2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe we'll hear something today, its the 3 week mark.

I think tomorrow is your day! Check your portals frequently throughout today

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think tomorrow is your day! Check your portals frequently throughout today

You will get an email notifying you that your portal has been updated. Best of luck to you all!

Yellow group represent! Still waiting to hear back as well! Constantly checking my email today :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey is it too late to send a secondary? I just got one today coz I submitted the primary super late. do they send secondaries to everyone? Am I realistically better off saving the money for next cycle?

Guys!! Check the portal. I didn’t get an email about portal update but it is updated.

Email recieved! Alternate. Interviewed 2/1 yellow group.

Was just informed I am an alternate, Interviewed 2/1 and I was on G-team. Do I still have a real chance of still getiing in?:(

this is my first interview that has MMI's and im a little nervous, any advice??

thanks you guys!

thanks you guys!
Just be yourself! There’s no way to prepare for it, it just tests social skills...

thanks you guys!
Try some Mmi scenarios from YouTube just to get comfortable. There are only two. Don’t stress it, the cliche advice of “be yourself” has never been more apt.

Still waiting to hear back from 2/1 interview day! Anyone else in the same boat??

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah mine is at the end of the alphabet too! Wonder if they’re doing it in alphabetical order

Hey is it too late to send a secondary? I just got one today coz I submitted the primary super late. do they send secondaries to everyone? Am I realistically better off saving the money for next cycle?

You lose out on every shot you don't take, so personally, I would send it in, if money isn't an issue. Plus, by submitting a primary, you're already considered a re-applicant if you decide to apply again next cycle, so might as well submit it!!

Please commend on "Attending Live Lectures" vs "Delayed Live Lectures Streaming".

It is hard to comment on this because I know the cohort currently entering COMP will be utilizing a different curriculum than my class and I've heard whispers that lectures might be mandatory from now on, but I cannot be sure. For my class we were required to attend anatomy lab, the essentials of clinical medicine classes (approximately 4 hours per week), and osteopathic principles and practice (approximately 4 hours per week).

What I found is that for the other courses I found myself performing significantly better by watching the lectures remotely vs attending them live. The reason being is that you can watch the lecture content at your own pace (i.e. slower or faster) and fit more study time in to your day as a result. With this being said our cohort was working off of the 40 class hours/week model while I hear that the entering cohort will be working off of a 28 class hours/week model.

There is also something else I want to comment on, because I see it consistently on these forums and to individuals I speak to in person. If you are extremely concerned about the amount of time spent learning the osteopathic principles and practice seriously ask yourself why you are applying to an osteopathic institution. If you have no interest in learning the osteopathic principles and practice please don't attend an osteopathic institution. You will not like it, you will end up complaining reflecting negatively on you and the institution you attend.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone! I'm a 1st year but I haven't been following this page but if you have any questions, let me know!

I've heard whispers that lectures might be mandatory from now on

God save the poor souls that're going to walk in on that mess. I would actually advise people away from westernu if they did that. I'm already of the opinion that we have too many mandatory sessions, which is approaching 3-4 hours/day this unit.

God save the poor souls that're going to walk in on that mess. I would actually advise people away from westernu if they did that. I'm already of the opinion that we have too many mandatory sessions, which is approaching 3-4 hours/day this unit.
At the interview, we were told that the students only come to school 2 days a week and rest of the week they watch lectures and study on their own.

Also, that the curriculum change might not be ready by the new class comes in.

Wonder what will actually happen!

I finally heard back! And I was rejected.
I will be attending AZCOM in the fall as this made the decision for me :) Good luck to you all!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I'm a 1st year but I haven't been following this page but if you have any questions, let me know!
Do you know what percentage of the alternate list got in for your year? I appreciate you helping us noobs out haha

anyone heard back from 2/15 interview group? :dead:

Rejected and so so disappointed. Best of luck to all of you!

Found out last friday and interviewed 2/1. They sent an email about a portal change.

