2017-2018 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for this!
Can you clarify when step 1 is now? I'm looking at the finalized curriculum map that was in the accepted student newsletter and its not clear. From what I remember it was originally in april-ish of third year, are you saying they moved it up to around the fall?

Hi! Yes, at least to study for it, it's been moved up to late Fall (late November - early January is dedicated study time). But I do want to note that people still have the option of taking it sooner or later if necessary, as research shows that having a few clerkships under your belt does increase your step 1 average, so WMed has structured to maximize that effect.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So kind of random but idk. My family was talking to me about the flint water crisis (we’re from LA) and then they asked me if Kalamazoo has a lead problem. I laughed it off at first and I’m like no I dont think so it’s pretty far away from Flint. Then I looked into it and saw some disturbing reports about high amounts of lead in Kalamazoo. Does anyone from the area know about this or even talk about it?
I’ve lived, went to school, and worked in Kalamazoo for 6 years and the water is fine. I’ve always used a Brita filter just because I won a little set and pitcher thing for every ago lol but no one has ever complained about it around here. I’m from metro Detroit and the water in Kalamazoo is much different than the water I grew up with but it’s safe to drink and shouldn’t be a concern at all.

I’ve lived, went to school, and worked in Kalamazoo for 6 years and the water is fine. I’ve always used a Brita filter just because I won a little set and pitcher thing for every ago lol but no one has ever complained about it around here. I’m from metro Detroit and the water in Kalamazoo is much different than the water I grew up with but it’s safe to drink and shouldn’t be a concern at all.

Plus, you are a medical student now...First Aid is the water that sustains you, lol

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am torn and could really use some insight- I loved Wmed on my interview day and found many aspects of the school desireable. Moreover, I was recently awarded a scholarship from them. But I am a little hesistant because of Wmeds match list. I know they are a new school so I wasn't expecting something amazing, but I found it a little disappointing. Could any current students give their reactions about match? Do you think there's a lot of regional bias at Wmed, which explains the match list? I would eventually love to return to my home state of CA so this is a huge issue for me.

M3 here. I understand your concern-- I'm also from CA and am trying to go home when I'm done. From my understanding, regional bias exists, but it isn't specific to WMed. I've been told that it's generally harder to match into an area other than where you went to medical school, but having connections to the region (eg. having family there, growing up there, having gone to school there) can somewhat mitigate this.

Of the 11 M4s who did their undergrad in CA, 5 of them are returning to CA for residency. One of those 5 was into a single spot in a combined MPH program in Los Angeles. Of the CA people who aren't going back, one of them is doing path at U of Chicago and another got into rads at Cook County Hospital. Not too shabby if you ask me!

Also, like someone else has mentioned already, the school has done a great job of finding and addressing things to improve on. This has been the case with many things, most notably the M1/M2 curriculum, step timing, and research opportunities. I totally expect them to do whatever they can to improve how well future classes match, whether it's with better counseling, dean's letters, etc. Things will only get better. Hope this helps.

Adding on to “returning to home state opportunities” I know an M2 from a state 15-20 hours from Kalamazoo who got credit for an elective class by returning to the hospital where she had been an ER scribe and working with physicians there. I would imagine doing something like this might help maintain your OOS connection and could slightly bump you up in matching to your home state. If not, at least you can do it around a holiday or someone’s birthday hopefully and be home for that!

So kind of random but idk. My family was talking to me about the flint water crisis (we’re from LA) and then they asked me if Kalamazoo has a lead problem. I laughed it off at first and I’m like no I dont think so it’s pretty far away from Flint. Then I looked into it and saw some disturbing reports about high amounts of lead in Kalamazoo. Does anyone from the area know about this or even talk about it?

As others have said already, the water is safe from a lead standpoint. The Flint situation is unique to that city (both fortunately and unfortunately). The water is super hard, however, so you will want to filter your drinking water so it tastes better! I can't even use the water for an aquarium because it is so alkaline.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, does anyone know if WMed is open to receiving additional letters of recommendations as an update? I was gonna email admissions and ask, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had successfully done it/asked about it.

Hey guys, does anyone know if WMed is open to receiving additional letters of recommendations as an update? I was gonna email admissions and ask, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had successfully done it/asked about it.
They aren’t open to them as far as I know (at least they didn’t accept it when I tried to send one last application cycle). They’re receptive to other updates though! With the recommendation they mentioned that they only accept them officially through AMCAS, so I guess it’s different from other updates.

I interviewed for the Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences program (Bridge to MD program) at Western and still have not heard anything back on whether I was accepted or not. Has anyone else interviewed for this program?

I interviewed for the Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences program (Bridge to MD program) at Western and still have not heard anything back on whether I was accepted or not. Has anyone else interviewed for this program?
When did you get the interview invite for the program? I was only told in the rejection e-mail that I was being considered for the Bridge to MD program, despite not being accepted for the MD Class of 2021. I didn't know they were holding interviews for it; it just said in the e-mail that they would review my application in April and send out a final decision in May.

When did you get the interview invite for the program? I was only told in the rejection e-mail that I was being considered for the Bridge to MD program, despite not being accepted for the MD Class of 2021. I didn't know they were holding interviews for it; it just said in the e-mail that they would review my application in April and send out a final decision in May.
I interviewed for it on March 9th. It was the same as the regular MD interviews just during my one on one interview, I was interviewed by the head of the Bridge to MD program. I also met students who were in the program last year.

I interviewed for it on March 9th. It was the same as the regular MD interviews just during my one on one interview, I was interviewed by the head of the Bridge to MD program. I also met students who were in the program last year.
Were you interviewing for both Bridge to MD and regular admission?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! Just finished our HemeOnc block today and finally have some downtime and just wanted to reiterate for everyone on the WL limbo, April 30th/May 1st is coming fast so fingers crossed you here some good news! And for anyone else currently holding an acceptance, congrats! Even if you decide to matriculate elsewhere, best of luck to you too cuz you earned it!

Happy Friday!

-Danny

Reactions: 5 users
Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck to those on the waitlist!

They aren’t open to them as far as I know (at least they didn’t accept it when I tried to send one last application cycle). They’re receptive to other updates though! With the recommendation they mentioned that they only accept them officially through AMCAS, so I guess it’s different from other updates.
In case anyone was wondering, I emailed them and they told me to have my reviewer send it to them! Either they changed their mind or only accept new letters for WL or something, but they said they'd accept it.

Totally random question, but does anyone know if med students are eligible for Spotify student? I had heard it’s only as an undergrad but I wanted to double check

Totally random question, but does anyone know if med students are eligible for Spotify student? I had heard it’s only as an undergrad but I wanted to double check
I think as long as you have a .edu email you’re good.
Also I’m getting the student rate for Apple Music using my undergrad email and I graduated 3 years ago lol

Reactions: 2 users
I think as long as you have a .edu email you’re good.
Also I’m getting the student rate for Apple Music using my undergrad email and I graduated 3 years ago lol

I think Spotify confirms enrollment through a third party so that’s why I was wondering haha

In case anyone was wondering, I emailed them and they told me to have my reviewer send it to them! Either they changed their mind or only accept new letters for WL or something, but they said they'd accept it.
Oh that's great! Sorry for the outdated info lol and thanks for checking in on it for us!

How did you withdraw? I sent them an email earlier saying that I withdraw my acceptance. Was that good enough? and good luck to the students on the waiting list!
Yeah that’s all you do, they will reply and update the portal

Does anyone know whether they waitlist a large portion of those that are interviewed? I’m currently on the waitlist and eager to hear back. I’ve been obnoxiously checking the portal several times a day lol. When I visited for my interview, I absolutely loved the atmosphere and people both at WMed and in Kalamazoo. Also, does anyone know when or how often the Admissions Committee tends to meet?

Does anyone know whether they waitlist a large portion of those that are interviewed? I’m currently on the waitlist and eager to hear back. I’ve been obnoxiously checking the portal several times a day lol. When I visited for my interview, I absolutely loved the atmosphere and people both at WMed and in Kalamazoo. Also, does anyone know when or how often the Admissions Committee tends to meet?

Dunno. At this point, I think how many they waitlist is probably less relevant than where you are in that pile. That said, I think that there will be a LOT of waitlist movement for this school. I wasn't able to talk to many people at 2nd look, but several of those I did had other options (as do I, fair disclosure) and seemed far from certain they would be matriculating. I wish you luck and hopefully our paths will cross again in July.

WL movement should be huge here. Everyone I met who was a current student it was their only md acceptance option. It’s absolutely a good program don’t get me wrong, but being so new if people can go elsewhere they tend to. After my interview I felt it was a good second choice school and still do. It’s not the hometown school for many, and MI has a lot of older med schools, so it also doesn’t get a ton of people from that.

