2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got the II just now; can anyone care to elaborate on their rotation sites, the surrounding area/city, and the school's reputation? Thanks!

Not a student there yet, but from what they told me at my interview, the rotations for 3rd years are IN STATE hospitals. 4th year rotations can be anywhere in the nation as it gives the students a better chance of applying to the residencies they want to participate in.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed earlier this month.

alternate list as of today. >_> fml.

Last edited:
Think positive , go in there and own the interview. Impress them, but don't be egotistical. Don't worry about the outcome till you get the answer
Thats what I'm trying to tell myself... it's just hard knowing they have moved to the alternate list already. Thanks for your words of encouragement, appreciate it :) I'm assuming you interviewed there..how was interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
II a week or two ago for tomorrow. 505, 3.71, non-trad with lots of patient care.

Edit: complete in Nov.

That's awesome, best of luck!!
Thanks, wasn’t expecting any more II at this stage but this one is only 3+ hours away and I’ve turned over care to a few of their students at my local trauma center; seemed pretty cool.

Thats what I'm trying to tell myself... it's just hard knowing they have moved to the alternate list already. Thanks for your words of encouragement, appreciate it :) I'm assuming you interviewed there..how was interview day?
I declined my II here, i just have been to a few

Same here

I called them and apparently they said they don't rank us on the list. So it is not first come first serve. She told me that we just go on the list and they review us each time a spot opens. They said the list starts to move more around March 15th.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 1/18 got the acceptance call 2/1. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone who was decision deferred receive an interview invite recently?

Dang it, interviewed on 1/26, checked my portal today and my status says, "alternate list."

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! also what dates were offered?

they had three dates to choose from in the first two weeks of March, but in my status it still says "Decision deferred" :/ Idk if that stays like that

they had three dates to choose from in the first two weeks of March, but in my status it still says "Decision deferred" :/ Idk if that stays like that
Odd observation: your name reminds me of an MOS code...

Congrats on the II.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the portal says. Mine said "under review" until a week after I was accepted.

do they prescreen? I could have swore I got an email from them somewhere asking about a secondary but I can't find it for the life of me, it's driving me nuts.

Good luck to everyone in their interviews today!

After a very tough decision, I withdrew my acceptance today. Best of luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed today. Some good news is that one of the students we had lunch with was put on the alt list at the end of January and was accepted at the end of May. There's hope!

Interviewed today. Some good news is that one of the students we had lunch with was put on the alt list at the end of January and was accepted at the end of May. There's hope!

I know someone who was the last interview in March and was put on the alt list and was accepted in May. But they did have a very awesome application/story.

How was interview day?
Interview done first. Went first. 3 on 1 interview. Got it done. Relaxed the rest of the day haha. Questions ranged for me: why med, why osteopathic med, why physician, why WVSOM, academics, experiences, the whole 9-yards.

Interviewed here on Monday, received an email today saying I’m on the waitlist. During the interview they mentioned that the class was pretty much full. I’m hoping to get some love once the waitlist starts moving.

Does this school reject you after they review your file if they do not want to interview you? Or does everyone go "decision deferred." ??? No pending mcat or grade. Wondering why I ended up being "decision deferred" instead of rejected.

Does this school reject you after they review your file if they do not want to interview you? Or does everyone go "decision deferred." ??? No pending mcat or grade. Wondering why I ended up being "decision deferred" instead of rejected.
You need to call the admissions office and follow-up with them. They like that a lot when students call in because it shows you are interested and really want to go there. The more active you are with your application the better it will be for you - not just for this school but for other schools too.

I found out I got accepted when I called them and they pulled up my application and told me. The portal didn't update until a couple of days later. Go after what you really want!

If you're rejected without getting an interview, do they email you? I submitted through AACOMAS back in December and have yet to hear anything. What would be the best way to ask about my application status?

If you're rejected without getting an interview, do they email you? I submitted through AACOMAS back in December and have yet to hear anything. What would be the best way to ask about my application status?
Did you submit a secondary? If so, you can check your application portal.

Did you submit a secondary? If so, you can check your application portal.
They haven’t sent me anything for a secondary :( I haven’t heard anything since I submitted through AACOMAS. Every other school has either send me a reject letter or that they’ve received my application or invitation for secondary, but nothing from West Virginia

They haven’t sent me anything for a secondary :( I haven’t heard anything since I submitted through AACOMAS. Every other school has either send me a reject letter or that they’ve received my application or invitation for secondary, but nothing from West Virginia
If you didnt get a secondary you are SOL i think

Any recent IIs? I’ve been stuck on deferred for months.

Not a student there yet, but from what they told me at my interview, the rotations for 3rd years are IN STATE hospitals. 4th year rotations can be anywhere in the nation as it gives the students a better chance of applying to the residencies they want to participate in.
Not all of the 3rd year hospitals are in state, just most

Not all of the 3rd year hospitals are in state, just most

Yep. "Statewide campus" is a bit of a misnomer. Most of the sites are in WV, but we do have a few outside of the state. My base site was in Ashland, KY.

Also, what dates were you offered?
Feb 15, 22, & 26. I didn’t get any deferred email but I did receive an email that a DO letter is required to be considered. I hope you hear good news soon! I would call to show your interest in the school.

Btw I’m interviewing tomorrow..for those of you that have interviewed is it just a 30min 3 on 1 interview? I’m confused bc it’s a 6 hour day, would appreciate some clarification lol

Btw I’m interviewing tomorrow..for those of you that have interviewed is it just a 30min 3 on 1 interview? I’m confused bc it’s a 6 hour day, would appreciate some clarification lol
Yes it is. The day is long because lunch is provided and they give an excellent and in depth tour of the campus and facilities. Hope you enjoy!