2017-2018 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if they've got a student host program?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an II on Tuesday, replied the same day, and still haven't received a confirmation email. Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if they've got a student host program?
Hello, current student here, they don't advertise it but I've heard if you ask they will try to set you up with someone. I didn't use it, I stayed at a hotel about 20 blocks from there because it was the cheapest I could find somewhat nearby. I hope it works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to make a successful in the area request? Just sent mine in, flying to NYC first and interviewing at Cornell would save me a lot of money and a second trip to the east coast. Fingers crossed.

Currently trying to choose schools: Why did you choose Weill on your school list?

Currently trying to choose schools: Why did you choose Weill on your school list?
U serious? It's a top private school in Manhattan

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users

Lol check out their website for just 10 min and I guarantee you'll fall in love.

Really collaborative curriculum, the Tri I institution, SO many concentrations, well-rounded extracurriculars to help ground you, volunteer activities to add depth to whatever topic you research, and it's in the concrete jungle where dreams are made of.

It's my absolute top choice if you couldn't tell haha. Just submitted today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
They've got a little bit of everything and everyone. By far one of my top choices in NYC just because of the sheer variety of opportunities :eek: but explaining why Cornell to my non-medically-oriented, always-lived-in-tiny-towns parents proved pretty difficult lol so I can imagine it isn't for everyone

Anyone down to do practise interviews over skype? PM me!

Anyone else experiencing difficulty getting into the secondary website?

Anyone else experiencing difficulty getting into the secondary website?

For anyone in future struggling with this:

It ended up having to do with my computer's firewall or some kind of computer specific issue. I used a different computer, and it worked fine.

Good luck all!

Hi all, just wanted to offer some insight into the school that I have been offering to people who have messaged me.

What Weill has to offer: Great research opportunities (dedicated research time, so many labs/researchers), great facilities (Sloan Kettering, HSS, Rockefeller, NYP, etc.), nice integrated curriculum that emphasizes physicianship and learning clinical skills early, top academic hospital (nationally ranked) with numerous affiliates across NYC and the country, amazing location (not far from downtown or Central Park if you want to go, but the Upper East Side has enough food/activities to keep you occupied).

Some other great perks: free iPads, great study spaces (library, PBL rooms, etc.), cheap+close dorms (extremely cheap for location and right across the street from the school), endless recreational and service organizations (soccer, dodgeball, free clinic, community screening clinics, etc.).

One thing I've been very impressed by is the faculty--the faculty really does seem to care about us and our well-being. They constantly make it clear what resources we have available to us if we face struggles, don't understand something, etc. They have been extremely receptive to shadowing or research opportunities in my experience. Our lecturers so far have been so approachable, personable, intelligent, etc.

In addition, all of my classmates are very chill and collaborative. The curriculum makes for a collaborative environment (true P/F in pre-clinical years, PBL's, etc).

Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, just wanted to offer some insight into the school that I have been offering to people who have messaged me.

What Weill has to offer: Great research opportunities (dedicated research time, so many labs/researchers), great facilities (Sloan Kettering, HSS, Rockefeller, NYP, etc.), nice integrated curriculum that emphasizes physicianship and learning clinical skills early, top academic hospital (nationally ranked) with numerous affiliates across NYC and the country, amazing location (not far from downtown or Central Park if you want to go, but the Upper East Side has enough food/activities to keep you occupied).

Some other great perks: free iPads, great study spaces (library, PBL rooms, etc.), cheap+close dorms (extremely cheap for location and right across the street from the school), endless recreational and service organizations (soccer, dodgeball, free clinic, community screening clinics, etc.).

One thing I've been very impressed by is the faculty--the faculty really does seem to care about us and our well-being. They constantly make it clear what resources we have available to us if we face struggles, don't understand something, etc. They have been extremely receptive to shadowing or research opportunities in my experience. Our lecturers so far have been so approachable, personable, intelligent, etc.

In addition, all of my classmates are very chill and collaborative. The curriculum makes for a collaborative environment (true P/F in pre-clinical years, PBL's, etc).

Good luck!

Cornell wasnt on my radar initially, but you guys all seem to love it there. Thanks for writing this up

Is Cornell receptive to in area emails?

When you say "yes", did you get an interview invite soon after, or did they just add your request to your file?

Well I didn't do an ITA email because I live in NY but per their website they say they are receptive and they list an email address where you can send the ITA email to. Also pretty sure other people in this thread have sent them an ITA and received an interview soon after.

