2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Recently, when I check the portal, on my application status page the transcripts from all the schools I've attended have awaiting arrival next to them and a red x. What does this mean? I thought they didn't request transcripts from you until after you were accepted.

You should call to ask. I didn't have that on my portal.
Recently, when I check the portal, on my application status page the transcripts from all the schools I've attended have awaiting arrival next to them and a red x. What does this mean? I thought they didn't request transcripts from you until after you were accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I had the same thing randomly pop up on my portal for this school. I thought they receive our transcripts through the AACOMAS application. I sent all my transcipts into AACOMAS and I thought they send it out to the schools we applied to.

Last edited:
Anyone going to Preview this Saturday? I'm still waiting for my interview invite :( Complete early Septembre with a LizzyM of 69. I'm a CA resident at a top 20 as well

I think this may have been asked already, but is there an essay portion this year? I know there was one last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this may have been asked already, but is there an essay portion this year? I know there was one last year.
No essay portion - they lay out what to expect in the II e-mail and associated link

Reactions: 1 user
They're probably trying to find the best of both worlds. There has been a faculty member who said that some students admitted to c/o 2019 should not been accepted due to ~"personality issues". I get that feeling with some of the 2021 students. All I can say is that I hope you guys have decent writing ability if you're wondering when you're getting II's.

I think I know a few who fit that mold. It was my assumption though that there are gunners in every class.

Kind of curious though.. Is what a certain surgeon says about our class (being the worst of all the classes) the actual genuine consensus among the professors? Because if so, that kind of sucks haha. I kind of like my classmates even though I admit that if I were adcom, a few of the might have not made the cut based on personality.

That said, I'm not sure you could pick a class that isn't committing a lot of the sins we're being accused of. There are some really dumb things like not following instructions and paying attention in classes. But there are other things like our class not attending lectures. If you go on /r/medschool or other boards like sdn, it seems to be the case that everyone is suggesting to not attend lectures. Like if we're getting pegged for that, I don't know..

Is what a certain surgeon says about our class (being the worst of all the classes) the actual genuine consensus among the professors?

That said, I'm not sure you could pick a class that isn't committing a lot of the sins we're being accused of. There are some really dumb things like not following instructions and paying attention in classes. But there are other things like our class not attending lectures.

What that professor says does not reflect what the others think. She's just very low in agreeableness and openness and high in orderliness. And you guys are apparently behind the curve in collectively understanding the game that goes on in the workshops. Our class treated it like how the military "does things by the numbers". We make mistakes, but it's stuff like being slow or sometimes needed something repeated because we didn't ignore some talkative TAs who should not have been talking at that moment. Our first time, we had someone in semiformal attire instead of scrubs, but we also had a classmate who had extra scrubs and we were able to save the day (barely).

Your normal ECM professor will give you a fairly objective assessment of "how you guys are though". He's really chill, but since you all are GUESTS on every rotation (since we have no teaching hospital), we cannot afford to have any terrible personalities or unprofessional student doctors doing something that will cause a rotation to ban WesternU students. And yes, your class has some "concerning" people who stand out easily.

Not following instructions is really easy to avoid. Do you have an SGA member who posts your entire weekly agenda with reminders on FaceBook? Ours reminds us about proper attire and assignments, etc. As for attending lectures, as long as you attend lectures given by guest physicians or people from other institutions, it's just butthurt PhDs and there will be no real issues. I also notice that if a class is performing really well while not attending lectures, admin usually don't say anything so maybe you guys are skipping lectures and not doing too well. We have been talked to for skipping lectures, but if it was a certain nephrologist talking to you, then that person is very very sensitive about people skipping lectures so don't worry about them.

Feel free to respond via PM <.<

X

Last edited:
Interviewed in Pomona on October 26; heard back yesterday via e-mail linking to a portal change. Would expect others who interviewed on the same date to hear back soon!

I interviewed that day as well and still have not heard. What group were you in and if you don't mind answering, were you accepted?

Does what group color you were a part of affect when you hear back from your interview? Had mine on 11/9

The lady at the admissions center said that you should expect to hear back 4-6 weeks but actually longer cuss they've already received like 6k applicants and by February they've already given out 50% of IIs.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey does anyone know if Western is receptive to update letters?

The lady at the admissions center said that you should expect to hear back 4-6 weeks but actually longer cuss they've already received like 6k applicants and by February they've already given out 50% of IIs.
Oh my goodness, thank you sooooo much for putting me at ease. I am on the same boat as you are and it's great to know that it's just a matter of a little more patience. Also, a counselor from the recruitment office said admissions takes a while to go through their applicants because they like to thoroughly dissect every application.

Interviewed on the 9th of this month! Really loved the campus and thought the interview went pretty darn well.

For those who have interviewed at the Pomona campus, any tips for the panel or MMI interview and how to prepare?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this place silently rejects or would you get an email from they saying you're no longer in the running? It's been all quiet on the western front (apologies for the terrible pun) and I'm curious if I should call them or hang tight. Thanks and best of luck to all!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if this place silently rejects or would you get an email from they saying you're no longer in the running? It's been all quiet on the western front (apologies for the terrible pun) and I'm curious if I should call them or hang tight. Thanks and best of luck to all!
They said if they reject you, you'll know

Reactions: 3 users
I didn't :( Did you go?

What didn't you like about it??

I went. I thought it went pretty smoothly and was glad to see that there were at least a few opportunities for DO students to do some sort of research.

What didn't you like about it??

I went. I thought it went pretty smoothly and was glad to see that there were at least a few opportunities for DO students to do some sort of research.
I didn't like the fact that the classes were broadcasted..and that we were going to be the trial-run for the new curriculum they're implementing.

Can those of you who went to Preview Day comment on the changes that they are planning to make to the curriculum? You can PM me if you want. Thank you!
They didn’t say anything specific. Just that there were a ton of redundancies and they’re using this new program/method to figure it all out. Apparently in a few months they’ll know more about the curriculum change

Can those of you who went to Preview Day comment on the changes that they are planning to make to the curriculum? You can PM me if you want. Thank you!

They talked about it during the interview day. Essentially, they want to cut back on how many hours students spend in class. In my opinion, this is a good change. Other schools show really nice results between cutting back on class time and improved student exam/COMLEX scores.

Reactions: 4 users
Barely submitted my secondary yesterday (verified in October). Anyone know what they said on Preview Day regarding the status of the next upcoming interviews?

Is anyone else interviewing on 11/30 and staying at the Comfort Inn near Fairplex? If anyone is and wants to uber/lyft together, inbox me!

Accepted to Pomona! Interviewed on 10/26 with the blue group :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I get so anxious looking through this thread because this is my top choice and I haven't gotten a II, when I submitted in late Sept.
LizzyM ~ 63.

I get so anxious looking through this thread because this is my top choice and I haven't gotten a II, when I submitted in late Sept.
LizzyM ~ 63.
Submitted late august with Lizzym 63 and I got an interview early this month. There is hope!

Don’t get it :/ submitted mid September with a Lizzy score of 69 with nothing...should I sent in a letter of interest??

Accepted to both campuses!

Reactions: 1 users
Heartbroken for the 3rd and final time. I guess it just wasn't meant to be with WesternU. I took their advice after being on interview hold last year with re-taking several pre-requistes and got a 4.0 in all of them. Submitted in August and just now got rejected. Letters from their own professors and volunteering with their programs.... I wanted to go here so badly. Oh well. Good luck to the rest of you!