2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody gotten an II from here with a science GPA of 3.2 or lower?

Yep a few people. But they had great clinical backgrounds and a good mcat. I hold the opinion that they dont have hard cut offs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep a few people. But they had great clinical backgrounds and a good mcat. I hold the opinion that they dont have hard cut offs.
Oh then this might not even help me because I have an average MCAT and average ECs. This is why I have received nothing but silence from this school since submitting my secondary.

I second this, I had a 3.1 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, but a 32 MCAT and 4 years of clinical experience. I'm a first year now.

Members don't see this ad :)
WVSOM is a great school that ofcourse wants intellectually capable students but also wants to train clinicians who are working with human beings and for that reason I feel they really value real world experience a lot, especially clinical experiences, such as nurses, military medicine, EMT's, scribes, etc.....its a public school so it gets a lot of state support but it also caters to a healthy OOS population.

GPAs? Ive seen it range from 3.1-3.7, mcats ranging from mid 490s to 510+. That said, just dont expect much love if you have a 3.0 and a 490.

Ofcourse every class is different and competition is fierce but if you come here you will love it......

Reactions: 2 users
I'm deciding btwn this school and KCU at Kansas City. Anyone have any advice?

I'm deciding btwn this school and KCU at Kansas City. Anyone have any advice?

Cost, proximity to family, things to do that relate to your hobbies, etc. Just make a giant spreadsheet comparing everything that is important to you (maybe add cost of living, proximity to airport, etc etc). I really enjoy outdoor activities so I knew WVSOM was right for me. If you need to be within 5 miles of a mega mall, might want to go elsewhere.

did anyone who interviewed this past weekend hear back from admissions yet?

I chose wvsom because

1. Close to home, 2 hours away
2. Reputable
3. Stand alone medical school
4. A good student atmosphere (when I came on tours and what not, the students seemed happy, thats how I knew this is a legit place)
5. 100% match rate

No school will ever be perfect, I am sure KCU has attributes that wvsom doesnt and vice versa, in the end its what you prioritize to be...

Got the call today, didn't expect them to get back to me so quickly with the holiday week

Reactions: 3 users
Got the call today, didn't expect them to get back to me so quickly with the holiday week
+1 just got the acceptance call as well— it’ll be nice to relax for the holidays!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats you two. Didn't eitherof you interview yesterday?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody gotten an II from here with a science GPA of 3.2 or lower?

I had an interview and was accepted with a 3.25 science GPA and a 499 MCAT... but I also took 3 years off after graduating and had a lot of clinical and other experiences that definitely helped me get in. I think they really look at personality and your extra curriculars to see if you would be a good fit!

I had an interview and was accepted with a 3.25 science GPA and a 499 MCAT... but I also took 3 years off after graduating and had a lot of clinical and other experiences that definitely helped me get in. I think they really look at personality and your extra curriculars to see if you would be a good fit!

I have mcat 500 cgpa 3.2 sgpa 3.1 graduate gpa 3.87 and research publications and exctracurriculars blah blah. A bad GPA and mediocre MCAT can be compensated for.

ACCEPTED! anyone know if there is a facebook page for the class??

did anyone who interviewed this past weekend hear back from admissions yet?
I interviewed on Friday the 17th and got a call on Tuesday the 21st... although I wouldn't count that as anything too specific. They said it could take up to two weeks before I got a response. Admissions Committe meets every Tuesday they said.

Just got the call yesterday! Trying to decide between RVU-Utah and WVSOM. I have a strong focus on international medicine... can anyone comment on WVSOMs international opportunities?

Just got the call yesterday! Trying to decide between RVU-Utah and WVSOM. I have a strong focus on international medicine... can anyone comment on WVSOMs international opportunities?

I didn't do any myself, but plenty of international opportunities. I swear I have classmates that are living abroad with all the pictures they post.

I was accepted into WVSOM and LECOM- Bradenton. I am now deciding between the two. WVSOM is high on my list, but LECOM-B is closer to home...however, I have heard negative reviews about LECOM..I am torn! What do you guys think? Anybody in a similar situation?

I have an interview here on the 14th. From what I have read it seems like this school has a pretty high post interview acceptance rate. Does anyone if this is true?

