2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got secondary OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Also, what if your clinical experience was through a program, and not with a particular physician? Do you just omit that clinical experience?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what if your clinical experience was through a program, and not with a particular physician? Do you just omit that clinical experience?
I had a similar situation, but in place of the name I just put the program name. I'm sure they will understand.

Anyone else still not receive a secondary..?

I haven't but I submitted late June. Based on what I've seen I'll probably get mine in 7-10 days

Can y'all post your complete dates when you say you received your secondary? Thanks :D

I haven't but I submitted late June. Based on what I've seen I'll probably get mine in 7-10 days

Can y'all post your complete dates when you say you received your secondary? Thanks :D

I was verified 6/16 and received my secondary this morning

Question about the "clinical experience" section. Is it only for shadowing experience? What if we volunteered at a hospital?

Question about the "clinical experience" section. Is it only for shadowing experience? What if we volunteered at a hospital?

I have the same question. It won't let you move on unless you select MD or DO. Also I didnt shadow at the hospital, I just volunteered, so I feel a bit confused.

I have the same question. It won't let you move on unless you select MD or DO. Also I didnt shadow at the hospital, I just volunteered, so I feel a bit confused.

I think they just specifically want shadowing otherwise they would have asked for volunteering or actual clinical experiences. They can see your volunteering and stuff on your primary. But it's worth an email to them to ask about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they just specifically want shadowing otherwise they would have asked for volunteering or actual clinical experiences. They can see your volunteering and stuff on your primary. But it's worth an email to them to ask about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for your input. Makes me feel more at rest. :)

Thanks for your input. Makes me feel more at rest. :)

Could you let us know what they say in the email if you sent one? Also I was wondering if we should include multiple research experiences on the research section if we did more then one.

Edit: NVM I'm an idiot :wacky:

Last edited:
Hi all,

Has anyone attended a westernu preview day? If so, how was your experience? I'm thinking about coming down from northern California because their email mentioned being able to have your admissions questions answered. Does this mean there will be opportunities to meet with admissions reps one on one or will there be a large town hall style admissions event. Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
The Process

Just curious - does this school have a minimum GPA cutoff that you need to meet in order to receive a secondary?

Does the 500 word limit mean that our essays are expected to be near 500 words? Seems really long for some of the prompts but I'm sure it depends on how you approach answering the question.

Does the 500 word limit mean that our essays are expected to be near 500 words? Seems really long for some of the prompts but I'm sure it depends on how you approach answering the question.

I did 500 for each but that's because I had written a lot and obviously needed to cut down.

Not necessarily. It is more important not to exceed the word limit. As long as you get the point across, you should be fine. If you don't have 500 words to say and try to insert word fillers, it can make your essay sound like you're rambling. Bottom line- don't be afraid to be under the 500 word limit. Even 250 words should be fine as long as you get the message across. Quality over quantity :)

Reactions: 1 users
It seems that I have access to both Pomona and Pacific Northwest portals, but I can only fill out the one for the Pomona campus because I need to be invited for the Pacific Northwest, is this true for all of you too?

It seems that I have access to both Pomona and Pacific Northwest portals, but I can only fill out the one for the Pomona campus because I need to be invited for the Pacific Northwest, is this true for all of you too?
Yeah!

Could you let us know what they say in the email if you sent one? Also I was wondering if we should include multiple research experiences on the research section if we did more then one.

I thought about it and decided to just write in my shadowing and submitted it over the weekend.

Got a secondary!
Verified 7/3
Secondary 7/28

I submitted my secondary on 7/28.
But on the Status page of WesternU's Portal, I'm still "awaiting" to be "Processed by Enrollment Data Services (EDS)".

Has anyone completed Processing by Enrollment Data Services?

Hey there- I'm going to try to assuage some of your stress- I'm a reapplicant who received a secondary last time. I've drastically improved my app, but haven't recieved a secondary for this cycle. Based on this, I'm pretty sure they just send out secondaries to their highest tier candidates first. Last time I didn't receive a secondary till January! But eventually I did- and hopefully we'll all get one this cycle as well! Hope this perspective helps, so don't get too anxious about it yet! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Got a secondary today!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I received a secondary from Pomona about a week ago and Lebanon today.

NICE!! congrats! IS? do you mind sharing your stats?

I am still waiting on my DO letter of rec though so although I am happy to get the secondary I can't be complete until I get that darn thing.

Stats: IS, 507 mcat, 3.5-3.6 cGPA and sGPA, non-URM

Having trouble with this prompt if anyone could give me some input please? :bang:

"While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?"

My personal statement already talks about this and my experience with an endocrinologist. Do I basically just repeat it or do I add to it with my family medicine and OMM shadowing?

Having trouble with this prompt if anyone could give me some input please? :bang:

"While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?"

My personal statement already talks about this and my experience with an endocrinologist. Do I basically just repeat it or do I add to it with my family medicine and OMM shadowing?

Goro said mentioning OMM is golden for DO

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there- I'm going to try to assuage some of your stress- I'm a reapplicant who received a secondary last time. I've drastically improved my app, but haven't recieved a secondary for this cycle. Based on this, I'm pretty sure they just send out secondaries to their highest tier candidates first. Last time I didn't receive a secondary till January! But eventually I did- and hopefully we'll all get one this cycle as well! Hope this perspective helps, so don't get too anxious about it yet! :)
thanks for the positive thoughts! :) good luck with everything!

For prompt 2 (most memorable activity & how it impacted me), is it ok if I talk about something not medically related? or is medical-related preferred?

I wanted to talk about how I volunteered at a refugee assistance org and it improved my self-awareness and empowered me to advocate for social justice & equality in health care etc.

there's a bunch of sections for clinical, research, and teaching experience. Do you think we need to repeat the stuff from our primary?
Yeah, I am going to re-word the descriptions from my primary. Anybody have a different plan?

Yeah, I am going to re-word the descriptions from my primary. Anybody have a different plan?
When i clicked the clinical section it was designed for just shadowing entry, so im going to trust that they can read my primary and just skip it. the other two are yes/no questions, so i guess i'll be forced to fill them out.

Hi all,

Has anyone attended a westernu preview day? If so, how was your experience? I'm thinking about coming down from northern California because their email mentioned being able to have your admissions questions answered. Does this mean there will be opportunities to meet with admissions reps one on one or will there be a large town hall style admissions event. Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
The Process

I have attended their Preview day twice. Once last cycle and again this cycle as a re-applicant. When you arrive in the morning they have all the health science professions tables out there so you can talk to whichever you want to learn more from or hope to attend one day. The day isn't specific to DO at first. After breakfast, you go to one of the large classrooms that sits well over 200 people and they give an overall discussion about how the DO program is, what you can expect, curriculum, etc. There is a small OMM presentation then a Q&A for general questions. You can then attend a financial aid talk or leave early and line up to ask an admin personal question specific to you.

Also to those who are worrying about not receiving a secondary. An admissions counselors did say during preview day that they download apps from AACOMAS only on Thursdays. I dont know how often they send out secondaries or other decisions, but expect major changes once a week, usually on a Friday.