Hi! Interviewing tomorrow, I was wondering if anyone had any tips and how you liked the school if you interviewed? :)

Feb. 15’ers! Checking my portal like a crazy person from earlier today even though they apparently (typically) don’t respond until Friday evening. So much anxiety!

Feb. 15’ers! Checking my portal like a crazy person from earlier today even though they apparently (typically) don’t respond until Friday evening. So much anxiety!

They will send you an email that there’s an update to your portal Just keep email notifications on and you’re good! Haha

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here because ive been offered a spot to a dream program back in my home town! Hope it goes to one of y’all looking to stay close to home too! (RIP my $1000 deposit)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hi, I am in same situation. Did you have any luck trying to get your deposit back? & did you just email them?

At the interview, we were told that the students only come to school 2 days a week and rest of the week they watch lectures and study on their own.

Also, that the curriculum change might not be ready by the new class comes in.

Wonder what will actually happen!

The two mandatory days they're referring to are clinical skills class and OMM. Those are indeed, typically without exception, required and take place over the course of two days during the week. I agree that these should be required even if I don't enjoy them.

There are also occasionally mandatory lectures. Every unit is slightly different, but this week worked out to at least one mandatory lecture/module per day. I'd say half of the lectures/modules this unit, blood and lymph, were required. No bueno. Other units such as anatomy had no mandatory lectures. None of the mandatory things this unit were helpful. Pretty disappointed that they're doing this.

Anywho, there are two possible conclusions from this: they don't trust us to self study (reasonable imo). they don't want to lecture to a nearly empty classroom (unreasonable imo). Either is plausible to me.

The two mandatory days they're referring to are clinical skills class and OMM. Those are indeed, typically without exception, required and take place over the course of two days during the week. I agree that these should be required even if I don't enjoy them.

There are also occasionally mandatory lectures. Every unit is slightly different, but this week worked out to at least one mandatory lecture/module per day. I'd say half of the lectures/modules this unit, blood and lymph, were required. No bueno. Other units such as anatomy had no mandatory lectures. None of the mandatory things this unit were helpful. Pretty disappointed that they're doing this.

Anywho, there are two possible conclusions from this: they don't trust us to self study (reasonable imo). they don't want to lecture to a nearly empty classroom (unreasonable imo). Either is plausible to me.

Thanks for sharing this info!

Would you say the occasional mandatory lectures thing is new or did the class above you have them as well? Also, are the vast majority of lectures still not mandatory?

Just trying to get a better sense for how it’ll be, although they mentioned the upcoming curriculum change was supposed to decrease “contact hours”.

Thanks for sharing this info!

Would you say the occasional mandatory lectures thing is new or did the class above you have them as well? Also, are the vast majority of lectures still not mandatory?

Just trying to get a better sense for how it’ll be, although they mentioned the upcoming curriculum change was supposed to decrease “contact hours”.

The class above us had the same small group problem based learning thing. Not sure how many hours theirs were. But there seems to be a few profs who are very very insistent that lecture attendance is good and should be mandated. I'm sure they have been and are pushing for more of these things.

Not sure if you're 2022, but if you are (hella congrats btw), the curriculum is supposed to be super revamped for y'all. Not sure what they're planning.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any updates regarding ISAC this summer? Will it still be offered?

As far as I know there are still interviews being held. There's one date on March 15th. Would really appreciate it if any one knew how many seats are currently filled for the DO program. Thanks so much!

Just confirmed that ISAC will be offered! Anyone planning on enrolling this summer?

As far as I know there are still interviews being held. There's one date on March 15th. Would really appreciate it if any one knew how many seats are currently filled for the DO program. Thanks so much!

I believe there are quite a bit of seats still left. From what I remember during 3/1 interview, I think they had under 200 seats filled for their class size of about 240.

I believe there are quite a bit of seats still left. From what I remember during 3/1 interview, I think they had under 200 seats filled for their class size of about 240.

Thanks! How did your interview go, if you don't mind me asking?