2017-2018 Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 officially wait listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have an estimate of how large the waitlist will be?
I have an offer elsewhere, but it'll be out of state and the COA will be very high.
+1 waitlist. I'm in the same boat as you, hoping I get accepted somewhere that costs less. I would guess 100-200 people on the waitlist. Last year they sent out around 90 acceptances, but they ran a really late cycle, so it's hard to say what their yield will be (the 50% yield they had last year is pretty high).

I'm glad I'm not the only one. A lot of people have been unsupportive of my choice, but at the end of the day mental health and what I personally like>>>everything else. However, I am just a little worried about me worrying about myself changing my mind about pursuing PC and possibly the ranking of this school, and its future, etc. I could just be overthinking though.
How it affects residency opportunities is a valid consideration. It'll likely be more difficult to match with certain residencies due to it being a new school that is establishing itself (extracurricular opportunities, research, prestige with residency directors, etc.). If you're intent on PC, WSU looks like it will be a great choice though. I chose WSU over UW for my undergrad and it was definitely worth it as far as personal happiness is concerned; great community and highly supportive faculty really show what it values as an institution.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. A lot of people have been unsupportive of my choice, but at the end of the day mental health and what I personally like>>>everything else. However, I am just a little worried about me worrying about myself changing my mind about pursuing PC and possibly the ranking of this school, and its future, etc. I could just be overthinking though.
I read your previous post, and I think you’re making a poor choice. Of course, it isn’t a choice until the waitlist moves, I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 waitlist. I'm in the same boat as you, hoping I get accepted somewhere that costs less. I would guess 100-200 people on the waitlist. Last year they sent out around 90 acceptances, but they ran a really late cycle, so it's hard to say what their yield will be (the 50% yield they had last year is pretty high).

How it affects residency opportunities is a valid consideration. It'll likely be more difficult to match with certain residencies due to it being a new school that is establishing itself (extracurricular opportunities, research, prestige with residency directors, etc.). If you're intent on PC, WSU looks like it will be a great choice though. I chose WSU over UW for my undergrad and it was definitely worth it as far as personal happiness is concerned; great community and highly supportive faculty really show what it values as an institution.

I have no clue but 100-200 people sounds really high. I'm hoping its more like 40 with 20 or so getting a call.

Got waitlisted this morning but withdrew my application because I've confirmed UW. Good luck to everyone hoping for a seat! Hopefully more seats will open as accepted and waitlisted students withdraw!

Is anyone comfirming their waitlist position without an update letter? I’ve only continued experiences that I already included in AMCAS and don’t want to be repetitive and annoying. Thoughts?

Waitlisted. I don't feel as though I've done anything huge since my AMCAS submission (mainly just continuing those experiences), so I feel kind of awkward about not sending an update but still really relieved to not be rejected!

Also, I'm currently on the other side of the world and it's 2:45 here but I can't imagine who would be sending this email at 2AM local time. Hopefully they get some sleep lol

Did you end up sending an update? I can’t decide! I don’t want to look lazy for not writing one.

I read your previous post, and I think you’re making a poor choice. Of course, it isn’t a choice until the waitlist moves, I suppose.

Alright, so I know there is no way to get around my bias, but here is my opinion - being totally cognizant of that bias. Without a doubt, go to the school that you felt was a better fit for YOU. Of course the natural reaction is to say UW over WSU without even thinking about it - but don't sell yourself short by not taking the time to actually appraise the situation. So here's my input, especially to both @mybluedog and @futuredocmebbe based on your posts :

First, don't just listen to people on SDN/meddit/etc. This is an important decision that you need to make based on the merits and with deliberate intention, based on what is best for you. Don't let other people guilt you into a decision one way or another. This decision effects the next 4 years, and more broadly, the rest of your life.

Go where you are going to be most successful. It doesn't matter the rank of the school, if you aren't in an environment to succeed. Rank/prestige/connections will count for nothing (also ranks are not a direct indication of quality, in fact, many of the factors that influence rank have nothing to due with student success or ability at all, such as research funding), if you aren't somewhere where you are healthy and living up to your fullest potential. Go where you will grow as a person, feel you will fit in, feel supported. If you are depressed, if you aren't comfortable, again, nothing else will matter. ESFCOM has been unbelievable supportive, and every single one of my classmates makes me better every day. The two things I'm most thankful for are my classmates/the selections adcom made (seriously, I cannot stress enough how good of a job they did with our class), and how adaptive and open the school has been. Being the first class, there has obviously been bumps in the road. But every single time, the school takes the time to listen to what us, the students, have to say and makes adjustments. That is not something you'll typically get.

I went to UW undergrad, and it was literally my dream school from day one. I came back to school after a first career with the sole intention on getting into medical school, and dreaming of it being UW/WWAMI. But after now 2/3 of a year done, I can honestly look back and say that I am where I am supposed to be. So...take your time, and make a well thought out decision. The "feeling" you get from schools is important. I interviewed at 6 programs, and I could tell the minute I left interviews which places would fit me best and where I should be. Those feelings matter. Med school can be soul crushing at times, and if you don't have a support system, and if you aren't somewhere you feel supported, you WILL struggle. Upwards of 30% of medical students at some point receive care for mental health issues. I feel like this never gets talked about, but if you are somewhere where you don't feel you belong or doesn't feel right, you will struggle.

So with that said - if you are accepted and are coming to second look, I highly encourage to pay attention to how the school makes you feel. Ask about how they are going to support you. Ask current students what they think of the program. We will be honest about our opinions. I never sugar coat things when talking to applicants, and my classmates won't either (I'll be at second look btw). I will be blunt and tell you what is working, what isn't, and things I hope will change. But I'll also tell you without hesitation I feel fully supported, and that I have an entire staff that is working their a$$es off to make our school all that it can be for us.

Also don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have questions. I promise I'll answer what I can, or do my best to get you an answer if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Any accepted students hanging around that could comment on this year's class community placements? I'm on the waitlist and I don't want to be presumptuous but I'm just wondering if I'll have a choice if I end up getting a call.

Alright, so I know there is no way to get around my bias, but here is my opinion - being totally cognizant of that bias. Without a doubt, go to the school that you felt was a better fit for YOU. Of course the natural reaction is to say UW over WSU without even thinking about it - but don't sell yourself short by not taking the time to actually appraise the situation. So here's my input, especially to both @mybluedog and @futuredocmebbe based on your posts :

First, don't just listen to people on SDN/meddit/etc. This is an important decision that you need to make based on the merits and with deliberate intention, based on what is best for you. Don't let other people guilt you into a decision one way or another. This decision effects the next 4 years, and more broadly, the rest of your life.

Go where you are going to be most successful. It doesn't matter the rank of the school, if you aren't in an environment to succeed. Rank/prestige/connections will count for nothing (also ranks are not a direct indication of quality, in fact, many of the factors that influence rank have nothing to due with student success or ability at all, such as research funding), if you aren't somewhere where you are healthy and living up to your fullest potential. Go where you will grow as a person, feel you will fit in, feel supported. If you are depressed, if you aren't comfortable, again, nothing else will matter. ESFCOM has been unbelievable supportive, and every single one of my classmates makes me better every day. The two things I'm most thankful for are my classmates/the selections adcom made (seriously, I cannot stress enough how good of a job they did with our class), and how adaptive and open the school has been. Being the first class, there has obviously been bumps in the road. But every single time, the school takes the time to listen to what us, the students, have to say and makes adjustments. That is not something you'll typically get.

I went to UW undergrad, and it was literally my dream school from day one. I came back to school after a first career with the sole intention on getting into medical school, and dreaming of it being UW/WWAMI. But after now 2/3 of a year done, I can honestly look back and say that I am where I am supposed to be. So...take your time, and make a well thought out decision. The "feeling" you get from schools is important. I interviewed at 6 programs, and I could tell the minute I left interviews which places would fit me best and where I should be. Those feelings matter. Med school can be soul crushing at times, and if you don't have a support system, and if you aren't somewhere you feel supported, you WILL struggle. Upwards of 30% of medical students at some point receive care for mental health issues. I feel like this never gets talked about, but if you are somewhere where you don't feel you belong or doesn't feel right, you will struggle.

My opinion (that's all it is) that @mybluedog should choose UW over WSU has very little to do with prestige and nothing to do with rankings. It was in response to specific reasons he/she cited for leaning toward WSU. I posted from my phone so that wasn't clear. For that, i apologize. I'll try to be more specific now.

