2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I decided to go ahead and create a Facebook page for the accepted students of the class of 2022! Please feel free to join, but only if you are certain that you are attending here! :)

www.facebook.com/groups/wvsom2022/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys quick question. Did you send a thank you email to all 3 of your interviewers and did you personalize each one or send the same one to all 3. I don't want to look lazy or cheesy by sending the same one but how "personalized" can it get when you're basically having the same conversation with all 3 while interviewing. Thanks

Guys quick question. Did you send a thank you email to all 3 of your interviewers and did you personalize each one or send the same one to all 3. I don't want to look lazy or cheesy by sending the same one but how "personalized" can it get when you're basically having the same conversation with all 3 while interviewing. Thanks

I sent a thank you email to all 3 and tried to make it as personalized as possible. If you didn't have something specific come up with any of the interviewers I would try to change the wording or just use different sentences! They will appreciate it either way though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent a thank you email to all 3 and tried to make it as personalized as possible. If you didn't have something specific come up with any of the interviewers I would try to change the wording or just use different sentences! They will appreciate it either way though :)

Great, thank you

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview this weekend 09/29. Im landing in Pittsburgh where my inlaws live and driving 4 hours to the interview. If anyone wants a ride I got you! Also wondering, what is the percentage of interviewees that receive an acceptance? I read somewhere that is very high.

I have an interview this weekend 09/29. Im landing in Pittsburgh where my inlaws live and driving 4 hours to the interview. If anyone wants a ride I got you! Also wondering, what is the percentage of interviewees that receive an acceptance? I read somewhere that is very high.

I interview here this Friday too! And I second that, I heard they only interview are 350-400 and accept 300-320. But don’t quote me on this lol

Based upon a website I viewed, in which the author states they got their information from the 'US News and World report'*:
≈390 are interviewed, ≈360 are accepted, ≈210 matriculate.
However, take it with a grain of salt, because
*edition (year) not specified.

I think this speaks volumes about WVSOM, however. They do not appear to over-interview people (which is good; if they're not truly interested in you, they will save you the $500+ in travel costs), and people seem to like the school so much that they actually choose to attend once they are accepted.

Edit: these numbers arise from ≈5,000 received applications (based upon the CIB).

Finally complete. Just got my DO Letter in today. Do you think it will hurt my chances being complete this late? I don't have the best stats but lots of extracurriculars.

II. Anybody get an interview invite for November 17 too?

Finally complete. Just got my DO Letter in today. Do you think it will hurt my chances being complete this late? I don't have the best stats but lots of extracurriculars.

I emailed the admissions program manager to inform her my D.O. letter was submitted. She replied with she is confident my file will be given serious consideration. Hoping to hear some good news soon!

GOT THE ACCEPTANCE PHONE CALL!!! I'm still shaking and literally balled while on the phone. I am so excited to be apart of the WVSOM community and for those of you who have interviews in the future, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you get there. Still so surreal. I interviewed yesterday on 9/25 for anyone wondering and hope to see more acceptances from my awesome group yesterday

Reactions: 10 users
Submitted my secondary on 08/14, MCAT 499 and 3.6 sGPA. I did get an email 08/22 that my application would be considered later down the road due to the large volume of applications. For those of you accepted or offered II, do yall think I have a chance?

Funny- your stats are identical to mine. 499 MCAT 3.6 sGPA 3.5 cGPA... and I was offered an II on 08/22 and am now scheduled for early October.

From what I understand of WVSOM they look at a lot more than just stats. They're really trying to find what students would be the best fit for the school. So of course you have a good chance based on stats alone but I think an even more deciding factor will be your EC's and LOR's. I only say that because I imagine lots of apps come in with stats around ours, give or take.

So I turned in my secondary on 8/2. I have been complete for around 1 and 1/2 months, my checklist has had the letters, disciplinary questions, and supplemental application uploaded for well over a month as well. My status is still "application under review." Should I reach out to them or just continue to be patient? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny- your stats are identical to mine. 499 MCAT 3.6 sGPA 3.5 cGPA... and I was offered an II on 08/22 and am now scheduled for early October.

