2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take to hear back from here for a II?

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take to hear back from here for a II?

When did you submit your primary? I got my II a little under 2 weeks (give or take) from the time I submitted my primary. But this was back in August/Sept. towards the beginning of the cycle so it may be different now, idk.

When did you submit your primary? I got my II a little under 2 weeks (give or take) from the time I submitted my primary. But this was back in August/Sept. towards the beginning of the cycle so it may be different now, idk.
I submitted maybe 2-3 weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted maybe 2-3 weeks ago.

Well you can’t really base your experience off of anyone else’s. A lot of people were complete in summer/early fall. It’s getting a bit late in the application cycle, they probably have a majority of the seats filled by now. But I truly wish you the best of luck and hope you get a shot!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else have a Dec 15th interview that would like to explore a little bit afterward?

Can anyone comment on how rotations are chosen (i.e. lottery style etc...?) Thanks!

Based on historical trends, I am almost certain the class isnt filled yet. They interview all the way till March, however, sometime around end of Jan to Mid Feb is when the class is full from what I can guess. The alternate list does move a bit. But it depends on the applicant pool year to year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has interviewed already give any last minute advice? Question types asked? (I'm not sure it you are allowed t share specific questions or not--just thought I'd ask).

Also, is there much touring outside of the campus? Should I bring a winter coat or just suit jacket? Unfamiliar with WV weather.

Thanks!

Can anyone who has interviewed already give any last minute advice? Question types asked? (I'm not sure it you are allowed t share specific questions or not--just thought I'd ask).

Also, is there much touring outside of the campus? Should I bring a winter coat or just suit jacket? Unfamiliar with WV weather.

Thanks!

Weather wise WV gets pretty similar weather that the north east gets, so dress warm. When I went for my interview in early October it was beautiful but when I went for the open house (later November) it was much colder (and windy). As far as tourism goes I will post a link below for the official Lewisburg video. They discuss a number of restaurants and cool things to check out. When I was there for my interview me and my gf went hiking at Beartown Park (highly recommended). There’s also a bunch of pretty cool caves around if you’re into that stuff.

As far as the interview goes, just expect to have a conversation about your application. Hate to sound cliché, but that’s really how it is. There aren’t any trick questions or questions designed to test you in any way. They basically just want to find out more about you. My interview was heavily centered around my secondary application and my job in health care. Just general questions learning more about me and my interest in medicine. It’s very conversational and laid back. I won’t mention specific questions as I’m sure they tailor interviews differently per applicant but I really wouldn’t worry! Good luck and enjoy! It’s a fun day, the staff and students were awesome.

Reactions: 2 users
Acceptance withdrawn today; good luck to all waiting to hear from WVSOM!

Reactions: 5 users
Also withdrawing my acceptance here.. Was a super difficult decision, this is a really great school. :) I am going to be attending UNECOM instead -- closer to home, a better fit for me.

I hope my spot will be enjoyed by one of you!

Anyone hear back yet that has had an interview 2 weeks ago? The wait has been excruciating...

Well I'm here in WV for the interview tomorrow. Here's to hoping that I'll get some love!

Well I'm here in WV for the interview tomorrow. Here's to hoping that I'll get some love!

I also just got in to town. Anyone who is in town should shoot me a PM if they wanna grab some food or something!

Recently applied, hopefully an II in the future

Patiently waiting for the Jan interviews to go out

Anyone interview at both WVSOM and DMUCOM? I'm accepted to DMU but scheduled to interview here next month. Heavily leaning towards cancelling it but hoping someone could give their impressions of both before making that decision.

Anyone interview at both WVSOM and DMUCOM? I'm accepted to DMU but scheduled to interview here next month. Heavily leaning towards cancelling it but hoping someone could give their impressions of both before making that decision.
Can’t hurt to interview. But if there is no way you would attend WVSOM then cancel interview.

I interviewed, and was accepted, at both DMU and WVSOM. Loved both of the schools. I'll be attending WVSOM, but for me it was essentially about location. WVSOM is about an hour from family; DMU is a much longer flight haha. I got great feelings at both of the schools, and would have been comfortable going to either. If you have more questions feel free to PM me on here.

Got the phone call of my life @ 315! Interviewed on 12/01/17. See you guys in the Fall! No email, status update or letter yet. The admissions told me its coming soon.
Got my call today as well @ 2:00 PM CST. Interviewed on 11/30. No email or portal update for me either. Good luck to everybody still waiting to hear back.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!! Phone call 4:45pm.Interview Date 12/14 God is good!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted as well! Interviewed 11/27. Soooo happy!

Reactions: 4 users
Acceptepted as well, so happy. Congratulations to all those accepted. Like others have said it is a hidden gem.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to all recent acceptances! Welcome aboard :)

Got the call this morning at 8am. Accepted from the 12/15 interview group! See you guys in the fall:)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted on Tuesday from my II on 12/15!

Seems like my fellow interview session applicants did really well!

Hi guys! Please don't judge, but I wanted to ask previous applicants and current students of this school if a 491 MCAT score will give me a shot at an interview. Other than the MCAT, I am a well rounded applicant. 3.5 GPA with ton of extra curricular. I also have strong letters

Got the phone call of my life @ 315! Interviewed on 12/01/17. See you guys in the Fall! No email, status update or letter yet. The admissions told me its coming soon.

Got my call today as well @ 2:00 PM CST. Interviewed on 11/30. No email or portal update for me either. Good luck to everybody still waiting to hear back.

Accepted!!! Phone call 4:45pm.Interview Date 12/14 God is good!

Accepted as well! Interviewed 11/27. Soooo happy!

Acceptepted as well, so happy. Congratulations to all those accepted. Like others have said it is a hidden gem.

Did anybody get a portal change or an email yet? Mine still says "application under review"

Hi guys! Please don't judge, but I wanted to ask previous applicants and current students of this school if a 491 MCAT score will give me a shot at an interview. Other than the MCAT, I am a well rounded applicant. 3.5 GPA with ton of extra curricular. I also have strong letters
Hello, last cycle I applied with a 491 MCAT, 3.8 sGPA, and a 3.6 cGPA. Other than that I have a few publications, great LOR, and a lot of extra curriculars. I was given a decision deferred and was not offered an interview. I brought my MCAT up to a 500 and have had 5 interviews this cycle and was the first group of interviewees at WVSOM. I deferred two interviews and have 2 acceptances (WV and KCOM) thus far and was waitlisted at one school. Not to say you won't get an interview, but your MCAT is definitely a little on the weak side. It won't hurt to apply and I'd advise to start focusing on bringing your MCAT up and you should be golden. I wish the best for you, good luck!

That’s a tad low. I can’t swear to you that anyone HASN’T gotten in with a 491, but the lower edge of the mcat scores from posters this round of apps has been like ~495ish. Their average for matriculating students is a 500, so you’re about 9 pts off the mark which makes it difficult. Unless you have something else that makes your app really stand out. Additionally, it’s getting pretty late in the cycle and a lot of the seats have filled already. You have a shot but chances are probably low. If no action shoot for at least a 500 next round.

I know this school requires a D.O. letter. Can I apply without the letter being on my file and plan to get the letter within the next month or so? Thanks for any help!

You can apply but they won’t review your secondary without the DO letter I believe. If there are extenuating circumstances as to why it’s not in yet you could call admissions.

My portal updated the evening of my call and I got the email around the same time as my portal updated.