Reading through his/her threads/posts about choosing WSU over UW reveal we're comparing UW-spokane vs WSU. So literally everything is equal apart from the cost and education. Right? location/family/support are all the same and UW is cheaper.

His/her overall argument goes back to "fit" and warm fuzzies at interview day. I get it. I interviewed both places and WSU did a better sales pitch. Dr. T is good at sales pitches. He gets hired to start up med schools. Read his bio. He starts an MD school then he moves on to another one. Don't expect him to stick around. As far as resources go, I expect WSU to get better every year, but for now UW is in a different league.

What you should be more concerned with is the education you'll be getting. pre-clinicals are the same almost anywhere, so really just look into the clinical years. WSU hasn't sent anyone to clinicals yet, and they'll only have done it once by the time you'd go. Last time I looked (before i withdrew my A) they only had a few community program relationships set up. On the other hand you have the highly regarded and well established WWAMI program.

Also look into how a physician becomes clinical faculty at UW vs WSU. Very different.

Lots of other stuff too, but my whole point is to not make this decision based on the interview warm and fuzzies. There are lots of potential good reasons to choose WSU over UW, but the swag/sales pitch comparison isn't one of them.

I'm not even sure where to start with that. But for starters, I'd be careful about giving advice about things you don't actually know about or only have partial information (you're making a bunch of broad statements that are either a) factually incorrect, b) based on incomplete information or c) are purely based on your own judgements). For example, would you like to tell me about how many preceptors/partnerships are currently setup in each clinical campus? Or how about any easy one, what facilities are students CURRENTLY working at in Vancouver? How about how many sites have they partnered with for when we are not in intersession but when everyone is in Spokane? Because the giant stack of liability/policy papers I signed begs to differ with the information you are presenting, along with my clinical schedule next week, and all the different facilities I've already worked at. The only reason I'm even bothering to respond to your post is that it's important to point out some errors in what you are talking about for other people who are viewing this thread. Like for instance, UW is not cheaper - tuition is $35,571 ESFCOM vs $35,745 UW total estimated cost of $56,928 ESFCOM vs $57,533 UW - before you even include any scholarships (which every person received).

Also as a current medical student, who has a number of friends across multiple years at multiple schools, including at both campuses for UW - I can tell you strictly from an education perspective, UW is not all that different. I was just having a beer last night with 2 friends who are current 2nd year UW students, and we have had a bunch of classes and curriculum that they were jealous of and were clearly taught better, and they had some classes that were better than ours. Education/classroom wise we are very equal.

I'd also like to hear what you know about how a physician becomes clinical faculty at UW vs WSU. Because I'm going to hazard a guess and say that you don't know as much as you think you do.

Here's our profs for our next block/system starting Monday

"Dr. Novan has garnered numerous awards. The most recent award was the Richard M. Tucker Excellence in Teaching from the UW Department of Medicine, a lifetime achievement award. He has received the UW Department of Medicine WWAMI Excellence in Teaching award four times (in 1998, 2002, 2009 and 2011). He has received the University of Washington School of Medicine WWAMI Distinguished Teacher Award twice (in 2002 and 2009). In 2009, he received the WSU Spokane WWAMI Teacher of the Year award. In 2008, the Washington Chapter of the American College of Physicians awarded him their Laureate Award for commitment to excellence in medical care, education and service to the community. The Spokane County Medical Society named Novan its Spokane Physician/Citizen of the Year in 2010."

along with

Dr. Palpant: Clinical Associate Professor, University of Washington, SOM, 1985-present, Associate Director, Internal Medicine Residency Spokane, 1985-2016, Teaching Awards: 1999, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, Physician/Citizen of the Year: 2001, Spokane County Medical Society, Osler Prize for Humanism: 2015 – Spokane Society of Internal Medicine, Distinguished Leadership Award with spouse Judy Palpant: 2016, Whitworth University

