**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What did your friends say

He said it wasn’t accurate, more casual than that. He said he’ll send me a list and I’ll let you know when I get it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II today to East Carolina (Brody) SOM... I’m so grateful to God!

I’m loving all these acceptance posts!!! Let’s keep em coming!!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still sitting in the silence squad (tho Im ORM, LGBT so not traditional "URM" by most standards)

Still sitting in the silence squad (tho Im ORM, LGBT so not traditional "URM" by most standards)

Just keep hanging in there! One of my interviews is from a school where most of what I talked about in my secondary was being LGBT.

Reactions: 1 users
What's the book title? For some reason the cover isn't showing up for me in that photo!

“Multiple Mini Interview Mmi: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty “ by Samir P. Desai

Y'all. I got an interview invite to a top 10 med school and 2 acceptances into medical school today. Where I was born and grew up, people don't get to do this kind of stuff. I'm going to be a doctor. Who let this happen? Who let me do this?
I feel you. Where I'm from, people don't go to college, let alone med school. And as of Monday, I have acceptances to a T10 and a UC. Couldn't be happier

Reactions: 10 users
Has anybody else received emails from school saying that they had looked through the Minority Medical Applicant Registry, thought your were a good candidate, and offered you expedited review on your application? I responded and they (Loyola) said they would do so but I was wondering if anyone had anything good come out of it. Thanks!

Has anybody else received emails from school saying that they had looked through the Minority Medical Applicant Registry, thought your were a good candidate, and offered you expedited review on your application? I responded and they (Loyola) said they would do so but I was wondering if anyone had anything good come out of it. Thanks!
what?!?!?! I want that...

I had this experience with Loyola when I submitted back in July (I interviewed in October). It also comes along with a fee waiver for those who are URM but not FAP recipients. I would definitely make use of it. Feinberg doesn't do expedited review but they do offer fee waivers to URM non FAP recipients as well (which I also made use of).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I did. Had above their stats also but did not hear anything at all from them

I did that for a couple of schools. It seemed to go ok (i.e. I haven't been rejected yet) & I was complete sooner at those schools, but other than that idk what benefit it gives you aside from free/reduced secondary fees.

For those of you who get emails from a medical school's diversity office, what kind of questions do you ask them? Or do you just not respond? I'm trying to think of ways I can be more proactive to make my application stand out and express interest.

I haven't been responding, but that would be a good way to stand out & show interest :)

I haven't either, mostly because I don't think the diversity office has any input on admissions.

Well, if the director of the diversity office/department emails you directly I think that would warrant an email back. I got a couple like that, and one pre-interview, that I wish I had replied to. & they might not have much sway, but it could be a good way to make a great impression on the staff there. That counts in different ways base on the school.

For those of you who get emails from a medical school's diversity office, what kind of questions do you ask them? Or do you just not respond? I'm trying to think of ways I can be more proactive to make my application stand out and express interest.

This is a good question. I received letters or emails from many schools and only chose to reply to schools I was interested in attending. From my experience, the diversity offices really like to cultivate a sense of community among their URM students. I reached out to WashU (not sure this school is really known for their excellence in diversity) and the assnt Dean was glad to hold a call with me and put me in touch with some students. I ended up reaching out to an MD MPH student and had a 2hour-long phone conversation. It really motivated me to apply even though their stats are out of this world.

My questions were:
Will I fit in? How does the school interact with the community? How is diversity celebrated on campus? How does the school make sure URM students have an opportunity to shine and use their skills in patient care?

Essentially, growing up as a minority is a different experience and teaches you things that make you a valuable asset in medicine. My questions would revolve around how you can build that at their medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so stressed out waiting for decisions on some of my interviews :(

Hey guys, I'm pretty devastated. Didn't get an acceptance phone call today and am feeling pretty depressed. I am two years out of college and have been at the lowest point of my life trying to gain acceptance to medical school and navigate the real world, all while being broke and having very few close friends or positive support systems. Please keep me in your prayers.
It's tough being inundated with success while you're down and out. I really feel you. I do. PM me if you need to vent/talk. You're not alone!

Y'all. I got an interview invite to a top 10 med school and 2 acceptances into medical school today. Where I was born and grew up, people don't get to do this kind of stuff. I'm going to be a doctor. Who let this happen? Who let me do this?
Yesssss! You deserve all your success!

2nd II!! First Buffalo and now Creighton. Only submitted about a month ago...I hope this is a good sign for more interviews to come!!

Reactions: 9 users
If anyone has interviewed at USC, Jefferson, or Saint Louis, I would love to hear about your experiences. Particularly for USC! All my interviews are in the next month and I am starting to get a little nervous seeing everyone get accepted haha. Thanks!

If anyone has interviewed at USC, Jefferson, or Saint Louis, I would love to hear about your experiences. Particularly for USC! All my interviews are in the next month and I am starting to get a little nervous seeing everyone get accepted haha. Thanks!

USC is pretty conversational and low stress. Just be the awesome person that you are :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Dont let the other people get in your head especially if youre not from an IVY, youll see a lot of that, stay confident and know that you belong there. The interviews themselves were super chill, so chill to the point where i may have let my guard down a little too much. oops

hey y'all so i dont know where else to put this but i know yall will have my back. I was complete at almost 30 schools before labor day and i have only received 2 II and i know i should be happy with those two but i feel like i need more and people are already getting accepted so im starting to get nervous about my entire situation. last night i woke up and checked my phone at 4 AM its pretty bad now lol

Reactions: 8 users
hey y'all so i dont know where else to put this but i know yall will have my back. I was complete at almost 30 schools before labor day and i have only received 2 II and i know i should be happy with those two but i feel like i need more and people are already getting accepted so im starting to get nervous about my entire situation. last night i woke up and checked my phone at 4 AM its pretty bad now lol
If you don't have rejections you're still in the running. Some schools like to do the silent rejction and "hold" which is a nice way of saying "we want to wait and see if our top picks keep us" but as long as you haven't been rejected you're theoretically still in the running. You gotta find a way to stop yourself from stressing! And nail those two IIs! it only takes one acceptance to become a doctor!

