2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spoke with them last week. They said wait till late May again. Dont worry other schools are moving and people are getting accepted. People like asdf333 wont be able to keep putting deposits down on more schools so they will call us instead muahahahahaha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I spoke with them last week. They said wait till late May again. Dont worry other schools are moving and people are getting accepted. People like asdf333 wont be able to keep putting deposits down on more schools so they will call us instead muahahahahaha.

I can afford MD school deposits, cause they don't typically ask for thousands of dollars. As for the DO schools, I'm tapped.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten an e-mail about Castle Branch?

No not yet. The WVSOM website states "Students will be given their login information for CastleBranch in May after they have submitted the 2nd deposit. Until then, please hold onto your completed Health & Technical Standards form."

Don't worry :)

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my acceptance today; good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
I know of someone who took a deferment for this year so that should open up a seat for you guys!

No not yet. The WVSOM website states "Students will be given their login information for CastleBranch in May after they have submitted the 2nd deposit. Until then, please hold onto your completed Health & Technical Standards form."

Don't worry :)
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know of anyone who got accepted after being deferred pre-interview? I know the issue is in my MCAT, but I was wondering what the chances were so I know whether or not to start studying to retake it for the next cycle! Thank you!
I was accepted after being deferred pre-interview. The issue initially was my MCAT. I retook it in September, results in October and called the admissions committee. They offered an interview based off of the new MCAT score. If you are sub 500, I would recommend retaking. In the meantime, call the admissions team and ask for tips about your application.

Also, try to highlight your significance in community service, rural health, and things that make you unique. Good luck!

Hey everyone. I got accepted into WVSOM bridge program. I will be doing a one year masters and hopefully next year will matriculate for fall 2019. Any tips on the interview? What kind of questions did they ask if you don’t mind sharing. Would really appreciate it!

Hey everyone. I got accepted into WVSOM bridge program. I will be doing a one year masters and hopefully next year will matriculate for fall 2019. Any tips on the interview? What kind of questions did they ask if you don’t mind sharing. Would really appreciate it!

I won't go into specifics but know your primary and secondary applications. They mostly want to see if you fit with their school. Share why you are choosing osteopathy, why their school, etc. Be honest with your answers. Just show them who you are and you will be fine.

Good luck!

Congrats!! It's pretty basic questions from your app and just talking about yourself. There were no surprise questions and it's very relaxed. Also check out the interview questions on SDN interview feedback page. Good luck!

Congrats!! It's pretty basic questions from your app and just talking about yourself. There were no surprise questions and it's very relaxed. Also check out the interview questions on SDN interview feedback page. Good luck!
Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

Fit is very important to them. I agree. WVSOM and West Virginia are certainly not for everybody and the people who "put on a face" during their interview really struggled at WVSOM because they were used to clubs, shopping centers, broadway shows, etc. If you are from a rural area, are interested in rural medicine in any way, or enjoy the great outdoors, WVSOM is for you.

woooo just got off the alternate list but I am going elsewhere. Interviewed 2/9.

Did everyone that's on the alternate list get the email about confirming continuing interest in remaining on the alternate list?

Did everyone that's on the alternate list get the email about confirming continuing interest in remaining on the alternate list?
I didn’t receive this email.

I got the email yesterday morning. Hopefully there is some movement on the waitlist soon

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone on this thread went to West Liberty University in WV for undergrad or is familiar with their masters of biology program or curriculum in general? Also would like to discuss living situation. Please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Accepted and scared that one of the MD schools I'm wait listed at will call me, cause then I have to choose. :arghh:

Accepted and scared that one of the MD schools I'm wait listed at will call me, cause then I have to choose. :arghh:
I would choose the MD school TBH. With the whole merger going on, you'd rather go to an MD school and be a US MD senior. It will be more favorable for you in the long run when PDs look at your applications.

