2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im sorry to hear this. As a third time applicant I understand the resolve it takes to continually improve yourself and your application. I hope your efforts dont go unnoticed to other schools.
thank you so much! It means a lot :) I hope you get some luck this cycle if you haven't already!

Members don't see this ad.

1sr year here. Sorry to hear of those rejected--hopefully you get in somewhere just as good or better!

I can answer any questions you may have. In addition, providing your LizzyM with your rejection or acceptance can be very helpful for other users. I find it helpful myself, since I have an interest in where the school is headed and why they make certain choices. The admissions process is truly a crapshoot and one thing is sure, don't take the decisions personally. There are some in my class that I literally can't believe got accepted (especially since med school is a seller's market and there were over 10k applicants to COMP last year) and others who are geniuses you'd expect to encounter in an ivy league context. Anyways, this process is ridiculous for everyone involved.

Hey there!! I was accepted to Western Pomona and was curious if you could give any advice on apartments in the area or which areas are good to live in.

Also, would you mind commenting on this students comment from last years thread? I tried reaching out to him/her but they never got back to me. The topics talked about are a little concerning and would just like another’s opinion on it.

“DOToBE1234 said:
A few of my classmates and I were talking about what advice we could give to interviewees/people deciding which acceptance to take.
And the best statement we could come up with is: if westernu is your only choice for medical school than take it. If not then go somewhere else (even if it means leaving the state) especially if you got accepted into an MD school.

I know they make everything sound nice and easy and helpful but that simply isn't the truth, I don't think it's malicious in intent but the administration paints a prettier picture of the school than what actually happens.

First we waste so much time here in mandatory classes. By the end of second semester of 2nd year you just walk around the omm lab (they say it's reviewing but it's not) for 4 hours a week, and then spend another 4 hours a week in ecm ( which is more helpful but not when boards are approaching)

We have Issm which has random assignment that are due and small groups where you talk about stuff like what is your best learning style. (We are 2nd years in med school I think we get it be now) and it's so stressful trying to keep track of all the "filler assignments" and it's all mandatory. We had to take 2 tests for issm that we had to take individually and then as a group which we were not allowed to have the answers to and somehow this is supposed to be "helping us board study"

They say that rotations are easy to get and that >90% get their first choice. Sure that did happen but only because we ran a mock lottery for rotations as a class and most of the people had to compromise to at least their 4th choice. So when they submitted their choice for rotations most people did get the 1st choice they submitted but that was only after weeks of trying to save your ratation schedule and barter/beg with your class mates. Honestly most stressful 3 weeks of my life.

Also they say rotations are regional. They are not. I am going from la to Orange County to San Diego to up north and that's all 4 months in a row. And they don't help you with living arrangements or anything that's on you. Also I have had friends whose rotations were cancelled and are currently in limbo and we are supposed to start rotations in a month. We also have to do all our own paperwork for rotations (which is different for evert sight so we are taking hundreds of forms)and I literally sat for a whole day at the computer trying to figure it out during what is supposed to be dedicated board study time, and the rotations office though they try really isn't helpful with all this. You kinda just have you pray you did it right and hope you don't get dropped from your rotation.

And then to boot 4th year rotations are figured out all on your own. Sooo that's going to be interesting (talking to friends who are current 3rd years makes this sound like a nightmare)

You are groomed to go into family medicine here. There are a few people who match into other specialties ever year but those are few and far between and they have stellar step 1 scores like 95th percentile stuff. So if family practice isn't your thing think somewhere else.

There is so much more I could tell you and feel free to private message me any questions you have and I promise I will answer them honestly. I am glad I am at westernu because I am going to be a doctor in 2 years but that's the only reason why. I got accepted into an out of state MD school (who got double the board study time we do ) and I kick myself every day especially trying to study for boards now, I realize what a mistake I made and wish I could go back in time. Go to a school that respects your time more you can always move back for residency (it's easier to do that then try to stay in cali with a bad step 1)

If this is your only choice congrats and see you around! if not honestly think about it, 4 years are going to fly by and trust me a lot of my class wishes they just would have taken that out of state acceptance.”

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

I am interviewing next week at Pomona Campus.
Can anyone who interviewed here share your experience in detail? It seems like "interview will not be friendly" is what most of you are saying regarding this school.

Also, if I am interviewing next week, am I early or late in the cycle for this specific school? There were 2 interview date options given to me, one in December (next week) and one in late January. You think it's wise to push my interview day to January so I can prepare myself more since interview is going to arduous? I have zero experience in MMI as well. What is your advice on preparing for MMI?

What is post interview acceptance rate here?

I know I am asking a lot of questions.
I would really appreciate anyone who can help me find answers to these questions.

Thank you in advance!

