2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those with published research, how are you approaching the research section? Are you uploading pdf files of the articles and the listing them in the space provided? What if you have more than one publication? I really don't want to upload several files...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else still waiting on a secondary? Wondering if I should email admissions or if this is a silent "we're not interested."

I'm still waiting :(, but to be fair, I submitted my primary application last week (it was just verified on 7/30), so I guess it's going to be a while before I actually get any news.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got Lebanon campus secondary yesterday :)
Still working on Pomona though

On their website, it says that you will be invited for a secondary if you meet the minimum requirements. Anyone know what they are?

On their website, it says that you will be invited for a secondary if you meet the minimum requirements. Anyone know what they are?

I couldn't find any reference to minimum MCAT or GPA. This is off the website.

Application Requirements
Effective with the 2015 entering class, WesternU/COMP will require confirmation of a baccalaureate degree as a requirement for matriculation

Completion of the majority of prerequisite courses listed

Completion of a minimum of 90 semester units from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or its equivalent abroad at time of application

Submitted official Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) scores to AACOMAS

• Scores cannot be older than three (3) years
Two letters of recommendation

• One (1) from a physician (MD or DO only, DO preferred
  • One (1) from a science professor OR from a university health professions committee

I couldn't find any reference to minimum MCAT or GPA. This is off the website.

Application Requirements
Effective with the 2015 entering class, WesternU/COMP will require confirmation of a baccalaureate degree as a requirement for matriculation

Completion of the majority of prerequisite courses listed

Completion of a minimum of 90 semester units from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or its equivalent abroad at time of application

Submitted official Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) scores to AACOMAS

• Scores cannot be older than three (3) years
Two letters of recommendation

• One (1) from a physician (MD or DO only, DO preferred
  • One (1) from a science professor OR from a university health professions committee
Thank you! I found this too, but I was referring more to the MCAT and GPA cutoff. Thank you much though :)

Questions for you guys...
1. I have multiple research experiences, so how do I add multiple experiences with multiple documents to upload?

2. Same scenario with Clinical Experience, I've worked as an ER/Trauma Tech and EMT, as well as volunteered at a hospital and shadowed multiple doctors, how do I add all these experiences when I am asked to indicate a physician? or are they only looking for shadowing experience?

Last edited:
Anyone not reply to the 'Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?' question?

Same scenario with Clinical Experience, I've worked as an ER/Trauma Tech and EMT, as well as volunteered at a hospital and shadowed multiple doctors, how do I add all these experiences when I am asked to indicate a physician? or are they only looking for shadowing experience?

I called them about this question as I also was curious since I work at a hospital and therefore have interacted with several doctors. The person over the phone told me to pick one or two doctors that I felt the closest with and put their names down, but overall it sounds like they want names of people and not the name of the hospital/clinic you worked at. And they are not just looking for shadowing experience, they said that clinical experience in general is fine.

Just got an email stating they wanted to learn more about my goals and so they had me fill out a short info type thing. The strangest thing was they sent this to one of my old email addresses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email stating they wanted to learn more about my goals and so they had me fill out a short info type thing. The strangest thing was they sent this to one of my old email addresses.
Did you submit a secondary? And are you a reapplicant? Sometimes schools send reapplicants emails to their old addresses.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Did you submit a secondary? And are you a reapplicant? Sometimes schools send reapplicants emails to their old addresses.

None of the above. They wrote "As you continue your search for the “right” institution we hope you’ll consider WesternU. Reach out to us any time – we have so much more to share." I'm just like, how 'bout you share with me your secondary so I can continue to consider your school!

Reactions: 1 users
None of the above. They wrote "As you continue your search for the “right” institution we hope you’ll consider WesternU. Reach out to us any time – we have so much more to share." I'm just like, how 'bout you share with me your secondary so I can continue to consider your school!
Oh I got that email before my secondary!

Just received my secondary from Pomona and Lebanon 5 minutes ago! I was verified on 7/26 for reference!

Anyone know what/if the secondary screen is? And if they're selective at all?

Secondary for Lebanon received! LM 61-64

Secondary just now! CA resident, Lizzy M~65, primary + letters complete July 1

Secondary recieved for both campuses!

I just received both secondaries today and on the portal, it says that I've started the secondary on July 28 (Pomona) and July 26 (Lebanon). Is anyone else experiencing that? I wonder if it'll matter...

I just received both secondaries today and on the portal, it says that I've started the secondary on July 28 (Pomona) and July 26 (Lebanon). Is anyone else experiencing that? I wonder if it'll matter...

I have the exact same thing! I feel like it doesn't matter since they didn't have a strict deadline for submitting secondaries. Glad we're in the same boat!

I first received an email for a secondary for Pomona campus on 7/26, then got an email for Lebanon campus on 7/28. I was unable to access the Lebanon campus app prior to the email. That's just how it happened for me, not sure if it is of use to you, but thought I'd share it.

I have the exact same thing! I feel like it doesn't matter since they didn't have a strict deadline for submitting secondaries. Glad we're in the same boat!