Also from your recent posts I would caution you to stop worrying about how much it costs to make deposits unless you are in a dire circumstance financially and cannot afford to make payments. Assuming you will be taking loans like almost everyone else - by the time you finish med school you will be in hundreds of thousands in debt anyway, so a mere fraction of this down payment won't mean much in the long run. Think of it as an investment to your future. Good luck to you.

Go with your intuition. But for me, the philosophy behind the medicine is what mattered most. Good luck!

Anyone who goes here know what the attendance policy is like at this school? I think I heard there is no firm policy on it and that lectures are recorded, but I'm wondering what all you absolutely have to be on campus for. Like hypothetically, would I be able to travel home ~3 hours away on some weekends and stay a bit longer while staying on top of things via video lectures [assuming there is no test coming up]?

Anyone who goes here know what the attendance policy is like at this school? I think I heard there is no firm policy on it and that lectures are recorded, but I'm wondering what all you absolutely have to be on campus for. Like hypothetically, would I be able to travel home ~3 hours away on some weekends and stay a bit longer while staying on top of things via video lectures [assuming there is no test coming up]?

Attendance is pretty chill. A few mandatory lectures here and there (usually when they bring in special guest speakers). All labs and team based learning exercises are mandatory though. Honestly would be hard to leave for extended periods of time.

You could certainly do it sparsely but multiple times per month probably wouldn't fly. Also would be stressful as hell. Try and stay near the school and be as engaged as possible, get to know people on campus, join an intramural sport. I think it helped me tremendously to get as involved as possible.

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrawing my acceptance here! Hopefully one of you receive my spot!!

Reactions: 4 users
Received email today about confirming continuing interest in remaining on the alternate list. Did anyone else receive email today?

I am on the alternate list and did not receive this email. Was it an email you have to respond back to remain on the alternate list?

On the alternate list as well, also did not receive the email

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got that email when I was on the alternate list.
I got the email today as well. Not trying to read into it too much and make a bigger deal of it is, but how long after getting that email did you hear back on your acceptance?

I think those emails are sent out in a staggered fashion depending on when you had your interview. I received one a couple of weeks (maybe months) after my interview. The people that are receiving it now, did you interview recently?

So when do you guys think waitlist movement will start? All I've seen on this thread recently are people withdrawing.

WVSOM or LECOM-B? I am lucky to have been accepted to both, but I have a tough decision to make now. I would greatly appreciate some input. Thanks :)

WVSOM or LECOM-B? I am lucky to have been accepted to both, but I have a tough decision to make now. I would greatly appreciate some input. Thanks :)
Does this mean you were recently accepted off the waitlist here at WVSOM? Sorry that my question doesn't help provide input for what you were looking for, but I don't know much about LECOM-B except that the students are able to study on the beach

Consider your lifestyle first before deciding. I would go to LECOM-B any day over WVSOM.

Does this mean that the match rate was 96%?
Yep! That's what I inferred from it as well.
96% is not bad at all!

As I just ended my 3rd year and am studying for boards before 4th year starts, I want you guys to know this is extremely misleading. A direct quote from from the Dean's email to the current graduating class: "In the AOA match you had a 73% initial match rate which is the same as last year. Everyone matched or found a spot in the scramble or went on to the NRMP match so I would say we have a 100% for the AOA match." Like what? how does even make sense? A strong opinion rather than a fact.

A lot of students who applied AOA did not match this year because many students with strong stats played it safe to match in the AOA match and hence the AOA match was competitive, especially for competitive specialties from what I have heard. People who had over 500 on both COMLEX did not match, but there were people who failed a step and still matched. It is seriously such a gamble and dependent on SO many factors. When you guys will be applying there will only be a single match for everyone. I highly recommend that you guys take USMLEs when you apply to open more doors. Buy First Aid early and annotate the book throughout both years and do as many questions as possible from qbanks.

Reactions: 5 users
Does any one have any thoughts on deciding between WVSOM vs. KCU-Joplin?

hey i will be interviewing for next cycle here and i was looking at the feedback page. can anyone tell me what the interview style is? is it just you and faculty or are you interviewed with other applicants