHSC Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing Dec.5th. Anybody know how long it will take for me to hear back from them/???

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was my diagnosis correct today for cervical? Will I redoc?

Absolutely not mandatory. People have even been skipping OMM labs to study for other exams (we get three skips before we fail). All lectures are recorded and they have only dropped the ball for ONE recording this year and it wasn't even the IT department's fault.

Also I know grading is pass/fail, but do they have a high pass and honors pass?

From my interview, I believe high pass and honors is only for years two and three.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also I know grading is pass/fail, but do they have a high pass and honors pass?

No high pass or honors pass for pre-clinical years, but I bet you there's an internal ranking hidden from us. Top 10% of the class is honors for each block.

78 is the "hard pass." They pick this number as a gauge for you to realize that traditionally students that average above 78 passes the boards. Now, this doesn't mean you will fail at 78. The "soft pass" will vary each block and usually is between 71-74~. We have no idea how they calculate the soft pass (some algorithm), but you don't want to be depending on it each block to make it through!

Classes are completely not mandatory since you can watch lectures at home. The majority of the week you'll be out way earlier. Some days you're done before noon. Lectures typically have under 50% of the class in them. Picking and choosing the best lectures to go to seems to work well for me. Some lectures you shouldn't watch at home like radiology, since the professor uses laser pointers to guide you so you don't really want to be lost at home.

A heavy day of "8-5" would be 8-noon classes, followed by a two hour afternoon lab (you'll be in either of two groups, so one group is from 1-3 and the other from 3-5), and then lectures you study at home call "DSAs". Basically you study these DSAs (powerpoint slides) and the next day your lectures are really interactive clicker sessions with some teaching from the professor. Depends on who the professor is, the whole time can just be filled with questions and discussion rather than any teaching. The labs are relaxing to me, so I enjoy them. The schedule is 8-5 I guess if you include these DSAs, otherwise, you just need to be present during labs and exams/quizzes.

Farthest person I know that commuted was driving from Irving. His grade improved once he moved closer, but he was scoring above class average regardless. I've heard of people commuting from as far as Denton. I debated on moving to Fort Worth, but I'm glad I did.

Thank you SO much!

What is it like to have the 8-5 PM schedule? I am currently working full time so I am familiar with the daily schedule but I know it will be different when it is school!

Also, do you know of anyone who commutes to FW? If I am accepted (crossing my fingers for a response on Wednesday), my husband and I are looking at buying a home about 30 min away so that he can continue to work in Allen.

Thanks!
Before I started at TCOM, I was also working full-time - my suggestion would be to try and maintain that schedule/work ethic, and be productive with labs/studying/class during those hours. You will probably still study weekday evenings and spend at least 5-6 hours on saturday and sunday studying because there is just so much material to cover, but it will definitely help you maintain a better study/life balance if you can be very productive during the "workweek," if you will.

My husband and I actually live about 25-30 minutes away from TCOM but in a different area of town (southwest FW), so I make that trek to campus every day. Definitely plan on extra traffic time, especially on exam mornings. I usually leave about 45 minutes before class starts, and then I am there on time. If you get accepted (fingers crossed that you do!!), definitely make sure you and your husband do a date night every week - it's been an amazing tool in keeping our relationship strong while I'm studying my life away the rest of the week lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea when in the day TCOM sends the email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around midnight tonight is the time they will be released according to last years pool
oh my gosh my brain nor my waistline can handle this much stress. Going to sleep to get some peace of mind and to stop stress eating. GOOD LUCK Y'ALL

I was planning on going to sleep and just see if results came out around 9 am or so, but now that ya'll mentioned that it may come out at midnight I can't even close my eyes for more than 30 seconds ;==;

Where are ya'll checking? Portal, TMDSAS, or email? Or perhaps all three at the same time?

TMDSAS still doesn't show any prematch offers... Just email

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On interview day I heard someone saying TCOM specifically releases prematch results on the 16th. Can anyone follow up on this?

On interview day I heard someone saying TCOM specifically releases prematch results on the 16th. Can anyone follow up on this?

I don't remember anyone mentioning the 16th, specifically.
I think they only mentioned the pre-matches starting on the 15th. Er, at least that's what I wrote down...

Accepted by email just now!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted at 8:11!! Woohoo!! First acceptance!!

Reactions: 2 users
Great news guys! What are the celebratory plans!?

Accepted this morning!

Congrats to those who prematched! Hopefully I end up matching, really liked this school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!!!! by email at 8:06am today