And lastly, of course swag and sales pitch stuff isn't a reason. But as a medical student, I can tell you that the impressions you get at an interview and during the process, is more than "fuzzies" and speaks about a program and culture. And even if Dr. T left tomorrow, it would have very little direct impact on your education. Yes it's important having someone like him steer the program long term (finances, vision, etc), but a culture and plan has been laid out and the people currently working will continue that.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to trust that @mybluedog knows what's best for them, their mental health, and happiness. Medical school is going to be hard and those things will be important in making you successful. Nobody here can say that UW isn't better established, but it isn't without it's problems. WSU will have to prove themselves once their STEP scores and match lists finally come out, but I get the impression that their students are getting a solid education and are happy. At the end of the day it's really none of our business where this person ends up going and it's a personal decision. I doubt any ofothis back and forth is helping and likely probably causing more anxiety about the decision. Mybluedog you seem like a genuinely thoughtful person and I'm sure either entering class will be lucky to have you in their ranks. Make the decision that you feel is best for YOU after considering everything both schools have to offer. I'm biased and hope to see you come to UW, but either way congratulations on being a fellow MD class of 2022!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
27b1wm.jpg

Dr. T is good at sales pitches. He gets hired to start up med schools. Read his bio. He starts an MD school then he moves on to another one. Don't expect him to stick around.

I just want to speak up because I know misinformation can propagate unintentionally and I'm sure that wasn't your intention. The quoted statements above are incorrect; I suggest you carefully re-read the available info on the Founding Dean's background. He has had varied roles, most recently (prior to ESFCOM) as the Dean of Chicago Medical School. It is grossly unfair to characterize him in the way you might a real estate developer; he's a physician devoted to public service, not a record producer marketing his newest boy band. (And even if you were correct and his professional skillset as a medical school administrator amounted to 'being a pro at getting a medical school opened and off the ground,' this should mean he won't be cutting and running with anything half done. Very few people have the chance to be a Founding Dean of a medical school, and I don't think he takes the opportunity lightly.) It's also worth pointing out that Dean T. got his masters at Gonzaga, just across the river. This wasn't just a random job for him. His skillset, background, and ties to Washington are all part of why here's here.

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you everyone for the support and helping in this process! I think both are really excellent schools. For now, it’s coming down to WSUs student support and UWs prestige for me, I wish I could have both. I’m super excited for second look (not the 5hr drive), and hope to meet some of you there!
Go Washington!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone received their FAFSA information?

Last edited:
Some of my thoughts about second look for those who couldn't attend but still are thinking between schools.
I saw they recorded almost every session. So be sure to watch those. The below is just my thoughts and are not meant to convince you to or not to attend ESFCOM.

-everyone is very supportive, ranging from admission staff, faculty, and med students. I definitely got the vibe that feedback is heavily considered from the med students and they've worked out a good # of kinks to welcome their second class. Med students are definitely heard here.

-there was a lot of concern from incoming students about 3rd-4th year. Questions ranged from "what is 3rd/4th yr going to be like? how are clinicals graded? what are some things you are concerned about going into clinicals, (the LIC, the longitudinal integrated clerkships)" and it turned me off A LOT when most med students would say "I don't know. I just trust the administration." or "I think this is going to happen, but I think they are working on it." In my small group rotation, someone brought up something about the 3rd yr LIC and I think a med students said "I never heard about that." It seemed like second look was giving out some new information even the med students didn't know there. I got that vibe, but I hope the current med students do know about it. I think it is good to show that students have a good and very trusting relationship with the admin ppl, but I'd also love to see students being very conscious about their next few yrs. I think they are also trying to work out the issue of having 30 ppl now at each learning community than the current 15.

-Some things I didn't know about the LIC until saturday. 1-2 yr: you are living in spokane and traveling to your learning community during intersession three times/yr (unless you're spokane). You can live in your community homestay fam's home or at your own place. (I think it is so cool that ppl in the community are so supportive of this school). 3rd yr: instead of doing 6 different core rotations at different places. you do one big rotation that includes the 6 core specialties. 4th yr: electives + audition rotations. There might be some concern about doing audition rotations at other schools bc one of the clinical deans said ESFCOM would also need to intake outside students, but also said this was no biggie. It seems like you have the option to rotate at the other community sites, but some clinical deans seemed not wanting to be firm about it, I know that would cause a lot of additional work. I think the LIC is such a cool idea and I'm so glad ESFCOM is doing it along with other med schools (ie. harvard). I am however concerned about staying in one place for too long.

-They kept talking about following the same pt around during the LIC. I'm not really sure what that means. I can totally see how tht may expose you to the different specialties, but not sure how varied that can get.

-during your intersessions, you will be the only ESFCOM med student assigned to that attending for that day/half day. I love the fact med students here already have experience with a variety of specialties (EM, FM, IM, Peds, Ortho, Gen Surg, etc.) during the intersessions.

