2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats, bro! How many people interviewed with you? Group size?Thx
8 other people were in the interview/tour group, but you interview individually with a panel of 3 people

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! I interviewed on 10/30 and was called by one of my interviewers the next morning!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gone from Decision Deferred to II this year?

Does anyone have the gumption to ask about when deferred candidates may be reviewed again? Not it! :)

Reactions: 1 user
What was the panel experience like?

My whole panel was super friendly. I’d never been interviewed by 3 people at one time before so it was a new experience. Make sure to make eye contact with all 3 and just be calm. The questions were straightforward and they really just want to get to know you better.

I know that somebody said they had an interview group of 8......Are you saying that there were only 8 people total interviewing with you that day or are there more?

There are 8 people total interviewing. It’s split up evenly (4 interviewees) between two conference room, each of which has a panel of 3 interviewers. Each interview lasts about 30 mins give or take (some are shorter). This was how it was on my interview day, so I’m assuming it’ll be the same but take that with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 8 people total interviewing. It’s split up evenly (4 interviewees) between two conference room, each of which has a panel of 3 interviewers. Each interview lasts about 30 mins give or take (some are shorter). This was how it was on my interview day, so I’m assuming it’ll be the same but take that with a grain of salt.
My interview day (10/13) was set up exactly the same.

I wonder when the deferred list will get another look!

Does anyone have the gumption to ask about when deferred candidates may be reviewed again? Not it! :)
I also am waiting on that decision after my second MCAT score came out.

II today! Was deferred in September-waited for MCAT score to come back.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!! Stats please?! I was also deferred, hoping for an II soon!
when were you complete and what are your stats? were put on the deferred list because you were pending something?

when were you complete and what are your stats? were put on the deferred list because you were pending something?
No, placed on deferred for low stats im assuming; MCAT 495-500 ~3.5 GPA

Hey guys,

I was placed on defferment because of a previous low mcat score. Stats: 502 3.2sci/3.67c Over 120 hours shadowing D.O Ties to WV. Complete 8/17

Accepted yesterday and interviewed the day before. So relieved, absolutely loved WV!

Reactions: 5 users
COngrats! please what are your approximate stats!?
OOS, MCAT 510, cGPA ~3.4, sGPA ~3.2. My GPAs weren't super high clearly so they definitely take a lot into account when considering acceptances and interviews.

OOS, MCAT 510, cGPA ~3.4, sGPA ~3.2. My GPAs weren't super high clearly so they definitely take a lot into account when considering acceptances and interviews.
yeah not super high GPA's but pretty stellar MCAT! congrats

Accepted yesterday (day after interviewing) as well!!!
please can we all agree to share Stats and approx complete date when we get II or acceptances? I mean i know some may have already done it in the past, but please!
Congrats

Hi everyone!
I'm OOS and I will be landing in Charleston on 11/18 to drive into WVSOM for an interview date 11/20. Let me know if anyone is doing something similar and wants to carpool!
Thanks!

Accepted yesterday and interviewed the day before. So relieved, absolutely loved WV!

You are awesome! Congrats! I just read through the interview day schedule and see that it is a little extensive. What do you do while other students are interviewing? It also mentions a clinical experience, what does that involve? Also, what kind of questions did they ask you?

You are awesome! Congrats! I just read through the interview day schedule and see that it is a little extensive. What do you do while other students are interviewing? It also mentions a clinical experience, what does that involve? Also, what kind of questions did they ask you?
Thanks! While other people are interviewing you just kind of hang out in the admissions center, but you can leave and explore a little if you want. Idk how much I can/can't tell you about the interview, but they definitely didn't ask any super strange questions, just want to get to know you better and have you elaborate on things you might've mentioned in your secondary. Again idk how much I can tell you, but basically, the clinical experience tells you more about how WVSOM prepares its students to start seeing patients.It's more informational than anything else. You aren't going to be expected to have medical knowledge for it, if that's what you were wondering.

please can we all agree to share Stats and approx complete date when we get II or acceptances? I mean i know some may have already done it in the past, but please!
Congrats

Accepted 10/17. Stats: mcat 499/ sGPA 3.6/ cGPA 3.5... non-trad OOS student with 1000+ hours of direct patient contact as ER tech.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted 10/17. Stats: mcat 499/ sGPA 3.6/ cGPA 3.5... non-trad OOS student with 1000+ hours of direct patient contact as ER tech.
COngrats! thanks for your response. DO you think you will end up attending WVSOM?

Has anyone else been "under review" since the beginning of August?

Does anyone have access to/know where I can find a recent copy of WVSOM's match list? On their website the only thing I can find in relation to match is that their grads celebrated a 100% match this past year!

Does anyone have access to/know where I can find a recent copy of WVSOM's match list? On their website the only thing I can find in relation to match is that their grads celebrated a 100% match this past year!
Email one of the admissions people. I did and they sent me the match lists from the past 3 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

I got an interview invite (3.85c GPA, 3.69s GPA, 498 MCAT) here a couple days ago, and will be interviewing soon. Can only tell me how the interview works? I know there are 30 min interviews at the beginning, but then something called "mock experience" later on. Can anyone shed some light on what this "mock experience" is, and how I should prepare for it?

Hey guys,

I got an interview invite (3.85c GPA, 3.69s GPA, 498 MCAT) here a couple days ago, and will be interviewing soon. Can only tell me how the interview works? I know there are 30 min interviews at the beginning, but then something called "mock experience" later on. Can anyone shed some light on what this "mock experience" is, and how I should prepare for it?

No need to “prepare” for anything IMO. The interview itself is very conversational (no essays or anything like that). Then you’ll go on a tour after everyone is done interviewing. Throughout the course of the tour you’ll go to their Simulation Center where you’ll see how they use medical dummies and standardized patients. You won’t be tested/evaluated on anything here so don’t sweat it. It’s just to show you how it all works. That’s your “mock experience.” At least that’s how it was for my group. Try to stay calm and enjoy the experience. The staff is incredibly welcoming and friendly. Just be yourself :) GOOD LUCK!!!

No need to “prepare” for anything IMO. The interview itself is very conversational (no essays or anything like that). Then you’ll go on a tour after everyone is done interviewing. Throughout the course of the tour you’ll go to their Simulation Center where you’ll see how they use medical dummies and standardized patients. You won’t be tested/evaluated on anything here so don’t sweat it. It’s just to show you how it all works. That’s your “mock experience.” At least that’s how it was for my group. Try to stay calm and enjoy the experience. The staff is incredibly welcoming and friendly. Just be yourself :) GOOD LUCK!!!

Thank you so much! If you have any other advice, please PM me. :)

I was deferred. I called an spoke with the admissions team on a Thursday. They sent me an II on Monday. So I say go for it! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats
Complete in August, initially deferred status, interviewed Oct. 20th. Accepted Oct. 24th
~traditional student, MCAT 497, sGPA 3.3, OOS, DO shadowing, ~1000 research, hospital work and volunteering

Reactions: 3 users
Complete in August, initially deferred status, interviewed Oct. 20th. Accepted Oct. 24th
~traditional student, MCAT 497, sGPA 3.3, OOS, DO shadowing, ~1000 research, hospital work and volunteering
Did you send them any updates after being deferred or did they just randomly send you an II? We have similar stats so im hoping for an interview soon