I have an interview here on the 14th. From what I have read it seems like this school has a pretty high post interview acceptance rate. Does anyone if this is true?

It is true. But its also true that they have a alternate list which they accept off of from when their class fills up. They sometimes will offer rollover acceptance when this happens but they have been more selective in previous years.

I was accepted into WVSOM and LECOM- Bradenton. I am now deciding between the two. WVSOM is high on my list, but LECOM-B is closer to home...however, I have heard negative reviews about LECOM..I am torn! What do you guys think? Anybody in a similar situation?

I’ve heard bad things about LECOM as well. And that’s from a buddy of mine there who is an MS2. But take that with a grain of salt as I don’t have any personal experiences with the school.

It is true. But its also true that they have a alternate list which they accept off of from when their class fills up. They sometimes will offer rollover acceptance when this happens but they have been more selective in previous years.
Are they interviewing for the seats or alternative list at this point? Is the class full?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they interning for the seats or alternative list at this point? Is the class full?

Wouldnt know. But based on past trends, I dont think they are full yet. Are they getting more competitive? Probably, as is almost every other school. When I applied, and got in, I remember going into my interview and I was one of the last few interview cycles this around Feb/March.....

I interviewed yesterday and didn't get a call today :( Should I be worried because they said they meet every Tuesday.

I interviewed yesterday and didn't get a call today :( Should I be worried because they said they meet every Tuesday.

Just an FYI its common understanding that things around the holidays tend to get backed up for various reasons. People go on vacations, out of state etc etc. Not saying this did or didnt happen, but just know its not as black and white as you think. I understand, the wait is frustrating....but you did your part....just remember "no news is good news"

I’ve posted this before but I interviewed on oct. 5th and didn’t receive an acceptance call until oct. 17th. The rest of my interview group that were accepted got theirs on the 17th as well. You’ll find lots of posts from people hearing back the following day, but that’s not a standard. I remember those 12 days were brutal, but try to keep your mind off of things as best you can. It’s out of your control now, so try not to torture yourself. Good luck!

Last edited:
I’ve posted this before but I interviewed on oct. 5th and didn’t receive an acceptance call until oct. 17th. The rest of my interview group that were accepted got there’s on the 17th as well. You’ll find lots of posts from people hearing back the following day, but that’s not a standard. I remember those 12 days were brutal, but try to keep your mind off of things as best you can. It’s out of your control now, so try not to torture yourself. Good luck!
Thank you, I really hope I can get in!

Was there any documents we needed to fill out prior to 12/14 deadline or purely just the deposit??

I’ve heard bad things about LECOM as well. And that’s from a buddy of mine there who is an MS2. But take that with a grain of salt as I don’t have any personal experiences with the school.

Hmmm...Thank you!

Does anybody know if WVSOM help you with living expenses if a rotation site is out of the state?

Did anyone who interviewed in the past 3 weeks hear back?

I interviewed on 11/27 and still haven't heard back. I'm super anxious right now
Deposits are due on the 14th and the Admissions will have more info. Hang on tight!

Did all you guys who apply to this school have a LOR from an DO? My problem is the DO I was supposed to get my LOR from passed and I don’t know what to do now:(

Last edited:
Did all you guys who apply to this school have a LOR from an DO? My problem is the DO I was supposed to get my LOR from passed and I don’t know what to do now:(

Yes, we all did. Unfortunately, I believe they won’t even consider your app unless you have a DO letter. I would email admissions and notify them that the DO who was going to write your letter passed away and due to extenuating circumstances maybe they would work with you? I have no idea though. Good luck

I'm so sorry to hear that :(
I'm pretty certain WVSOM requires a DO letter.

I only shadowed a DO for a handful of days, and I did have the chance to sit down and talk to him and let him get to know me, but he was very busy and it would have been a little awkward to shadow much longer than I did. I'm not discounting the value in shadowing a doctor for a long time... they definitely know you better, and it for sure looks better, but sometimes (like in my case) it wasn't really feasible.

I would contact WVSOM and let them know what your situation is. Is it possible to find another DO to let you shadow and write you a quick letter- maybe even one who works with the doc who passed away and knows you already? Docs have been through all of this before, and they are usually very happy to help you out. I didn't even have to really ask for mine, he said "So, you would probably like me to write you a letter, right?" :cool:

Last edited: