2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Too late to apply? Wanted to get some DO shadowing in prior to submitting my app and now scared I waited too long.

Mmm they had extended a ton of IIs in Sept..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just called as well as was told all decisions have been made for the 9/21 interview date and letters should be going out by the end of this week. (Pomona)

Members don't see this ad :)
Too late to apply? Wanted to get some DO shadowing in prior to submitting my app and now scared I waited too long.

At the Lebanon campus interview they said they offer interviews all the way until March and admissions is rolling until they fill their seats. The early interviews does not necessarily guarantee you a seat as they do want to give the later interviewers opportunities too (hence why many will be put on hold), so I don't see why you shouldn't apply.

Just called as well as was told all decisions have been made for the 9/21 interview date and letters should be going out by the end of this week. (Pomona)

Do you remember who you talked to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd process...Based on the conversations a couple of you had with admissions, the 9/21 group is going to have their letters mailed out by the end of the week, while some of the 9/7 group's letters haven't gone out yet, leaving some 9/7 interviewees in limbo until.... Just observations.

Reactions: 2 users
Someone who's name started with a G. Maybe Gisele. Can't remember exactly sorry.

These counselors really need to communicate lol. The guy I talked to looked me up by name and birthdate and said I hadn't been reviewed yet and that reviews occur on Thursdays. I was in the 9/21 group. So I'm interested to see if we get decisions this week. Hopefully :whistle:

Odd process...Based on the conversations a couple of you had with admissions, the 9/21 group is going to have their letters mailed out by the end of the week, while some of the 9/7 group's letters haven't gone out yet, leaving some 9/7 interviewees in limbo until.... Just observations.

Your observation, my personal hell.

Reactions: 2 users
These counselors really need to communicate lol. The guy I talked to looked me up by name and birthdate and said I hadn't been reviewed yet and that reviews occur on Thursdays. I was in the 9/21 group. So I'm interested to see if we get decisions this week. Hopefully :whistle:
Yeah i tried to ask questions specific to my app and she kinda cut me off and said "did you check your portal?? That's all the information there is." But she didn't check my individual status for me.

Headed to Pomona now! See some of you tomorrow! What time did you guys get out who already interviewed here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also headed to Pomona! See some of you at the social event later tonight?

Never hurts to try. Stats?

MCAT: 511; GPA: 3.6
CA Resident
My extracurriculars are pretty good. I was just worried about shadowing. When I went to preview day, an representative told me that those accepted have an average of 400 DO shadowing hours. I had 0. :(. Was able to get around 200; hoping that is good enough.

CA Resident
My extracurriculars are pretty good. I was just worried about shadowing. When I went to preview day, an representative told me that those accepted have an average of 400 DO shadowing hours. I had 0. :(. Was able to get around 200; hoping that is good enough.

400 HOURS of shadowing? That cannot be right. Surely you misheard? That would be 10 solid weeks of full-time shadowing. I have ~40 and I felt like that was far more than enough. It was enough to get me IIs at WesternU, at least.

Reactions: 1 users
CA Resident

I can confirm thats plenty ;)

400 HOURS of shadowing? That cannot be right. Surely you misheard? That would be 10 solid weeks of full-time shadowing. I have ~40 and I felt like that was far more than enough. It was enough to get me IIs at WesternU, at least.

I am positive I heard 400 because I even asked to double check I heard correctly! I was just as shocked as you are! I feel that maybe it was stretched as such because they wanted to make a point that they wanted applicants that knew about the DO program instead of ppl just thinking DO is easier than MD so let me just do DO.

But thanks so much for your response! Makes me feel much better. Wish I didn't wait so long nowwww!

Yes. I have like half that and got II's at both. 40 I feel like is also plenty, let alone 200!!!!

Yes. I have like half that and got II's at both. 40 I feel like is also plenty, let alone 200!!!!
I agree, I have about 40 shadowing a D.O. and 160 total. Most docs don't want you in the office more than a couple days unless they are family friends etc..

For those of you who received an acceptance maybe you can comment on this?

Last edited:
I am positive I heard 400 because I even asked to double check I heard correctly! I was just as shocked as you are! I feel that maybe it was stretched as such because they wanted to make a point that they wanted applicants that knew about the DO program instead of ppl just thinking DO is easier than MD so let me just do DO.

But thanks so much for your response! Makes me feel much better. Wish I didn't wait so long nowwww!

That’s insane!! I can say when I applied I only had 20 for a DO and received an II.

I think shadowing hours are equivalent to just general clinical hours, the secondary kind of alluded to this

To those of you who've gotten IIs/have been admitted, do you mind sharing your stats?

Checked just now and my Portal updated: Rejected. Best of luck to you all!!

Email update checked my portal got rejected. 9/7 interview best of luck to the rest of you.

in pomona for the interview...loving it so far! hope to see some of you guys at the social tonight :)

Sorry to hear. What does the portal look like when you're rejected?
It has a thing near the top that's highlighted in yellow which says:

"Status Update
An update to your application was last posted [[DATE]].

View Update >>"

It shows the decision letter (at least for rejections) if you click it.

It has a thing near the top that's highlighted in yellow which says:

"Status Update
An update to your application was last posted [[DATE]].

View Update >>"

It shows the decision letter (at least for rejections) if you click it.

Same setup for the acceptances.

Do they serve breakfast?

And sorry to hear that some of you didn't get in :(

REJECTED, I had a feeling that the delay was for rejects lol
Oh well

Rejected, cried for this one

I'm so sorry! Was definitely rooting for ya. However, you do have three acceptances and know you are going to become a Dr. which is AMAZING!! The doc I work for now always says "You'll end up where you are supposed to go."

I'm so sorry! Was definitely rooting for ya. However, you do have three acceptances and know you are going to become a Dr. which is AMAZING!! The doc I work for now always says "You'll end up where you are supposed to go."

Aw, you're so sweet. Honestly, genuine responses on SDN are rare. For what it's worth... I really wanted to go to WesternU because I wanted to be close to my grandmother, not because I particularly connected with WesternU in any special way haha. My grandmother has dementia, and the only people who visit her at her nursing home are my mom and I. I had a chance to go to Columbia University for grad school but I settled for UCLA (not a bad settlement haha) because I wanted to be near her at the time as well... As painful as WesternU's rejection has been, I honestly think this is the universe's way of telling me, "it's okay to go..."

Reactions: 16 users
So I know I'm like several months late, but does Lebanon screen secondaries pretty hard? I got mine 3 weeks after submission

Interviewed here today and fell in love :love: Great school, awesome students, and relaxed interview. I can definitely see myself going here!

Have many people who previously applied MD gotten acceptances here? I was grilled pretty hard at both comp interviews over my previous MD application. Really made me feel like they have no interest in people that applied MD first.

does pomona ask everyone to upload pics regardless of admission decision?