Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by chizledfrmstone, Apr 18, 2017.

1. JW4Gdud

Medical Student
    They interview you means they consider you. Every school tries to select the most qualified students. You have to ask yourself how much do you like WesternU COMP and how does it compare to the ones accepted you. I spent travel money on other schools and finally paid WesternU deposit in November. Now, I settled on the WesternU after rejected by my own school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GeorgiaDude

Medical Student (Accepted)
    No
    Notified via email. You could be in the half of our interview group that won’t be discussed in the committee til next week. So I would freak out over it :)

4. GeorgiaDude

Out of state, 505, 3.6, published research paper, lots of research, lots of shadowing

Also I think it helped a lot that I got along AMAZINGLY with my two interviewers. Like i could feel they loved me and I loved them

5. GeorgiaDude

So there was like 80 people on my day. They split you into four groups that are all different colors. They literally don’t mean anything, it’s just a way to split people up and make it easier to move people to the different parts of the interview. Good luck!

6. GeorgiaDude

Omg he was so fineeee lol

7. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    Shouldn’t today be the last day to be notified for 2/15?! It’s been 3 weeks and people heard back last week too!

8. GeorgiaDude

I feel like the other schools have been running behind in letting people know. Don’t worry about thgh

9. elsy

I have never refreshed my email this much in a day before lmao I hope we hear back by today! One girl I kept in contact with in my group (green) got accepted yesterday.

#1458 elsy, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    marmoora likes this.
  10. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    To everyone who interviewed on 2/15 and still hasn’t heard back, I called Admissions just a few minutes ago to ask if they were releasing them today, and Martha said that they are delayed and expected to update them sometime on Tuesday! Figured I’d share that info to everyone else who is draining their phone battery from email refreshing. Enjoy your weekend!

elsy likes this.
  11. Icebreaker05

Pre-Medical
    Oh man.....another 4 days of waiting =(

12. SergeantBuzzKill

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does interview day actually go until 2:00pm? And about how long did it take you to get through security at Ontario International Airport? I booked an outgoing flight that departs at 4:10pm and wondering if I just screwed myself over...

13. SergeantBuzzKill

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can students bring luggage to the interview?

EDIT: How is the UBER service around here?

#1462 SergeantBuzzKill, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  14. tangmello

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yep! They have a location you can leave your luggage at. Ubering there is easy too! You should be fine!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

SergeantBuzzKill likes this.
  15. BlueBleck

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I respectfully disagree that the masters program is worth it and to substantiate that, I will point you towards the residency program director survey (just google, "residency program director survey"). Per the survey, board scores >>> LOR > dean's letter > grades in clerkships > personal statement > class rank > perceived committment to specialty > leadership qualities > audition rotation > consistency of grades > AOA (honors) membership > other life experience.

As you can see, basically everything ranks above, "other life experience," which is where I would slot the extra degree. Perhaps you could get a minor boost in your deans' letter or a mildly better personal statement, but I'm not convinced it's worth your time.

Also, the value of a degree is often correlated with the prestige of the granting instutition. While I think that people do respect western's DO program, I'm not sure how people view its other programs. It is well known that there exist post-bac programs around the country that exist for the purpose of boosting med school applicants' numbers. In other words, it could very well be seen as a med school stepping stone, not a residency stepping stone.

All of that said, if you need a booster year to reacclimate yourself to academics, that doesn't seem like a bad option. But if you're solely concerned about residency placement, skip the extra degree and just kill boards.

(my 2 cents as first year. Grain of salt and all that because.., again.., i'm a first year. To my credit though, I regularly browse /r/medschool and infrequently browse sdn and this seems to be the often touted advice by the upperclassmen, so it's not completely out of thin air that I conjure this up.)

marmoora, JW4Gdud and missmd123 like this.
  16. Icebreaker05

Pre-Medical
    If I recall correctly, my interview date ended closer to 2:30ish-3pm.....Even with CLEAR or TSA precheck, it would be pushing it for a 4:10pm departure. I mean, I think they board 40 min before take off? and I'm assuming it'll take you AT LEAST 20-30 min to get there from Pomona. I would reschedule if you can for a later flight....but then the last hour or so was just more of the orientation so I'm sure you'd be able to leave early? I'd check with admin on this...

SergeantBuzzKill likes this.
  17. nascardude56

Pre-Medical
    Did anyone call the school to see when the deposit is due for those accepted from the 2/15 interview? I don't think the current date of 3/8/18 is correct since thats the same day some decisions came out and at the interview, they said we will get 2 weeks to reply.