Yeah they don't have a strict deadline but they say to submit it within 10 days to avoid any delay in processing

Question 9: Can I submit my secondary application after the 30-day deadline?
Yes. However, it is highly recommended that you submit your application as early as possible. Submitting your application later may result in delayed processing. The committee will not review your file until all required documents have been received. Since we interview and offer acceptances on a rolling basis beginning in September, it is definitely to your advantage to submit your application and all supporting documents to us within the 10-day time frame.

Just received both secondaries today- these ones are going to take a while... :boom:

Is anyone else's status for "Processed by Enrollment Data Services (EDS)" still marked as Awaiting?

Is anyone else's status for "Processed by Enrollment Data Services (EDS)" still marked as Awaiting?

Yup but i just submitted today. Has anyone gotten an application complete notification yet?

Does Western Northwest (Oregon) have a different mission statement from the Pomona campus? I'm disappointed that the questions across the two campuses are not the same :(

Does Western Northwest (Oregon) have a different mission statement from the Pomona campus? I'm disappointed that the questions across the two campuses are not the same :(
3 out of the 4 questions are the same! That's pretty good. And yeah same mission and curriculum across both campuses

Question 9: Can I submit my secondary application after the 30-day deadline?
Yes. However, it is highly recommended that you submit your application as early as possible. Submitting your application later may result in delayed processing. The committee will not review your file until all required documents have been received. Since we interview and offer acceptances on a rolling basis beginning in September, it is definitely to your advantage to submit your application and all supporting documents to us within the 10-day time frame.

Thank god my DO letter of rec has been dragging his feet since April and I am starting to stress about getting my DO schools completed with all of these deadlines.

Questions for you guys...
1. I have multiple research experiences, so how do I add multiple experiences with multiple documents to upload?

What did you end up doing for the multiple research experiences?

Also, if my research wasn't published, what do I upload? Is it worth to mention an abstract publication?

What did you end up doing for the multiple research experiences?

Also, if my research wasn't published, what do I upload? Is it worth to mention an abstract publication?

For dates, I put when I started my first research experience and when I ended my last research experience.
For subject, I put Psychology, Biology, Biology.
For why it was valuable, there is no word or character limit, so I put 1. 2. 3. and explained each experience briefly (it was already included on my primary app) and why it was valuable to me.

I uploaded the research papers I wrote.

I indicated that I was not the primary researcher nor was anything published.

I believe you should mention whatever you can. They are trying to understand who you are on paper and decide if they want to get to know you in person, so every little thing can help.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thank god my DO letter of rec has been dragging his feet since April and I am starting to stress about getting my DO schools completed with all of these deadlines.

I understand it's stressful, I wake up every morning anxious to look at my email to see if I was invited to interview! Many of us are in the same boat as you applying to multiple schools. We all want to be physicians, and many of us have the same experiences, but how you communicate the experience is so crucial. Take your time in writing quality answers. If it came down to the wire, you won't get rejected because you took 11 days instead of 10, it will be how well you communicated your answer to their question. Take it one app at a time, you can do this!

Last edited:
" Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you. "

Is this question asking specifically about why do you want to practice and study medicine in the pacific NW as in the region? Or the school? Thank you!

Yeah they don't have a strict deadline but they say to submit it within 10 days to avoid any delay in processing

Yeah I think submitting within the 10 day period is ideal.. which means I basically have to submit today

" Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you. "

Is this question asking specifically about why do you want to practice and study medicine in the pacific NW as in the region? Or the school? Thank you!

I think it's asking about why the region specifically because the other question asks why COMP Northwest (the school) this question asks about Pacific NW (the region)

Last edited:
For those with published research, how are you approaching the research section? Are you uploading pdf files of the articles and the listing them in the space provided? What if you have more than one publication? I really don't want to upload several files...

I'm submitting all my articles in word format.. none of my work has been published yet, but I did upload more than one document.

For Lebanon, the email included some stats for last year: ~3,000 primary apps, ~1,300 secondary apps, ~300 interviews, ~200 offers.

So either they're selective with who gets a secondary, or people get sick of writing them and don't submit.

For Lebanon, the email included some stats for last year: ~3,000 primary apps, ~1,300 secondary apps, ~300 interviews, ~200 offers.

So either they're selective with who gets a secondary, or people get sick of writing them and don't submit.

I didn't get an email with stats. It was the same email as Pomona campus, they just changed 'Pomona' to 'Lebanon', how odd. Do you mind copying and pasting the email you received?

How did you go about answering the questions about your most memorable community service? I feel like I wrote about my most memorable community service for my primary... any suggestions?!

How did you go about answering the questions about your most memorable community service? I feel like I wrote about my most memorable community service for my primary... any suggestions?!

I touched on a few experiences in my primary, but I went into more detail for one particular experience for this secondary. Might I suggest you talk about another experience you had, the 2nd most memorable? You could also speak about an experience as a whole. For instance, I've been an ER tech for a few years, so I could have talked about the entire experience of being a trauma tech vs. one single patient or event while I was a tech. Also keep in mind that they want to get to know who you are and your personality to see if you are a fit for their program, and they can get that info from even mundane experiences, but you need to write it very well to get the point across. How about your first community service experience, or the most frustrating, the time you made a big mistake, the time you wish you could have done more? All experience worthy of talking about, they can show your character and personality as well as how you've grown personally and professionally.

Not sure if I was of any help, but best of luck!

Last edited: