Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by chizledfrmstone, Apr 18, 2017.

1. michellesuzie

Pre-Medical
    Yeah mine is at the end of the alphabet too! Wonder if they’re doing it in alphabetical order

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Icebreaker05

Pre-Medical
    You lose out on every shot you don't take, so personally, I would send it in, if money isn't an issue. Plus, by submitting a primary, you're already considered a re-applicant if you decide to apply again next cycle, so might as well submit it!!

4. Loving DO

Medical Student
    It is hard to comment on this because I know the cohort currently entering COMP will be utilizing a different curriculum than my class and I've heard whispers that lectures might be mandatory from now on, but I cannot be sure. For my class we were required to attend anatomy lab, the essentials of clinical medicine classes (approximately 4 hours per week), and osteopathic principles and practice (approximately 4 hours per week).

What I found is that for the other courses I found myself performing significantly better by watching the lectures remotely vs attending them live. The reason being is that you can watch the lecture content at your own pace (i.e. slower or faster) and fit more study time in to your day as a result. With this being said our cohort was working off of the 40 class hours/week model while I hear that the entering cohort will be working off of a 28 class hours/week model.

There is also something else I want to comment on, because I see it consistently on these forums and to individuals I speak to in person. If you are extremely concerned about the amount of time spent learning the osteopathic principles and practice seriously ask yourself why you are applying to an osteopathic institution. If you have no interest in learning the osteopathic principles and practice please don't attend an osteopathic institution. You will not like it, you will end up complaining reflecting negatively on you and the institution you attend.

5. PDX4709

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone! I'm a 1st year but I haven't been following this page but if you have any questions, let me know!

6. BlueBleck

Medical Student
    God save the poor souls that're going to walk in on that mess. I would actually advise people away from westernu if they did that. I'm already of the opinion that we have too many mandatory sessions, which is approaching 3-4 hours/day this unit.

7. Eddie2016

Non-Student
    At the interview, we were told that the students only come to school 2 days a week and rest of the week they watch lectures and study on their own.

Also, that the curriculum change might not be ready by the new class comes in.

Wonder what will actually happen!

8. littlebelvedere

littlebelvedere embowafa

Pre-Medical
    I finally heard back! And I was rejected.
    I will be attending AZCOM in the fall as this made the decision for me :) Good luck to you all!!

Danzal, Eddie2016 and marmoora like this.
  9. Danzal

Do you know what percentage of the alternate list got in for your year? I appreciate you helping us noobs out haha

10. Danzal

littlebelvedere likes this.
  11. elsy

anyone heard back from 2/15 interview group? :dead:

12. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical
    I was in that group too, I'm hoping we'll hear back soon!

13. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    I believe half of us will hear back this Friday! Knowing my luck, I’ll be the half to not hear back until the week after

14. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical

15. GatsbyK

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    I'll see some of you there tomorrow!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. michellesuzie

Pre-Medical
    Rejected and so so disappointed. Best of luck to all of you!

18. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical
    I'm so sorry to hear that! What day did you interview and how did you find out?

19. michellesuzie

Pre-Medical
    Found out last friday and interviewed 2/1. They sent an email about a portal change.

20. mdmy318

Pre-Medical
    Hi! Interviewing tomorrow, I was wondering if anyone had any tips and how you liked the school if you interviewed? :)

21. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    Feb. 15’ers! Checking my portal like a crazy person from earlier today even though they apparently (typically) don’t respond until Friday evening. So much anxiety!

22. acbakshi

Pre-Medical
    They will send you an email that there’s an update to your portal Just keep email notifications on and you’re good! Haha

23. grateful_phys

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I am in same situation. Did you have any luck trying to get your deposit back? & did you just email them?

24. nascardude56

Pre-Medical
    Did anyone from the Feb 15th interview hear back yet?

marmoora likes this.
  25. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical
    My friend did and she got in! It sounds like they’re do it alphabetically. My last name is M, so I think I’ll hear back next week.

nascardude56 likes this.
  26. nascardude56

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the info! MY last name also starts with M so I think we will hear back next Friday. Best of luck

27. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    I know someone whose last name starts with a B and still hasn’t heard back lol

28. BlueBleck

Medical Student
    The two mandatory days they're referring to are clinical skills class and OMM. Those are indeed, typically without exception, required and take place over the course of two days during the week. I agree that these should be required even if I don't enjoy them.