Hey there! First thing I would like to say is my panel interview was incredibly friendly. I didn’t feel like they were drilling me or anything like that. I’ve seen that some people say they were quizzed why DO over MD but i never got that. I talked about it within my answers to other questions though so maybe that’s why. My best advice is just always remember when you are talking why DO remember MD’s can be holistic too. I think i talked more about why western than specifically why DO.

The MMI took me by surprise lol I did another MMI which was pretty friendly prior to this one but this one was...I’ll admit kind of awkward/intimidating. I only say this because of how serious the people took the scenario you got. It was a little awkward because sometimes I didn’t get the feedback I expected and my best advice to that if you feel that way is to just keep trying and keep thinking of new ideas to talk about. There’s no perfect way to prepare and it’s actually pretty difficult to prepare for because you never know what situation they will put you in. I googled some MMI scenarios and printed them, gave myself a couple minutes to read question and walked into my office where my sister was sitting like the interviewer and we talked for awhile and then repeat. That’s all the practice I did as well as just some google reading on how to attack ethical situations but it’s basically “be a good human being and you’ll be fine” lol.

I definitely,100%, think you should take the earliest interview. That’s all I have to say on that lol.

I have prepared for almost every one of my interviews the same way. I made sure I had a solid response to why DO as well as doing a lot of research as to what I like about the school (reasons why I want to attend) this included any programs I was interested in and why and what I can contribute to the program to make it better, the residencies around the area I’m interested in, and why I believe the school is the right fit for me. If you are into OMM then talk about it but have reasons/experience as to why you have interest otherwise they are just gonna think you are telling them what they want to hear.

I also made sure to have answers to the typical standard interview questions as far as what’s my biggest weakness and how I’m improving it, what’s my greatest accomplishment, what’s a time I failed, you know those typical questions you could potentially get in any interview.

Don’t have your answers memorized because you don’t want to sound like a robot but at least think about these types of questions and have ideas that you can talk about if need be. And maybe those ideas can even help answer other questions that they ask that you didn’t prepare for. That happened to me for a couple.

I hope this was helpful for you! Good luck next week!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed 11/9 or later hear back from them yet? I really don't want to submit a deposit (2k deposit) for this other school and Pomona is the only other school I have an actual interest in attending...

driving me crazy

Anyone who interviewed 11/9 or later hear back from them yet? I really don't want to submit a deposit (2k deposit) for this other school and Pomona is the only other school I have an actual interest in attending...

driving me crazy
Same boat here. Seems like it should have been today but with thanksgiving they probably are pushed back by another a week.

driving me crazy
I interviewed 11/30 and based on what they told us, the 11/9 should be hearing back in ~1 week; during our presentation, they said the panel was currently reviewing the last batch of interviews, which was 11/9.

Withdrew my acceptance to Lebanon, and my interview invite to Pomona. Good luck to everyone!

Hey there!! I was accepted to Western Pomona and was curious if you could give any advice on apartments in the area or which areas are good to live in.

Also, would you mind commenting on this students comment from last years thread? I tried reaching out to him/her but they never got back to me. The topics talked about are a little concerning and would just like another’s opinion on it.

“DOToBE1234 said:
A few of my classmates and I were talking about what advice we could give to interviewees/people deciding which acceptance to take.
And the best statement we could come up with is: if westernu is your only choice for medical school than take it. If not then go somewhere else (even if it means leaving the state) especially if you got accepted into an MD school.

I know they make everything sound nice and easy and helpful but that simply isn't the truth, I don't think it's malicious in intent but the administration paints a prettier picture of the school than what actually happens.

First we waste so much time here in mandatory classes. By the end of second semester of 2nd year you just walk around the omm lab (they say it's reviewing but it's not) for 4 hours a week, and then spend another 4 hours a week in ecm ( which is more helpful but not when boards are approaching)

We have Issm which has random assignment that are due and small groups where you talk about stuff like what is your best learning style. (We are 2nd years in med school I think we get it be now) and it's so stressful trying to keep track of all the "filler assignments" and it's all mandatory. We had to take 2 tests for issm that we had to take individually and then as a group which we were not allowed to have the answers to and somehow this is supposed to be "helping us board study"

They say that rotations are easy to get and that >90% get their first choice. Sure that did happen but only because we ran a mock lottery for rotations as a class and most of the people had to compromise to at least their 4th choice. So when they submitted their choice for rotations most people did get the 1st choice they submitted but that was only after weeks of trying to save your ratation schedule and barter/beg with your class mates. Honestly most stressful 3 weeks of my life.