From what I understand of WVSOM they look at a lot more than just stats. They're really trying to find what students would be the best fit for the school. So of course you have a good chance based on stats alone but I think an even more deciding factor will be your EC's and LOR's. I only say that because I imagine lots of apps come in with stats around ours, give or take.

Thats great and I think thats how medical school admissions should be! Do you know what kind of students they are looking for? ie who is a good fit for the school?

Also got accepted today!!!! I interviewed yesterday (9/25) as well.

Reactions: 5 users
GOT THE ACCEPTANCE PHONE CALL!!! I'm still shaking and literally balled while on the phone. I am so excited to be apart of the WVSOM community and for those of you who have interviews in the future, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you get there. Still so surreal. I interviewed yesterday on 9/25 for anyone wondering and hope to see more acceptances from my awesome group yesterday

Also got accepted today!!!! I interviewed yesterday (9/25) as well.

Yay congrats you guys!!! So exciting!

Accepted today! Interviewed yesterday as well! So excited I honestly can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, guys! I got an interview invite at WVSOM for a November date. Does anyone know the best way to get there from Chicago? Unfortunately, I've been having a bit of trouble finding how to get to Lewisburg. Thanks

Hey, guys! I got an interview invite at WVSOM for a November date. Does anyone know the best way to get there from Chicago? Unfortunately, I've been having a bit of trouble finding how to get to Lewisburg. Thanks

I flew from Milwaukee and landed in Richmond, VA and rented a car there. It's about a 3.5 hour drive to Lewisburg but it was well worth it - so much cheaper than the smaller airports and the drive is gorgeous!

Congrats to everyone who has been getting accepted! That is awesome. You're going to be doctors!

Just wondering since you guys were successful in your interviews.. how did they go? what type of questions were you asked and what kind of preparation would you recommend? Thanks and congrats again!

Congrats to everyone who has been getting accepted! That is awesome. You're going to be doctors!

Just wondering since you guys were successful in your interviews.. how did they go? what type of questions were you asked and what kind of preparation would you recommend? Thanks and congrats again!

Not to be entirely cliche, but this is one of those interviews where I felt like I didn't need to prepare for it. The conversation is very natural, and as long as you know your application/are a decent person you should be fine! I don't remember any curveball questions during my interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Not to be entirely cliche, but this is one of those interviews where I felt like I didn't need to prepare for it. The conversation is very natural, and as long as you know your application/are a decent person you should be fine! I don't remember any curveball questions during my interview.

Was it the general why medicine, why DO, why our school questions with some stuff about your experiences?

Was it the general why medicine, why DO, why our school questions with some stuff about your experiences?

That's pretty much how my interview went. They asked me those questions, but I would say they did so more indirectly (and more personally as well versus just blatantly), and wanted me to integrate my experiences into my answers. It was extremely conversational.

So I turned in my secondary on 8/2. I have been complete for around 1 and 1/2 months, my checklist has had the letters, disciplinary questions, and supplemental application uploaded for well over a month as well. My status is still "application under review." Should I reach out to them or just continue to be patient? Thanks!
I am wondering the same thing. I have been checking my portal at least once a day, hoping for that "application under review" to change haha. Would love to interview at this school...

I am wondering the same thing. I have been checking my portal at least once a day, hoping for that "application under review" to change haha. Would love to interview at this school...

I wouldn't rely too much on your application under review status. Mine still said that even after I interviewed.

Also got a call today from WVSOM! I missed it at work and won't be able to call until tomorrow so I'm hoping it's an acceptance call :) Interviewed 9/22.

So in my portal a week ago I noticed that it showed my letter of recommendation had been uploaded. I emailed them yesterday to see what my application status was. I received a reply back today telling me that there was a change in my application and that I have been invited for a personal interview. I was told that I will receive details later.

Has anybody who has interviewed not been accepted?

I agree with what everyone else said but yes, a lot of the questions were very general but also open to talk about your experiences. I also had questions asked that were tailored to my application so make sure you know what you put in there well! Overall the interview was very conversational and much less stressful than I expected. Everyone is so nice!

