**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guy,

I know this is the forum for the previous cycle, Im just looking to see if I can post my stats here for some general advice on where I stand. I am AA male 25 yrs old. 3.56 GPA, 3.53 sGPA. I have decent EC including, volunteering, ER scribe, 1 year of research, TA, science tutor for middle school and high school students. I also have a strong letter or rec from my university's pre-med committee. Just your overall generic applicant with these stats; but my biggest hurdle is the MCAT. 489 the first time, 492 the second time and 498 on the third :/. I have been studying again for it but I just have a hard time breaking 500 on my practice exams; especially with CARS. I don't feel confident this time around either. So I am unsure if I will actually take it again. What do you guys think? I have any chance at any school?? DO school? I am not sure what to do at this point. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guy,

I know this is the forum for the previous cycle, Im just looking to see if I can post my stats here for some general advice on where I stand. I am AA male 25 yrs old. 3.56 GPA, 3.53 sGPA. I have decent EC including, volunteering, ER scribe, 1 year of research, TA, science tutor for middle school and high school students. I also have a strong letter or rec from my university's pre-med committee. Just your overall generic applicant with these stats; but my biggest hurdle is the MCAT. 489 the first time, 492 the second time and 498 on the third :/. I have been studying again for it but I just have a hard time breaking 500 on my practice exams; especially with CARS. I don't feel confident this time around either. So I am unsure if I will actually take it again. What do you guys think? I have any chance at any school?? DO school? I am not sure what to do at this point. Thanks!!
Personally, I wouldn't recommend taking the MCAT a 4th time until you feel ready to make a big improvement from your last one. Medical school admissions are becoming more and more competitive every year, so please take as much time as necessary to work on this. But I must say, I have taken the MCAT 5 times myself (18, 487, 492, 500, 499). My cumulative and sGPA were 3.7+, but with English being my second language, I've always struggled in the CARS section as well. Honestly, around August last year, I thought that I was going to have to go to a Caribbean Med school, but because I'm also stubborn and persistent, I applied last cycle anyway (6 MDs, 26 DOs, and SGU in the Caribbean). Despite the odds, I lended 14 interview invites (12 DOs, 1 MD in-state, and SGU), only attended 6 (4 DO, 1 MD, SGU), and to my greatest surprise I got 2 DO acceptances. SGU also accepted me, but I dropped that immediately obviously. This is to say that I was in your place last year, and I know how depressing it can be, but I made it on the other side because I wasn't willing to give up even if that meant going to an island. Maybe the schools liked my GPAs, or maybe my ECs, but now I also know they liked my effort and resilience. On accepted student day, one of the faculty members at the school I'm going to attend this Fall approached me specifically and said "I remember reviewing your application, and the first thing that came to mind was this guys doesn't have any quit in him". I had never been so proud of constantly pushing forward since I immigrated in the US 7 years ago. But that also might have something to do with my personal experience with poverty, natural disasters, and horrible healthcare growing up in my original country which is the reason I'm pursuing a medical career in the first place. Anyway, whatever it takes, you must keep pushing forward and don't ever look back at your past mistakes because they will only slow you down. Stay motivated, be persistent, and be confident in your ability to get past this and make it in medical school. Your effort will be rewarded.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
@lenspx
Hey man, that's really great news. I am really happy to hear that you found success. I know my MCAT score is really holding me back, but I just don't feel that I have it in me to retake it. I work 50+ hours overnight which leaves me with very little study time. Maybe if I apply very very early I will have a shot somewhere. It really does not matter which school as long as its in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
@lenspx
Hey man, that's really great news. I am really happy to hear that you found success. I know my MCAT score is really holding me back, but I just don't feel that I have it in me to retake it. I work 50+ hours overnight which leaves me with very little study time. Maybe if I apply very very early I will have a shot somewhere. It really does not matter which school as long as its in the US.
If your 498 is well-balanced (no section score lower than 123), and if you have good GPAs (preferably 3.65+ for both), you might have a chance like I did especially at the newer DO and in-state schools. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I’m just a lowly M0, but I don’t think I’ve ever been to a school that’s particularly URM-friendly. It’s never bothered me. I go to the places that are best-equipped to get me to where I need to go. But I’m also not the kind of person who requires “nurturing” or “support” or the other things that HBCUs or other URM-friendly schools are known to provide. So, for me, it’s not so much about the scholarship (although there’s a lot I would put up with for a full ride) as it is about being at a school with excellent research and networking opportunities. As long as nobody is physically injuring me, I can deal with a hostile environment. “Hostile environment” is also pretty subjective. Some people are not as easily offended as others.

This basically describes my outlook on life. In an ideal world we would all love to attend super diverse schools but that’s not reality. Although I do think many are making a conscious effort to reflect their surroundings, so I think the OP will be fine in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone get in here with a 2.9 science, 510 MCAT, and 3.4 cumulative? And which schools if you don't mind me asking. Asking for a friend applying soon. Thanks!

Hey all. After finally getting down to studying for the MCAT (for the umpteenth time) I check my email this morning to find I have been accepted to medical school. It's been the dream for so long I don't even know how to process this information. Thank you all for your support throughout this process, it's kept me sane. Luv you all :)

Reactions: 36 users
Hey all. After finally getting down to studying for the MCAT (for the umpteenth time) I check my email this morning to find I have been accepted to medical school. It's been the dream for so long I don't even know how to process this information. Thank you all for your support throughout this process, it's kept me sane. Luv you all :)

I am sooooooo happy for you! Congratulations!