18. GeorgiaDude

I freaked out over this but you are able to accept it immediately and not pay the deposit. You can accept the offer and still wait two weeks to pay.

19. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical
    It said on mine it's due the 22nd of this month

20. nascardude56

Pre-Medical
    I ended up calling in the morning and they had to manually fix my "Reply by" date, hope this helps someone else!

21. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is and how many tickets we get? Thanks!

22. Scrubb

Scrubb SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  23. elsy

anyone from 2/15 interview heard back yet? ._.

24. blerghhh

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know if we're actually going to hear back today??

25. thunder_thighs_save_lives

Pre-Medical
    I heard back last week, they split the group up and supposedly the second half is hearing back today.

26. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    Nothing yet :(

27. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    That’s what I was told on Friday. You can call and ask

28. elsy

so I just called and they said it may take up to 4 weeks and no specific day of when they might be getting back to us... :boom: i have a feeling we won't hear back by end of this week.

29. blerghhh

Pre-Medical
    I also just called, they told me the same thing :(

30. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    Whaaaa?! It’s already been 3.5 weeks?! It’ll be 4 weeks on Thursday!

31. elsy

Freals... so frustrating :dead:

32. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    I was told portals will hopefully be updated tomorrow

33. Ash_de_Shiraz

Pre-Medical
    yea it is. But alot of ppl are on waitlist or haven't accepted their admissions. So it is probably around 200/240 right now.

34. elsy

let another email refreshing game begin!

marmoora, Peds_123 and blerghhh like this.
  35. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    Why do I feel like we won’t hear until Friday?? Since Admissions meets every Thursday, I highly highly doubt that they’re gonna have an additional meeting just for us :( RIP to my sanity and phone battery

36. blerghhh

Pre-Medical
    Any other 2/15ers still waiting? I was in the yellow group, I don't know if they did it by color or anything

marmoora likes this.
  37. elsy

Right there with you. Idt its by color bc a girl in my group (green) got a call last week :/ it could be totally random. Ugh they need to hurry up i just want to move on w my life already :arghh:

38. Icebreaker05

Pre-Medical
    2/15er here still waiting too.....I was in the red group, seems like ppl from different colored groups have gotten an acceptance so I doubt they're going by color group. I think maybe by last name? Or maybe I'm just telling myself that because mine is a T and I still havent heard....

39. blerghhh

Pre-Medical
    D last name here, so probably not alphabetical D:

40. elsy

I hope they’re not making us wait this long just to send out rejections in the end. Does anyone know if ppl got rejected from 2/15 interview date as well??

41. Peds_123

Pre-Medical
    Are interviews still being offered?

drums&scrubs and sean1020 like this.
  42. mqtpi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haven’t heard back club —> me 0.0

elsy, marmoora and blerghhh like this.
  43. Lec285

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you guys think match week will delay acceptances going out? I’m from the 3/1 interview group...

44. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    There’s still a group of us from 02/15 that haven’t heard back yet and are supposed to hear today, so I assume you guys will be delayed an additional week too unless they can manage to catch up

45. Icebreaker05

Pre-Medical
    ayyyyyy hold up buddy.... we 2/15ers are still dyinggg waiting!!!!

elsy, marmoora and blerghhh like this.
  46. Lec285

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sorry! I know the waiting is the hardest part! I keep thinking up new things to do to distract myself from constantly refreshing my email. My apartment has never been cleaner...

elsy likes this.
  47. Icebreaker05

Pre-Medical
    I feel you....imagine waiting another 2 weeks like we have been so far.....freaking sucksss

elsy likes this.
  48. elsy

I realllyyyyy hope we hear back by today. I called earlier and all they told me is that we have to wait until they notify us :dead:

49. Icebreaker05

Pre-Medical
    Jeez really? They didn't say when that would be? I just can't imagine it being longer than 4 weeks!!! Your earlier post got me a little worried, I hope they're not waiting just to send out rejections. I just think with 80ppl on our interview day, we would've heard from more (acceptances and rejections) if half have been already notified....????

50. elsy

Yeah they said they can’t give out status of application over the phone... so ridiculous its almost the end of the day already. And omg stop it lets not assume and hope for the best. I mean I’d like to think that ppl who were def a no were given their notice earlier because why would they wait??? That’s just cruel. I think no news is good news since they’re still considering us. Sigh.

marmoora likes this.
  51. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    02/15!! I refreshed the portal and saw an update, but still haven't received the official email, so try refreshing the portal! I was placed on the alternate list.