For those of you who were accepted, do you recommend investing in an entirely new laptop for school or using the one that WVSOM provides (I've had the same laptop all throughout high school and undergrads - it's time for a new one). While speaking with some of the med students, they didn't seem like the best advocates for the laptops provided by WVSOM and mentioned that they were "a bit slow but still doable to work with". I'm torn if I should drop over a grand on a reliable laptop or suck it up and use the one I'm given by the school. What're you guys doing?

For those of you who were accepted, do you recommend investing in an entirely new laptop for school or using the one that WVSOM provides (I've had the same laptop all throughout high school and undergrads - it's time for a new one). While speaking with some of the med students, they didn't seem like the best advocates for the laptops provided by WVSOM and mentioned that they were "a bit slow but still doable to work with". I'm torn if I should drop over a grand on a reliable laptop or suck it up and use the one I'm given by the school. What're you guys doing?

I have been thinking about this too -- I'm not sure when we find out what kind of laptop we will be getting, but I was hoping we would find out a bit before school starts in order to make that decision. During the lunch we had with the students on interview day, I believe one of them told us that the laptops they give you are equipped with certain software that are required for exams, and if you don't use them you're liable if anything happens during the exam like the software malfunctioning or it turns off, etc. (I believe she was referring to using a PC vs a MAC)

I wonder whats the success rate of people getting an interview and accepted off of the deferred list

Decision deferred email received this morning as well as it is listed in the portal. Has anyone been offered an interview this cycle that was on the deferred list or previous classes?

Decision deferred email received this morning as well as it is listed in the portal. Has anyone been offered an interview this cycle that was on the deferred list or previous classes?
I was

I have been thinking about this too -- I'm not sure when we find out what kind of laptop we will be getting, but I was hoping we would find out a bit before school starts in order to make that decision. During the lunch we had with the students on interview day, I believe one of them told us that the laptops they give you are equipped with certain software that are required for exams, and if you don't use them you're liable if anything happens during the exam like the software malfunctioning or it turns off, etc. (I believe she was referring to using a PC vs a MAC)

That's true. I was thinking about using WVSOMs laptop solely for exams and then having my own laptop that I'm comfortable with for studying/watching lectures/everything else. We have some time to think about it!

That's true. I was thinking about using WVSOMs laptop solely for exams and then having my own laptop that I'm comfortable with for studying/watching lectures/everything else. We have some time to think about it!

That's actually a really good idea! I never thought about that

I got that email back in early August and just got an II. There's hope!

Just got an interview! Portal has not updated, but I emailed to check my status and they told me I was selected for an interview

Any recently accepted students receive an email or notice a portal change yet? My portal still says under review.

Just got an interview! Portal has not updated, but I emailed to check my status and they told me I was selected for an interview

Nice! What day you going?

Any recently accepted students receive an email or notice a portal change yet? My portal still says under review.

It takes awhile for the portal to change, so just give it a little time. I received my official acceptance email three business days later than my acceptance (09/07 interviewer here), and once I saw that email my portal had been updated to say accepted.

It takes awhile for the portal to change, so just give it a little time. I received my official acceptance email three business days later than my acceptance (09/07 interviewer here), and once I saw that email my portal had been updated to say accepted.

Thanks!

I was accepted on 9/13 and I received an acceptance email and portal change on 9/18

Received acceptance call yesterday on 9/26 and just got the official email a few mins ago actually. Haven't checked the portal yet but that shouldn't matter lol

Received acceptance call yesterday on 9/26 and just got the official email a few mins ago actually. Haven't checked the portal yet but that shouldn't matter lol

Yes I also received the email probably 30 mins after posting that! Portal changed as well!

II earlier today! anyone know what the earliest date is for an interview?

Last edited:
II earlier today! anyone know what the earliest date is for an interview?
I got an invite about a week ago and they gave me the option of nov 16,17 or 20

I saw something that said ~450 interviewed, ~310 accepted, and 216 matriculated.

Not sure if being “deferred” is just a pre rejection or if I’ll actually have a shot at an interview. Does anyone know if rejection letters have been sent out or is everyone either getting an interview or deferred?