2017-2018 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II whoah!!!! I never thought this would happen!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"When I grow up, I wanna be famous, I wanna be a-- screw that I wanna be like @twentyeightmiles"
- someone somewhere, probably

(congrats, you're killing it!!!)
I just saw your signature for the first time and... is this real life? How many Nobels do you have?
Help, I'm being overwhelmed with kindness! :love: Thanks you guys -- definitely zero Nobels here, just one increasingly broke pre-med in a constant state of shock...

Reactions: 2 users
CONGRATS!!!!!Complete date? And how many of you happy people are from the NY area? Do they interview local first? Out Of Town first? Is there a method to the madness? :yawn: Just wondering.

Thank you, nice people. You got the stats. but you also have the hearts to be Great docs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, nice people. You got the stats. but you also have the hearts to be Great docs.
Lol.. exactly why I cringe Everytime I see the Reddit threads that go..SDN Is so bad bla bla

Reactions: 3 users
Can any current students comment on the PBL/CBL aspect of the curriculum? The website mentions that these small group activities are incorporated into the curriculum, but I cannot find more information regarding the division of small-group v. lecture-based learning.

Can any current students comment on the PBL/CBL aspect of the curriculum? The website mentions that these small group activities are incorporated into the curriculum, but I cannot find more information regarding the division of small-group v. lecture-based learning.

Yep! We have PBL twice per week, about 1.5 hours each. It is basically going over a patient case (often based on real cases) that present at the hospital and you and your classmates work together with the facilitator to decide what it could be, what tests to order (e.g. blood count, EKG), and ultimately come up with a diagnosis. Overall, it is very low stress and it is there to reinforce concepts we learn in lecture in more of a clinical setting. They are mandatory, by the way.

We also have a small group for the physicianship/clinical skills part whereby we practice interviewing our classmates, discuss medical ethics, practice physical exam techniques, etc. This takes up one morning per week. Every once in a while we will have an OSCE during this timeslot in which we practice what we have learned with standardized patients. These are mandatory.

Some weeks we have small group problem-solving activities to help reinforce concepts we are learning in lectures, but these are rare. They are optional and for your own benefit, though.

I have highly enjoyed my small groups as they reinforce the concepts in lecture and it's a great way to get closer with your classmates.

Anyone know how flexible they are with their January completion date for pre-reqs? This seems extremely odd and seems like a really inconsequential thing to specify since most schools only require the completion of pre-reqs prior to matriculation.

Anyone know how flexible they are with their January completion date for pre-reqs? This seems extremely odd and seems like a really inconsequential thing to specify since most schools only require the completion of pre-reqs prior to matriculation.

Right?? I'm taking my last couple prereqs this semester just to be sure, but it didn't make much sense to me.

Right?? I'm taking my last couple prereqs this semester just to be sure, but it didn't make much sense to me.

I'd email the admissions department, but I don't want to give them a reason to reject me lol. I guess they already have that information since I they have my completed coursework, so maybe I'll just wait until I hear something from them.

Last edited:
Withdrew a few days ago post-II, since I just couldn't see myself making it back to NYC this season. Good luck everyone! :)

Reactions: 8 users
Withdrew a few days ago post-II, since I just couldn't see myself making it back to NYC this season. Good luck everyone! :)
You mean post interview invite but didn’t actually attend the interview?

You mean post interview invite but didn’t actually attend the interview?
Yep, exactly that. I received the invite last week and decided to withdraw before scheduling a date. :)

Reactions: 1 users
WOW. GREAT NEWS. Complete date please?

Here's good news for those who were complete early... I was complete 7/7...we're still in it!! Literally dates as early as next week available to interview!

Reactions: 7 users
Here's good news for those who were complete early... I was complete 7/7...we're still in it!! Literally dates as early as next week available to interview!
Bless your soul for giving us all hope

Reactions: 4 users
Just out of curiosity, why are you posting instead of your son?
He is not active here and I watch regularly most of these forums. Just happen to create an account today and hence posting few messages. Will be silent viewer soon again.

I am going to be in NYC from Nov. 10-13ish for an interview... Does anyone think that an ITA update would be inappropriate/unable to be accommodated this close to then?

Do people refer to the school as "Cornell" or "Weill Cornell." In other words, I assume in a written piece you use the full name once. After that, which 'shorter version' is preferable?

For the secondary you can say WCMC or WCM after saying the full name once (that’s what I did). But Weill Cornell is probably the better of the two!

So I know that the school doesn't really have a true portal. I checked it today just for old times sake and after I enter my AMCAS ID and DOB, the "application status" box is just blank. It used to say something along the lines of "thank you for your submission." I know it's neurotic, but has it looked like that for anyone else? I haven't heard anything since my complete email.

Mine says the same "your application is now complete" but I wouldn't read too much into your box being blank. It's probably a technical error.

So my application is MIA, lol jk ty

Does anyone know if they send out pre-II rejections for the MD-only program before the end of the cycle? If so, how early do they do so?

This is REALLY random, but for those who interviewed -- do they give you a pen here on interview day?

Not that I recall so probably bring your own.

Reactions: 1 users
I know that Cornell is receptive to ITA emails, but if I already sent one before and didn't interview the first time around, would sending a second one be frowned upon if I'm coming back to NYC?

I know that Cornell is receptive to ITA emails, but if I already sent one before and didn't interview the first time around, would sending a second one be frowned upon if I'm coming back to NYC?
I wouldn’t send a second one but that’s just me.

I wouldn’t send a second one but that’s just me.

I would think it depends. How long were you complete for at Cornell when you sent in the last ITA email? They might have not seen your app the first time around/by the time they did, they may have not had any more slots left for your intended dates. In all honesty, I don't think they are going to reject you if you send in another ITA email. I know people who have in the past and they've matriculated at those schools since then.

Don't send 2 ITA emails. Doing that will make you come off as needy or entitled. Both are not good looks.

Don't send 2 ITA emails. Doing that will make you come off as needy or entitled. Both are not good looks.

Just curious, why do you say that?

EDIT: Just saw your edit. I would think that most schools understand how costly it can be to book multiple flights and/or take or take off from school/work. To each his own I guess.

Man I would've loved to send Cornell an ITA email if I didn't live so freaking close to it...

Could someone please tell me what the general format for an ITA email should be, and who to send the email to?

Just curious, why do you say that?

The general consensus here which I fully agree with is to minimize contact with the office of admissions. That means 1 ITA, 1 pre II update/interest, 1 post decision update/letter of intent MAXIMUM. They already saw the first ITA and took it into consideration when giving out interviews during the time that you were going to be in New York. Sending another one would just annoy them. Also keep in mind Cornell interviews 1/6 of the people who apply. Continuously sending them ITA requests when you're in New York may paint the picture that you are entitled to an interview, which in turn will make them not interview you.