Also they say rotations are regional. They are not. I am going from la to Orange County to San Diego to up north and that's all 4 months in a row. And they don't help you with living arrangements or anything that's on you. Also I have had friends whose rotations were cancelled and are currently in limbo and we are supposed to start rotations in a month. We also have to do all our own paperwork for rotations (which is different for evert sight so we are taking hundreds of forms)and I literally sat for a whole day at the computer trying to figure it out during what is supposed to be dedicated board study time, and the rotations office though they try really isn't helpful with all this. You kinda just have you pray you did it right and hope you don't get dropped from your rotation.

And then to boot 4th year rotations are figured out all on your own. Sooo that's going to be interesting (talking to friends who are current 3rd years makes this sound like a nightmare)

You are groomed to go into family medicine here. There are a few people who match into other specialties ever year but those are few and far between and they have stellar step 1 scores like 95th percentile stuff. So if family practice isn't your thing think somewhere else.

There is so much more I could tell you and feel free to private message me any questions you have and I promise I will answer them honestly. I am glad I am at westernu because I am going to be a doctor in 2 years but that's the only reason why. I got accepted into an out of state MD school (who got double the board study time we do ) and I kick myself every day especially trying to study for boards now, I realize what a mistake I made and wish I could go back in time. Go to a school that respects your time more you can always move back for residency (it's easier to do that then try to stay in cali with a bad step 1)

If this is your only choice congrats and see you around! if not honestly think about it, 4 years are going to fly by and trust me a lot of my class wishes they just would have taken that out of state acceptance.”

I actually really want to do family medicine, and its one of the reasons why I'm pursuing DO so strongly. Is it beneficial to bring up interest in the interviews, or is this a question they ask you anyways? I know a lot of very successful family practice drs from western

Western is playing games with my heart, mind, and soul. I called over a month ago to check that everything was okay with my app because I was verified Aug 23. The woman said I should hear a response within “a week or so”. 6 weeks later... still silence.

Interviewing 12/7 and starting to get the pre-interview jitters! Who else is interviewing that day? Any MMI advice?

Last edited:

“DOToBE1234 said:

PMd you
Anyone else can PM me for the response as well

I actually really want to do family medicine, and its one of the reasons why I'm pursuing DO so strongly. Is it beneficial to bring up interest in the interviews, or is this a question they ask you anyways? I know a lot of very successful family practice drs from western

Sure I am as well and I did. Just make sure you have experiences to back it up just like you should for any interest in any specialty.

First year here.

Can any students comment on the Daumier Housing on campus?

Small. Seriously.. So small. And expensive. 1k$/2bdr2bath w/ a roommate. With a fullsized bed, a desk is a tight squeeze. The upside though is the mini-gym which is great for runners, but not that great for lifters. Another upside is the staff. Daum admin is fast and responsive.

Helix and 777 apartments (also basically on campus) are ~200 lower/mo. If you decide to live in the pomona area, the going rate for a room in a house seems to be about 500-600 w/ utilities.

During my interview day, the vibe I got from the current students was that most of them live in the Daumier Housing on campus. Main reason was that it made going to and from campus very convenient and they all basically said that as a med student you need all the time you can have in a day so might as well reduce the amount of time it takes to get from your room to campus.

I've interacted with maybe a fourth to half of the class? I'd say about 10% of the people I've interacted with live at the daum. A lot of the people who're like, "westernU is my life now," seem to live at the daum. Just my impression. If true, that explains why you saw so many of them interview day. As I understand it, the tour guides are volunteers.

Most people are commuters. Some from as far as newport beach. It's doable. Personally, I'd pay the premium to live on campus again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I am interviewing next week at Pomona Campus.
Can anyone who interviewed here share your experience in detail? It seems like "interview will not be friendly" is what most of you are saying regarding this school.

Also, if I am interviewing next week, am I early or late in the cycle for this specific school? There were 2 interview date options given to me, one in December (next week) and one in late January. You think it's wise to push my interview day to January so I can prepare myself more since interview is going to arduous? I have zero experience in MMI as well. What is your advice on preparing for MMI?

What is post interview acceptance rate here?

I know I am asking a lot of questions.
I would really appreciate anyone who can help me find answers to these questions.

Thank you in advance!

Most of this information will be provided during the interview, and given that the acceptance numbers may have changed since I interviewed, I think it would be best for you to hear this information from the admissions team. But to give you some insight, I think it's better if interview sooner than later. The application is rolling, so the sooner you can get into the interview process means that you have a higher potential of being reviewed with seats remaining in the class. In regards to delaying the interview, ultimately its up to you. Having applied previously and interviewed, it is my opinion that much of what prepares you for you interview (particularly the MMI) are your past clinical experiences. I would re-visit these experiences, think of what you did right or what you could of done to improve that encounter. Remember, healthcare is all about improving on and providing patient-centered care. Think about how your interactions could help patients cope through their disadvantages. MMIs typically don't test medical knowledge and schools know you're a prospective doctor not a practicing physician, so don't get bogged down on learning how to signs and symptoms to make a diagnosis, which I think is a typical approach that some students take given their anxiety of the MMI.

