2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am seriously considering driving to one of the previews they offer to let them know I am still interested for an interview.. I have heard too many stories of applicants doing that and getting an interview invite the next day so I am hoping for the same luck!

Ditto. Will be making the 17 hour drive.

Members don't see this ad.

These rejection waves are scary... I submitted 8/10 which makes me feel like I've been complete forever but thanks to LOR issues I didn't get processed until early-mid September so I guess I've only really been complete about a month. Hoping I get a Lebanon II soon.

II today for Pomona campus. Complete 08/08

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ayyyy. Got II to Pomona! Finally! Complete 8/2.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone on here who interviewed on 10/5?

You know....I still never heard anything from my 9/7 interview in Lebanon. Tried to contact them. No response. I guess that's for sure a waitlist or rejection.

You know....I still never heard anything from my 9/7 interview in Lebanon. Tried to contact them. No response. I guess that's for sure a waitlist or rejection.

That's pretty unprofessional to not even give you a courtesy update. We spend so much time, energy and money on the process, and that's the bare minimum of what is deserved.

Reactions: 1 user
10/05 Pomona interviewers (or any other Pomona interviewers who haven't heard back yet post-interview), does your portal no longer show that you submitted the supplemental material (AKA passport photo)? That just disappeared from my portal today..

10/05 Pomona interviewers (or any other Pomona interviewers who haven't heard back yet post-interview), does your portal no longer show that you submitted the supplemental material (AKA passport photo)? That just disappeared from my portal today..

Omg is that a good sign?!

Just got an II this morning!!

This happened to me as well. Probably just means they downloaded your file.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone tried e-mailing admissions after being accepted and received a response? If so who did ya e-mail because I haven't gotten a response.

That's pretty unprofessional to not even give you a courtesy update. We spend so much time, energy and money on the process, and that's the bare minimum of what is deserved.
I agree. It definitely was the most expensive interview for me to get to and one I had been really excited about. It has without a doubt limited my enthusiasm about the school as a whole.

On the application in the research section, do they only allow you to put one research project in there?

Accepted at the Lebanon campus! Interviewed 10/5!

Rejected through portal guys really liked this school. BOL to everyone else! Still have an interview at a Cali school. Crossing my fingers

I received the e-mail first of a portal change then literally a minute later got the call for Dr. Kanpal (sp?)
well at least i am glad you have mentioned it. I have been refreshing my tab since the last 40 minutes.

Congrats btw. u Rock!

Alternate list? That would be my guess for me now lol
Yup. for a second i thought you said wait-list and had this long thing written out to encourage you. well my mistake.

But i am thinking the same thing.

I received an interview invite yesterday (out of state resident) and the only date option was 12/7. Anyone else have this issue?

Rejected through portal guys really liked this school. BOL to everyone else! Still have an interview at a Cali school. Crossing my fingers

Sorry to hear that :( Did you feel good after your interview? I'm so anxious to hear back...

Best of luck on everything!!

Sorry to hear that :( Did you feel good after your interview? I'm so anxious to hear back...

Best of luck on everything!!
Haha..not at all. I fumbled on a couple questions but at least I got my feet wet and am ready for my next interview.

Trying to decide between sending in a letter from my PI or an ER doc I scribed for. Both are MDs. Any advice on what they might like? The extra clinical exposure or research. Both are pretty strong letters and I already have a letter from a DO I shadowed.

Anyone else interview on 10/5 and waiting for a decision? I'm growing more paranoid that I've been rejected by the minute

Accepted to Lebanon! Interviewed 10/5.

Did they update you on a Saturday? Or was this from earlier in the week? Also, congrats!
I got a phone call this past Thursday, but I didn't check my portal until today. And thanks! :)

Welp, I'll take that lack of a response from COMP this week as a rejection/WL. That's a bummer.

Interviewed Oct 12th. Any idea when we will hear back?

Exciting news for those who got in today or any day really! One step closer to your goal!

As as second year here at COMP I have some thoughts. It is lengthy but a few of my classmates and I feel like you need to hear some things so PLEASE READ, it will help I promise!!

A few of my classmates and I were talking about what advice we could give to interviewees/people deciding which acceptance to take.
And the best statement we could come up with is: if westernu is your only choice for medical school than take it. If not then go somewhere else (even if it means leaving the state) especially if you got accepted into an MD school.

I know they make everything sound nice and easy and helpful but that simply isn't the truth, I don't think it's malicious in intent but the administration paints a prettier picture of the school than what actually happens.

First we waste so much time here in mandatory classes. By the end of second semester of 2nd year you just walk around the omm lab (they say it's reviewing but it's not) for 4 hours a week, and then spend another 4 hours a week in ecm ( which is more helpful but not when boards are approaching)

We have Issm which has random assignment that are due and small groups where you talk about stuff like what is your best learning style. (We are 2nd years in med school I think we get it be now) and it's so stressful trying to keep track of all the "filler assignments" and it's all mandatory. We had to take 2 tests for issm that we had to take individually and then as a group which we were not allowed to have the answers to and somehow this is supposed to be "helping us board study"

They say that rotations are easy to get and that >90% get their first choice. Sure that did happen but only because we ran a mock lottery for rotations as a class and most of the people had to compromise to at least their 4th choice. So when they submitted their choice for rotations most people did get the 1st choice they submitted but that was only after weeks of trying to save your ratation schedule and barter/beg with your class mates. Honestly most stressful 3 weeks of my life.

Also they say rotations are regional. They are not. I am going from la to Orange County to San Diego to up north and that's all 4 months in a row. And they don't help you with living arrangements or anything that's on you. Also I have had friends whose rotations were cancelled and are currently in limbo and we are supposed to start rotations in a month. We also have to do all our own paperwork for rotations (which is different for evert sight so we are taking hundreds of forms)and I literally sat for a whole day at the computer trying to figure it out during what is supposed to be dedicated board study time, and the rotations office though they try really isn't helpful with all this. You kinda just have you pray you did it right and hope you don't get dropped from your rotation.

And then to boot 4th year rotations are figured out all on your own. Sooo that's going to be interesting (talking to friends who are current 3rd years makes this sound like a nightmare)

You are groomed to go into family medicine here. There are a few people who match into other specialties ever year but those are few and far between and they have stellar step 1 scores like 95th percentile stuff. So if family practice isn't your thing think somewhere else.

There is so much more I could tell you and feel free to private message me any questions you have and I promise I will answer them honestly. I am glad I am at westernu because I am going to be a doctor in 2 years but that's the only reason why. I got accepted into an out of state MD school (who got double the board study time we do ) and I kick myself every day especially trying to study for boards now, I realize what a mistake I made and wish I could go back in time. Go to a school that respects your time more you can always move back for residency (it's easier to do that then try to stay in cali with a bad step 1)

If this is your only choice congrats and see you around! if not honestly think about it, 4 years are going to fly by and trust me a lot of my class wishes they just would have taken that out of state acceptance.

Hey DOToBE1234 I was reading last years thread to gain more insight on student opinions. How would you say your third year is going? Has your opinion changed at all for the things you have mentioned about rotations and preparation for boards?

Also, do any other students here have any other opinions to offer?