-During the intersessions, you very much work 1-1 with your attending. Rarely there is a resident or someone else. You will be scrubbing in to assist or actively participating in the healthcare team. This is something a med student can never get at during a rotation with harborview or uwmc. Maybe in a more rural area in the WWAMI states. It also sounds like ESFCOM has their learning communities pretty on board for their own students. UW students don't really rotate at those places, of course except in spokane.

-3rd and 4th yr: you do not take 6 separate NBMEs. You take a cumulative exam at the end. (they said maybe a mid-point check but not sure). (this is the question the med student didn't know about) To me, this cumulative exam sounds scary, I hope they have some sort of checkpoint to keep everyone on their toes, just like the step 1 checkpoints.

-most of the students have done some sort of suture closing up or intubation during their intersessions, which I think is very cool. I did not like when some students were saying UW doesn't do things like that until 3rd yr and "look at us, we are better" because of that. I think these experiences are cool to have to keep me as a med student motivated about medicine, they should not be advertised to me to choose this over other schools. Let's be honest, me suturing on a pt during first year is not going to make me that better of a physician. (UW has an immersion orientation for the first 2 weeks where you practice taking H+P, CPR, suturing, etc. It's nice to talk about what the school offers, but I don't like it when someone trashes on another school. This trash talk happens at both schools.)

-the admin people said LORs would be more high quality bc of the longer LIC. I agree to an extent. That happens if my primary preceptor and I hit it off well. What if you are stuck with an attending that just doesn't fit well with you and they are kind of your only choice to ask for LORs?

-I wish there was more talk about students who were in the shoes of choosing between schools and why specifically they chose ESFCOM>XXXSOM. I know this can be a difficult topic. I'm sure ESFCOM knows that being a new school is a big concern for a lot of people, and I felt like it would've aided if they had students be straight up and talk about that.

-dedicated step 1 time: you are given 4 weeks according to the curriculum. Note that this is NOT "dedicated" step 1 time. You are also scheduled with "intense simulation for clerkships" and "some final exams" When someone brought it up, they said 1)these don't take that much commitment. Maybe ppl have different definitions of "intense" and "final exams" than me 2)some students said they study step 1 with their lectures bc of the way the curriculum is structured, so you don't really need "dedicated" time. Idk how important "dedicated" time is, but I'm thinking about the MCAT, and taking classes+working was stressful with it for me. I do like their step 1 checkpoints after every term, but I don't know how useful that is. They also had to get questions outside of the US, from England, because their students have already practiced with the US step questions? I don't know if they meant what they said, but thats very sketchy/weird to me. (ESFCOM med students said the 18 months curriculum at UW stresses ppl out and leaves little time to study for step. I'm not sure if that is true bc UW has 6 weeks of true dedicated step time which also gives you time to retake if needed. I can see how 18 months is a little more stressful than a 20 months curriculum)

-they bought all the students Sketchy for microbiology. I can really see the school is trying to do its best to up that step score. Even if I don't go here, I hope ESFCOM blows step 1 out of the water and beats UW with their step scores. That would be hell of a card to play.

-most incoming and current students are either married or have kids. This could be not representative of the whole C/O of 2021/2 class though. Some thought about this: I think this school is so so awesome (better than UW) for someone married and is planning for kids or already has kids. Rotations seem stable location wise and a good place for kids to grow up. I don't know anything about secondary education in spokane compared to other cities. If I were putting my kid through a new school system, I'd want to look at how they are doing compared to the state standard, and also see if my SO would be able to find a job they like, etc. The small spokane community allows for little travel time to places and lots of outdoor activities to do with a SO or the kids if you want to go to ID/hikes/mountains/ski resorts. Some traveling/work/school changing might be required for M2->M3 transition if your learning community is not spokane. Spokane is cheaper than the west side - great deal for loans, some of the places are a little old/rough for me.

-Bruce from valbridge property management was fantastic. I wish he spoke a little bit about buying houses in the area as most of the information was about renting apartments, this might've been more important for people with family. Maybe Rich might've been a more appropriate person to present that. I'm glad one of the med students talked about buying a house and preparing to rent it out to future students during a panel. And I have no doubt I can hit Rich up and talk about it.