WL movement should be huge here. Everyone I met who was a current student it was their only md acceptance option. It’s absolutely a good program don’t get me wrong, but being so new if people can go elsewhere they tend to. After my interview I felt it was a good second choice school and still do. It’s not the hometown school for many, and MI has a lot of older med schools, so it also doesn’t get a ton of people from that.

Agreed! Although, being from OOS WMED is a great option. Have you seen the OOS tuition at Michigan State Human Medicine? No thank you!

Agreed! Although, being from OOS WMED is a great option. Have you seen the OOS tuition at Michigan State Human Medicine? No thank you!
I know that central Michigan is 75K, yeah that’s a joke haha

Dunno. At this point, I think how many they waitlist is probably less relevant than where you are in that pile. That said, I think that there will be a LOT of waitlist movement for this school. I wasn't able to talk to many people at 2nd look, but several of those I did had other options (as do I, fair disclosure) and seemed far from certain they would be matriculating. I wish you luck and hopefully our paths will cross again in July.
Thanks for responding! I appreciate your insight and you bring up a very valid point in regards to knowing where I am in the waitlist pile is probably more relevant; however, with WMed’s waitlist being unranked, I feel it’s impossible to know where I stand lol. :/ As such, I was hoping to better grasp my chances of gaining acceptance from a purely statistical standpoint by looking into how many people were waitlisted/rejected/accepted following their interview.

Even though I can’t figure out where I stand in the minds of the Admissions Committee, it is refreshing to hear that there should be a lot of waitlist movement!! :)

Thanks for responding! I appreciate your insight and you bring up a very valid point in regards to knowing where I am in the waitlist pile is probably more relevant; however, with WMed’s waitlist being unranked, I feel it’s impossible to know where I stand lol. :/ As such, I was hoping to better grasp my chances of gaining acceptance from a purely statistical standpoint by looking into how many people were waitlisted/rejected/accepted following their interview.

Even though I can’t figure out where I stand in the minds of the Admissions Committee, it is refreshing to hear that there should be a lot of waitlist movement!! :)
Have you sent updates?

Even if the waitlist was ranked, YOU wouldn't know where you were in the pile. The bit about not having a formal waitlist ranking sounds refreshing, but I mean given that the same committee members have reviewed most people multiple times...I think they have a pretty good idea of where each person stands. Good luck!

withdrew! So hope that can lead to some movement :)

Do we have any idea how long after "traffic day" all of this wait-list movement starts to happen? (Like days? a week? couple weeks?)

Do we have any idea how long after "traffic day" all of this wait-list movement starts to happen? (Like days? a week? couple weeks?)
Would love to know this myself

Accepted off the waitlist today! Phone call at 2 pm, email 3 pm. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Reactions: 7 users
Off the waitlist! Got the call at 1PM today

Phone interview December, actual interview March. Last interview date, I think

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted off the waitlist! Just got the call 2pm today. Phone interview in September. Campus interview in December.
514/3.74 undergrad.

Reactions: 6 users
Hoping for more waitlist progression ... Campus Interview in early march, phone interview late september.

Anybody who's accepted know when they should expect to hear something? Haven't heard anything since the background check.

MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!! I got the call a little while ago. Interviewed and waitlisted in December. Still in disbelief. Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist!

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone have any questions I could answer? Newly minted M4 @ WMedwith some free time in the near future, so I'm available to spill some tea.

Anyone have any questions I could answer? Newly minted M4 @ WMedwith some free time in the near future, so I'm available to spill some tea.
What are your general impressions of the first match list, and how do you feel going into residency applications?
(Love your username, by the way :))

What are your general impressions of the first match list, and how do you feel going into residency applications?
(Love your username, by the way :))

Really happy to see 100% match rate! There was some definite fear about that, and there were people who had to SOAP, but it all worked out in the end.

Feeling great going into the cycle for my class in a few months. We've had a lot of success securing away rotations, too.

Accepted today! Was not expecting that at all, kind of forgot I was even on the waitlist here tbh. Interviewed way back in November. Won't be accepting but felt good to get my first MD acceptance :D hopefully my spot goes to one of you deserving folks!

Reactions: 4 users
Really happy to see 100% match rate! There was some definite fear about that, and there were people who had to SOAP, but it all worked out in the end.

Feeling great going into the cycle for my class in a few months. We've had a lot of success securing away rotations, too.

Glad to hear about the success in getting good away rotations...somewhat less happy hearing that the scramble was a big part of match day success (Feel like that question was directly asked at 2nd look as well). But, hopefully you guys do even better!

Could you tell us some of the places there were away rotations?