Reactions: 3 users
If you don't have rejections you're still in the running. Some schools like to do the silent rejction and "hold" which is a nice way of saying "we want to wait and see if our top picks keep us" but as long as you haven't been rejected you're theoretically still in the running. You gotta find a way to stop yourself from stressing! And nail those two IIs! it only takes one acceptance to become a doctor!
thanks for the response....yeah my stress levels will go down honestly its therapeutic just to type out why im stressed lol

Hi everyone! I'm URM and this cycle is winding down for me soon. I am very grateful to have progressed quickly (yet, painfully) through these months. I applied ~25 programs, secondary for 24, sent in 18 secondaries, II for 14 schools. If you have any questions at this point I'm glad to answer.

edit: I am aware that many are still waiting for II and I withdrew my app from many of those schools as soon as I could.

thanks for the response....yeah my stress levels will go down honestly its therapeutic just to type out why im stressed lol

you totally got this. I think the saying "3 and a doctor you will be" saying is really true--it is at least likely from a probability perspective. You only need one more! That MCAT is so awesome that you got a great shot at each interview and those "silence" schools.

An edit: I forgot to mention this, but I got into my state school! I was quietly (kinda) sitting in disbelief during an entire lecture today when I read it, haha. I withdrew from schools that gave me IIs this past week too! Many spots are just beginning to open now, even though these interviews are a rolling process

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
you totally got this. I think the saying "3 and a doctor you will be" saying is really true--it is at least likely from a probability perspective. You only need one more! That MCAT is so awesome that you got a great shot at each interview and those "silence" schools.

An edit: I forgot to mention this, but I got into my state school! I was quietly (kinda) sitting in disbelief during an entire lecture today when I read it, haha. I withdrew from schools that gave me IIs this past week too! Many spots are just beginning to open now, even though these interviews are a rolling process
congratulations!! and thanks man, why do you think your cycle progressed so quickly? did you apply very early or did you just have a really good app?

congratulations!! and thanks man, why do you think your cycle progressed so quickly? did you apply very early or did you just have a really good app?

Thanks! I applied mega broadly (from unranked to the top 20s) and somehow have been blessed from each tier. I think it was a combination of luck, LORs (which I guess were good), and my life story--I sold myself as a mature person with a variety of interests. Honestly, though, I don't know why exactly I've had good news. I applied in early-mid August, but honestly, stay patient. I've had the majority of my IIs in October/late September. Some places are really random with timing. I can't stress the importance of luck. In this insane process, you can get rejected from a midtier, waitlisted by another, and accepted to a top 20. And of course there are location and undergrad biases, something I have noticed on almost my interviews.

Last edited:
II today to East Carolina (Brody) SOM... I’m so grateful to God!

I’m loving all these acceptance posts!!! Let’s keep em coming!!
Congratulations!! Recently received my acceptance to Brody, such an amazing school!!

This post is so positive and nurturing. Wish I was a URM so I could be in this thread! Sending love and positive vibes

Reactions: 11 users
Sending some positive, Friday vibes to all my fellow URMs. Have a great weekend, and relax, yall! :headphone:

Forgot the dangers of bringing up URM/disadvantaged in the wider world of school-specific threads lol. My question of whether I would be considered as a diversity-based mission applicant subsumed into the “anybody can be considered ‘diverse’ if you parse finely enough” argument... anyway, nbd just quiet around here and want to hear more from ya supportive crowd! Anybody have any exciting news to share??

I got my second acceptance yesterday, and had my sixth interview today, so I'm pretty darned excited about that - mostly about the fact that I don't have anymore interviews coming up yet, so I can get a little rest. It's been a crazy month!

Reactions: 14 users
Anyone still completely in the silence squad? I've only bee complete for about a month but I know I'm not the only one, haha.

When you go in for a doctor’s appointment at your home institution and come across a med school interview group :corny:

First time posting on this thread since I didn't know it existed! Any other TX rezzies anxiously waiting for Nov 15? :whistle:

When you resist commenting on URM related "discussions" in the school specifics for so long, but then one just gets ya and you have to try to be diplomatic whilst reading everyone. Smh I have a whole assignment to do and yet +pissed+. #:troll:

Lol Happy Monday y'all!

Reactions: 7 users
When you resist commenting on URM related "discussions" in the school specifics for so long, but then one just gets ya and you have to try to be diplomatic whilst reading everyone. Smh I have a whole assignment to do and yet +pissed+. #:troll:

Lol Happy Monday y'all!

URM TEAM, ASSEMBLE!

Reactions: 9 users
Lulz, found the offending convo in your history... one person who re-kindled that argument in the Harvard thread is the same one who made me feel like crap with a comment on the OHSU thread last Friday. I didn't engage with them, though part of me still wishes I did... makes me feel better in a strange way to know I wasn't being overly-sensitive and reading too far into their comment, given that they do indeed seem to be sipping the hate-o-rade

Bahaha! I'm sorry that happened to you (just checked your history as well) but ole' boy is swimming in it...his post was the one that got me though it wasn't the one I quoted (someone else had already given him his due :p)

They're lucky I wasn't there to sound off. I was popping off over CASPer not too long ago. They don't want the work I'd give them for URM related topics.

I'm always too ready to get into it with others outside of this subsection