-med students do not feel locked in to practice in their learning communities nor do they feel pressured to go for FM. It seems to me there is a good mix of specialties ppl want to pursue. Some admin person did say they want 50% of the class to go for FM, which I think is reasonable. I hope 80% of the students stay in WA or their learning communities for their future practice!

-I very much am interested in participating or leading student-run clinics. They currently have something called "BAVI Health". It is not setup, but it seems like there will be some volunteering opportunities maybe mid-way through C/O 2022's first year. They have a bunch of interests groups, ranging from ortho, FM, IM, ultrasound (with UW), etc. When someone in my group asked what they did in those groups, they just mostly said all were getting started and one said it has been very hard starting clubs as some people might not be interested. I get it. During the resource fair, there seemed to be some activities the whole health sciences did, but no clinical stuff. I can see BAVI Health being successful though.

-sounds like financial aid packages will coming out this upcoming friday 4/13. Acceptees should make an appt with one of the financial aid ppl to talk things through. It was helpful for me, bc I'm clueless about loans.

Comments for the school/second look planners:
-thank you! I know how much work goes into events like these.
-the food was great. the breakfast was especially bomb, those egg things and sausages though!! I wish we ate before all the talk on saturday, I was starving 8-9, but I understand that may take away from the talking at tables.
-Having students and clinical deans at the tables during breakfast and lunch was really nice. It really shows the friendly atmosphere.
-print out a copy of the year-year and term-term curriculum for everyone. No one can really learn about the curriculum with a laser pointer pointing to blurry text and colored boxes. Maybe I'm just a big planner, but I want to see the timeline. I know there is a term-term curriculum online, but the year-year is always blurry and it makes me dizzy every time.
-maybe prepare a FAQ for the volunteer med students, so they can speak a little more than "I don't know." on very specific questions. I know they don't know everything, which is fine, but maybe a list (not script) to guide their thoughts would be nice.
-the most useful session of all was the rotating student panel. I would have preferred it to be three rotations but make all of them "open student question", because the "relocation/living in spokane" one was a little quiet since we were trying to stay on topic
-the guy from valbridge property management is awesome. I hope ya'll send the presentation soon or upload it to slack. Toward the end it got a little repetitive, but its ok. Having the price breakdown and comments about the area was nice.
-Kyle's presentation on the community home stay was enjoyable.
-Rich's excel sheets on budgeting and willingness to dumb big money concepts down is wonderful!
-the friday social was cool, I think it would be even better when they have events created and do more things.
-I read on slack that we would be getting ipads+the whole package deal like C/O 2021, I was surprised that wasn't mentioned as a perk.

Overall, I'm not sure if this school is the right fit for me. In 10 yrs, I can totally see ESFCOM getting onto the same or even surpass UW's playing field in a different sense. I wasn't convinced too much that 3rd/4th year is completely setup and ready to go and I think I'd be very stressed out helping provide feedback to things and create new student groups in addition to my studies. I love the small classes and attention I'd get from ESFCOM, but for now, UW's prestige is hard to beat. I've never come off as someone wanting to attend ivy league schools, etc. but it sounds like reputation during the match process plays some sort of role. I haven't heard back from UW yet being an alternate, so if things don't work out, I know I'll still be trained with top physicians and resources in our state to get that sweet MD. I also hope in the future UW and ESFCOM med students can just chill out about being rivals and appreciate we are going to be the front liners of Washington's or the US' future health.

I know I might get some hate for this, but again, I thought it might be helpful to share my thoughts for ppl still deciding and future applicants.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone heard of any waitlist movement yet? I know we probably won't see much before the end of the month but waiting is so hard.... :|

Has anyone heard of any waitlist movement yet? I know we probably won't see much before the end of the month but waiting is so hard.... :|

Nope. Last cycle it wasn't until beginning of May that someone was pulled off the waitlist.

Anyone else doing the post-interview feedback?

I know someone who recently did a post-interview feedback over the phone.

Do you know if they found it very helpful?
I think so. To me, these opportunities can be driven by you and by the questions you ask. Be sure to have a good list of questions going in.
Don't just call without some concrete questions and don't be shy to follow up if they didn't say something you understood. Just remember they are there to support you! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if they found it very helpful?