There are also occasionally mandatory lectures. Every unit is slightly different, but this week worked out to at least one mandatory lecture/module per day. I'd say half of the lectures/modules this unit, blood and lymph, were required. No bueno. Other units such as anatomy had no mandatory lectures. None of the mandatory things this unit were helpful. Pretty disappointed that they're doing this.

Anywho, there are two possible conclusions from this: they don't trust us to self study (reasonable imo). they don't want to lecture to a nearly empty classroom (unreasonable imo). Either is plausible to me.

Yumazae likes this.
  29. GSWfan15

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Thanks for sharing this info!

Would you say the occasional mandatory lectures thing is new or did the class above you have them as well? Also, are the vast majority of lectures still not mandatory?

Just trying to get a better sense for how it’ll be, although they mentioned the upcoming curriculum change was supposed to decrease “contact hours”.

BlueBleck likes this.
  30. BlueBleck

Medical Student
    The class above us had the same small group problem based learning thing. Not sure how many hours theirs were. But there seems to be a few profs who are very very insistent that lecture attendance is good and should be mandated. I'm sure they have been and are pushing for more of these things.

Not sure if you're 2022, but if you are (hella congrats btw), the curriculum is supposed to be super revamped for y'all. Not sure what they're planning.

GSWfan15, Yumazae and acbakshi like this.
  31. California Bear

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone have any updates regarding ISAC this summer? Will it still be offered?

32. CupofJava

As far as I know there are still interviews being held. There's one date on March 15th. Would really appreciate it if any one knew how many seats are currently filled for the DO program. Thanks so much!

33. California Bear

Pre-Medical
    Just confirmed that ISAC will be offered! Anyone planning on enrolling this summer?

34. missmd123

Any idea when it starts? :)

35. GSWfan15

Too early... it began June 19 in 2017.

36. GatsbyK

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    I believe there are quite a bit of seats still left. From what I remember during 3/1 interview, I think they had under 200 seats filled for their class size of about 240.

37. CupofJava

Thanks! How did your interview go, if you don't mind me asking?

38. GatsbyK

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    It was great, everyone was very friendly and was easy to talk to. Definitely a load of presentations and waiting tho.

39. CupofJava

How did you like the MMI's? Fairly manageable? Great to hear about the welcoming atmosphere. I'm sure, lots of presentations and waiting haha.

40. GatsbyK

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    You get 2 MMI and its fairly short. Honestly I don't know how I feel about the MMI since it was my first one and I'm not sure how I did on it because they give you almost no feedback. Apparently, they have the top national Comlex 2 PE scores and their patient simulations are top notch, so you can assume how the MMI should go. I just youtube'd some very generic MMI situations but other than that I wouldn't really suggest "practicing" for it because you really can't. However, I feel I did better on the panel, since all the other schools do panel interviews.

41. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    Still waiting to hear back from 02/15 interviews. Waiting is so hard.

elsy likes this.
  42. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical
    I know! I was 2/15 too. I'm hoping to hear back on Thursday.

GeorgiaDude and elsy like this.
  43. elsy

same here! has anyone heard back from 2/15? and if they only give out responses on thursdays?

44. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical
    My friend found out last Thursday and her last name is B. She found out last Thursday when she got an email saying that her portal had been updated. So yeah, I'm thinking we're gonna find out soon.

45. GeorgiaDude

I interviewed on 2/15 and haven't heard anything yet. And my last name starts with a B. I am so nervous lol, I just wanna know lol

46. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical
    Me too! Hopefully we find out today!!

GeorgiaDude likes this.
  47. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    I think they said they meet on Thursdays but reply on Fridays so hopefully tomorrow!!

Ash_de_Shiraz likes this.
  48. Ash_de_Shiraz

Pre-Medical
    While almost 200/240 seats have been already filled and everyone is commenting about their final decisions coming out, I wait in despair for an interview. What a great feeling.

dr.asp likes this.
  49. Sammmmmy

Pre-Medical
    How do you know 200/240 seats are filled?

marmoora likes this.
  50. dr.asp

Pre-Medical
    Same, I thought I was the only one getting radio silence from them.

51. GeorgiaDude

I was just accepted :):):):) I interviewed 2/15 in the blue group, red suit if anyone was there haha. Good luck to everyone else!

Does anyone know when the deposit is due? My thing says March 8 at 9 pm. But that is today, and I just got accepted 10 mins ago so I feel like that is wrong...

52. Camou_Cat

Any international students applying/attending here?