2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I just noticed I got those additional items as well on the checklist. Did you guys call the admissions office? This is really making me anxious!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys quick question. It still says i'm on the alternate list, but my checklist has some new items such as: First deposit, second deposit and some other stuff. Not sure if this was added when it was changed to alternate list though.

Hey did you end up calling the admissions office to find out? I just saw this today, but unfortunately I cannot call until Monday.

Hey did you end up calling the admissions office to find out? I just saw this today, but unfortunately I cannot call until Monday.
I actually withdrew my application through email. I would call them to clarify, but I believe everyone who is added to the alternate list may have those items. There is also a chance that those individuals are at the top of the list and may be moving off. Give them a call on Monday to see. Good luck with everything!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have them too. Probably everyone in the Alternate list has it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I have been in the "deferred decision" status since the end of January and wanted to ask and see if it is too late to submit them an email regarding an update on my activities etc.? Do you know when they interview until? And do they interview for the entering 2019 class during this cycle? Thanks :)

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here. I hope it goes to one of you guys! Good Luck!

Is this for all DO schools? Or just for WV?
Not sure about other DO schools, I think everyone has different timelines. WVSOM's second deposit is due for everyone by today if they were accepted before March 1

Not sure about other DO schools, I think everyone has different timelines. WVSOM's second deposit is due for everyone by today if they were accepted before March 1
There’s one other school that I know of whose second desposit is today

Today is the day ! Everyone on this forum waiting will be accepted by next week! WOOOO

May we all meet July 27th.

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlist movement thread

Basically march 15 is the day where major wait list movement start to happen. Schools have to have sent out at least enough acceptances to cover all their seats, and then around April 30th, the schools get a list of students who have multiple acceptances and start pressuring them to decide where they are going. As they are only allowed to have 1 acceptance after April 30th unless the acceptance is recent in which they have 5-10 days to pick or they have some explanation for holding more than one spot.

Isnt this true for MD schools only? DO schools see movement because of the MD deadlines. I don’t think DO has any hard deadlines and it’s school dependent. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
I think you’re correct re hard deadlines. However, there may be some “trickle up” effect, ie, people on MD wait lists get accepts and decline previous DO accepts.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure why DO schools, would have dates that vary drastically from the MD dates. Orientation week is about the same time for everyone. Also, 2nds BobbyKoch's statement.

From my waitlist experience at wvsom last year my best advice for anyone in that position is be patient. It’s cliche but I found that this stage of the game can be incredibly unpredictable, somewhat uncomfortable and at times frustrating so with that said try and stay patient. Every year is different in terms of movement and seat openings, but the list did move last year. The admin office is very nice and tries to help as much as they can, but even their information is day by day as people drop acceptances down the stretch. Hang in there, send the school an update, and if wvsom is your top choice send in a letter of intent come April / May. Any questions feel free to ask. Good luck!

Last edited:
For anyone on the alternate list, do you also have the portion circled in red on your portal? I don’t know if it was recently added or if it’s always been there and I just never noticed it.

Attachments

• 1AC701E2-4284-4840-900C-7128A2ADE892.jpeg
    1AC701E2-4284-4840-900C-7128A2ADE892.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 198
For anyone on the alternate list, do you also have the portion circled in red on your portal? I don’t know if it was recently added or if it’s always been there and I just never noticed it.

Yeah I have it as well, I am sure it wasn't there before. I am just going to wait and see.

Think its always been there. I have it as well.

I didn’t have that before but I have it now as well!

For those on the alternate list, did you receive an email notifying you of your placement on the list or was it just a portal change?

For those on the alternate list, did you receive an email notifying you of your placement on the list or was it just a portal change?
I received an email. Check your spam, I know several people who found their email in the spam folder!

Okay guys, so I called and asked about that form, and they told me it was recently auto populated onto our portals just in the case that we do get accepted. That way, we’ll have read and confirmed that we read about the background form. They also said that if we are accepted, we’ll have to sign off on another background form (from what I understood).

Do you guys have your transcripts added to your checklist?

I am guessing this Tuesday when the committee meets is when we will start receiving acceptances :nailbiting:

An email letting you know you were placed on the alternate list. You didn’t get one?
Yes, I received an email and my portal status changed. Misread the previous posts, thanks for the clarification.

Any current students have any data that they can share in regards to this year's match?! Really curious with how WVSOM's 4th years did this year!

Any current students have any data that they can share in regards to this year's match?! Really curious with how WVSOM's 4th years did this year!

N=1 here but I matched into the emergency medicine residency of my choice! Stoked about it. I don't have any hard data yet but sounds like my class did well overall. Had people match in a variety of specialties including EM, FM, psych, neurology, dermatology, orthopedic surgery, anesthesia and some others along with some fairly competitive programs (Maricopa, Georgetown, WVU, etc).

Reactions: 5 users
N=1 here but I matched into the emergency medicine residency of my choice! Stoked about it. I don't have any hard data yet but sounds like my class did well overall. Had people match in a variety of specialties including EM, FM, psych, neurology, dermatology, orthopedic surgery, anesthesia and some others along with some fairly competitive programs (Maricopa, Georgetown, WVU, etc).

Thanks for the inside scoop, Tri4thlete, and many congrats on getting your choice of residency!! I'm really happy to hear about some of the other specialties people in your class got.

For everyone else. This is the website that WVSOM posts their match data from previous years: https://msopti.wvsom.edu/MSOPTI_Forms_MATCH_Data#stats

I'll be refreshing that page non-stop until they update it with 2018 stats -_-

Guys... The committee meets tomorrow... This is it. All our hard work and waiting will pay off soon! :clap:

Well they meet every Tuesday. I heard after March 15th the committee is the one who chooses the accepted candidates from the list.

You're getting everyone's hopes up lol. But congrats!! Did you receive a phone call, email, or manually checked your portal for an update?

Definitely a phone call. They called me in the AM too. I thought all acceptance calls would be around 3-8pm, but I was wrong. So I recommend staying near your phone at all times.

I received an email today saying that my application will continue to remain in decision deferred till July even though the interview cycle is over. Does anybody have a guess what this means? Tried calling but can't get through to anyone.
I think it means if there’s any space available in July, they’ll look at your app again. Not sure though.

I received an email today saying that my application will continue to remain in decision deferred till July even though the interview cycle is over. Does anybody have a guess what this means? Tried calling but can't get through to anyone.
Got the same email today. Seems odd that they would hold our applications if they’re done interviewing. My guess is that they probably have one more interview day in June/ July if there happens to be seats that open up, but for now they have their expected class set.

Were you on the alternate list ?

only one of us got called !? *anxiety starts* I was expecting at least 3.

Like this post if you're on the alternate list and WVSOM is your top choice. Just trying to get an idea of how many of us are still waiting.

Reactions: 5 users
I got the email too but I have not interviewed with them.

Sent from my 5056W using SDN mobile

I was waitlisted on 02/28 and just got a call for acceptance earlier today!! Best of luck everyone

Reactions: 3 users
Received the call earlier today in the AM, but just got the email and the official status change on the portal around 8PM