After my first cycle I found the feedback calls very helpful from various places. Just make sure you do it with enough time to actually implement any suggestions they might have, the next cycle is quickly approaching! Most of mine were more clerical/writing style type things, which were easy fixes that I most likely wouldn't have known to do. (I.E. I changed how I wrote all my activities sections to focus more about what I got out of them the second time, where the first time they were more on the "here are the things I did" resume style-ish).

Also

30 people vs 15 people at each learning community shouldn't be much of an issue, from my understanding we won't be there at the same times. As far as us not knowing details of LICs, it's more so because it's developing fairly rapidly. It's not because we are just blindly trusting (we do have plenty of student involvement and a killer student council team) - but med school apparently eats up most of your time studying, and staying up on finer details isn't high on (at least my) priorities in the middle of a block. ;) I'd also suggest looking a bit into how they work (I'm shooting from the hip after a day with wayyyy to much Sketchy and Anki so forgive me for any mistakes)...basically you have set days of the week different specialties, but if your patient comes in to have some visit, you'll get notified and can go to their appointment wherever they check into. So you're not just with one attending - also I believe we have more than just 1 exam at the end, I'm pretty confident that we have a mid course one as well. It's a pretty cool setup that I'm excited for!

I hope everyone that attended had a good second look, and always don't hesitate to reach out if you have any specific questions!

Withdrew my acceptance today, best of luck to everyone on the WL!

Withdrew my acceptance earlier today. Hope it goes to one of you!
I love ESFCOM so much and it was really hard to click the send button :(

Withdrew my acceptance earlier today. Hope it goes to one of you!
I love ESFCOM so much and it was really hard to click the send button :(

I think we interviewed on the same date. Was looking forward to the big reveal, but I'll look forward to getting off the WL and taking your seat instead. :laugh: please and thank you.:xf::xf::xf:

I think we interviewed on the same date. Was looking forward to the big reveal, but I'll look forward to getting off the WL and taking your seat instead. :laugh: please and thank you.:xf::xf::xf:
haha maybe. Best of luck on getting off the WL! <3 ESFCOM 4ever

Any news for waitlisters? Just got an acceptance from another school (Finally) and have to decide by the 15th... I don't want to bug ESFCOM too much but would like to know sooner rather than later what my status is on the waitlist.

Last edited:
Any news for waitlisters? Just got an acceptance from another school and have to decide by the 15th... I don't want to bug ESFCOM too much but would like to know sooner rather than later what my status is on the waitlist.

I’d def email or call them on the 10th or a few days before the 15th. They know people have deadlines to meet, and if you are high on their waitlist, they wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity! Congrats on the acceptance!!

Any news for waitlisters? Just got an acceptance from another school (Finally) and have to decide by the 15th... I don't want to bug ESFCOM too much but would like to know sooner rather than later what my status is on the waitlist.
Nothing yet. On the edge of my seat. Last year waitlist movement began on 5/3/18...Maybe tomorrow?

I’d def email or call them on the 10th or a few days before the 15th. They know people have deadlines to meet, and if you are high on their waitlist, they wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity! Congrats on the acceptance!!

That's what I was thinking, wait a week or so to check in. Would love to attend ESFCOM if given the chance. I have similar sentiments to you about the school. Congrats to you as well on your acceptances!

I had my interview feedback call today and the lady I talked to said that she believes (not positive) they have already been calling people on the waitlist during the last few days. So idk I guess there has been movement just not much here on SDN.

So, has anyone here been accepted from the waitlist yet? I still have some hope...

Nope haven’t heard anything. The fb page also hasn’t added any new members recently (with the exception of 1 new person a week ago).

Anyone brave enough to call and ask about waitlist movement?

Anyone brave enough to call and ask about waitlist movement?
Just called - there has been movement on the waitlist up to this point, so I would assume all available spots would have been offered?

Just called - there has been movement on the waitlist up to this point, so I would assume all available spots would have been offered?

Thank you for calling and updating us. Much appreciated.

Got the call! Still have hope team! So excited to go to ESFCOM!

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think that means there’s no hope for the rest of us? I want to go here so bad!

Congrats to those accepted and keep the hope going for those who haven’t heard yet! Anything is possible, there has been people thatve been accepted a few days before orientation!
I’m so excited for our WA peeps!!

^ Exactly, I was the last person in - and it was just before classes started and only like 4 days before I started at a different school. It's not over until it's over.