Reactions: 2 users

Yay!!! Now throw away your MCAT stuff and celebrate!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Yaaass! Where did you get into?

judging by the URM acceptance thread we killed it this cycle. Where is everyone ending up? Any cross country moves? Staying close to home?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna be 30 mins away from home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going 5 hours north of my current location! Off to the snow

Congratulations! :D

I'm going to be about 3 hrs from my current location and about 4 hours from home :)

I'm going to be about 3 hrs from my current location and about 4 hours from home :)

Congrats!

I remember you being very supportive and I'm so pleased things are working out.

I'm across the country too, but I've been here for the past two years. I didn't think I'd stay here for school! I'm a little homesick.

judging by the URM acceptance thread we killed it this cycle. Where is everyone ending up? Any cross country moves? Staying close to home?

Moving to Detroit, so 3 hours away.

I’ll be an hour away from where I am now, but 2.5 hours from home. Not too bad!

Last edited:
My school is 5 minutes away from where I am now but 4 hours from my home base... just how I like it lol

Going back to where I went for undergrad! 1hr15mins from home

I will be moving halfway across the country. Got my last acceptance of the cycle last week and will be attending that school :)

I'm curious to know what or how many extracurriculars you guys plan on being involved in? I don't want to get too over involved!

I'm curious to know what or how many extracurriculars you guys plan on being involved in? I don't want to get too over involved!

I am definitely gonna try and find a free clinic that I like. My school has 5, so it'll probably take a few weeks (or months) to find which one fits me. We have an acapella group that I wanna join. There's a mentoring organization that I wanna get involved with. And I'll probably start looking for research in Octoberish, once I am adjusted to school. I've read to EC's don't really matter for residency, so really only do stuff you're passionate about.

I am definitely gonna try and find a free clinic that I like. My school has 5, so it'll probably take a few weeks (or months) to find which one fits me. We have an acapella group that I wanna join. There's a mentoring organization that I wanna get involved with. And I'll probably start looking for research in Octoberish, once I am adjusted to school. I've read to EC's don't really matter for residency, so really only do stuff you're passionate about.
I know I want to do SNMA, an interest group in the speciality I want to go into, maybe AMWA, research, and volunteer in the community. I just didn't know if that was going the most.

I know I want to do SNMA, an interest group in the speciality I want to go into, maybe AMWA, research, and volunteer in the community. I just didn't know if that was going the most.

Oh yeah totally forgot about SNMA, definitely gonna do that. My school is hosting the SNMA midwest regional conference, so if you're in the midwest maybe I'll see you there! You just have to make sure your classes are your top priority. I am gonna slowly add more stuff to my schedule until I feel like I am at a good level of EC's. Most clubs/organizations allow to do more/less depending on how busy you are with class.

Anyone here still on a med school waitlist and looking at a reapp? Need a shoulder to cry on :depressed:

Hey y’all Happy Summer! I’m in the midst of working on secondaries for the 2019 cycle and could really use some help on how to talk about repeated coursework. Anyone have any tips? Thanks in advanced!

Hey y’all Happy Summer! I’m in the midst of working on secondaries for the 2019 cycle and could really use some help on how to talk about repeated coursework. Anyone have any tips? Thanks in advanced!
I would recommend you don't dwell on them. Mention them and acknowledge any mistakes you made in your undergrad, but also speak about what you've learned from the experience and how you have improved since. If speaking about them in a personal statement, I would say keep it under three sentences. Goodluck!

lmao at my interview date my school had like 3 black people talk to me and I was like "wow must be hella diverse if all these URMs got time to spare with me". After finally looking at acceptance demographics and the facebook group, little did I know that I was talking to 80% of URMs within a mile radius. BIG adcom finesse
How do you look at their acceptance demographics? Is this info available prior to April 30th?

Hey guys! I'm a Jamaican-American second year DO student and I would love to answer questions that you guys have about medical school. Also, I have just started a youtube and my hopes are to get more people of color interested in medicine while also giving real tips about what being in medical school is like. If you're interested you can watch my latest video: or if you have any burning questions feel free to send me a message. =)

Hope y'all are killing that first year! Almost done with 1st year!! WE CAN DO THIS!!

For those of us who have finished or will soon finish our first year of medical school, what was it like being someone from an underrepresented background? Share some highs and lows?

Is anyone on here still trying to get in? How can we help?

Reactions: 3 users
For those of us who have finished or will soon finish our first year of medical school, what was it like being someone from an underrepresented background? Share some highs and lows?

It was definitely hard for me. I didn't realize how much I value being in a diverse environment (even having lack of diversity in the black community is frustrating). At this point, I'm working hard to network and go to a residency program that values the same things that I do.

It was definitely hard for me. I didn't realize how much I value being in a diverse environment (even having lack of diversity in the black community is frustrating). At this point, I'm working hard to network and go to a residency program that values the same things that I do.

I can echo that feeling. The lack of diversity definitely hits me, especially when it comes to sharing challenges that are unique to being a 1st generation immigrant. The second thing I would say has been hard is finding a mentor, I think I got close to that at the end of the year but I will not be at my home institution for the summer... so tbd on that.

Cannot think of anything else right now. But random idea: should we make a group me? probably will get spammers at some point lol but it might be interesting