Well I didn't do an ITA email because I live in NY but per their website they say they are receptive and they list an email address where you can send the ITA email to. Also pretty sure other people in this thread have sent them an ITA and received an interview soon after.

Ahh ok thanks! Maybe I'll try that. I've sent emails to some other schools but they just added it to my file, which doesn't really help me unless they happen to review my file and also have the dates I need at the same time, if you get what I'm saying (the time of review of my application doesn't change)

Where on their website are you finding this information?

Where on their website are you finding this information?
Did you get a complete email? In the complete email it says:

"If you have been invited to interview at a medical school in New York City or its vicinity, you are welcome to send us an e-mail message letting us know the exact dates you will be in the area."

I emailed them about two weeks ago; they said they added the info to my file but I haven't heard back. I think it's a crapshoot but it doesn't hurt, I guess.

"If you have been invited to interview at a medical school in New York City or its vicinity, you are welcome to send us an e-mail message letting us know the exact dates you will be in the area."

I emailed them about two weeks ago; they said they added the info to my file but I haven't heard back. I think it's a crapshoot but it doesn't hurt, I guess.

Well with Harvard and Columbia in your back pocket its only a matter of time :p

Found it on their portal. I'm assuming it is just the admissions email address that we send the ITA notice to?

Found it on their portal. I'm assuming it is just the admissions email address that we send the ITA notice to?
Yep, I just sent it to the wcmc-admissions one. Good luck!

Let's hope, my dude. It's been a roller coaster since I also got my first two rejections yesterday and today. And now a second Thursday meeting at work; what else will go wrong today????

It's really poor form to try and name drop other interviews in an in-area email imo

It's really poor form to try and name drop other interviews in an in-area email imo

He was just being kind about the other good fortunes I've had. I did not name drop, and never would, in my ITA emails.

lmao can you imagine "cornell, you had best ii me up rn because harvard wants a piece of this too, xoxo"

Reactions: 8 users

Let's hope, my dude. It's been a roller coaster since I also got my first two rejections yesterday and today. And now a second Thursday meeting at work; what else will go wrong today????

I also received a Pittsburgh rejection today. Seemed odd to me as I thought I was a great fit EC and stat wise. I see your profile seems to fit their class demographics too. Oh well, solidarity can be found among those in the reject pile!

Reactions: 1 users
I also received a Pittsburgh rejection today. Seemed odd to me as I thought I was a great fit EC and stat wise. I see your profile seems to fit their class demographics too. Oh well, solidarity can be found among those in the reject pile!

8a9.jpg

Aye! Also rejected from Pitt today lol

Thanks! Although I'm starting to second guess sending an ITA email. I'm relatively close to the NYC area, although
Pitt reject too!

For people who have interviewed, do we need to bring a notebook or do they give us a folder where we can take notes?
Just out of curiosity, what do you write down at a medical school interview day! I've seen multiple people so this and I'm curious.

Just out of curiosity, what do you write down at a medical school interview day! I've seen multiple people so this and I'm curious.

Nothing major. At the first school I visited, we had presentations before our interviews so I wrote down any additional questions I thought up during the presentations to ask during my interviews. They also told us about FAFSA deadlines and when we could expect to hear back so wrote that down as well.

Nothing major. At the first school I visited, we had presentations before our interviews so I wrote down any additional questions I thought up during the presentations to ask during my interviews. They also told us about FAFSA deadlines and when we could expect to hear back so wrote that down as well.
Gotcha, that's good info the remember. I thought everyone was writing down Step scores or something so I'm relieved to hear that's not the case haha.

What do you exactly say in the "in the area" emails? Do I just let them know what dates I will be in New York and that I'd appreciate if they accommodate me? Or do I also have to state my desire to attend school there?

For current students: If my interview supposedly ends at 3pm, would I have enough time to catch a 7:55pm flight from LGA back home?

For current students: If my interview supposedly ends at 3pm, would I have enough time to catch a 7:55pm flight from LGA back home?

I think so! I don't know if you'll actually be done at 3:00pm though, it would probably be later than that (I think afternoon interviews start at 2:45pm at the earliest)

What do you exactly say in the "in the area" emails? Do I just let them know what dates I will be in New York and that I'd appreciate if they accommodate me? Or do I also have to state my desire to attend school there?
Just keep it short and polite. Don't bother telling them that you want to go there.. they know that already.

Is it okay to refer to this school as "Cornell"