If I could leave you with one thought, most of your preparation for the interview was complete during your education and extra-curricular work. Re-visit the skills or events that you developed or encountered that are unique to you and make sure that those skills or encounters shine in your interview.

Still waiting for Pomona, but I'm pulling my II for Lebanon! Hopefully, it goes to one of you!

I’m planning to withdraw my II from the Lebanon campus. It seems like a fantastic program but I do not see myself being happy at such a strongly rural location. For those who have withdrawn, did you just do so through the portal or emailed admissions?

I’m planning to withdraw my II from the Lebanon campus. It seems like a fantastic program but I do not see myself being happy at such a strongly rural location. For those who have withdrawn, did you just do so through the portal or emailed admissions?
Went through the portal!

To those who interviewed on 11/9, I feel like tomorrow is the day y’all

Is this going to bleed on to week 5 bc I’m losing it
If it helps, during my interview on 11/30 they stated our interview group will hear back by 12/22. So if that's an accurate projection, they must get through your interview group soon. Best of luck.

week 5 it is. I have a deposit due tomorrow for another school bye bye money

WAIT ACCEPTED THROUGH PORTAL!!!EVERYONE CHECK PORTAL!!! Interviewed 11/9

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have more recent COMLEX data than what they publish online (first-time pass + average scores, just for COMP not COMP-NW)?

I will most likely be withdrawing my acceptance from Pomona, I hope it goes to a wonderful person who will become a spectacular physician.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how to withdraw after acceptance? My portal doesn't have a withdraw button anymore so I'm assuming I have to e-mail.

Does anyone know how to withdraw after acceptance? My portal doesn't have a withdraw button anymore so I'm assuming I have to e-mail.

On the portal you have to either accept or decline acceptance. There should be a link under forms where you can do that.

On the portal you have to either accept or decline acceptance. There should be a link under forms where you can do that.

Yeah I accepted that awhile ago but I have recently been accepted to another school I've decided is a better fit. So not sure whats the best way to let them know since I won't be paying the deposit.

Yeah I accepted that awhile ago but I have recently been accepted to another school I've decided is a better fit. So not sure whats the best way to let them know since I won't be paying the deposit.

Oh, then you should probably email Martha Hulzar:
Admitted DO Students & DO Applicants
Martha Huizar
— Admissions Coordinator
(909) 469 – 5332
[email protected]

Still having an extremely difficult time deciding between DMU, KCU, and Western.. Since I'm from CA the logical side of me is telling me I should pick Western.. But the emotional side of me is telling me to choose DMU or KCU. Can anyone who has committed to this school or who is a current student at this school either PM me or reply to this giving me a couple reasons why you chose Western? It might help confirm for me that Western is the right choice. I'd really appreciate it! :)

Also is there a fb page for accepted students? :)

Still having an extremely difficult time deciding between DMU, KCU, and Western.. Since I'm from CA the logical side of me is telling me I should pick Western.. But the emotional side of me is telling me to choose DMU or KCU. Can anyone who has committed to this school or who is a current student at this school either PM me or reply to this giving me a couple reasons why you chose Western? It might help confirm for me that Western is the right choice. I'd really appreciate it! :)

I am in the same boat and I also recently interviewed at Touro - CA, I decided to pay the deposit for DMU. I couldn't bring myself to go to Western just to stay in CA when DMU seemed to offer so much more. I hope if I do end up going out of state 100% I can come back to CA for residency.

Also is there a fb page for accepted students? :)
wondering the same thing! I also received a call from one of the doctors there today congratulating me on my acceptance which I thought was a nice gesture.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from the 11/30 interview?
I remember Ms Hanson saying that we will hear back by the very latest on the 22nd. If you read the previous threads the 11/9 interviews were the last interview group before us and they heard back last week. Good luck.

Last edited:
@changbanggang @pinklimediluted @ALannisterPaysHisDebts
Thanks for the responses! Let's keep our fingers crossed :happy:

For those of you who have already been accepted, were you sent an email saying to check the portal or did you just happen to check and your status was updated? I have heard some of the staff like to call applicants to give good news as well.

What places are people looking into for apartments/housing? I'm trying to find some in Claremont, anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? :)

@changbanggang @pinklimediluted @ALannisterPaysHisDebts
Thanks for the responses! Let's keep our fingers crossed :happy:

For those of you who have already been accepted, were you sent an email saying to check the portal or did you just happen to check and your status was updated? I have heard some of the staff like to call applicants to give good news as well.
I just checked my portal. No email. Received a call the following Tuesday from the admissions staff for congratulations